Recently-abandoned games Page 318

• Rodney 29 Mar 2021 13:59:23 4,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    It's so interesting reading your breakdowns. Like taking a saddle off. 120 hours on the clock, and I did it twice.

None of the examples mention things that you actually do a lot of. It's perplexing to me.

No doubt I've been similarly irked my small things in other games - although I have become a lot more picky about what I start thanks to the PigWhip challenge - so it's interesting to see someone else feeling that about a game that I adored. Not unconditionally, though - there's a fuck of a lot wrong with RDR2, I just didn't find the pacing nor the controls particularly offensive.
    Individually these things donít take much time or arenít required too often, but itís the cumulative impact from so many little annoyances, on top of an already slow game,
  • RyanDS 29 Mar 2021 17:16:31 13,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I honestly thought rdr2 was a 2/10 game. It looked pretty and clearly had lots of care and attention put into it but no one ever actually thought to add gameplay and fun.

I honestly fucking hated every second of the 5 odd hours I put into trying to move a sluggish tank of a man around with a terrible control scheme that took 7 minutes to lovingly show the animation of how to open a can of beans. It pretty much summed up all the worst of aaa gaming with such a waste of so much work put into something so dull.
  • SiroccoJetProp 29 Mar 2021 17:38:45 380 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

I enjoy I good walking simulator or whatever you call it but this game is far too slow. The rendition of a small English village is lovely but I can't put myself through it any longer.
  • DangerousDave_87 29 Mar 2021 17:39:34 6,962 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I'm completely with Rodney here. The original is one of my all-time favourite games. I just felt this game really pushing me to put the effort in to get any enjoyment out of it in return.
    I have wondered - given the rather contrived link between the two games - if they might've fared better with a brand new franchise. Call it Death of the Old West and just use a new cast of characters.
    I mean, I don't think it would have changed my overall opinion of the game, but perhaps I would have gone in with refined expectations. Most folk I know love the game, so I know I'm in the minority here.

I was clearly hoping for more of the same, just on a larger scale. Perhaps I forget just how sluggish player movement was in the original. I didn't imagine I'd be completing menial errands in a camp for Dead Eye upgrades or doing missions in which I'd have to learn how to shop or store and manage horses. And it all feels so slow and sluggish.

Perhaps I should go back and give it another shot. I only completed the first two chapters after all.
  • Phattso 29 Mar 2021 17:46:35 27,073 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Most of the complaints I've heard in the last two pages are things that I either barely did or never did at all. Dead eye upgrades? I picked up enough organically - and the game basically aims for you anyway with the snap aiming so what does it matter? :)

Granted the game doesn't go out of its way to tell you what's important and what's not, but it does feel like if you guys really REALLY hate taking baths, cleaning weapons, and collecting trinkets for upgrades... perhaps stop taking baths, cleaning weapons, and collecting trinkets. I'd wager the impact to progress would be minimal, and the increase to your enjoyment substantial.

All that other stuff is the equivalent of the item vomit in an Ubisoft game, and is best treated as such!

But for sure none of that is going to make it a carbon copy of the original, speed up the pace, or improve the well-worn and tired combat nor the rather limited pool of (thematically varied and well acted) mission types.
  • PierrePressure 29 Mar 2021 18:17:29 1,395 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think we can all agree that Rockstar need to bin tapping X to sprint though.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Mar 2021 18:32:06 26,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:

I enjoy I good walking simulator or whatever you call it but this game is far too slow. The rendition of a small English village is lovely but I can't put myself through it any longer.
    I understand, but I love this game and soundtrack, truly hit the 80's vibe. Will always remain in my top ?? PS4 experiences.
  • Phattso 29 Mar 2021 18:34:11 27,073 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    I think we can all agree that Rockstar need to bin tapping X to sprint though.
    Honestly, if they can't make it work right they should bin Euphoria and start from scratch. I don't care what buttons I have to press, but those run cycles looked like Arthur had shat his dacks.

And, I'm sure even us lovers and haters of the game can agree, nothing ruins a perfect Old West sunset more than a hairy, stinking, cowboy lurching across the screen on a run of shame to the privvy.

Edited by Phattso at 18:34:26 29-03-2021
  • dfunked09 29 Mar 2021 18:41:28 1,991 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Phattso
    That's probably why some people feel the need to bathe Arthur after every 30 minutes of playtime.
  • Zippity-zap 29 Mar 2021 21:08:20 632 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The RDR2 control system makes it the very worst AAA that I have played. Awful, awful controls.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Mar 2021 21:11:07 16,904 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I gave up as soon as it stopped been snowy.

I have played walking simulators that have better controls and move at a faster pace.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Mar 2021 23:06:26 10,948 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I gave up as soon as it stopped been snowy.

I have played walking simulators that have better controls and move at a faster pace.
    I didnít even get that far... I think it was the reload after every shot and I went, nahhhhhh Iím good.
  • Rogueywon 29 Mar 2021 23:11:24 11,530 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Octodad and Surgeon Simulator had better controls.
  • addybV3 29 Mar 2021 23:40:11 220 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Fucking loved rdr2. Controls were fine,
    Quite tempted to run through it again. Will try maintaining a massive erection throughout.
  • Rodney 29 Mar 2021 23:50:13 4,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The bath scenes may help with that.

Did anyone else think there was going to be a press x for handjob moment when the bath mechanic was first introduced. It seemed to tease the idea, or was that my own dirty mind projecting.
  • Your-Mother 30 Mar 2021 00:02:09 7,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really liked the controls in RDR2. I thought it fit the game perfectly and lent it a more weighty feel, both literally and figuratively. Definitely not something for every game but for the specific RDR2 experience I loved it. It's a not a game you're supposed to be 360 no-scoping bounties from a million yards away etc.
  • SolidSCB 30 Mar 2021 00:08:56 15,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really, really liked it for the combat but it was a bit much for the minute to minute side of things. It was draining over such a long game having to basically QWOP your way through menial tasks like buying ammo.

Edited by SolidSCB at 00:09:06 30-03-2021
  • Rum_Monkey 30 Mar 2021 00:09:41 2,666 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The only thing I disliked was that you have the turning circle of a tank, the rest is fine.
  • Rogueywon 30 Mar 2021 00:18:38 11,530 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Tanks have a pretty good turning circle, with the treads and everything. An oil tanker, perhaps?
  • Rum_Monkey 30 Mar 2021 00:27:08 2,666 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This is a tank that has had its treads blown off and fruit transfered from the RAF to drive it.
  • docrob 30 Mar 2021 00:38:31 1,771 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can recognise that there was a lot of potentially tedious stuff in RDR2, but somehow it didnít annoy me. Like, hardly at all. As opposed to, say, the inventory management in Divinity:original Sin 1 and 2, which nearly drove me insane despite how much I loved them otherwise. I dunno, I was playing on PC, so perhaps things such as taking a bath or searching places worked a bit faster than on console?

The only bits that I found really annoying were duels (I found it hard to get them to work properly) and the sections where the save function was disabled for no apparent reason. I ended up in bed at 2am on a work night because of that. First a whole chapter off the main map, then a long cinematic horse ride, a long cut-scene and then another huge battle, all without letting you save once. Oh, and the epilogue was way way way too long.

The rest of it I loved. Yes, even the long horse rides. The game world is absolutely gorgeous and it made me appreciate it more.
  • Dombat 30 Mar 2021 06:44:54 1,913 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I loved RDR2 myself and didnít mind the slow animations for stuff. I was fine with how slow paced the game is because it suits the setting and I found the world so well crafted and immersive.

I wouldnít necessarily want all or even most open world games to play like that but in this instance it works for me, and Iím not even particularly a fan of Rockstar Games.
  • Zippity-zap 30 Mar 2021 07:33:42 632 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I read that Arthur Morgan got stuck in the Suez Canal.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 10:29:43 40,510 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I always thought I am pretty cack-handed with a pad, but going by some of the problems people had with RDR2, I feel reasonably adept now. :D
  • Syrette 30 Mar 2021 10:37:07 51,081 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:

I understand, but I love this game and soundtrack, truly hit the 80's vibe. Will always remain in my top ?? PS4 experiences.
    Yeah, it's honestly one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

I love the pace, tone and vibe, basically the whole English-ness of it, and the feeling of utter solitude mixed in with the whole eerie er, ghost-liness (another made up word...).

But these games definitely aren't for everyone, I get that. I think they suffer the moment they overstay their welcome too.

Edited by Syrette at 10:37:17 30-03-2021
  • welshben1982 30 Mar 2021 11:42:58 1,368 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Yeah, I loved RDR2 myself and didnít mind the slow animations for stuff. I was fine with how slow paced the game is because it suits the setting and I found the world so well crafted and immersive.

I wouldnít necessarily want all or even most open world games to play like that but in this instance it works for me, and Iím not even particularly a fan of Rockstar Games.
    I totally agree with you, I'm sure some people on here thought they were playing or wanted to play, Need For Speed:Cowboy Edition!
  • DangerousDave_87 30 Mar 2021 11:57:02 6,962 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I always thought I am pretty cack-handed with a pad, but going by some of the problems people had with RDR2, I feel reasonably adept now. :D
    It's not that its difficult to control, its just feels too sluggish and slow. I've always hated Rockstar's player controls, but it's so bad in this one it almost feels like you're instructing an on screen character on how and where to move, rather than manipulating them. It's as if they've created a video game version of the old TV show Knightmare.

Seriously though, its the impression the game makes, I suppose. Sluggish and convoluted controls, a very slow opening few chapters with long journeys back and forth, opening cupboards and draws to loot, plenty of tutorials for boring things thrown into early missions, like learning to shop and look after your characters weight and well being, many opportunities to do boring things like carry sacks of food around, shave your face, take baths, etc... Even if you dont have to do all this afterward, this is how the game presents itself to you in the opening 10 - 15 hours.

Its incredibly tedious and gives the impression that they've spent too long focusing on implementing unnecessary features badly and not enough time on basic things like controls and player movement.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 12:15:04 40,510 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Got to disagree with this fundamentally - yes, the characters control a bit sluggish in Rockstar's games, but it's a compromise I am willing to accept in exchange for the physics and the feeling that your character is really part of that world. There are few, if any, other games where this is even remotely as convincing. Dragon's Dogma did a pretty good job (Capcom in generally is good at this), as did Zelda: BoTW.

A counter-example: in the Yakuza games, controlling your character feels like steering a lifesize papier m‚chť puppet, and that's almost the norm for 3rd person games.

That said, many of the complaints regarding the controls were about pressing the wrong buttons and accidentally shooting people, so I don' entirely buy the "it's not difficult, just sluggish" argument as far as you speak for other people. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 12:15:55 30-03-2021
  • monkman76 30 Mar 2021 12:20:26 18,544 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's all opinions isn't it. I get what you're saying in principle Lou, but I find the reverse - I'm so busy fighting with the controls and waiting for animations to finish that I'm taken *out* of the world, not more immersed. And for sure there are other 3rd person games which go too far the other way, but there is a middle ground. Off the top of my head, I thought Sam in Death Stranding controlled really well but I'm sure there are others I can't think of now.
  • Trafford 30 Mar 2021 12:21:49 9,201 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As gamers it's often about us being in the right state of mind.
    I loved RDR2 but sacked it off after my first attempt. Went back to it last year and sank 150 hours into it, lapping it up. And I never once punched my horse or shot the wrong man.

*Yup, Death Stranding as well. Another 100+ hours , great game for me last year.

Edited by Trafford at 12:23:39 30-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.