Recently-abandoned games Page 319

• UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 12:23:31 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Death Stranding is a good example, you're right. I'll add one thing: it's not just your character that "behaves" correctly, it's everyone else, and the animals. Going from somethign like RDR2 to, say, AssCreed Valhalla feels incredibly dated to me, like traveling two generations back.

That said, if anyone's engine/games benefit from 60fps, it's Rockstar's. Let's hope we'll see a 60fps next gen version of RDR2.
  • Phattso 30 Mar 2021 12:23:51 27,020 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    It's all opinions isn't it. I get what you're saying in principle Lou, but I find the reverse - I'm so busy fighting with the controls and waiting for animations to finish that I'm taken *out* of the world, not more immersed. And for sure there are other 3rd person games which go too far the other way, but there is a middle ground. Off the top of my head, I thought Sam in Death Stranding controlled really well but I'm sure there are others I can't think of now.
    Yeah, but Sam can't ride a horse whilst shooting fools in the face with a rifle; jump onto a moving stagecoach, have some fisticuffs, back on to a different house, and continue shooting fools in the face. As an example.

That's what I don't get when so many people complain about turning a fucking page in a store catalogue. JUMPING ONTO A MOVING STAGECOACH WHILST SHOOTING FOOLS IN THE FACE. Feels like focusing in on the wrong shit and missing the upside to me.
  • monkman76 30 Mar 2021 12:26:05 18,386 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's just because they're different games though. Arthur can't do those things because of the fussy animation and physics systems

(Autocorrect wanted to write arthritis instead of Arthur. HOW PERFECT)
  • Phattso 30 Mar 2021 12:26:57 27,020 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    :D
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 12:38:26 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Haha. :D

Or take simple things, like riding into a tree. Then do the same thing in all the other games that have horses. It makes RDR2 look like a game from the future.

Edited by UncleLou at 12:38:39 30-03-2021
  • monkman76 30 Mar 2021 12:41:30 18,386 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It looks more realistic, for sure, but I'll take the other game letting me get on my way 3 seconds quicker generally unless it looks really bad.

Also: just don't ride your horse into a tree. :)
  • JamboWayOh 30 Mar 2021 12:43:49 23,585 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ass Creed Odyssey had some terrible horse riding animation, actually the whole walking animations for characters was just terrible full stop, it felt the complete opposite of RDR2 where my character wasn't part of the world and I was effectively skating over the ground.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 12:49:06 30-03-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 12:47:19 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, but I don't mean the looks, but how it "feels". It feels real. It makes you wince. It hurts. :) It's the difference between a racing game with proper crash physics and the "badumm" in Gran Turismo. It makes horses stumble realistically when you shoot them. (I am beginning to sound like an animal sadist), etc.

I'll accept that it's not a major immersion factor for everyone, but like I said, I think 60fps will help. And I would agree that it just wouldn't work for every game. Arthur sure wouldn't stand a chance in Nioh! :)

Edited by UncleLou at 12:49:59 30-03-2021
  • RyanDS 30 Mar 2021 14:11:57 13,939 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know how Arthur is at all realistic. A 7 metre turning circle for a man walking is not realistic, it is masochistic and ridiculous.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Mar 2021 14:22:50 16,858 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought we established earlier that Arthur had shit his pants?

Did RS included toilet breaks? If not then they just realistically animated a man who was unable to properly use the lavatory.
  • wuntyate 30 Mar 2021 14:48:49 16,820 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS To be fair I've met a couple of people that need a 7m turning circle.

Edited by wuntyate at 15:03:27 30-03-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Mar 2021 15:01:42 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I don't know how Arthur is at all realistic. A 7 metre turning circle for a man walking is not realistic, it is masochistic and ridiculous.
    Well it's more "realistic" than turning on a dime in a split-second, gliding over steps and polygon clipping your flailing arms into the next wall.
  • docrob 30 Mar 2021 17:57:57 1,763 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just out of curiosity, was anyone who hated the controls in RDR2 playing on PC? I played through the whole game using mouse and keyboard. I normally play GTA games using M&K when my character is on foot (because mouse aiming >>>>>> pad aiming) and a pad when driving, but horse transport is different (slower, and you donít have the same acceleration and deceleration) so I didnít feel the need. And I didnít have any major control issues at all.
  • DangerousDave_87 30 Mar 2021 21:08:57 6,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was on console. Xbox One X to be exact. I think if they patched in a carrot that dangled down in front of Arthur's face and aged him by 50 years, that would at least help me accept the sluggishness of the controls and the general movement.
  • Zippity-zap 30 Mar 2021 21:25:07 625 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played on PS4, and rinsed it. Afterwards I put a hell of a lot of hours into online, baiting and griefing the griefers, mostly. Ran with a small anti-griefer posse.

The controls never felt good to play, nor well-designed, and I regret most of the time I spent with the game. Iíd definitely go back to the online component if it felt more gratifying to control and play.
  • Anthony_UK 30 Mar 2021 22:26:28 3,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Like others I bounced off RDR2 on the first try for all the same reasons, but mainly the controls..

But... I enjoy any game that's fun to play, but my favourite gaming experience is when I'm genuinely blown away by a world, when it stops becoming a series of mechanics and you're entirely sold by the illusion and drawn into the world.

For me personally the early Asassins Creed games were my fix for this, but on the current/previous generation I can't think of anything that comes close to RDR2, it's mind blowing what they achieved. It does control like a dog, the combat for me and aiming is hateful. Even some game mechanics like the wanted system airdropped in from GTA doesn't fit in such a realistic world.... but I'd argue its all almost forgivable for everything else they achieved.

As someone else said, only negative is it makes other open world games like Assassins Creed look so dated, it almost makes them redundant.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 22:27:01 30-03-2021
  • dfunked09 30 Mar 2021 22:31:39 1,901 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Summary of the last few pages;

RDR2 - it plays like shit and is slow and boring, but you're totally wrong if you think that makes it bad.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Mar 2021 22:57:52 25,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, you didn't read the last few pages. Cool!
  • dfunked09 30 Mar 2021 23:13:46 1,901 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Just saying that there seem to be two distinct camps here that are never going to agree on anything.

Plus it's a bit shit...

Edited by dfunked09 at 23:14:46 30-03-2021
  • wuntyate 30 Mar 2021 23:32:17 16,820 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:

RDR2 - it plays like shit and is slow and boring, but you're totally wrong if you think that makes it bad.
    That's an odd summary. Little bit of bias going on there.
  • wuntyate 30 Mar 2021 23:36:26 16,820 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing about RDR2 is you've really got to be invested in the world, characters and story. It's a slow burner and very much a game that you put on when you're in the mood to just sit and go with it. Lots of other open world games are more immediate. It's really not a game for everyone. Not liking it doesn't make it a bad game, but it does make it a game that's not for you. And that's fine. There are lots of other games.

The people that don't like it will never be dissuaded by the people that like it though, and vice versa.

Edited by wuntyate at 23:36:56 30-03-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Mar 2021 23:36:52 17,132 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:

Sounds about right to me
  • wuntyate 30 Mar 2021 23:50:02 16,820 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Take God of War. I'm playing it now. It's amazing. Very good indeed. But it has a gameyness that's, to me, at odds with its narrative. And it's starting to annoy me. I'll finish it, but I don't love it, and I would have preferred it embraced it's gameyness like the previous games, or was a different thing entirely and played like it was written - slower, less of the, well, god of war tropes. They worked when kratos was a shouty man who ate adrenaline for breakfast but imo it doesn't work here.

I liked Death Stranding for the same reasons I liked RDR2. It took its time as the story - if you were on board - took its time.

Obviously there's a certain type of game I prefer over others. I suppose that's my point. Slow, sometimes unwieldy, less immediate games with a compelling story that allow me to lose myself in them.

Not everyone likes that type of game. So not everyone will like what Rockstar did with RDR2. But in my mind, they nailed it. They gave me once upon a time in the west in video game form.

I'm not even sure what I'm saying now. Ramble.
  • b-rk 31 Mar 2021 00:01:09 1,684 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't played RDR2 but RDR was absolutely the most boring game I ever played that literally sent me to sleep more than once. It did look stunning at the time, though. RDR2 seems much the same from the gameplay I have seen. Stunning world, boring gameplay.

It has provided some laugh out loud moments, however...

• Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2021 00:04:13 25,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Just saying that there seem to be two distinct camps here that are never going to agree on anything.

Plus it's a bit shit...
    Ok, so if you didn't want to be dismissive, I think the better phrasing might have been

"RDR2 - some people think it's slow and boring and plays like shit, but others think it plays just fine and actually like the slow pace"

A bit less smart-aleck-ey than what you said, but there you go.
  • Tomo 31 Mar 2021 00:27:37 19,180 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What about me - I think it plays like shit, but actually enjoyed the slow pace.
  • Pierre2k 31 Mar 2021 00:40:52 1,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not visited this thread for a bit and just dropped into the RDR2 barrage.

Went for this game as a full price game on release for the Xbox One X and bounced off it hard. Absolutely stunning to look at, especially on the X, at the time, and I could see how the world might draw you in. However, the snails pace to get going, and the horrendous controls just shot it dead for me. I generally put the effort in, especially if I've just sunk £50 into a new game, but didn't gel with this one.

I really should give it another go, but my gaming time is too short these days to waste it on something that just feels a chore to play. So much potential though, and can see how it could get its hooks into if you had the time and inclination to invest in it.
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2021 07:20:41 18,386 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Death Stranding is an interesting comparison actually - there's another slow-paced game with character movement that is heavy and deliberate. Critically though Sam still feels good to control, responsive, unlike Arthur. So I don't buy the argument that RDR2's controls are bad (or different) because they're realistic - they're just bad because they're bad.
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2021 07:22:21 18,386 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also I don't know how heavy you guys are but when I turn to walk in a different direction, it's closer to an Assassin's Creed character than to Arthur. I'm even able to pivot on the spot!
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2021 07:30:19 25,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey everyone look at monkman with his big, manly turning action
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.