Recently-abandoned games Page 321

Next Last
  • Trent_Steel 31 Mar 2021 19:28:55 166 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have been playing through RDR 2 and Twilight Princess. About halfway through both and am feeling the sunk cost fallacy seeping in.

RDR has great moments but Iíve no interest in the story and it feels like Iíve seen it all already. Rockstarís games really arenít my thing it seems, never finished a GTA either.

Twilight Princess became a chore at the 3rd temple.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Mar 2021 19:30:45 23,585 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Of all Doom games, 3 has aged the worst. I mean, Doom 1 is a treat even today, gameplay-wise and audiovisually, 3 not so much
    I agree with all of this. It's just so...boring.
  • Kay 31 Mar 2021 19:32:53 21,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Trent_Steel wrote:
    Lakebed? Stick with it, the best bits (and dungeons) come after.
  • Trent_Steel 31 Mar 2021 20:39:12 166 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Trent_Steel wrote:
    Lakebed? Stick with it, the best bits (and dungeons) come after.
    Thatís the one. It was in general quite boring and confusing but the boss was worst of all.

Iíll keep at it then! Once itís done Iíll do Wind Waker then can finally retire the Wii U.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Apr 2021 00:44:56 17,132 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Since Iíve just realised its been two weeks since I last played Divinity Original Sin 2 and its behind at least three other games on my priority list I guess its probably abandoned for now.

I did put about 40 hours into it wringing the game dry as I went but for all I was constantly doing stuff and beating baddies and exploring and levelling up there was a weird feeling of a lack of progress being made.

The game gives you a lot of freedom to go and do things in whatever order you like and lets you discover stuff naturally as it arises in your exploration which was a huge plus to begin with. But the lack of clear objectives in your journal means that you can also be left wandering aimlessly and just bumping into important characters without realising or skipping quest required items by accident.

Its an excellent game in all other respects but I have a feeling that for all the time Iíd put into it Iíd barely made any progress on the main quest-line or if I have its extremely light-touch and I havenít noticed.
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 09:08:33 11,357 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Falconeer (XBSX - Game Pass): I wanted to like this. I tried to like it. I'm a sucker for Crimson Skies/Ace Combat arcade flight games and was very much up for one with a fantasy setting. Unfortunately, flaky production values and a few baffling design decisions mean that the Falconeer just isn't a very good game.

The big gameplay issues for me were the lack of mid-mission checkpoints, the erratic fast-travel and the poor damage-feedback. These three issues mesh together to make the game incredibly frustrating. Most missions start with a reasonably lengthy journey to your objective. Sometimes, you'll get the option to fast travel, which is fine. But in most missions, the option just isn't there. So you might need to just fly through empty skies for 3-4 minutes before anything happens.

Once you do reach the action, some of the combat isn't too bad. Unfortunately, the poor damage feedback can make it really hard to spot when you're taking damage. If you take too much and die... right back to the start of the mission, repeating that lengthy, boring flight all over again.

Production values aren't great, either. The visuals go for a low-poly style which actually kinda works. Unfortunately, the voice acting is among the worst I've ever heard in the game and the dialogue it's matched to is pretty toe-curling. Imagine the cast of Mrs. Brown's Boys reading out Warhammer Fantasy fanfiction and you're in the right ballpark.

It was a Game Pass title, so not much lost, but it's so frustrating that a few small changes to gameplay design could have made it so much better. Ultimately, repeating those long, empty flights over again pushed me to drop the game rather than finishing it.
  • jonathanlealand 7 Apr 2021 20:45:12 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Trent_Steel

TP feels really dated at this point doesnít it? Its world so empty.

Edited by jonathanlealand at 05:51:48 09-04-2021
  • jonathanlealand 7 Apr 2021 20:45:18 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2021 21:49:30 25,619 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thread fix?
  • Rum_Monkey 11 Apr 2021 10:09:27 2,512 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Pathless

Once I realised how empty the world is and its just cut and paste with a different shape boss at the end of each area, I couldn't be arsed any more.

Really poor game.
  • Malek86 11 Apr 2021 19:02:06 11,915 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Homefront: The Revolution (Series S)

God, it's bad. I went as far as I needed (the Timesplitters 2 cabinet) and never looked back.

On the surface, it's a Far Cry 3 clone in an urban guerrilla setting. Too bad its single elements are mostly terrible: the gunplay is heavy and unsatisfying, the movement induces motion sickness, the missions are just about shooting enemies with bad AI. And the story is so cringeworthy it makes even the original Homefront look inspired in comparison, and that's saying something.

Anyway, from what I understand, the full TS2 port is prone to crashing in certain levels, and won't save your progress if you quit the game. Maybe that's why they kept it mostly hidden behind a code. Annoying, but I'm really only here for some old-school console shooting, so whatever. I only paid 2 euro for this anyway. Being forced to play through this campaign first was a much bigger asking price.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:03:11 11-04-2021
  • Rodney 11 Apr 2021 22:57:03 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think Homefront got pretty much slated by everyone, but I liked it.

I might just have shit taste, but I liked the guerilla warfare, and setting up ambushes, and fending off waves of enemies storming a building.

The storyline as shit but no worse than a typical CoD or Far Cry
  • Hicksy 12 Apr 2021 07:48:05 2,671 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PS5)

Half way through and just could not generate enough enthusiasm to keep going once backtracking without reason through fair chunks of existing levels became necessary.

Theming is great and they do get the Star Wars feel right but the floaty mechanics, the poor AI, the static place settings of enemies, the stop start nature of the core story... itís a 5/10 game in a 8/10ís games clothing, And in an age when my weekly gaming time is less than 6hrs a week sorry but thatís not good enough for me so itís on the ďto sellĒ pile now!
  • docrob 12 Apr 2021 14:21:49 1,763 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Since Iíve just realised its been two weeks since I last played Divinity Original Sin 2 and its behind at least three other games on my priority list I guess its probably abandoned for now.

I did put about 40 hours into it wringing the game dry as I went but for all I was constantly doing stuff and beating baddies and exploring and levelling up there was a weird feeling of a lack of progress being made.

The game gives you a lot of freedom to go and do things in whatever order you like and lets you discover stuff naturally as it arises in your exploration which was a huge plus to begin with. But the lack of clear objectives in your journal means that you can also be left wandering aimlessly and just bumping into important characters without realising or skipping quest required items by accident.

Its an excellent game in all other respects but I have a feeling that for all the time Iíd put into it Iíd barely made any progress on the main quest-line or if I have its extremely light-touch and I havenít noticed.
    Having finished this last year (putting some ludicrous number of hours into it), one of the main problems for me was that it *doesnít* give you freedom to do things in the order you like. You can try, but if you take on enemies even 1 level above you, they will marmalize you. Youíre pretty much obliged to take on areas in a very specific order, and if you skip any then you wonít get enough XP and youíll be under-levelled later on.

The game gives you almost no indication where you should go next for any given level, so you either have to do a lot of wandering about or find a level map online.

Donít get me wrong, the game is great in so many ways, but itís a strictly linear experience dressed up as an open world game. In DOS1, there were a couple of low level areas I ended up going to late on in the game. No chance of that with DOS2 - I needed all the xp I could get!
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Apr 2021 14:54:18 40,448 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My problem with DOS2 was that every act bascially felt like the start of a new game, somehow. It felt like a modular game, rather than a continous campagn, if that makes sense - the pacing and flow just never felt quite right.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Apr 2021 15:16:38 10,934 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Having finished this last year (putting some ludicrous number of hours into it), one of the main problems for me was that it *doesnít* give you freedom to do things in the order you like. You can try, but if you take on enemies even 1 level above you, they will marmalize you. Youíre pretty much obliged to take on areas in a very specific order, and if you skip any then you wonít get enough XP and youíll be under-levelled later on.

The game gives you almost no indication where you should go next for any given level, so you either have to do a lot of wandering about or find a level map online.

Donít get me wrong, the game is great in so many ways, but itís a strictly linear experience dressed up as an open world game. In DOS1, there were a couple of low level areas I ended up going to late on in the game. No chance of that with DOS2 - I needed all the xp I could get!
    This is why i eventually fell off of it.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Apr 2021 15:41:07 16,858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    My problem with DOS2 was that every act bascially felt like the start of a new game, somehow. It felt like a modular game, rather than a continous campagn, if that makes sense - the pacing and flow just never felt quite right.
    Yeah I agree that every area felt like a new game and that made the pacing odd.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.