Cool stuff to do in London Page 2

• RyanDS 7 Sep 2014 20:48:39 12,838 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Definintely do the Globe theatre.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2014 21:05:48
    Please go to the Phoenix Cinema in East Finchley High Road. There are loads of cheap takeaways nearby but that's the best cinema in all of London
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2014 22:04:38 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are you my mystery man; back row, seat G with the squeaky back rest, flasher mac and a vivid imagination?
  • Deleted user 7 September 2014 22:06:15
    My popcorn is always very salty
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2014 22:08:38 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Must be someone else then.
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Sep 2014 22:23:49 680 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck off tourist
  • DanDanDanDan 7 Sep 2014 22:36:54 72 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phoenix is a good recommendation for a film.
    Bald Faced Stag is a nice pub just up the road from there. And Majjos is a cracking takeaway that now has a restaurant. Family owned and made fresh with whatever they could get that day.
    Campbell and Syme is some of the best coffee in London, roasted on the premises.

They're all within 2 minutes of the training place (which is right by the tube).
  • Deleted user 7 September 2014 22:43:40
    bbvDJC wrote:
    This thread will do!

I'm attending a three day course in London this week, staying in Euston and the course is in East Finchley
    McDonalds Uni?
  • Deleted user 7 September 2014 22:57:21
    What's so great about London? There's a great restaurant in Hong Kong, where you can eat rice, sit on a chair and drink coca-cola.
  • bbvDJC 7 Sep 2014 23:08:28 2,011 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    bbvDJC wrote:
    This thread will do!

I'm attending a three day course in London this week, staying in Euston and the course is in East Finchley
    McDonalds Uni?
    Yeah. I'm attending my Basic Shift Management course there this week.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
  • Dirtbox 8 Sep 2014 07:59:16 91,187 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 08:04:41
    robo-Nabster wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Please go to the Phoenix Cinema in East Finchley High Road. There are loads of cheap takeaways nearby but that's the best cinema in all of London
    What is so good about Phoenix Cinema?

One of the great things about London is, it has one of the best cinema scenes on the planet.

Only LA and NYC match it. You can watch tons of great moves on actual film. The Prince Charles Theater in Leicester Square is a favorite. I just watched A Fistful of Dollar in 35mm there. And remember watching these classics on film can only be done in a handful of cities in the world now.

Camden lock has a night market going on, where they open air movies you can watch in lounge chairs and beanie bags, and you can get brew dog beer and honest burgers at the movie venue. I think it's ending very soon, but camden is always a fantastic place to hangout in london.
    The Phoenix is great because it's an indie, it shows films that other cinemas don't show, and it's got decades upon decades of history.

Camden stinks of piss and hipsters. And pissy hipsters.
  • elstoof 8 Sep 2014 08:25:30 23,911 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Which stall do you work on jablonski? The one selling film posters?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 08:29:42
    The ironically photoshopped film poster stall
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 09:13:35
    One of the best things about The Phoenix is that it's incredibly un-hipster. It's mostly empty, but attendees tend to be 40+ and decidedly uncool. Just into film.

But don't go there. You won't like it. It's mine.
  • Mageme 23 Sep 2014 00:20:43 2,247 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Could anyone recommend any decent clubs or bars for Halloween? My mates from abroad are coming end of October and want to soak in the London atmosphere (as well as perv at ladies in Halloween costumes). Cheers!
  • danathjo 8 Dec 2014 22:45:07 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Soooo, meeting my cousin and his girlfriend at London City Airport Wednesday morning and then proceeding to (try to) show them a good day out before heading home and seeing them off to Liverpool the next day.

They're early twenties and I think first time outside Australia, any tips for fun things to do?

My plan was to get on the Jubilee all the way to Westminister and do the whole southbank ie: big ben, eye, st pauls, bridge etc etc, then perhaps a curry at Brick lane, a few drinks in a cool hipster east london bar. Heard good things about 'major of scaredy cat town'.

Would of loved to take them to the Chelsea game (only London match I could see that was on Wednesday) but perhaps a little over my budget!

Any other cool places or tips that you beautiful people may know?
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Dec 2014 22:53:02 22,771 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tate Modern is worth a trip, the bar there has an excellent view. Walking there from St Paul's is pretty natural. The bridge and the building are ace and there is generally some good stuff exhibited.

Fulham or AFC Wimbledon might have a match on.
  • FWB 8 Dec 2014 22:58:02 56,178 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In one day that's going to be plenty.

Small tip, when you get to St Pauls, head to One New Exchange shopping centre. Take the lift in the centre of it to the top floor. Get out, turn left and left again. That is all. 15min of your time, but worth it.

Edited by FWB at 23:02:42 08-12-2014
  • danathjo 8 Dec 2014 22:58:11 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah was thinking TM too, will wait and see if they're art lovers or not first :) a look in the entrance is always pretty cool either way though I suppose.

Fulham is a good shout so will check now, been to AFC myself before...couldn't do it again! lol

Now let's just hope for good weather!
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Dec 2014 23:00:39 22,771 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That's the thing, the Tate Modern is fantastic and you don't have to care about art, the turbine hall is ace. As I say though, worth a beverage there as the view from the bar is good.
  • FWB 8 Dec 2014 23:02:11 56,178 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ohh and museum wise, the Museum of London is near St Paul's, but that'll eat up quite a bit of time. Could walk through to Liverpool St and then Brick Lane from there, but you'd miss Tower Bridge.

The South Bank has its Xmas Market stalls up now - and lights. Winter Wonderland is in Hyde Park. But I guess that's not particularly Londony.
  • danathjo 8 Dec 2014 23:02:35 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FWB Did come across this pic during my research, a rooftop version sound good!

And yes, don't want to cram too much in but it's good to have a few back ups prepared :)

Edited by danathjo at 23:02:51 08-12-2014
  • danathjo 8 Dec 2014 23:04:19 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know what, been to the Tate Modern many times but never had a drink at the bar, timing wise it would probably be a good time to stop anyway, good shout!
  • FWB 8 Dec 2014 23:07:58 56,178 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It'a a great view. Free and usually deserted.

If you do go up to the Museum of London, or past it, you've got Postman's Park (memorials to everyday heroes) and the Barbican (kind of) on the way to Liverpool Street. Alternatively, from St Pauls head towards Bank (Bank of England) and then onto the Tower and Tower Bridge, passing the Lloyds building and Leadenhall Market. Stop in the Crosse Keys Pub for some interesting architecture - former bank.

Edited by FWB at 23:10:02 08-12-2014
  • danathjo 8 Dec 2014 23:15:30 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think that's definitely on the cards now, also correct me if i'm wrong but brick lane isn't too much of a backtrack walk from london bridge is it?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.