Following At what point are you an alcoholic? Page 49

• Psiloc 1 Apr 2021 11:23:45 6,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I'm sorry that I sparked this discussion and that you care about me. Please don't worry about me. Seeking help is my business, not yours. Please don't respond.
    ...go and see a GP.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 11:29:07 30,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope he does get help, alcohol can be so lovely and so fucking evil.
  • elstoof 1 Apr 2021 12:20:23 27,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My dad used to be able to cane a bottle of vodka a day. Heís in a wheelchair now, he canít control his arms and legs properly due to the ataxia. I donít think he expected to live to the age he is now, heís only 63. Thereís more pleasant ways to go early, rather than shrivel into a shell of a human and count down your days watching U.K. Gold
  • JYM60 1 Apr 2021 12:34:06 18,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Me and the Mrs would finish a bottle of Gin between us in one night no problem. Maybe once every two weeks. The other week in between is usually 2-3 bottles of wine.

I'd have never entertained the thought of drinking G&Ts or wine in my lager guzzling and Vodka vomitting youth, but they're both delicious to me now!

Edited by JYM60 at 12:34:49 01-04-2021
  • KD 1 Apr 2021 12:44:53 3,325 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As a teen I had to go to my uncles funeral who was the strongest person I ever knew, bouncer/steel worker who died before his 50th Birthday due to long term alcohol abuse.

I never really started drinking often after that, one weekend every few months and even went 10 years practically sober in my 20's only having a single can some nights just to shut up arseholes who find my non drinking a problem. Not drunk proper since I last went out Sept 2019, since then I have had a can over a girls house and a small bit of whiskey when another visitied over this last year.

I should add I do smoke way to much so thats my vice.

Edited by KD at 12:45:26 01-04-2021
  • TheSaint 1 Apr 2021 12:54:03 20,544 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JYM60

Same here. All about the spirits now and if I do happen to have beer itís usually the alcohol free stuff.
  • Dougs 1 Apr 2021 12:56:18 98,694 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @elstoof sorry to hear that Els. We've had this discussion before. I'm amazed my old dear didn't end up the same, but her vice was weak German wine with lemonade top. 2 bottles wasn't unusual and in her 50s would do a bottle of Bacardi no worries. I am much more moderate but do mix quite a bit, which tends to lead to bad hangovers.
  • Trafford 1 Apr 2021 13:04:53 9,167 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah shit, DrStrangelove has emo quit. 😕

On a side note, RIP to this bloke.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/man-in-his-40s-dies-suddenly-on-lancaster-canal-towpath-3178615

I knew him, strapping self employed gardener, met him at meetings. Sadly never really got involved.
    One of those death by misadventure things.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Apr 2021 13:12:24 14,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DrStrangelove come back you daft fanny.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 13:14:25 30,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Ah shit, DrStrangelove has emo quit. 😕

On a side note, RIP to this bloke.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/man-in-his-40s-dies-suddenly-on-lancaster-canal-towpath-3178615

I knew him, strapping self employed gardener, met him at meetings. Sadly never really got involved.
    One of those death by misadventure things.
    Does that usually mean "was pissed and fell"?
  • Trafford 1 Apr 2021 13:15:44 9,167 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it covers a multitude of endings.
  • JYM60 1 Apr 2021 13:36:39 18,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    @JYM60

Same here. All about the spirits now and if I do happen to have beer itís usually the alcohol free stuff.
    TBH if I went out to the bar to watch the football I would probably still have a pint. But I can't even remember that far back!
  • quadfather 1 Apr 2021 13:43:04 38,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After a year of generally being alone, I'm finding the idea of going to a pub a bit weird now I've got used to solitude!
  • Dirt3 1 Apr 2021 14:01:14 1,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    My dad used to be able to cane a bottle of vodka a day. Heís in a wheelchair now, he canít control his arms and legs properly due to the ataxia. I donít think he expected to live to the age he is now, heís only 63. Thereís more pleasant ways to go early, rather than shrivel into a shell of a human and count down your days watching U.K. Gold
    I used to know a guy who was a landlord. AFAICT a lot of the cash was sunk into booze and smokes. He was a nice bloke and I got on OK with him.

Last time I saw him (don't know his age but suspect mid 50s) he had given up the booze and was shaking so badly that he couldn't really hold anything in his hands and do any work.

Alcohol can do more than just screw your liver up.
  • Dougs 1 Apr 2021 14:05:43 98,694 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sounds a bit like my brother tbh. Ex-landlord, chef, who drinks approx 8-10 pints or cans a night. Last time I saw him he had a bit of the shakes. Not massively noticeable but enough....
  • quadfather 1 Apr 2021 15:04:40 38,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I was caning beer during a particular shitty time, I got to the stage where, after work, I'd go to the train station to wait for my train home, and I'd always have a couple of beers in the station while I waited. This was on top of an always heavy night before.

I've never had DT's before, but what started happening is that I'd be at the bar, ordering a pint, waiting, paying for it, and then as my hand reached towards the glass to pick it up, it started to shake ever so slightly. If it was a non-alcoholic drink, it wouldn't shake. I thought that was a bit weird, but went over to my table and put the drink down.

The problem started when I attempted to lift the glass to take a drink. My hand would start shaking enough to make me spill some on the table. Then the second attempt would be slightly easier, and then after the 3rd glug, I'd be ok again.

But that freaked me out enough to take a step back and calm it the fuck down.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Apr 2021 11:20:08 14,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just heard the woman next door shout at the guy for pissing and shitting on some laundry when he was drunk last night.

I've been a pisshead pretty much all of adult life, but not once have I soiled myself or ever pissed/shat in random places in the house. I've pissed in doorways and what have you but never wet the bed at home or anything.

How common is this sort of thing? Are any of you (not including Mowgli) drunken shitters?
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Apr 2021 11:24:52 2,512 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've walked outside when over at someone else's and pissed in their garden. I was in a ground floor flat at the time and the steps I took to the garden were like the layout to get to the toilet in the flat. I've also pissed in a bidet thinking it was a toilet.

I've been in some drunken states before but never to the point of shitting myself or in a weird place.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Apr 2021 11:27:50 14,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think I pissed in a bidet on holiday, but I didn't follow it up by taking a dump on a windowsill or anything.
  • quadfather 7 Apr 2021 11:30:07 38,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah

The closest I've got to that is staying at a mates and waking up in the middle of the night dying for a piss and being completely disorientated in the house, often simply walking into walls until I can find the sodding light switch. I can proudly say I've never pissed myself before getting to the toilet, hurrah!
  • RawShark 7 Apr 2021 11:33:21 1,686 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I've just heard the woman next door shout at the guy for pissing and shitting on some laundry when he was drunk last night.

I've been a pisshead pretty much all of adult life, but not once have I soiled myself or ever pissed/shat in random places in the house. I've pissed in doorways and what have you but never wet the bed at home or anything.

How common is this sort of thing? Are any of you (not including Mowgli) drunken shitters?
    In my early twenties a mate got me so pissed I got up after crashing on his sofa and took a leak behind his TV. Was not conscious of it at all - it was basically sleep pissing. He was not best pleased.

Other than that one incident, no. I did have a girlfriend who pissed the bed after a boozy night though. To make matters worse we were staying in the spare room at a friend of hers and she had to quietly confess to it the next morning. She quit drinking fairly soon after, and it was for the best. Terrible drunk.

Never known anyone whoís shat the bed. Friend of mine had a stomach bug in India and managed to shit all over the floor when the bomb bay doors opened seconds too early as he ran to the bathroom... Thatís what you get for asking for ice in your drinks.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Apr 2021 11:34:42 14,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So far this is pretty encouraging.

I was worried I wasn't normal by generally making it to the bog under the influence.
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Apr 2021 11:35:16 2,554 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've embarrassed my self plenty of times, mainly in my twenty's, fallen over, passed out at weddings, work-do's, woken up in doorways sometimes 40 odd miles away in some odd location having fallen asleep on trains a few times (had to start standing up on the train journey home to prevent that happening), did throw up quite badly in West Croydon Bus Station but I was only 16 at the time and it was my first ever Christmas do but not had a poo/wee related incident yet!
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 11:36:19 6,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been morbidly curious about this phenomenon too. Is it like a form of drunken sleep walking?

EDIT: How long was I writing this

Edited by Psiloc at 11:36:50 07-04-2021
  • RawShark 7 Apr 2021 11:36:22 1,686 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If youíre going spew, West Croydon is the place to do it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Apr 2021 11:37:12 14,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have puked down the side of the bed, got up and not realised I'd done it til going back to bed the next night.

That was fucking grim.
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Apr 2021 11:39:31 2,512 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've never puked from drinking before, I think it's why my hangovers would kill a lesser man. All that alcohol and regret stays in my system for days.
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 11:39:33 6,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have puked down the side of the bed, got up and not realised I'd done it til going back to bed the next night.

That was fucking grim.
    Done that one
  • Jono62 7 Apr 2021 11:41:25 26,760 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

That was fucking grim.
    Done that one
    Aye, its horrid especially the smell.

I've almost missed the toilet when I had a stomach bug and had to rush to the bathroom as I misjudged how quickly it was coming.
  • cov 7 Apr 2021 11:46:45 2,494 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Used to work the pubs in edinburgh amd woild regularly find underpants stuffed behind the toilets after one of the regulars had an accident. Serious all day boozers many if who had the proper shakes before the first of the day (9am opening). Some of them made themselves ill as they were on anti drinking meds but carried on anyway. Pub used to sell cans of calsberg special brew to the down and outs from the nearby park every morning too. Classy place.

Suffice to say the whole experience changed my own drinking habits eventually.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.