Following At what point are you an alcoholic? Page 3

  • pistol 14 Apr 2008 13:13:43 13,018 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I must admit I'm a classic binge drinker, in the sense I'll go weeks without anything and then on a single night out I'll drink a whole week of unit's worth. Depends who I'm with tbh. But if I don't drink it doesn't bother me.
  • MrWorf 14 Apr 2008 13:13:44 64,107 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I dip in out of alcoholism. I go through 2 week binges of 4-6 pints a night then go back to my normal glass of something every now and then. The binges happen about every 4-5 months. So not so bad, but I'm going through one at the moment so it seems worse to me. Probably cause I started smoking cannibis again. :/
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2008 13:15:23 6,125 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    I drink JD, or Bells if they're sold out. I haven't actually thought about the cost that much, may be a bit frightened to face how much I spend.

    I spend £6500 a year on booze. I waste the rest of my wages.

    See your problem is that you’re so fucking in love with the romantic notion of being an alcoholic. That you are some lone wolf McQuade, Tragic poet, Wideboy drinker.

    Then you post about it on a fucking gaming Internet site?

    Your other threads are occasionally quite clever but the drinking ones make you sound about 12.

    It is BORING, no one comes on here and talks about how many carrots they can or do eat.

    I got tired of hearing about how much people can and do drink when I turned 15.

    Try Samaritans if you want to do a cry for help.


    I actually didn't mention any amounts at first for this reason. At this point I'm just trying to establish whether I have a problem or not before I take it up with a GP or anything. Certainly not crying out to EG for help.

    I'd retaliate a bit more but your half a shandy jibe was golden.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Apr 2008 13:16:16 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:

    I spend £6500 a year on booze. I waste the rest of my wages.

    PhoenixFlames wrote:

    I only answered the OP. Have a go at him if you must.

    No, you paraphrased Oscar Wilde or similar in an effort to sound louche and decadent.

    It might have been George Best I think, just said it cause it's kinda funny. Also I knew it had a good chance of annoying you and making you post a pompous reply.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 14 Apr 2008 13:16:28 14,557 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm a student so I can do what I like and get away with it...

    /ow, my liver

    Naw, I haven't drunk seriously since first year where, thanks to our student run hall bar I'd tend to have 2 or 3 cans a night minimum.

    God, fantastic days, then I'd go out and get properly wasted every other night too :p

    Now I only drink a few times a week, only go out once or twice a week. Occasionally I'll have a few cans at home watching the footy, playing prov or something.
  • Load_2.0 14 Apr 2008 13:17:41 32,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's turning into a bit of a judgemental thread, this.

    If PhoenixFlames likes to drink and it's not fucking his life up then that's fine for him. It does tang a little of denial that there could be a problem, but that's his deal, he's not the one asking for help.

    Fair enough, it is more my frustration at the recent spate of big drinking threads. If you have seen anyone descend in to alcoholism it is fairly pathetic. Hardly anything to go on about. Seeing as other contributions from these posters are usually ok.

    /Hypocrite alert!

    :)
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Apr 2008 13:18:19 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I dip in out of alcoholism. I go through 2 week binges of 4-6 pints a night.

    Sorry Razz, but lol. :)

    On a more sensible point - good luck to the OP, if you think you have a genuine problem that is affecting your life then get help.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2008 13:19:07 92,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Apr 2008 13:19:12 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

    At this point I'm just trying to establish whether I have a problem or not before I take it up with a GP or anything. Certainly not crying out to EG for help.

    .

    You already said you drink a bottle of whiskey or the equivalent each day.

    While it's true that there is no determined amount that makes you an alocholic, with that much, you're far beyond any doubt.

    You have a serious drinking problem, mate.
  • Load_2.0 14 Apr 2008 13:20:44 32,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Load "$" wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    I drink JD, or Bells if they're sold out. I haven't actually thought about the cost that much, may be a bit frightened to face how much I spend.

    I spend £6500 a year on booze. I waste the rest of my wages.

    See your problem is that you’re so fucking in love with the romantic notion of being an alcoholic. That you are some lone wolf McQuade, Tragic poet, Wideboy drinker.

    Then you post about it on a fucking gaming Internet site?

    Your other threads are occasionally quite clever but the drinking ones make you sound about 12.

    It is BORING, no one comes on here and talks about how many carrots they can or do eat.

    I got tired of hearing about how much people can and do drink when I turned 15.

    Try Samaritans if you want to do a cry for help.


    I actually didn't mention any amounts at first for this reason. At this point I'm just trying to establish whether I have a problem or not before I take it up with a GP or anything. Certainly not crying out to EG for help.

    I'd retaliate a bit more but your half a shandy jibe was golden.

    OK I would use your friends/family as a gauge then. What may seem like perfectly reasonable behaviour can seem quite different in other people's eyes.

    Video camera's and bank balances are great for highlighting this.
  • MrWonderstuff 14 Apr 2008 13:20:58 3,569 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "I dip in out of alcoholism. "

    You are either an alcohlic or not. There is no part-time about it (and if you are one you will always be one). I've got a couple of friends who are alcohlics and I'm telling you 4-6 pints a night on a binge session is nothing to what my unfortunate friends do.

    If on a regular basis, and I'm talking daily, you are constantly downing the booze without the will to stop (and wake up somewhere in the arse end of nowhere not knowing where the past two days went) then you have a problem.

    AA may help but its a hard slog, but it can help you come to terms with what you are going through and provide support.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Apr 2008 13:21:51 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    And I AM pompous, I'm a banker and it somes with the territory. I'm also overweight, have a bald spot, single for the last six months and currently suffering from a vicious cold at work.

    This explains it then :)

    George Best should have swapped to ale/beer/wine and left the spirits alone. That's just a school boy error.
  • MrWorf 14 Apr 2008 13:24:18 64,107 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I understand what you are saying but it really depends on your tolerance for the stuff. as I said I generally only have a glass of something every few days then I suddenly start drinking 4-6 pints a night, I'm drunk by the third pint. :/

    I'm not saying I'm an alcoholic though, not yet. I'll wait for this binge to end before I'll admit anything. :/
  • FooAtari 14 Apr 2008 13:27:10 3,955 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A bottle of whisky a day Psiloc? I'd say you might have a problem there, go speak to someone man.

    I've had a Liver Transplant, it's not a fun day out. Don't let it get to that point...
  • deem 14 Apr 2008 13:28:22 31,667 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The best description or example I've ever read, is 'when you drink when you don't want to'.

    That pretty much sums it up for me.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2008 13:30:27 92,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2008 13:30:48 6,125 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't always drink the equivalent to a bottle of whiskey over a day... that's if I go out which is about twice a week. When I'm at home I get through about half.

    But yeah just looking at the amounts looks bad, but besides a hangover in the morning I usually feel fine, plus I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this nonsense. Hence why I'm not sure if I fit the definition of an alcoholic, since most specialists say it depends on how it affects your life. It's also why I don't think I'm crying out for help here, just want to know if you think I fit the bill.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Apr 2008 13:30:50 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    deem wrote:
    'when you drink when you don't want to'.

    DOES NOT COMPUTE.

    I always want to, it's just work/money/illness that stops me.

    Now the lottery can solve two of those...
  • DaM 14 Apr 2008 13:39:24 17,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I don't always drink the equivalent to a bottle of whiskey over a day... that's if I go out which is about twice a week. When I'm at home I get through about half.

    But yeah just looking at the amounts looks bad, but besides a hangover in the morning I usually feel fine, plus I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this nonsense. Hence why I'm not sure if I fit the definition of an alcoholic, since most specialists say it depends on how it affects your life. It's also why I don't think I'm crying out for help here, just want to know if you think I fit the bill.

    Half a bottle of spirits a day is over a 100 units a week - recommended max intake is 28ish. Even if you quibble about recommended levels, that's a hell of a lot.

    Have you tried stopping for a fortnight? I used to do that occasionally in my batchelor days, just to make sure I could.
  • MrWorf 14 Apr 2008 13:41:12 64,107 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    deem wrote:
    'when you drink when you don't want to'.

    DOES NOT COMPUTE.

    I always want to, it's just work/money/illness that stops me.

    Now the lottery can solve two of those...
    I think it's a mixture of wanting to and not wanting to. For example part your brain is saying yes I love a nice cold glass of that stuff to escape from the eveningand and another part tellign you that you have a problemand should stop.
  • lucasmax 14 Apr 2008 13:41:18 363 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like a drink but hate being drunk.

    Being aggressive when someone mentions the amount you drink would be a good sign.

    edit: And lying to yourself about how much/how often you drink.
  • monkeypuzzle 14 Apr 2008 13:41:34 1,949 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    deem wrote:
    The best description or example I've ever read, is 'when you drink when you don't want to'.

    That pretty much sums it up for me.

    That does sound like a good description but as someone I know well was an alcoholic they didnt quite fit into that description. They did always want to drink and just didnt stop. It took a very long time for him to realise that he was an alcoholic. He just thought he was a heavy social drinker.
  • pistol 14 Apr 2008 13:45:35 13,018 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I don't always drink the equivalent to a bottle of whiskey over a day... that's if I go out which is about twice a week. When I'm at home I get through about half.

    But yeah just looking at the amounts looks bad, but besides a hangover in the morning I usually feel fine, plus I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this nonsense. Hence why I'm not sure if I fit the definition of an alcoholic, since most specialists say it depends on how it affects your life. It's also why I don't think I'm crying out for help here, just want to know if you think I fit the bill.

    So because you can afford it, that means it isn't a problem?
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2008 13:46:41 86,026 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you can drink the thick end of a bottle of whiskey and not feel pissed, thats probably not a good place to be in.

    I was sort of there with weed a while back. I could smoke the highest strength skunk and carry on like normal and people couldnt even tell I had been smoking. My wife said I was smoking too much and I said that its not a problem as it doesnt really effect me.

    She said thats exactly what she found worrying, which I agreed with, to be honest.
  • Psiloc 14 Apr 2008 13:49:10 6,125 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    I don't always drink the equivalent to a bottle of whiskey over a day... that's if I go out which is about twice a week. When I'm at home I get through about half.

    But yeah just looking at the amounts looks bad, but besides a hangover in the morning I usually feel fine, plus I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this nonsense. Hence why I'm not sure if I fit the definition of an alcoholic, since most specialists say it depends on how it affects your life. It's also why I don't think I'm crying out for help here, just want to know if you think I fit the bill.

    So because you can afford it, that means it isn't a problem?
    More it adds to the fact my life isn't effected to a great extent, which most GPs use as the measure of alcoholism.
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2008 13:51:31 86,026 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try and give up for a week and report back.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2008 13:52:50 92,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.