Rate the last gig you went to see out of 10! Page 31

  • smoothpete 3 May 2018 11:07:18 35,484 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gomez at the Bristol O2, Bring It On 20th Anniversary tour. 9/10, they were bloody great. I've been a fan for 20 years (fuck I'm old) so it was a privilege to finally see them live. The tickets were a christmas present from my family who paid tout prices, which was so sweet of them. Overall a cracking gig.
  • Vortex808 3 May 2018 11:46:37 13,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha, not heard them in years, I think I quite liked the first lp.

    Speaking of 20th anniversary tours, I recently saw Mercury Rev on an acoustic (mostly) run through Deserter's Songs.

    The gig was great. All the band were on fine form, with a few covers, some oldies and great versions of Holes (non-acoustic for plenty reverb/feedback) and Goddess on a Highway to cap it all off.

    Jonathon had some great banter between songs about the struggles after the previous album bombed and about the creative/recording process to make it as well.
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 May 2018 11:52:26 9,948 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Lace in a pub in Slough.

    4 gangbangs against the wall out of 5.
  • Rhaegyr 3 May 2018 12:00:20 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Vortex808

    How was Opus 40 live?
  • Rhaegyr 3 May 2018 12:00:21 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Vortex808

    How was Opus 40 live?
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2018 14:12:49 25,896 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Haha, not heard them in years, I think I quite liked the first lp.

    Speaking of 20th anniversary tours, I recently saw Mercury Rev on an acoustic (mostly) run through Deserter's Songs.

    The gig was great. All the band were on fine form, with a few covers, some oldies and great versions of Holes (non-acoustic for plenty reverb/feedback) and Goddess on a Highway to cap it all off.

    Jonathon had some great banter between songs about the struggles after the previous album bombed and about the creative/recording process to make it as well.
    Iím so jealous, what an amazing live band they are.
    Jonathon is probably the best front man Iíve ever seen (apart from Prince).

    I saw them DS but electric in Barcelona a few years ago and will never forget it.

    I was pretty disappointed in the last album, what did he say?
  • Vortex808 3 May 2018 14:34:50 13,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:


    I was pretty disappointed in the last album, what did he say?
    Sorry, I possibly didn't make that particularly clear, The chat was all about the DS era and he was talking about how 'See you on the other side', the album before deserter's song's, bombed. He blamed Britpop, killing their experimental vibe and given a lot of that was utterly formulaic shite, I won't hold it against him!

    They were really disappointed, since they thought see you on the other side would be their peak as a band, it bombed and the record label dumped them and their accountant said it was over. He said deserter's was written as what he described as 'the best cassette tape to pass on to friends', however, fate had other ideas.

    He talked very well, and really had excellent rapport with the crowd.

    The whole band were super-tight too. Great gig, if anyone gets to see the rest of the tour it's highly recommended. They were in a teeny venue of 2-300 too, so I was a really intimate gig.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2018 14:37:19 25,896 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:


    I was pretty disappointed in the last album, what did he say?
    Sorry, I possibly didn't make that particularly clear, The chat was all about the DS era and he was talking about how 'See you on the other side', the album before deserter's song's, bombed. He blamed Britpop, killing their experimental vibe and given a lot of that was utterly formulaic shite, I won't hold it against him!

    They were really disappointed, since they thought see you on the other side would be their peak as a band, it bombed and the record label dumped them and their accountant said it was over. He said deserter's was written as what he described as 'the best cassette tape to pass on to friends', however, fate had other ideas.

    He talked very well, and really had excellent rapport with the crowd.

    The whole band were super-tight too. Great gig, if anyone gets to see the rest of the tour it's highly recommended. They were in a teeny venue of 2-300 too, so I was a really intimate gig.
    So cool that their ďfuck it!, letís just make music for matesĒ with no expectations is their masterpiece.

    Fuck it, Iím putting it on now!
  • thelzdking 3 May 2018 14:48:18 9,043 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They were never as interesting after their first two albums IMO.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2018 15:04:12 25,896 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    They were never as interesting after their first two albums IMO.
    Iíd argue the opposite , they went from sounding like many other shoegazy bands to sounding like no one else.
  • thelzdking 3 May 2018 15:18:25 9,043 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see why people think that Mercury Rev Mk.II are better, and I like Deserters Songs a lot, but I have to respectfully disagree that those first two records sound like any other shoegaze bands. I can't think of a shoegaze band that sounds anything like Boces, it's a completely different artistic approach. I can't think of another band that sounds much like like early Mercury Rev for that matter.
  • RelaxedMikki 3 May 2018 15:33:37 2,990 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am sure this has probably been pointed out already somwhere in this thread, but I have just noticed that the title states we should be scoring gigs out of 10!

    10! is 3,628, 800. We should be scoring the gigs out of 3,628,800. So a score of 10/3.6 million would not actually be a particularly good gig.
  • neilka 3 May 2018 15:35:06 22,456 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.reddit.com/r/unexpectedfactorial/
  • TheSaint 3 May 2018 15:49:24 18,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Gomez at the Bristol O2, Bring It On 20th Anniversary tour. 9/10, they were bloody great. I've been a fan for 20 years (fuck I'm old) so it was a privilege to finally see them live. The tickets were a christmas present from my family who paid tout prices, which was so sweet of them. Overall a cracking gig.
    Good to hear. I'm seeing them at The Albert Hall this evening.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2018 16:23:09 25,896 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I can see why people think that Mercury Rev Mk.II are better, and I like Deserters Songs a lot, but I have to respectfully disagree that those first two records sound like any other shoegaze bands. I can't think of a shoegaze band that sounds anything like Boces, it's a completely different artistic approach. I can't think of another band that sounds much like like early Mercury Rev for that matter.
    I maybe was exaggerating a bit but I would argue that the current Mercury Rev sound even less like anyone else than the mk1 version.

    I should listen to Boces more, I've neglected it tbh.
  • Khanivor 3 May 2018 16:23:19 43,957 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Friend saw Mercury Rev and also said it was awesome. Welljel

    Not listened to Liquid Skin in a while. I adore that album. Saw them live at the time and they were amazing.
  • smoothpete 3 May 2018 18:03:05 35,484 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Gomez at the Bristol O2, Bring It On 20th Anniversary tour. 9/10, they were bloody great. I've been a fan for 20 years (fuck I'm old) so it was a privilege to finally see them live. The tickets were a christmas present from my family who paid tout prices, which was so sweet of them. Overall a cracking gig.
    Good to hear. I'm seeing them at The Albert Hall this evening.
    Sweet. I wanted Albert Hall tickets ideally but Bristol O2 was pretty cool. Plus they sell beer in 2 pint glasses.

    Edited by smoothpete at 18:03:56 03-05-2018
  • thelzdking 3 May 2018 18:43:28 9,043 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    I can see why people think that Mercury Rev Mk.II are better, and I like Deserters Songs a lot, but I have to respectfully disagree that those first two records sound like any other shoegaze bands. I can't think of a shoegaze band that sounds anything like Boces, it's a completely different artistic approach. I can't think of another band that sounds much like like early Mercury Rev for that matter.
    I maybe was exaggerating a bit but I would argue that the current Mercury Rev sound even less like anyone else than the mk1 version.

    I should listen to Boces more, I've neglected it tbh.
    I haven't really listened to them after All is Dream, I should make the effort to. And as much as I rate the first two records I must admit that they are tiring to listen to compared to the later stuff. They're strangely claustrophobic and clattering at points, whereas Deserters is lush and pretty.
  • Zomoniac 10 Jun 2018 11:07:49 9,938 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Taylor Swift (Etihad Stadium, Friday show)

    Incredible performance, amazing atmosphere and absurdly impressive set design.

    10
  • Bichii 23 Jun 2018 07:20:01 1,175 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zomoniac saw her at Wembley last night. Loved it! :).



    Fucking ticket sites though. It sold out in two minutes yet I'd say about 10% off seats empty.
  • Fourwisemen 23 Jun 2018 09:11:47 793 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phoenix at Manchester Academy a couple of months ago. 10

    It must be the 5th or 6th time Iíve seen them, either in Manchester, London or at festivals but they are never anything other than an absolute joy to watch. The Ally Pally show a few months ago was a venue too large for them, still great but a righter venue suits their music and personalities.

    Love that band and are very much enhanced by their live brilliance.

    Next week, Flight if the Conchords..

    Edited by Fourwisemen at 09:13:01 23-06-2018
  • figgis 23 Jun 2018 10:07:55 7,720 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My bloody valentine - tinnitus out of ten.
  • thelzdking 23 Jun 2018 10:08:53 9,043 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    My bloody valentine - tinnitus out of ten.
    Where/when? Missed them last time and would love to see them.
  • IronGiant 23 Jun 2018 10:15:44 5,859 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nine Inch Nails last night at the Southbank Centre.

    Loved it, played a lot from The Fragile this time, apparently Alan Moulder was in the audience :)

    Great venue, acoustics were fantastic.. flawless performance as usual and great atmosphere.
  • cov 23 Jun 2018 10:15:59 1,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ministry playing Manchester july 20th I have just heard!
  • beastmaster 23 Jun 2018 10:57:21 19,069 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Foo Fighters - 10

    If youíre a fan they never disappoint on their live shows.
  • Vortex808 23 Jun 2018 12:59:46 13,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    My bloody valentine - tinnitus out of ten.
    Where/when? Missed them last time and would love to see them.
    This. Are they touring just now?

    Edit:Yes, but in the states. :(

    Edited by Vortex808 at 13:01:30 23-06-2018
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Jun 2018 17:01:25 22,196 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I saw orchestra polyrhytmo at the jazz cafe last week and for a bunch of guys in their seventies they had tons of energy, they were great fun too.

    Their support band were very good too, they are called Minyanta and they had an excellent groove.

    The jazz cafe is showing more and more interesting stuff.
  • jimnastics 23 Jun 2018 17:35:03 1,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Foo Fighters - 10

    If youíre a fan they never disappoint on their live shows.
    Do you not get fed up with Dave's OTT WOOOOaaaaah yYEAAAAH! shtick? I saw them in 1998 and it was glorious, then it all went silly.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.