Rate the last gig you went to see out of 10! Page 32

• Fourwisemen 24 Jun 2018 09:10:40 778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Foo Fighters - 10

If youíre a fan they never disappoint on their live shows.
    Do you not get fed up with Dave's OTT WOOOOaaaaah yYEAAAAH! shtick? I saw them in 1998 and it was glorious, then it all went silly.
    Foo Fighters are still a great live band, imho, but Iíd agree that theyíre not quite what they used to be. DG is still a great front man, the band have always played superbly, but DGs voice is starting to show the signs of age and the wooos an yeaaahs have increased (possibly as a cover for not being able to deliver what he used to be able to).

I saw them in 98 as well, Manchester Apollo, and it was a gig that changed my perceptions of what music I could enjoy. After that the Apollo again and then festivals/stadiums on many occasions and never did I fail to enjoy it....but....I know theyíre not quite what they were.
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Jun 2018 09:19:18 4,280 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I think their main problem is that they keep making the same record
  • beastmaster 24 Jun 2018 09:20:07 18,915 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not fed up with them yet.

Got 2 gigs next week.

Kiefer Sutherland on Thursday (England match though. Damn!)

Hacienda Classical on Saturday. Never been but Iíve been told itís very good.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Jun 2018 10:19:41 5,845 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Killers last night - 10/10

Amazing live, Brandon Flowers is an excellent showman. They played a perfect mix of new and old stuff and almost knocked the stadium walls down with ĎAll these things that Iíve doneí.

Superb - if theyíre ever live near you donít hesitate.
  • Vortex808 5 Aug 2018 00:03:26 12,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Revisiting being 14 having gone to see Iron Maiden's recent tour with my lad.

Cracking show, many old songs played, plenty of pyrotechnics and a big spitfire hanging from the roof for the first song.

It should hopefully make for a memorable first gig! 😃
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Aug 2018 07:52:37 14,055 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iron Maiden was my first gig. (Brave New World Tour).
  • Vortex808 5 Aug 2018 09:19:41 12,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last time i saw Maiden was in '92 I think.

My first gig was Kiss on the crazy nights tour, my ears didn't know what had hit them. I think they rang for days after. Definitely had the sound cranked up to 11 that day!
  • MadCaddy13 5 Aug 2018 09:26:49 3,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw Pearl Jam a couple of weeks ago in London.

Great set but the audience were pretty douchy. One guy in front of me (we were in the main standing area) didnít get off his phone making shitty Pearl Jam Instagram posts. We werenít at the front but we were close but it just felt like no one was up for a rock show. Iím the type of guy to get stuck in and jump about, everyone around us weíre just standing there. Old band I know with an ageing audience.

But as mentioned, Pearl Jam were great

• wuntyphyve 5 Aug 2018 23:28:59 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Revisiting being 14 having gone to see Iron Maiden's recent tour with my lad.

Cracking show, many old songs played, plenty of pyrotechnics and a big spitfire hanging from the roof for the first song.

It should hopefully make for a memorable first gig! 😃
    They were bloody outstanding. I was well impressed with the set list/ staging etc.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Aug 2018 23:40:31 25,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:

Great set but the audience were pretty douchy. One guy in front of me (we were in the main standing area) didnít get off his phone making shitty Pearl Jam Instagram posts. We werenít at the front but we were close but it just felt like no one was up for a rock show. Iím the type of guy to get stuck in and jump about, everyone around us weíre just standing there. Old band I know with an ageing audience.

Sadly the majority of concert attendees are now cunts with little or no emotional connection to the band. I wish mobile phones were banned from every gig.
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 00:23:04 12,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:

They were bloody outstanding. I was well impressed with the set list/ staging etc.
    Indeed. My lad hasn't stopped talking about it all day. His mate was the same too according to his dad.

We enjoyed it a lot too! 😃

Sadly, they're both now angling for another gig, now we've opened that pandora's box for them!
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2018 13:40:26 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Vortex808 Heh, your wallet may regret that! But that's awesome. What a first gig to go to. It's certainly one of the highlights for me. In fact I'm not sure if I've seen a better gig, including the last time I saw Maiden. I took the Mrs, who is fast becoming converted into becoming a fan. She said it was the best live show she'd ever been to. Not bad considering her music of choice is Dolly Parton and Cher...
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 13:52:52 12,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-D
  • OllyJ 7 Aug 2018 10:06:17 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going to see Maiden tonight, can't wait!
  • BeheretiK 7 Aug 2018 10:14:15 916 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went to the Manchester gig last night with my fiance who is much like wuntyphyve's other half in that she is more into show tunes than metal shows. And therefore she really didn't like Killswitch (I thought they were OK, especially the cover of Holy diver!!) but she absolutely loved Iron Maiden. They were great and the sets were amazing and the crowd just really up for it as well. She even said she would not mind seeing them again and that I did not expect :-)

Oh, OllyJ, tonight is Bruce's 60th birthday so hopefully an even better performance, if that is possible.
  • Buffalo_Bertie 7 Aug 2018 10:22:49 26 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @MadCaddy13 I was at this gig too, but not in the standing section. First time I've ever had a seat at a gig (special thanks to my failing knees) and I thought Pearl Jam were absolutely amazing.

Admittedly I've never seen them before and they're very much a bucket list band for me, so I may have been hyping it up too much.

Ten/10
  • wuntyphyve 7 Aug 2018 10:28:00 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Going to see Maiden tonight, can't wait!
    Enjoy, it's going to be immense.
  • OllyJ 7 Aug 2018 13:30:15 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BeheretiK Ha amazing, hope we get to sing happy birthday to himm!

Really excited to see Killswitch, I think they are an ace live band.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Aug 2018 14:35:32 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have to say Killswitch were fucking good too. Certainly seemed win a lot of the audience over. Myself included.
  • rocketsndinos 8 Aug 2018 08:25:57 24 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Portishead 9/10 - because perfection does not exist
  • OllyJ 9 Aug 2018 10:13:13 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah Maiden was amazing, just hit after hit. When the low point is Number of the Beast you know it's a blinder, a true spectacle, and Bruce sounded INCREDIBLE.

Thought Killswitch were brilliant, just sooo tight, they did this super solo/shred fest at the end of Holy Diver and it blew my face right off.

9.5/10 (No Alexander the Great or Rime of the Ancient Mariner level epic)
  • robthehermit 22 Aug 2018 16:16:01 7,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just booked tickets for Madness in December \o/
  • TurkeyNeck 23 Aug 2018 09:24:47 162 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Went to see Liam Gallagher at weekend. I know heís not everybodyís cup of tea but the gig was awesome. Richard Ashcroft on the bill before him doing bitter sweet symphony was epic. Big crowd, lots of flairs, everyone singing. Top night.
  • Vortex808 31 Aug 2018 11:00:41 12,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Public Image Limited

Not overly familiar with them beyond their earlier first couple of albums. They played mostly new stuff, with a fair few older songs towards the end, including Open Up which worked well with live instruments, without quite having the kick of the original version. It was a good gig, and I thought the new stuff held up pretty well tbh.

John seems to have really hit the pies though, or he's been eating too much of his butter stockpile.

7/10
  • Load_2.0 31 Aug 2018 11:11:22 28,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:

That was exactly my experience, saw them in Marseilles maybe 10 years ago and the audience was exactly the same. They were pitch perfect and belted out the songs but the atmosphere was just flat.
  • Jono62 31 Aug 2018 14:30:11 21,591 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, same thing when I went to see Public Enemy and Mos Def. Mos Def made an example of someone who was doing it.
  • Zomoniac 2 Sep 2018 11:08:54 9,888 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Taylor Swift - Nissan Stadium, Nashville

It was like the (amazing) Manchester show, but a hundred times better, and with bonus Tim McGraw.

• RichDC 21 Oct 2018 23:32:08 8,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Threshold - Legends of the Shires full album tour

As the title suggests these British prog metal legends played the whole of the most recent album, which luckily I really liked (though it has a couple of filler tracks). They played it flawlessly though with a couple of older tracks afterwards. Good fun but I hope to see them another time with a more varied set list.

Highlights: The Man Who Saw Through Time and State of Independence

8/10

Edited by RichDC at 08:49:14 22-10-2018
  • Deleted user 23 October 2018 10:30:03
    Carpenter Brut - 10/10

I generally prefer Perturbator's music but Carpenter Brut's shows are always more fun. The crowd skewed a little younger this time and was a lot less restrained than usual, the standing area was a mosh pit for half the set. Also half the audience usually have no idea who CB is and just show up to enjoy some music, but last night everyone knew the songs and sang along, really great atmosphere. Went with the missus who has no idea what moshing is so just looked puzzled while she was being buffeted around, but had a good time anyway.
  • wuntyphyve 4 Nov 2018 12:15:24 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cancer Bats / Anti Flag

Bloody hell. That was worth the six hour round trip. Cancer Bats may be my new favourite band and Anti Flag were utterly incendiary live. 10/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.