Cornwall and Devon recommendations?

First Previous
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 May 2008 14:03:42 7,039 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Me and Mrs Pac-Man At My Wife are off for a cheapo holiday camping in Cornwall and Devon first week of June.

Anyone got any recommendations of places to go, things to do, places to see, food to eat, secrets to find?

Thanks!
  • smoothpete 6 May 2008 14:06:36 35,831 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well the old Eden jobby is an essential
  • Carlo 6 May 2008 14:07:01 20,564 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There are no power pellets in Cornwall, so be carefull down in that corner of the map Pacman
  • otto Moderator 6 May 2008 14:07:57 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Eden's amazing but careful with your timing, try to avoid the tour groups!

Are you 100% fixed on Devon & Cornwall? IMHO Pembrokeshire is like the south-west without the crowds.
  • Salaman 6 May 2008 14:11:51 23,643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We were there last year around the start of May (Cornwall).

We were based in Mevagissey and mostly explored SW-wards from there.

I think we enjoyed our afternoon going from Marazion to Penzance & Mousehole + then onwards to Land's end for a walk along the cliffsides the most.
    Didn't like St. Ives. We arrived there late on the same day and after Penzance, Mousehole and the lovely cliffside wals near Land's end, it didn't appeal. We drove into St. Ives, saw the throngs of tourists and drove straight out again.
  • X201 6 May 2008 14:12:07 19,249 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations of ... food to eat,

If the signs on every other building are anything to go by, everyone in Devon lives on Cream Teas.
  • caligari 6 May 2008 14:12:57 17,945 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This weather is perfect for surfing in Newquay. \o/

/used to go there all the time for his family holidays
  • Salaman 6 May 2008 14:14:11 23,643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We also went to the Eden thing and turned back as we only had half a day and the price seemed ridiculous steep.
    Our B&B was a few miles from the lost gardens of Heligan which we visited the day before Eden. Somehow Eden didn't seem to appeal after that.

I can highly recommend Heligan.
  • pjmaybe 6 May 2008 14:15:28 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Heligan's ace - but again try and avoid the old biddy tour groups unless you like walking at 2ft per hour.

(damn Sal beat me to it)

Can also recommend a short visit to Roche Rock - if only for the photo opportunity and the fucking weird cat that follows you around for your entire visit to the place.
  • otto Moderator 6 May 2008 14:17:30 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Parts of the Pembrokshire coast are nice but its a bit of a trek and some parts are really chavvy imho.
    !!

Must be a different Pembrokeshire! :D

I confess I'm really struggling to see the appeal of windswept cliffs, bird sanctuaries, dolmens and rocky coves for the charver crew!
  • Ginger 6 May 2008 14:17:41 7,252 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you can get down to St Ives I second harrys recommendation - it's a fantastic place, really picturesque and has a Tate down there for cultural improvement too
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 May 2008 14:18:29 7,039 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks guys, this is really good!

Been to the Eden Project before so we'll be missing that (although enjoyed it loads when we went there).

The Lost Gardens look really good - thanks for the heads-up. :)
  • magicpanda 6 May 2008 14:20:55 14,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a castle right on the sea cliffs somewhere in that area... Tintagel I think. Well worth a look.
  • pjmaybe 6 May 2008 14:28:12 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For walks n'stuff, there are some awesome trails up and around the Cheesewring - lots of abandoned tin mines for photo opportunities too. Every single bloody time I've been there though it's rained, even in the height of summer.
  • Alastair 6 May 2008 14:35:39 23,635 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Well the old Eden jobby is an essential

Not far from there are the Lost Gardens of Heligan, which is also nice.

Edit: Doh - beaten to it by everyone. :o)

Oh, and if you pass through Truro, wave at the Trelisk County Hospital - I was born there.
  • Retroid Moderator 6 May 2008 14:45:34 45,463 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Cornwall and Devon recommendations?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  • Amajiro 6 May 2008 14:48:32 2,214 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I can strongly recommend Fowey - a lovely fishing village on the south coast where I got married. Some great pubs and restaurants and they have a great regatta in August.
  • dr_swin 6 May 2008 15:16:21 4,929 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    woolacombe bay has a nice beach - pretty busy though when the sun shines. lots of surfers and bodyboarders. somewhere like ivybridge is well placed for exploring dartmoor. We have always thought dartmouth is really nice.
  • shamblemonkee 6 May 2008 15:24:50 17,962 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's also an orangutan sanctuary and that weird man who lives with wolves down that way.

Also badger watch nights if those tickle your fancy.

tintadgel(sp?) coast walk

ponies and der on Exmoor

deep sea fishing

Squires fish and chip restaurant in Braunton.

and also again lost gardens of heligan
  • shamblemonkee 6 May 2008 15:26:59 17,962 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    woolacombe bay has a nice beach - pretty busy though when the sun shines. lots of surfers and bodyboarders. somewhere like ivybridge is well placed for exploring dartmoor. We have always thought dartmouth is really nice.

have a flat on the hill above woolacombe, and agree it is great, recocmend you go to the next beach along in the summer though as it does indeed get very busy and it's nicer anyway.
  • Tricky 6 May 2008 15:37:05 4,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If you can work it into your travel schedule, then Lydford Gorge is nice. It has the Devil's Cauldron there which is a very dramatic set of whirlpools carved out over thousands of years.

It's just on the north west edge of Dartmoor, so it's an option on your way in or out of Devon/Cornwall really.
  • Sorbicol 6 May 2008 15:38:05 591 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Depends what you are going there for. Avoid Newquay like the plague however, over the last ten years it has turned into chav's ville surfing centre and quite frankley is dire. Not sure about Padstow, it used to be lovely down there but I'm told it's suffering the same sort of problem due to the Rick Stein restaurant effect.

Erm, The coast around Perranporth (which has the best beach in Cornwall) is lovely and well owrth a visit or a stroll along the coast path. I still like St. Ives although it gets very busy in the summer, Lands end is a commerial hell hole although you can walk round the back of it and get access to the cliffs now. Personally I much prefer the North Coast of Cornwall than the South Coast, although I admit Mousehole is a very nice place to go as well.

Dunno if Flambards is still open but that's good a rainy day, the host gardens at Heligan are also well worth investigating as well. There is a seal sanctuary near Helford that's good if the wifey is into the whole nature & cute animals thing. Also definitey worth it is the Mynack Theatre near Penzence - it's a open ampitheatre cut into cliff face looking out over the Atlantic Ocean and seriously good for a spot of culture - they do a lot of shakespear there over the summer and it can be magical on a hot summer's evening ;)

For Devon, Linton and Lynmouth are worth investigating going down towards the valley of the rocks on the North Coast, as is the whole of Dartmoor and Exmoor. Widdicombe on the Moor (Dartmoor) and Dulverton (Exmoor) are both excellent places to visit for proper cream teas. Go to Wiviliscombe for the Cotleigh and Exmoor breweries if your taste lie in other directions though. Clovelly is a love thatched cottage village now near Barnstable also well worth visiting.

Oh, and as has been said before The Eden Project should be your first port of call. That place is amazing!

My Tourist promotion for the West Country is now concluded :)
  • dr_swin 6 May 2008 15:43:07 4,929 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    the national aquarium in plymouth is worth a look as well. especially if there are any little pacmen to consider.
  • Fatfish 6 May 2008 15:46:19 3,377 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can't recommend the Camel Estuary enough for a nice day out.

Drive to Wadebridge and hire bikes (if you haven't got your own) and ride along to Padstow - only a few miles along the Camel Trail which runs along the river and is nice and flat. Catch the ferry across to Rock (5 minute trip) and lock up your bikes.

Follow the headland paths round and up on to Bray Hill (where my fiance and I got engaged last year - one of the best views in the SW!). Head down the other side of the hill to Daymar Beach. It's beautiful and secluded, but can get a bit busy during the height of the summer.

Head across the beach and up the other side on to the next headland and then walk over to Polzeath. Have a look around the village - plenty of surf shops - grab some lunch and an ice cream. If you've got time, have a sunbathe on the beach - or even better, hire a surfboard and suit and get wet! - before then heading back along the same route to get home.

Probably takes around 2-2.5 hours each way. It's a lovely way to spend the day and the scenery is gorgeous.

And if you really want to treat the other half, there's Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow, if you like seafood - personally though, I thought it was a bit over rated.

edit: Places to avoid include - Newquay, (especially!!) Torquay, Plymouth (unless you're after a day out shopping), Bodmin (the town itself, not the moor), Truro, Liskeard and St.Austell. They're either all over run by chavs on holiday or have nothing of interest and are populated by local chavs.

And yes, I speak from experience - I've been living in Devon and Cornwall for the last 12 years!

Oh, and while I remember, Dartmouth is also very picturesque, but can be a bugger to get to and is normally over run by 'yachty' types during the spring/summer.
  • Tricky 6 May 2008 15:56:33 4,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dartmouth is lovely - we tend to use that as our base for when we go down to the south coast to stay. There's some pretty good restaurants there too.
  • otto Moderator 6 May 2008 15:58:02 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    We stayed in Broadhaven which was chavvy in the extreme. Although a short drive/long walk took us to nicer places. You can see the local refinery for miles and miles though.

I've been to the Pembrokeshire in Wales, is there another one?
    I've never even heard of Broadhaven! :D

We've always stayed near St David's with outings to Tenby.

I have to confess I'm really not a big fan of Cornwall. Devon's OK though Clovelly is pure Disneyland, would be lovely if it didn't feel so incredibly fake. In Cornwall my best experiences have been out of season and on the south coast. The Lizard is nice in parts. Newquay is absolutely dire and should be avoided at all costs, ditto Padstow.
  • pjmaybe 6 May 2008 16:00:33 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    /hates Devon.

Dunno why, place always depresses the living fuck out of me. Some parts of the moors are OK though.

Agree on Padstow and Newquay. Two of the reasons you should head off the beaten track as much as possible in Cornwall. Ditto Lands End which has been turned into a fucking "pay to enter" theme park style job (at least if you drive there. You can still walk the coastline for free if you get there by other means).
  • Deleted user 7 May 2008 07:54:16
    Make sure you go to see the monkeys!!! :D

http://www.monkeysanctuary.org/

Also nearby is the cave where they shot the cover for this. When I briefly worked in Cornwall took the missus for a day out to both. The cave is bonkers and apparently they have gigs in there occasionally.

Avoid Camborne as well as other places mentioned - chav scum proliferate there.

Also loudly let it be known how you despise the concept of summer homes for rich Londoners as a quick way to befriend / calm enraged locals if you have a posh accent.

(Edited for lynch-worthy offence of misspelling Camborne)
  • Tremendosaurus 7 May 2008 09:09:43 1,194 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    /hates Devon.

Dunno why, place always depresses the living fuck out of me. Some parts of the moors are OK though.

/hates peej

Yer better off up north bey. We don't want yer type round ere anyhow!

.. and while I'm at it: "Get orf moi laaaaaaaaaaand!"
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.