Cornwall and Devon recommendations? Page 2

• emr200583 25 Jan 2009 12:48:57 1 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you are staying in Devon I can recommend Paignton and Torquay, Torbay is a lovely area.

In Cornwall I can recommend Perranporth.

If you are looking for accomodation visit http://www.westcountryhols.co.uk
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 25 Jan 2009 13:24:30 572 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    /hates Devon.

Dunno why, place always depresses the living fuck out of me. Some parts of the moors are OK though.

/hates peej

Yer better off up north bey. We don't want yer type round ere anyhow!

.. and while I'm at it: "Get orf moi laaaaaaaaaaand!"

Agreed. :)
  • Super_Zee 25 Jan 2009 16:04:45 2,105 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love Fowey, right down on the Cornish coast. It's small and beautiful, you can point at Daphne Du Maurier's old house and you might see the Bergerac guy.

I've stayed there a few times (including watching the total eclipse on a cliff overlooking the bay) as a good friend grew up there and the best Cornish Pasties I've ever eaten were from a place in the main town next to the church.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2009 18:11:02
    I live, at 'home', in central Devon. Anyone who says it's shit is blind. East/South side of the moor, little valleys and rivers = love.

Dartmouth/Salcombe
    Parts of the moor.
    Parts of N/Devon, I much prefer south, however.
    Camel Estuary/Polseath, out of season.

Cornwall is gorgeous in part, depressing in others.
  • Mokero 27 Jan 2009 17:29:22 80 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All these people are recommending rubbish places, dant listen to 'em. Do South West Devon like Teignmouth/Shaldon/Dawlish, you can camp in my garden =).................. Or just go to a campsite.

tbh all the moors stuff I agree with, Dartmoor is awesome.
  • Duffking 27 Jan 2009 17:32:11 16,187 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    emr200583 wrote:
    If you are staying in Devon I can recommend Paignton and Torquay, Torbay is a lovely area.

In Cornwall I can recommend Perranporth.

If you are looking for accomodation visit http://www.westcountryhols.co.uk

Since I live in Torbay I would probably tell you exact opposite.

/can't wait to leave
  • Youthist 27 Jan 2009 17:48:09 13,810 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Take a brolly.
  • 200k 28 Jan 2009 12:00:47 183 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any good recomendations for hotels in Devon Cornwall? Want to spend 4/5 nights down there taking in as many of the places bigged up in this thread as possible. Nice hotel or rented accom, not too dear - going early march so should avoid the tourist season.
  • Ginger 28 Jan 2009 12:14:39 7,252 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I stayed here for my stag do - it was dirt cheap and has a sauna. It's in Torquay as well so plenty of bars in walking distance :)
  • JohnnyWashnGo 28 May 2009 22:08:31 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mrs JohnnyWashngo and I did the same thing last year... took a week off work and drove around the south of England. Cornwall was friggin ace.

We bought the british bed and breakfast guide, planned nothing, winged it by driving down there, seeing some sights, calling a couple of b&bs or farmhouses to find a room and heading in that general direction. Worked a treat and we met so many nice people along the way.

One thing I highly recommend if you are in the Cornwall area is a visit to the Minack Theatre (http://www.minack.com/). The road that leads you to the place is the most bizarre road I have driven on. So small and narrow and winding. The actual theatre is great. The chairs are all carved from the stone that is part of the ground making tthe seating very cold, but really quite enjoyable.
  • jerrymanu 29 May 2009 13:39:36 3,115 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To second Johnny's post above. Head to the Minack but also make sure you sample the beach down below as well - Porth Curnow. Its a beautiful part of the country. Iirc, there's a small museum, a couple of pubs a hotel or two. It's all very lovely :D
  • localnotail 29 May 2009 16:12:27 23,072 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Polzeath has good surf and is not too far from Heligan in the car. Keep an eye out for the ghost at Heligan btw
  • Murbs 29 May 2009 16:16:51 24,282 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been to the Minack twice, first time was to see A Midsummer Night's Dream, as the sun set over the sea... Beautiful. Second time we took our eldest daughter (#2 wasn't around then!) and saw teh Grimm Tales, whilst watching basking sharks in the bay. Magical.

Porthcurno beach is bloody lovely too.
  • Deleted user 29 May 2009 16:19:19
    I went to uni in Exeter, so I'm a big Devon fan. Dawlish is my secret top tip. Lovely place.
  • silentbob 29 May 2009 16:20:29 29,510 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Port Isaac! Used to live in the Wheelhouse restaurant (probably called something else now) on the Platt right by the sea.

Lovely place, but you wouldn't want to live there.*

*As a 10 year old kid.
  • Murbs 29 May 2009 16:27:19 24,282 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I went to uni in Exeter, so I'm a big Devon fan.

Did you have one of those window stickers in the vein of Carlsberg?
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2009 16:27:25 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Don't go to Dairyland in Cornwall.

Do go to the Otter sanctuary just outside Launceston, which is made of all kinds of awesome and has a fucking superb cafe.
  • Deleted user 29 May 2009 16:28:57
    Murbal wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Bumper sticker yeah :)
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2009 16:32:52 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    St Ives is also awesome, as is Polperro.

Do not, repeat do not go to St Austell unless you want to be transported back in time to the 1970s and experience a town that smells as bad as it looks as bad as it tastes
  • JuanKerr 29 May 2009 16:33:45 37,710 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another shout out for St Ives, great place.

And you're bang on about St Austell, peej.
  • Dirtbox 29 May 2009 16:34:45 91,133 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Murbs 29 May 2009 16:37:56 24,282 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I went to St Austell in the 80s. Saw Bucks Fizz. Never went back.
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2009 16:38:11 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Was a little surprised because Eden (which is excellent) is just down the road. So we dropped in on the way back and...fucking hell the place needs bombing flat and starting again.

Weirdest place in Cornwall for eats and cheap tat has to be the infamous Trago Mills. This place is like something out of The Prisoner. Imagine an outlet centre archictecturally designed by a complete madman, which has huge voluminous spaces inside filled with every piece of plasticky cheap tat you can imagine, plus a lot of very useful stuff, plus a record department that still sells records (ie vinyl and not the cool stuff either).

Has a reasonably good eaterie, severe security guards and a weird set of statues and a nature walk! Oh and a helipad :)

Bonkers place but has to be seen / experienced to be believed.
  • opalw00t 29 May 2009 16:39:26 12,818 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Bumper sticker yeah :)
    It's the law... :)

Another vote for St Ives.
  • Murbs 29 May 2009 16:39:35 24,282 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As peej says, St Ives is lovely. I never really appreciated it until me 'n' MrsMurbs first stayed in the town rather than passing through - it's now one of our favourite places in the world.
  • Deleted user 29 May 2009 16:39:58
    I was in newquay last weekend, good laugh..but far too many pikeys. Made me feel old too.
    :(
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2009 16:42:38 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    As peej says, St Ives is lovely. I never really appreciated it until me 'n' MrsMurbs first stayed in the town rather than passing through - it's now one of our favourite places in the world.

Ditto. Can be a pain in the arse to visit if you park in that car park at the top of the hill, but it's the perfect little seaside town. Lots of cool (and not so cool) arty types down there, and of course The Tate. Fucking excellent chippie (probably the best in Cornwall) just outside the town on the road back out again too.

Newquay's alright. Love the Blue Reef place but beats me why people head there as a preference.
  • jerrymanu 29 May 2009 17:04:41 3,115 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Newquay's alright. Love the Blue Reef place but beats me why people head there as a preference.

Leave them too it! Its actually alright out of season but during the summer its full of idiots. Loads more stunning places to visit and they're not populated by arse holes.

+1 for St. Ives. Across the bay is Hayle and Gwithian Towans. HUGE, flat beach, sand dunes for exploration, good surf and schools to learn a bit. Also very nice cafe / hire shop right by the car park called Sunset Cafe or something. Take a wander further down the lane and you'll come to The Jam Pot. Crackin cream teas etc. and the wife'll think your a star :D

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.