Cornwall and Devon recommendations? Page 3

• jerrymanu 29 May 2009 17:11:06 3,115 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry for the double post but the quote thingy has gone all screwy in the post above. The link in my post above is actually very useful. It's got all sorts of info. re: the area, accommodation, services etc. I'm seriously thinking of going on holiday to Cornwall this year and laughing the west coast of France off.

/Lives on a sunny island in the med and thinks Cornwall pisses all over it.
  • jerrymanu 5 Jun 2009 15:35:24 3,115 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Excited update :D We officially laughed off the west coast of France and have booked 10 days here at the beginning of August. Gotta sort the flights to the UK now :(
  • jerrymanu 5 Jun 2009 15:35:28 3,115 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • boo 5 Jun 2009 15:47:36 13,516 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Only four weeks and we're off to Cornwall for a fortnight here.
    We've stayed there a few times before - two of us in a place that sleeps six * is a bit extravagant, but it's our only proper holiday of the year and we love the space.

*this is not an invite for any of you lot to turn up and crash
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • peacehaven 15 Jan 2011 10:52:16 1 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Me and Mrs Pac-Man At My Wife are off for a cheapo holiday camping in Cornwall and Devon first week of June.

Anyone got any recommendations of places to go, things to do, places to see, food to eat, secrets to find?

Thanks!

I Highly recommend the Seven Stars in Kingsbridge for food. Such a lovely town as well.

South Devon Accommodation
  • Stickman 15 Jan 2011 11:02:05 29,986 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jut two and a half years late, fuckwit.
  • TheHammerite 15 Jan 2011 12:55:55 3,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exeter is a lovely city, but stay away from Plymouth. When you're in Cornwall you might want to check out the Jamaica Inn
  • robthehermit 15 Jan 2011 13:35:22 7,365 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I cant believe that in all the responses nobody mentioned Kynance Cove. It's quite simply the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

/doesn't get out much.

Nothing there except a small over priced cafe, and some of the greatest coastline you'll ever see. Me and the mrs went there last year, we turned the corner from the car park, and the view stopped us both in our tracks. We just stood there captivated. People should go there.
  • Emmit_Assassin 16 Jan 2011 17:28:28 752 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can all feck off and leave my bit of the world alone!! We don't want you all down here fuckin up our beaches and leaving us with the bloody council bill to pay for the clean up every year!!

Joking. EG-ers are welcome. Just not in Rock.
  • tenofspades 16 Jan 2011 18:18:11 1,771 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations of ... food to eat,

If the signs on every other building are anything to go by, everyone in Devon lives on Cream Teas.

an Cornish pasties. an we also t'alk a bit funny.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2011 18:42:16
    Saffron Cake!

Lightly toasted with some real butter = bliss.
  • TheHammerite 16 Jan 2011 20:17:23 3,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Perranporth is a lovely place to visit. Always enjoy myself there. Just out of interest, anyone on here been to Bideford? What a dump
  • smurphs 16 Jan 2011 20:28:31 146 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The blue bar in porthtowan is pretty special . Gyllyngvase beach cafe in Falmouth is also great. Stay away from Newquay if you want to avoid the tourist trap. Stan's games exchange in Falmouth is great for second hand games too!
  • Deleted user 16 January 2011 22:10:02
    smurphs wrote:
    The blue bar in porthtowan is pretty special . Gyllyngvase beach cafe in Falmouth is also great. Stay away from Newquay if you want to avoid the tourist trap. Stan's games exchange in Falmouth is great for second hand games too!

Gyllyngvase beach cafe is great, but at a price :)

Is stan's games still going? good to see one town where there's no Game and an Independent still going strong.
  • Trowel 16 Jan 2011 22:21:41 22,572 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheHammerite wrote:
    Perranporth is a lovely place to visit. Always enjoy myself there. Just out of interest, anyone on here been to Bideford? What a dump
    We used to do our annual football tour to Clovelly every year (knew a team down there) and the Sat night every year was Bideford - Crabby Dicks and Ceasars, what a night!
  • smurphs 17 Jan 2011 15:03:28 146 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    smurphs wrote:

Gyllyngvase beach cafe is great, but at a price :)

Is stan's games still going? good to see one town where there's no Game and an Independent still going strong.

Yes, Stan's Games Exchange is still going strong. And what with a new cinema opened up a few doors from him and a fantastic milkshake shop I think he must be doing quite well these days. I don't know why Game never bothered with Falmouth, but I'm glad of it. You never know, with all the proposed store closures maybe your town could be liberated too! (apologies to anyone who works at Game, I usually get on well with the staff but for some strange reason the store managers always seem to be complete gits).
  • solidsneek 21 Aug 2017 14:26:59 763 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone been to Lynton? just spoke to a customer on the phone from there checked it out and it looks beautiful they have a water powered train that goes like 500ft to the top of the town.
  • Alastair 21 Aug 2017 14:29:05 23,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You won't find much Greek mythology in the West Country...
  • LittleSparra 21 Aug 2017 14:36:22 7,926 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lynton is a nice enough little town. Lynmouth is also nice, down the cliff. Not much to see and do though, unless you're looking for a quiet time. However, if you make a little tour of it, the north Devon/Somerset coast has a lot of very tucked-away, very quiet places (away from the holiday spots in school hols, anyway) to enjoy. Lynmouth to Woolacombe to Hartland, etc. Exmoor is really nice in general too, Dunster is beautiful.

Just don't drive up Porlock Hill in a weak car.
  • solidsneek 21 Aug 2017 14:37:06 763 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    You won't find much Greek mythology in the West Country...
    I know right! No this holiday is purely for me and the kids the Greek trip is for me and a friend a bit more tourism. Hard to do greek mythology with a 2 year old.
  • drhcnip 21 Aug 2017 14:38:48 6,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @solidsneek

many a time - the in-laws are in bideford, just along the coast, so we've been going down on cottage holidays to north/mid devon for over 20 years...

lynton/lynmouth (ton is at the top, mouth is at the bottom) is a lovely spot - the cliff railway connects the two...

http://www.visitlyntonandlynmouth.com/

there's also a gorgeous walk from lynmouth to watersmeet, which we did a few years back, and the fabulous valley of the rocks which we did this year - a little hair-raising taking our two nutter pooches along the cliff path....
  • drhcnip 21 Aug 2017 14:39:33 6,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LittleSparra wrote:

Just don't drive up Porlock Hill in a weak car.
    amen to that...
  • solidsneek 21 Aug 2017 14:41:32 763 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @drhcnip Judging by the drone footage the top looks nothing short of stunning and the views look incredible. Ah the ton and mouth thing makes sense. One of my customers maintains the cart from top to bottom.
  • LittleSparra 21 Aug 2017 14:45:05 7,926 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Valley of the Rocks is indeed lovely.
  • drhcnip 21 Aug 2017 14:48:45 6,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    got to be the best site for a cricket pitch anywhere...

and then there's the mad feral goats....

Edited by drhcnip at 14:48:59 21-08-2017
  • Billy-Daniels 21 Aug 2017 14:55:53 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    solidsneek wrote:
    Anyone been to Lynton? just spoke to a customer on the phone from there checked it out and it looks beautiful they have a water powered train that goes like 500ft to the top of the town.
    Don't trust those bastard north Devonians, they may have water powered trains and Lundy Island but they're a bunch of shysters! Not as bad as the Cornish but I still wouldn't trust 'em.

South Devon is where you'll find all the honourable and trustworthy Devonians like Joss Stone and Tom Daley. We've also got our own band called Muse from Teignmouth. North Devon can't compete, we've even got water slides in Paignton.
  • LittleSparra 21 Aug 2017 15:09:15 7,926 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stay away from Paignton. In fact, stay away from the whole Torbay area. Ne'er do wells abound.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.