Cornwall and Devon recommendations? Page 4

• Duffking 21 Aug 2017 15:10:55 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking as someone who grew up in Torbay, don't go there, it's shit.

Actually, that's a bit too broad. Don't go to Paignton and most of Torquay, it's shit.

Babbacombe, Cockington, Brixham, Churston and Broadsands Beach aren't so bad. The rest of it... eugh.
  • Billy-Daniels 21 Aug 2017 15:33:42 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Babbacombe, Cockington, Brixham, Churston and Broadsands Beach aren't so bad. The rest of it... eugh.
    You sounded like a local until you recommended Brixham, now I have my doubts. I'm from Galmpton by the way. Guessing you're a smelly, fishy Brixhamite from that quote.

Joking aside, Torbay is good for grockles (tourists) with kids but not much else. Everything in between Torbay and Plymouth is nice if you like picturesque countryside. Plymouth is a shithole.

Nobody's mentioned Totnes though. Other than Dartmouth it's probably the nicest town we have in South Devon but not much happens there.
  • LittleSparra 21 Aug 2017 15:43:26 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bunch of hippies, is why.
  • Billy-Daniels 21 Aug 2017 15:47:50 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hippies left when Dartington College closed, that was a long time ago.

What's wrong with hippies anyway? Much prefer them to the chavs of Torbay.
  • Duffking 21 Aug 2017 15:52:24 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Billy-Daniels there's admittedly not much to do in Brixham (and yeah, that's where I grew up), but the harbour area's nice to spend an afternoon in and Berry Head is quite a nice walk. Generally it's just not as chavvy as the rest of torbay, although that's mostly because the population's average age is something like 90.
  • mal 21 Aug 2017 15:58:23 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Went to Devon during the early summer hols for a week or so camping this year; the coast near croyde. Was a bit full of tourists given the good weather, but it was reasonably well set up to cope with the tide of people. All the shops were national chains of one sort of another, but if you're camping then any shop that sells eggs, milk and coffee will do really.
  • Billy-Daniels 21 Aug 2017 16:03:25 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Duffking - I bought my first house in Brixham (due to high prices everywhere else in Torbay) and couldn't wait to escape so I'm biased.

We might actually know each other depending on your age, which is a bit weird. I'm used to people on the internet being from far and exotic places like Grimsby.

Edited by Billy-Daniels at 16:04:18 21-08-2017
  • DugBriderider 21 Aug 2017 17:17:50 824 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been to North Devonnear Croyde a few times and South Devon near Bovey Tracy. For beaches the North wins easily, south has the House of Marbles though.
  • twelveways 21 Aug 2017 18:34:56 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whipsiderry is probably my favourite beach in the world, and I live in south east Asia.

Edited by twelveways at 18:35:23 21-08-2017
  • Dr-Strangelove 21 Aug 2017 18:53:15 2,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just a few places, been going for 20 years and still find new places everytime we go...

Closely
    Polperro
    Trebarwith Strand
    Bude (sea pool)
    The Minack Theatre
    Kynance cove
    Marazion - St Michaels Mount
    Mevagissey
    Gwithian and Godrevy
    Padstow
    Tintagel
    Boscastle
    Widemouth Bay
    Sandymouth Bay
  • elstoof 21 Aug 2017 19:07:27 23,687 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol you country folk are so sweet
  • MrWonderstuff 21 Aug 2017 21:43:16 2,980 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just back from Devon, lovely place. Caravan on a hill overlooking an estuary near Salcombe, camped in a field in East Prawle on the coast (funky pub nearby - Pig and Ear - and a café and shop), Bunkhouse - (Blytheswood Hostel) in the middle of woodland with some fab walking nearby. First day was actually arriving in Totnes and had a vegan buffet which was pretty cool and made a change from my normal diet of meat, meat, meat. Yes it's fully of hippies but also rather smug women eating their vegan cow food with that slow deliberate considerate way as if to say "indeed I am healthier than thou".
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Aug 2017 03:34:06 1,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Billy-Daniels wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    You sounded like a local until you recommended Brixham, now I have my doubts. I'm from Galmpton by the way. Guessing you're a smelly, fishy Brixhamite from that quote.

Joking aside, Torbay is good for grockles (tourists) with kids but not much else. Everything in between Torbay and Plymouth is nice if you like picturesque countryside. Plymouth is a shithole.

Nobody's mentioned Totnes though. Other than Dartmouth it's probably the nicest town we have in South Devon but not much happens there.
    Yes Brixham is shit too, Totnes is OK, for a day trip or a meal out but nothing else, Teignmouth is nice, touristy of course but is bustling, great for kids with plenty of good places to eat, Shaldon over the estuary, 5mins in the car or get the foot ferry from Teignmouth is nice too with some nice pubs and good for a walkabout.
  • Rodney 22 Aug 2017 04:43:03 3,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I grew up in Cornwall so know a few quiet spots where you can find the beach more or less to yourself even at the height of summer. If you don't mind a bit of a walk from the car park, Boobeys Bay is nice (very sheltered when there's a South Westerly blowing) and good for bodyboarding when the swell is too big on the main beaches. If you don't mind a climb down some cliffs (there's a path but it's very steep) then there's a place called Diggeries Bay. Always very quiet, but it gets cut off by the tide so be careful if you walk to any of the adjacent bays at low tide.

I really miss Cornwall.
  • captain_markyboy 22 Aug 2017 07:30:33 853 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I grew up in Cornwall so know a few quiet spots where you can find the beach more or less to yourself even at the height of summer. If you don't mind a bit of a walk from the car park, Boobeys Bay is nice (very sheltered when there's a South Westerly blowing) and good for bodyboarding when the swell is too big on the main beaches. If you don't mind a climb down some cliffs (there's a path but it's very steep) then there's a place called Diggeries Bay. Always very quiet, but it gets cut off by the tide so be careful if you walk to any of the adjacent bays at low tide.

I really miss Cornwall.

Ha! Boobeys!😆
  • Deleted user 22 August 2017 10:09:55
    Billy-Daniels wrote:
    Plymouth is a shithole.
    As someone who was born and bred in Plymouth...I can echo that sentiment. The place is filthy, the people are largely deeply unpleasant, not to mention extremely racist (the whole place, barring perhaps Compton, Hartley, Plympton and Plymstock, is essentially chav town) and the city centre has very little of note (no less than THREE Poundlands, countless secondhand shops, and numerous storefronts that have been empty for years).

Anyone who is planning to do both Devon & Cornwall probably won't have much choice but to go over the Tamar Bridge, so I strongly advise staying on the A38.
  • robthehermit 22 Aug 2017 10:40:17 7,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Plymouth is indeed a shithole. I can see it across the water from my office window. I very occasionally have to go back to England, and it's horrible over there. It's almost a physical reaction, I can feel the weight lift off me when I'm back in Cornwall. Which is strange considering I was born and raised in Luton, so it's not as if I'm a native. At least I'm not an emmet anymore, now I'm just an incomer.
  • Rodney 22 Aug 2017 10:59:17 3,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Growing up near Bodmin, Plymouth seemed like a big city with proper shops and McDonalds when I was growing up.

I went back there last year and I couldnt believe how totally run down it was. Full of post war decaying concrete. I Wasn't sure if my standards had changed or if it was always shit and I just didn't have anything to compare it to when growing up. Either way, it was depressingly shit.
  • LittleSparra 22 Aug 2017 11:02:27 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plymouth got bombed in the war, and then bombed in the reconstruction. The Hoe is nice, mind, and I like the aquarium.

Is a bit of a sad place to my mind, but I know a fair few Janners and it's their home, so eh.
  • Billy-Daniels 22 Aug 2017 14:35:46 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    As someone who was born and bred in Plymouth...I can echo that sentiment.
    You have my sympathy mate. I was also born in Plymouth but thankfully I've never had to live there.

@robthehermit

It's interesting you perceive Devon as England and Cornwall as a seperate entity. I don't think of either Devon or Cornwall as England, England is everything east and north of Devon to me (not including Wales of course). I don't think of myself as English or British, I'm a Devonian.

Devon and Cornwall should be known as Dumnonia like it was before Egbert of Wessex and his descendants fucked everything up, only for William the Conquerer to arrive and proceed to fuck them up.
  • Duffking 22 Aug 2017 14:45:38 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the Tamar was secretly man-made to keep Janners out of Cornwall.
  • Billy-Daniels 22 Aug 2017 14:47:43 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Too late, they've already learned how to make pasties.
  • LittleSparra 22 Aug 2017 14:57:22 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite happily consider myself Devonian, English and British, each one coming to the fore dependent on context.
  • Not-a-reviewer 22 Aug 2017 17:15:59 5,771 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Devonian when the locals try to put you in a wicker man, English at a local rally and British when baking cakes?
  • JoelStinty 22 Aug 2017 17:55:26 7,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm the black sheep of my family. They're cornish, and i was born in devon.

Though i do practically consider myself cornish.

Cornwall is ok. Beautiful place to live, and if you make the most of it (cycling, surfing, walking, pub, climbing etc etc ) it is awesome, but i do miss being accessible to civilisation. Just to get to plymouth is two hours on a the train (i live near penzance). Be nice if you could get to places like bristol, bath, london etc a little bit more quickly. Though i guess if you book a flight from newquay to gatwick far enough ahead it is reasonable. Though it feels pretty ridiculous to do that.
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Aug 2017 22:35:46 1,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Back in about 1999 I think, I had been living/working in Exeter, I got a much better job offer in Plymouth, my interview was after hours and after dark, I'd never been to Plymouth in my life before, I accepted the job, duly handed my notice in etc, yet didn't visit Plymouth in the meantime, I just assumed it would be a nice coastal city, then I started work and the realisation set in, what a shithole, heyho, moved away a while ago. Exeter is very nice, I'm priced out of ever living there now though, except in a shit part.
  • Boriska 27 Aug 2017 21:45:24 888 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Growing up near Bodmin, Plymouth seemed like a big city with proper shops and McDonalds when I was growing up.

I went back there last year and I couldnt believe how totally run down it was. Full of post war decaying concrete. I Wasn't sure if my standards had changed or if it was always shit and I just didn't have anything to compare it to when growing up. Either way, it was depressingly shit.
    It was always shite but Drakes Circus and silly rents & rates fucked a lot of the character out of the city.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.