Book recommendation (sci-fi)

First Previous
  • phAge 15 May 2008 11:17:26 25,487 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished Quarantine by Greg Egan.

Its not very long (can easily be read in three or four sittings), but the plot is one of, if not *the*, best I've ever read in a high-concept sci-fi novel. The "reveal" literally made me go "... feckin 'ell... O_o", and kindled my interested in a whole new field of science.

Perfect summer-read, and very, very highly recommended. By me. Yes.
  • otto Moderator 15 May 2008 11:45:38 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cool, ta, haven't read that and I'll give it a bash.
  • Tiger_Walts 15 May 2008 12:08:24 16,674 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you love high-concept then look no further than Frank Herbert's non-Dune stuff.
  • Mike_Hunt 15 May 2008 12:20:11 23,524 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm a big fan of Richard Morgan's altered Carbon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon

Well worth a look.

[MH]
  • President_Weasel 15 May 2008 12:32:56 12,355 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Richard Morgan's altered Carbon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon

Well worth a look.

[MH]

Aye and his other stuff is decent too, Market Forces (you can tell it's an early book but it's decent) and Black Man (think it was called 13 in the US)
  • smoothpete 15 May 2008 12:35:13 35,971 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm liking Charles Stross at the moment, Singularity Sky is very good. Glass House is also good, but kinda weird.

If you've not read it I strongly suggest Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith
  • pjmaybe 15 May 2008 12:36:14 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I find William Shatner's "Tekwar" series to be both intelligent science fiction, and rather sexy too.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2008 12:37:55
    War of the Worlds by HG Wells
  • caligari 15 May 2008 12:43:00 17,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    'Flowers For Algernon' (Daniel Keyes) was pretty amazing - if a little downbeat.

Went on a Dick binge a few months ago (ahem) and read 'Flow My Tears...', 'Do Androids Dream...' and 'Dr. Bloodmoney' - all are obviously rather excellent.

+1 for HG too - especially the Time Machine (which can be read in about 10 minutes).
  • Zob 15 May 2008 14:10:10 140 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Greg Bear's Eon, for imagination stretching fantasy and 80s sci-fi future prediction... his future has soviets competing with the US well into the 21 century.

But it is awesome IMO.
  • Hunam 15 May 2008 14:12:53 20,673 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the fact there is a Philip K Dick award. This makes the world a little more awesome.
  • suicida 15 May 2008 14:15:54 258 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neuromancer by William Gibson is one of my all time favourite books, way ahead of it's time and so influential.
  • Mashum 15 May 2008 14:22:38 154 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zob wrote:
    Greg Bear's Eon, for imagination stretching fantasy and 80s sci-fi future prediction... his future has soviets competing with the US well into the 21 century.

But it is awesome IMO.

...just half way though that now, it's not bad at all.

Has anyone mentioned Roadside Picnic? I only read it because of STALKER but ended up really enjoying it.
  • Nexus_6 15 May 2008 14:24:29 4,312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A Scanner Darkly is one of the finest novels, let alone Sci-Fi novels i have ever read.
  • pjmaybe 15 May 2008 14:26:17 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    A Scanner Darkly is one of the finest novels, let alone Sci-Fi novels i have ever read.

All PKD stuff > anything else.

Counter-Clock world for instance. What a fucking brilliant book.
  • brokenkey 15 May 2008 14:41:10 10,259 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm going to plug Snow Crash again. And everything else Neal Stephenson has done.
  • DaM 15 May 2008 14:45:38 17,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    If you love high-concept then look no further than Frank Herbert's non-Dune stuff.

Tell me much, much more.

I enjoyed The White Plague - a biochemist loses his family to an IRA bomb, and creates a plague that only kills women.
  • Phattso 15 May 2008 14:48:42 24,823 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been going back to the pre-60s era of SciFi recently, and was pleasantly surprised by More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon. Not my usual preference for sci fi type but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.
  • glaeken 15 May 2008 14:49:29 12,070 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    President Weasel wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:

Well worth a look.

[MH]

Aye and his other stuff is decent too, Market Forces (you can tell it's an early book but it's decent) and Black Man (think it was called 13 in the US)

For me, Market Forces is his weakest, but it fits, sort of. Written as a screenplay originally, and it shows.

I really like Market Forces. I think one of the things I really liked about it was the main protagonist is actually corrupted by power and does not take the path of redemption when itís offered

I loved that because it seemed so much more realistic. Plus I am sucker for future dystopian novels especially when set in the UK.
  • souljah 15 May 2008 14:53:50 4,705 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I'm liking Charles Stross at the moment, Singularity Sky is very good. Glass House is also good, but kinda weird.

Not read those two, but I have read Accelerando - difficult to get into but definatly rewarding. It's available online as a free ebook on his site.
  • Tiger_Walts 15 May 2008 15:01:58 16,674 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

Tell me much, much more.

I enjoyed The White Plague - a biochemist loses his family to an IRA bomb, and creates a plague that only kills women.

Try the ConSentiency stuff. He plays with philosophical ideas that will set your brain on fire if you think about them too much.

As ever, I shall also pimp Jon Courtenay Grimwood. Everyone should pick up the Arabesk trilogy as it's now in one handy paperback.
  • Scimarad 15 May 2008 16:31:47 9,621 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    phAge wrote:

Its not very long (can easily be read in three or four sittings), but the plot is one of, if not *the*, best I've ever read in a high-concept sci-fi novel. The "reveal" literally made me go "... feckin 'ell... O_o", and kindled my interested in a whole new field of science.

That sounds great - I may have to order that...
  • Super_Zee 15 May 2008 16:55:11 2,105 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished The Electric Church by Jeff Somers and it's a pretty good read if a little inspired by Blade Runner.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2008 19:30:09
    Zob wrote:

But it is awesome IMO.

And the mind-bending sequel 'Eternity' and spin-off 'Legacy'.

Also, more votes for Charles Stross and Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels.
  • phAge 15 May 2008 19:30:38 25,487 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    phAge wrote:

That sounds great - I may have to order that...
    Do it - I promise you you won't regret it.

/pimps
  • Deleted user 15 May 2008 19:45:05
    pjmaybe wrote:

All PKD stuff > anything else.

Counter-Clock world for instance. What a fucking brilliant book.

This is the truth. Counter-Clock World is amazing, but pretty much any of PKD's novels will make you really think. The World Jones Made and Time Out of Joint are favourites of mine.
  • Charlie_Miso 16 May 2008 04:21:32 1,190 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    suicida wrote:
    Neuromancer by William Gibson is one of my all time favourite books, way ahead of it's time and so influential.

And how. re-reading for the fifth time or something atm.

As a rabid fanboi of this book what else would i like (not by Gibson)?
  • Khanivor 16 May 2008 04:29:41 44,105 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Try some Michael Marshall Smith stuff. A fairly similar vein but less po-faced and with more humour.

Spares is excellent, as is Only Forward.

If you don't read Cryptonomicron by Neal Stephenson you're missing one of the finest sci-fi books of at least the last twenty years and a phenomenal example of the polymath who has a way with words.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.