Book recommendation (sci-fi) Page 11

Next Last
  • thegamesthething 11 Jan 2011 12:45:19 1,079 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Has anyone read the Evolutionary Void by Peter F. Hamilton?

I just finished the Temporal Void and getting bored with the Edeard's story and the whole resetting time thing was a bit of a cop out.

Is the new one better or worse?

Much the same - meh, though relatively entertaining meh. If you haven't already, try his 'Nights Dawn' trilogy instead. Much, much better, relatively slow burn whilst it gets going but well worth it, proper (in my entirely subjective and probably misinformed opinion) space-opera but this time with a far superior story.
  • Lateralaus 11 Jan 2011 13:12:10 1,092 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MetalDog He's easily my favourite author. I love his crime novels too and I've read the straw men trilogy twice (Even though the 3rd book is a bit shite in all honesty)
  • Onny 30 Mar 2011 10:50:59 5,695 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hello!

I've just finished Hyperion, which I loved. About to start Fall of Hyperion, and I was just wondering if Endymion and Rise of Endymion were worthwhile too?

(Feeling the sting of Ringworld, where Ringworld 1 + 2 were great, but Ringworld 3 seemed to only concern itself with alien sex habits)
  • glaeken 30 Mar 2011 11:12:20 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed Endymion and the Rise of Endymion. They are not quite as good as the Hyperion books overall but as stories that take place in the same universe they are still good and knowing the background in the Hyperion books gives the stories a nice back ground setting.

I certainly did not think they were as big a drop in quality in comparison to Ringworld and its latter sequels.
  • Onny 30 Mar 2011 11:57:38 5,695 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well that's a relief - thanks. I may take a short break after Fall of Hyperion, and come back fresh to Endymion.
  • Asrill 30 Mar 2011 12:15:46 398 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Hello!

I've just finished Hyperion, which I loved.

I listened to Hyperion on audiobook but the readers were fucking terrible, really spoilt the story :(

Currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Good so far!
  • spamdangled 30 Mar 2011 12:19:54 31,803 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know it's not Sci-Fi (unless you count steampunk dystopia), but the Bas-Lag trilogy by China Mieville is brilliant - Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council.

Also, the Ravenor Omnibus by Dan Abnett is great, even if you're not a WH40k nerd.
  • DocX 30 Mar 2011 12:20:25 1,963 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

A Coleridge expert, Brendan Doyle, is recruited in 1983 to attend a lecture. But this lecture will be given by Coleridge, in 1810. Of course, time travel never goes well, and it goes wrong almost constantly for pretty much everyone from then on, with an ancient Egyptian religion, magic, an evil body-swapping werewolf bastard, and secret organisations getting in on the action.

Rather good.

Try his book On Stranger Tides, and don't let the fact the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie is based on it put you off. It's a cracking yarn.
  • ModishNouns 30 Mar 2011 12:23:46 4,986 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jon Courtney Grimwood is excellent. From the old school cyberpunkery of Red Robe through the more tech thriller / alternate history of Stamping Butterflies.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2013 02:25:58
    I read Mockingbird by Walter Tevis a few months back and what a book.

A few more I'd recommend:

11/22/63 - Stephen King

Strangers - Dean Koontz

Robopocalypse - Daniel H Wilson
    There's a character in this book called Takeo Nomura. A brilliant brilliant character.
  • MrWorf 17 Mar 2014 11:26:00 63,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Has anybody read the Giants series by Hogan? Any good?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_series
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Mar 2014 11:46:23 7,573 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They have an interesting premise and I've been considering picking up the first one for a while, however I'm put off by an attempt at reading another one of Hogan's novels, which I found to be quite poorly written.

Also somewhat deterred by the fact he was an AIDS and holocaust denying nutjob.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2014 12:59:33
    https://forbiddenplanet.com/78606-hardware-art-of-chris-foss-special-edition-hardcover/?affid=FossArt

in the post, excited to flip through it
  • Deleted user 31 March 2014 13:16:05
    his book covers were one of the reasons I first started reading Sci-Fi, walking past that section of a book store and seeing them fired my imagination

i stumbled across his work after reading about some 'artist' stealing it a while ago, so did some googling

as an aside, I just saw this on the verge: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/27/5554126/jodorowskys-dune-interview-greatest-sci-fi-film-never-made

Edited by El_MUERkO at 13:20:57 31-03-2014
  • PearOfAnguish 1 May 2014 15:04:22 7,573 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Echopraxia by Peter Watts, the sequel to Blindsight, is being released in August.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2014 15:57:15
    I recommend The Sparrow and it's sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russell.

They're about first contact with Aliens but it's with a twist.
  • Oh-Bollox 7 May 2014 23:36:35 6,513 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Echopraxia by Peter Watts, the sequel to Blindsight, is being released in August.
    Get the fuck in. About time.
  • BinaryBob101 2 May 2020 13:46:07 27,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of a necro-bump, but if anybody loves a bit of Michael Marshall Smith - Only Forward, Spares and other good stuff - then I interviewed him last night here:

He emailed me later to let me know how much he enjoyed our hour together, a genuinely nice guy, no bullshit and it was a pleasure working with him towards last night and for his first live podcast, I thought he was great value.

I'm a massive fanboy, honestly I was anxious AF. I'm hoping he'll be back again in a few weeks.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 13:48:09 02-05-2020
  • wuntyate 2 May 2020 14:38:52 14,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw that on my yt list, kept meaning to ask you about that. I'm going to listen later but I'm a big fan of MM
  • cov 2 May 2020 17:53:58 2,269 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kudos on the interview, great writer
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.