Following EG's best moggie. KNEEL BEFORE MOG. My house smells of cat piss. Page 60

• ChiefGB 15 Jul 2019 23:14:39 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry to hear that, cats are pretty resilient though.
    I’ve not had a great couple of months with 2 of mine.

One I was on my way to bed one night about 6 weeks ago and I found her on my landing really struggling for breath and struggling in general and having drooled quite badly all over the carpet (enough that the area around her head was soaked). This was around 1am and obviously pretty traumatic and between my wife and myself we sat up with her all night, I was expecting her to go at any minute. Bailey survived the night but wouldn’t eat or drink much for days and was not at her best. We kept her on very close observation but I didn’t choose to take her to the vets as she’s 18 and I thought the anxiety may tip her over the edge, she has had cystitis on a few occasions and the vets told us that she may have had the start of reduced kidney function some time ago now.
    We Spent a lot of time over the next few days nudging her to drink at least to keep her going and she was so lethargic so we fed her all sorts of naughty things just to get her to eat, tuna, ham, chicken. She started to get better after nearly a week and touch wood she’s been about as good as can be expected for her age since.

So whilst we have been expecting her to possibly be the next we lost, we received some rough news.

My wife woke up two weeks ago to seven missed calls on her phone from during the night, odd I thought but we didn’t know the number.
    My wife was in the garden and decided to call it back, after some confusing back and forth the person on the other line said “oh it’s about your missing dog” it’s turned out it was from a service that my wife had started for one of our cats, my boy herbie. “We don’t have a dog” my wife said getting more confused. They proceeded to tell her that herbie had been found by someone down our road and that he had been hit by a car the night before and was deceased.

You can imagine the reaction and I upstairs hearing my wife screaming in anguish (but not really hearing what was going on) just knew when she called out to me.

We were told he was still by the roadside so obviously we went straight out to get our baby boy back, we found him by the roadside where someone had covered him with a suit carrier. I just fell to my knees when I saw him, it hurt so much to see him there (thankfully perfect but no longer here) I carried him home and we took him to the vets.
    I went to work that home just numb from it all and it was only the next day or so from all the routines, habits and reminders that it really started to hit home.

I still miss him so much (tearing up writing this) and the house is not the same without him. We have 3 cats in all and the youngest misses him too, I just know it. She’s barely in like she’s looking for him.

We’ve all been here and everyday gets easier, but it hurts like hell at the beginning.

Anyway just realise I’ve written an essay. Maybe, I guess I started by trying to say they can surprise you when you least expect it, obviously 16 is a great age, but it’s not necessarily over yet you just may need to work hard at getting her to find the strength to fight back. That and don’t take the little buggers for granted as you never know when it may be the last time you feel their love....... :’(
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jul 2019 00:22:04 14,876 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated if we lost Tifa. i think she'll come through this one but facing up to the fact she might have a kittenish face but time is finally catching up with her.

Has had some tuna today but ignored her regular food. Has mainly been drinking water from her bowl which we don't often see her doing. Has needed lifting on and off the sofa but that she's even interested enough to ask is a huge improvement.

The neighbour has just got a real bruiser of a cat who has started sitting on our yard wall so I think between that and illnesses it's time to make the old girl a full time house cat. If it comes finding her will be awful but so much worse if she were to disappear onto the allotments or onto the farm over the back field to find somewhere quiet and never return.
  • ChiefGB 16 Jul 2019 07:52:15 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, glad to hear of improvements. Bailey was really weak and unsteady for several days and wasn’t coming up to us for fuss or sitting in sofa as usual. we have started feeding her Sheba and purina pate tins, probably a bit rich but seemed to get her appetite back try them in your supermarket. She may need something special to get her back on food. Elder cats are a bit frail anyway by then so mine weighs almost nothing, don’t over force her but we did have to keep prompting her to eat. Also she was drinking like a fish after a couple of days.
  • DamoVotf 16 Jul 2019 12:28:23 1,465 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry to hear that @ChiefGB, we went through something similar about a month and a half ago.

We had 2 rescue cats for the past 18 months, and Im not a cat person, but watching those who have been mistreated go from not moving from under a bed to being super comfortable around the house has been incredible. Anyway one was a feral kitten who was completely reliant on the other a big ginger call Rufus, who could be incredibly grumpy but was very lovely.

He had been sick a year ago with Pancritis, and about a month and a half ago, we noticed he was eating less but he had just started going outside, so we assumed someone else was feeding him. After a week he has stopped eating anything from his food bowl, but would eat cooked chicken and on the Friday night I noticed he was just completely wiped out. Told my wife and we asked the vet, they said bring him in, Vet felt his liver and said he could feel it which he shouldnt, sent to the local animal hospital they scanned him and said he had internal bleeding. Had to move him to the Royal Animal Hospital in Potters Bar, where he got a dog blood transfusion while they did tests.

Poor boy had cancer in his liver which was untreatable, so we had to put him to sleep on a Monday evening. From that Friday to Monday is one of the worst weekends of my life, he was just so unlucky at 4.5 years old but im content with the fact he really enjoyed his 18 months with us.

Oh you should be very careful if your cat doesnt eat, after 2-3 days their stomachs start to create acids that are very harmful to them, so you should definitely bring them to the Vet at that point, I have no idea whether its if they eat zero or just small bits.

On the bright side we now have 2 kittens, and now just struggling to get the feral cat who has replaced Rufus with my wife to come out from under the bed and meet them.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jul 2019 16:21:08 14,876 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mrs Maybe took Tifa to the animal hospital this morning. The issue they've diagnosed this time as being a complication from previously unrecognised arthitis.

Essentially she's been injured and gone to hide and lost her appetite and entered the cat spiral of not eating so becoming weak and that weakness further suppressing her appetite making her weaker still.

Got a big bag of medicine and we've positioned stools and cushions and boxes so that she can reach her favourite places without needing to jump anywhere.
  • ChiefGB 16 Jul 2019 18:44:35 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reminds me of the last cat we lost “jake” he was 17 and was previously a bit of a bruiser. Anyway he started having trouble getting up the stairs and stopped jumping so we built a ramp of sorts so he could still get on the bed at night. That and I used to carry him up and down the stairs when I could.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jul 2019 21:22:21 14,876 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    She's always been a bit timid when it comes to jumping about but I think looking back on it she's probably been undiagnosed arthritic for awhile. She hasn't jumped up onto anything higher than a sofa or a bed in a long time and even then it can be a scramble sometimes.

Baby proofing at the same time as a creating a series a climbable surfaces to make the house old cat accessible should be an interesting challenge.
  • Lukus 23 Sep 2019 19:50:49 23,687 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My parents' cats are prettier than your parents' cats. Prove me wrong.
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Sep 2019 19:58:08 13,166 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They look like haughty cunts to be fair.

Excellent photography there though.
  • Lukus 23 Sep 2019 19:59:58 23,687 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha, I'm glad that come though. They are hard work compared to all the other cats the family has ever had!
  • ChiefGB 23 Sep 2019 20:01:24 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    They look like haughty cunts to be fair.
    This just sums up cats in general though. 🤣
  • Salaman 24 Sep 2019 08:26:22 23,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Awesome pictures! Weird looking cats.
  • Lukus 24 Sep 2019 10:33:27 23,687 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha, I think they're very pretty. Terrible personalities*, but very pretty.

*relative to other cats the family has had, still nice though
  • You-can-call-me-kal 24 Sep 2019 12:45:48 20,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I’d call them handsome rather than pretty.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2019 13:32:27
    Post deleted
  • Lukus 24 Sep 2019 13:40:24 23,687 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I think I’d call them handsome rather than pretty.
    They're sexy OK.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 24 Sep 2019 14:05:17 20,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Re the posts above about poorly cats, I do worry sometimes about ours’ eating. She used to eat literally anything and would go crazy for cooked salmon, or chicken as a treat. These days she’ll literally only eat dried food. She eats plenty so I’m not too concerned but i do find it surprising she won’t eat nice fish as she used to go crazy for it.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2019 17:25:39 95,995 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My 2 went off wet food too and will now only eat dry. I discovered the Pets at Home dry stuff which has a high meat content and is pretty reasonable compared to the branded stuff like James Wellbeloved.

One of mine either has a flea allergy (despite being defleaed every month and no evidence of any in the house) or is mad as a box of frogs. Lots of overgrooming and gnawing. He's a pain in the arse
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Sep 2019 18:51:12 10,892 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dry food is fine so long as they're drinking enough. Mine has dry food but won't drink out of anything other than a running tap because he's a FUCKING CUNT
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 Sep 2019 18:57:58 13,166 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Orange will only drink out of pint glasses which he also likes to knock over. The utter twatbastard.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2019 19:05:12 95,995 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Small ramekin bowls of water sorted that out. But it does mean that you have to fill them up all the sodding time.
  • Lukus 24 Sep 2019 21:33:18 23,687 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Those ones above drink so much water, it's crazy. And if you have a glass of water out they'll try and help themselves to that too.

One of them tried to jump through a mirror I'd moved earlier, onto the bed in the reflection, the fucking idiot. It was funny but I felt bad.
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Sep 2019 22:23:45 10,892 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, mine won't drink from anything other than a running tap. I get the survival instinct (?) about not wanting to drink stagnant water but it's always fresh in his untouched bowls and the FUCKING CUNT doesn't want to drink from his expensive water fountain I bought him
  • Rogueywon 24 Sep 2019 22:40:53 9,484 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I remember when we had to withold water from our old cat for a while ahead of an operation she needed. Found her perched on the toilet seat, with her head down in the bowl lapping away.

Simultaneously horrible and hilarious.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2019 22:45:13
    One of our cats hadn't had wet food for a few years after a gastric issue but we have some tuna pouches left that we want to get rid of so we fed one to him the other week. He loved it. He then vomited the whole lot up an hour or two later. Ungrateful cunt.
  • spurslol 24 Sep 2019 23:01:26 493 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    My parents' cats are prettier than your parents' cats. Prove me wrong.
    Is that a fucking proboscis monkey?
  • Salaman 5 Nov 2019 09:24:11 23,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We nearly killed our cat this morning.
    This weekend, she was lying on the bed at night and the Mrs. felt something on her arm managed to pinch it between her fingers and found she was holding a flea.

We spent the whole weekend vacuuming, running 20 loads of laundry and spraying stuff. Yesterday we went to pick up a canister that spreads a toxic fume around your house to kill off fleas and flea eggs or larvae.

We went room to room, spraying the needed amount of seconds for the size of the room and then closing the door. When we finished upstairs, we got downstairs and realized the cat was nowhere to be found. We went back upstairs and found her hiding under the bed in one of the bedrooms full of toxic bugspray fumes.

She's spending the day outside but I hope she didn't inhale too much for her size. She must've been in there a good 5 minutes. :/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 10:06:41 14,876 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh man, hope she's getting some good fresh air in her.

Ours fell down the stairs this morning and has a very awkward slightly twisted/wriggly limp with her back end. We don't know if she fell because of her arthritis or got a claw stuck but she'd been excitedly running ahead of Mrs Maybe downstairs toward the kitchen and tumbled two thirds the way down.

She's eaten and hasn't hidden since it happened which are positives but she's not got over it like a younger cat might.
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Nov 2019 11:32:05 2,255 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Our cats have often had fleas, we back on to some really scuzzy lanes which are sky high in shite and detritus and Christ knows what else, one of our cats in particular has always been far worse than the other for fleas and she seems to travel further afield and is forever rolling in some shite or other compared to the other one, having used Spot On regularly for years we did a bit of googling and found an alternative, Advantage, it’s been brilliant and their coats have never felt softer and all fleas have gone. Just hope the fleas don’t become immune to this one too.
  • Salaman 5 Nov 2019 11:42:25 23,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We went to a local garden centre on Sunday to buy some spray to treat the cats favourite lounging spots. They have a vet practise adjacent and Surprisingly, it was open on Sunday. We got 1 treatment of Advantage from them and returned the spot-on we had found in the pet section at the garden centre.

We'll be giving her one of these every few months now to avoid having to spend days doing laundry again in the future. I'd give her a flee collar but she's 7 years old and never worn a collar. I tried to give her one when she was 3 and it lasted 5 minutes. :-/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.