Following EG's best moggie. KNEEL BEFORE MOG. My house smells of cat piss. Page 61

• freddymercurystwin 5 Nov 2019 12:13:18 2,255 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I tried to get my last cat to wear a flea collar but she sometimes came home with one front leg inside it, presumably trying to extract herself from it. Then one day when she was wearing a collar she disappeared for about 3 days which she had never done before or since, she finally turned up absolutely scared shitless and a little thinner (minus the collar) and refused to leave my side for about a week. Weirdly a few days later I found the collar as tatty as fuck in the gutter, I dont really know if the collar had anything to do with her disappearance but vowed to avoid collars from then onwards.
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Nov 2019 12:16:05 2,255 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Salaman Did you have to pay the vet for a prescription or did they do like an over the counter free prescription? We got ours from Pet's at Home who did a little prescription thing on the shop floor.
  • ZuluHero 5 Nov 2019 12:18:05 9,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A similar thing happened with my cat. She'd lose her collar and I would find it trampled on the path behind my house.

Pretty sure she'd lose it scrambling up the wall which is higher than me and covered in bushes, but I could never be sure.

If you ever put collars on cats, please make sure they are easy release, as cats can hang themselves on branches, if they get caught and can't free themselves.
  • ChiefGB 5 Nov 2019 12:31:27 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just an update from the top of the last page, sadly our eldest passed away around 3 weeks now. She was struggling to go to the toilet and my wife took her to the vets. It turned out she had a large tumour that had taken one of her kidneys and part of her liver the poor mite 😔
    Obviously when faced with that news we didnt opt to bring her home. I was at work so didnt get a chance to say goodbye but I knew a clock was ticking somewhere for her I feel bad about not taking her earlier but she got really stressed going to the vets in the past and still seemed really happy everyday and she was well pampered throughout her last weeks. In my own way I had already said goodbye several times over.

Now we have just the one who having lost her two family members recently was very withdrawn and depressed for a week or so, now shes come right out of her shell and wont shut the fuck up.

We are on the lookout for 2 new kitties as the house is too quiet these days 😔
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Nov 2019 12:42:21 2,255 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB That sucks, I guess we've all been there or will be at some stage.

Incidentally I listened to this the other day, a little insight into domestic cats, nothing you couldn't find out on Google but quite interesting nonetheless; https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csyp5d
  • Derblington 5 Nov 2019 14:30:50 34,075 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of mine is a noisy little cow. Drives me nuts.
    The other is chill and just trills in conversation.
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 14:49:11 424 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ChiefGB Sorry for your loss. :<

Mine is generally quiet unless he wants something when he just goes meow crazy and you can hear him throughout the whole house. I much prefer him purring when he's having a cuddle even though it does sound like someone over-revving a DuCATi. :D

Wouldn't be without the little blighter though even if he did decide to claw my face at 6.30 this morning just so he could go down to inspect his bowl then decide he wanted to go back upstairs and sleep on my warm pillow.
  • Salaman 6 Nov 2019 08:45:52 23,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin No, this was an over the counter. Cost us 6 Euro I think for a 1 month one.
    We'll be going back next month to get one for 3 months.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 09:20:00 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mrs Maybe and the cat have just left for the animal hospital :(

I'm home looking after the baby waiting for the news.

Tifa's limp is no better but after doing a normal poo last night she's done two bloody ones this morning and has spend the last three hours going back and forth to the litter trying to wee. Some of the litter is damp but I don't think she's actually going on this mornings trips. She's obviously more badly hurt than she let on. Even with her limp and timidity last night she hadn't tried to hide so we assumed it was painful or awkward but not too serious.

She's such an old cat with her existing issues. Mrs Maybe thinks that this might be it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2019 09:24:40 13,166 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sorry :(
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 09:30:39 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks man.

As signs go when we rang them when they opened at 830 they said come straight in rather than offering an appointment or recommending the clinic. And to the hospital two towns over not their vet surgery in the village.
  • freddymercurystwin 6 Nov 2019 10:41:22 2,255 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's not sounding good, sorry to hear that.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Nov 2019 10:45:56 20,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Makes me sad 😞. Hope kitty is ok.
  • retro74 6 Nov 2019 11:35:25 3,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Must be a bad time of year for cat ailments as mine is in cat hospital too :(

Hes been in since Monday morning but Im hopeful hell be back home before the end of the week
  • ChiefGB 6 Nov 2019 12:44:59 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe oh no, I hope its all ok, you never know. Cats are amazingly strong animals though and seem to have a fairly high tolerance for pain. I does sound similar to the one I lost recently, not the limp though but occasional bloody stools and then the not being able to wee.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 13:04:54 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    She's been loaded up with painkillers and brought back home.

Vet couldn't identify any damage to her back or hips and has told us to keep watch on her toileting while giving her more painkillers over the next couple of days.

She also has to be confined to one room with as few opportunities for climbing as possible for at least a week, ideally longer.

We've had to evict the baby back into our room and give her his room as nowhere else is really suitable.

She's curled up in a dosed up haze at the moment under the radiator.
  • Lukus 6 Nov 2019 13:17:09 23,687 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bless her, I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
  • Derblington 6 Nov 2019 13:35:36 34,075 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They're surprisingly tough, even at older age. Hopefully the drugs do their thing and she, literally, walks it off.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 13:46:53 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    At the moment her arse is almost walking parallel with her shoulders
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 13:52:32 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Relatedly, I usually buy woodchip pellet litter from a place in the village in 30 or 40 litre bags. Today they say that there is a shortage of wood litter and no one can get any "because of the power stations".

Had to go and get a straw/wood blend from the equine suppliers up the road. Next best alternative apparently.

Hopefully the cat is into it because it was a while quid extra. 9 for 30L. Outrageous.

Who knew cat arses and the national grid were in competition?!

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 13:54:54 06-11-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jul 2020 10:34:39 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After three similar incidents since I last posted here the poor old girl is now in a really bad way.

Her arthritis is playing up which means reduced mobility on her back legs and cant lift her tail. Shes still bright and alert but the probably is as she cant pick her tail up shes covered in piss and has started going on the floor to avoid her tail dragging in the litter.

She goes months of being fine between incidents but this time rather than one day were on day three - and this is the first time the pissing has been an issue.

Shes at an age where every trip to the vet is a potential end but it really does feel like shes on the way out sooner rather than later now.
  • ChiefGB 18 Jul 2020 10:50:02 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know its all borrowed time after a while but, if shes currently not on any medication maybe the vet can give her some to ease her pain/enable her to move a bit more?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jul 2020 11:59:56 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think that might be the case. Were slightly dreading a return to the vets in case theres something scarier going on
  • Gunzberg 19 Aug 2020 22:16:49 2,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of our kittens knows how to use the toilet but still uses every chance to pee into our bedding. It's always the bedding of my wife and she is getting so annoyed she is thinking of getting rid of it (which would break the heart of our other kitten).

The problem kitten is actually quite clever but grew up a bit wild on farm/forest without being inside, cuddled a lot or toilet trained. We've had her for a month, smothered her in love which she appreciates and toilet trained her for big and small jobs. Still, as soon as we accidentally leave the bedroom door open she loves to sprint in there and pee all over my wife's bedding.

Help!!
  • fontgeeksogood 19 Aug 2020 22:31:46 10,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    She's likely still smelling her previous piss. Try using enzyme based spray cleaner on the bedding and surrounding area where it was before
  • gillgrissom 19 Aug 2020 22:31:59 300 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Gunzberg The cat will keep on doing it, it can smell what you cannot and its marked its place.
    It will have seeped through on to the actual mattress and the smell to it will stay for ever. once a cat as scented a place thats it, will keep doing it not matter the place or how much you clean..
  • dfunked09 20 Aug 2020 00:16:42 517 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Post deleted
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Aug 2020 00:50:51 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Update on the Maybe Mog.

Shes lost the use of her tail so pisses on it regularly but a combination of painkillers (for her bad joints) and puppy training pads (to catch the piss that misses her tray) means she can live a mostly normal elderly house cat life again.

She even tolerated Baby Maybe now although he has tried stamping on her more than once which is currently our nightmare scenario.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Aug 2020 00:55:59 14,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Gunzberg I think there are scent neutralisers you can get, not just normal household cleaners. That might work. Otherwise itll just be a case of eternal vigilance.
  • Gunzberg 20 Aug 2020 11:55:31 2,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This sounds like the situation is to live with her constantly trying to pee in the bedding out of tradition 😲

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.