CSS solve-me-do Page 5

• Deleted user 17 September 2010 12:43:46
    Anyone know much about Wordpress? I want to place the associate images at the bottom of this page next to each other, what would be the best way of doing this?
  • DaM 22 Sep 2010 20:38:45 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Anyone know much about Wordpress? I want to place the associate images at the bottom of this page next to each other, what would be the best way of doing this?

I take it you've solved this?!

My turn!

This is doing my head in, IE8 (and probably the rest) problem only, fine in everything else (not tried Safari...).
    IT'S VERY SLIGHTLY NSFW IF YOU DON'T WORK FOR ANN SUMMERS!.

Original working css is by one of our own (waves!) but I've wrapped it round a ecommerce platform (JShop) and broken it. It's only on the home page....should be obvious, but I just can't see it, and it's beginning to piss me off as I need the site live soon!
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 20:40:54
    Yeah, was editing the front post in the wp HTML editor and pressing return after each anchor which put everything down a line for some reason. WP quirks I suppose
  • DaM 22 Sep 2010 20:49:03 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It was maybe sticking in a para tag. Damn, my problem has got bottom-of-last-page-itis :(
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 20:54:32
    Yeah, wasn't showing in the HTML editor. Sorry can't help with you issue
  • DaM 22 Sep 2010 21:21:39 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's a nice WP skinning Crispy. You need to make a favicon of the round bit in the logo!
  • DaM 24 Sep 2010 12:52:39 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bump! Any takers?

DaM wrote:

My turn!

This is doing my head in, IE8 (and probably the rest) problem only, fine in everything else (not tried Safari...).

Original working css is by one of our own (waves!) but I've wrapped it round a ecommerce platform (JShop) and broken it. It's only on the home page....should be obvious, but I just can't see it, and it's beginning to piss me off as I need the site live soon!
  • Deleted user 24 September 2010 13:18:27
    DaM wrote:
    That's a nice WP skinning Crispy. You need to make a favicon of the round bit in the logo!
    It's not mine, just a customised theme.

I'm looking into Wordpress theme design, makes my head hurt :(
  • DaM 29 Sep 2010 10:50:47 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Bump! Any takers?

DaM wrote:

My turn!

Solved my own issue....a comment at the top of the page was making IE throw a wobbly! Fucking IE!!!
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 20:19:56
    BUMP.

Can the CSS experts take a look at this page.

You see the 4 columns of text. Does anyone know a way to make all three hyperlinks in each column act as one instead of appearing like 3 different links.
  • craigy Staff 20 Apr 2011 20:49:10 9,442 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try this:

box3:hover a { color: #CCCCCC; cursor: hand; }

Should make it look like all the links in the box look active, when actually only one is
  • MMMarmite 20 Apr 2011 20:57:49 1,594 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or wrap one link around 3 separate spans to define the separate styles, if they are all meant to link to the same place (you'll need to fix the style inheritance though).
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 21:29:33
    Craigy - tried that but for some reason the colour change just isn't applying.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 21:31:53
    Wait. I've solved it. I just needed to remove the colour setting from the font span and instead apply it to my box names. Thanks guys. :)
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 21:35:31
    Oh and Craigy it's cursor: pointer; not hand. :D
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 21:37:05
    Now I just need to figure out why when you resize the window, if you go too small the background moves separately to the content boxes. :S
  • Jeepers 20 May 2011 10:39:45 16,576 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Morning.

I've not coded any HTML since TRs and n.gifs were your best bet for layout, so bear with me.

I want to display and animate some text using CSS. The text would be something like:

I like cats

The word cats should fade out and be replaced with the following words:

dogs
    cakes
    ciggies
    wine

Each word should fade in, stay for a couple of seconds before fading out and being replaced by the next in the list.

Any ideas for a simple method of achieving this? I get that I can fade in and out fairly simply, but how can I replaces "cats" with each of the words in my list?

I'm thick at coding :(
  • sport 20 May 2011 10:47:23 14,977 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd imagine using something like jquery with a simple fade plugin to limit the coding on your part.
  • AcidSnake 20 May 2011 10:51:58 8,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure if it's doable in just CSS...You might need to add some javascript...
  • magicpanda 20 May 2011 14:03:37 14,844 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah JQuery is yo bitch for this.
  • askew 20 May 2011 14:06:53 19,077 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Might not even need jQuery? Could invoke CSS transitions/animations with Javascript when the word is to be replaced.

/cutting edge
  • Deleted user 25 May 2011 12:22:23
    Got a nightmare-ish request from someone I'm doing some work for.

See this page.

The client wants the black bars at the top and botom to be 100% horizontal - which is fine and already done. The bottom bar should also be always fixed to the bottom of the browser.

But they also want the grey bar on the left to be 100% vertical - even though this means loads of surrounding white space.

I can't get this to work for the life of me.

Is it even possible?
  • Deleted user 25 May 2011 12:27:41
    Oh and the grey bar needs to be fixed to the very left edge of the browser too, which shouldn't be too much a problem.

I didn't design it, so don't worry about telling me how shit it looks.
  • AcidSnake 25 May 2011 13:07:18 8,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Am I right in understanding they want the lower black bar fixed to the bottom of the browser window instead of the page?...What for?...

Anyway, my advice for the gray bar would be to copy the very last line of pixels and put a new div with the slim pixel line as background and copy the menu div into that, aligned at the top...That way no matter the height it will expand without whitespace...
  • Deleted user 25 May 2011 13:25:17
    AcidSnake - their logic makes no sense to me and the way I've done it already would be my preferred way.

Your suggestion sounds perfect. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2011 14:33:49
    OK, got it working 99% perfectly. Just need to now stop the footer bar from overlapping the main content if the browser size shrinks. Any ideas? (same url as above)
  • AcidSnake 25 May 2011 14:42:17 8,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Remove the absolute...

Best bet would be removing the absolute and giving the main_container a min-height...

You could also try to use "fixed" to align it to the browser window, but you'd have to calculate the height appropriately...
  • Deleted user 31 May 2011 12:23:13
    Can people check this page for me and let me know if they experience any problems.

I've tried it on 3 machines on IE, FF and Safari and it looks fine to me. I know that if you reduce the browser size by too much the footer overlaps everything but the client is reporting that the header and footer are missing and that there's a business card shaped square at the top. :S

If anyone does have any issues, can you send a screengrab to my username at gmail.
  • ModishNouns 31 May 2011 12:26:00 4,986 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks fine for me. Windows 7, Chrome 11.0.696.71
  • AcidSnake 31 May 2011 13:16:43 8,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm...Running IE6 in a VM and it gives me that error I believe...Can't take a screenshot though...
    Looks to have some difficulty with transparent backgrounds, filling it with light blue squares...

It does it around the menu items as well...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.