Center Parcs Page 2

• captain_markyboy 23 Jan 2016 09:54:27 853 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Yeah thats the thing with these getaways...you can have exactly the same experience abroad with better weather for the same or cheaper price.
    Yep. I'd go to center parcs if it was half the price, but I'm not paying silly money for what is essentially butlins on steroids. In the woods. 😄 They even charge you extra to take your dog, the robbing Gits!
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2016 09:57:02 14,838 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, it depends on the deal you get. And Woburn is a two hour drive, not a four hour flight.
  • DaM 23 Jan 2016 10:03:51 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    captain_markyboy wrote:
    They even charge you extra to take your dog, the robbing Gits!
    And they then get arsey when you take it in the pool - it's paid!!!
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2016 10:07:38 14,838 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D
  • captain_markyboy 23 Jan 2016 10:11:02 853 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Again, it depends on the deal you get. And Woburn is a two hour drive, not a four hour flight.
    4 hours for a private villa, sunshine, not living in a glorified shed, plus no chavs. Think I'll put up with the extra few hours travel.....
  • Rusty_M 23 Jan 2016 10:20:07 7,007 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm going for the first time in just over a week. I forget the name of the place, but it's the one in Cumbria.
  • Dougs 23 Jan 2016 10:26:21 89,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Depends on the age of the kids too. Villas abroad are easier for older kids but younger kids like the activities and structure that Butlins or CP offer. And travelling with my kids is a pain, so an hour or so down the road is ace.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2016 10:33:23
    Dougs wrote:
    Depends on the age of the kids too. Villas abroad are easier for older kids but younger kids like the activities and structure that Butlins or CP offer. And travelling with my kids is a pain, so an hour or so down the road is ace.
    We won't go abroad again until our kids are a bit older. Last time was hell on earth. The airport, flight, weather etc. It was the opposite of holiday for my wife and I lol.
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2016 10:45:48 14,838 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captain_markyboy wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    4 hours for a private villa, sunshine, not living in a glorified shed, plus no chavs. Think I'll put up with the extra few hours travel.....
    Hey I love going abroad, don't get me wrong! Had a lovely week in a villa in Croatia just last summer. But for four nights in Feb this suits us just fine. Second nipper due in April so it's a last little jaunt as the three of us.

Edited by monkman76 at 10:46:16 23-01-2016
  • brokenkey 23 Jan 2016 13:05:26 10,239 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pro center parcs tip: De Kempervennen

Edited by brokenkey at 13:06:48 23-01-2016
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2016 19:17:03 29,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Can also recommend Sandy Balls (snigger) in the New Forest, lovely place. But you can't go wrong at any of them really, especially for the kids.

http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/
    This never cease to amaze me. How on earth can British people in Britain decide to name their park Sandy Balls?

Am I oversensitive because English is my second language and I'm more nervous about saying something that makes me sound like a fool?

Sandy balls... Never in a million years would I suggest that as a name for a holiday resort.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2016 19:18:56
    I love Center Parcs.
  • JoeBlade 24 Jan 2016 21:39:37 4,442 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka I am genuinely laughing out loud now. Sandy Balls!

One of my ongoing games at the moment is The Stick of Truth and, well, it could just as well be one of the spell powers in that game.

Sandy Balls! :D
  • JoeBlade 24 Jan 2016 21:42:04 4,442 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    'Listen Douchebag, if there is one thing worse than farting on your enemies' balls it is... giving them Sandy Balls!'

Sorry, I can't let it go :D
  • docrob 24 Jan 2016 23:30:08 1,193 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stayed in one a few years back. I felt as if I'd been locked up in a prison camp. Went round whistling the tune from The Great Escape.

It was a big family thing (wife's family). I was the only one who felt this way though - everyone else seemed to like it.

I would have objected less if everything were included in the exorbitant price, but everything apart from the pool was extra. I found this particularly shameless, and I wasn't even the one paying.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 06:56:44
    The best parts are included in the price - the woodlands where no bugger goes! I spend most of the day running around there on lovely smooth Tarmac with no cars, then the evenings I spend having a barbecue in the woods outside the 'villa'.

Like all British holiday camps, the bits you want to avoid are the bits where all the cunt kids go. I had a weekend in a caravan at Great Yarmouth in September, EVERYONE was crammed into the humid, loud swimming pool yet just over the sand dunes, literally less than a hundred yards from the park was the fantastic sandy beach. That's where I spent my time, just me and the friends I went with dog.
  • Dougs 25 Jan 2016 07:11:34 89,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep. Although I was slightly disappointed with the cycling trails, I have to go out of the complex and into the wider forest. And if you want a few hills on the road to get up, they don't like you to use the roads and divert you up the boardwalks. But I guess they are trying to cater for all. It's the clean air and peace and quiet that I love. No choice but to go where the screaming kids are but even then it's big enough to deal with (and I'm kind of used to that).
  • JuanKerr 25 Jan 2016 08:22:33 37,710 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was really disappointed with Center Parcs - not only was it ludicrously expensive, it just felt like a cheap resort with the usual shitty chain places slapped in the middle of a dull pine plantation.

I much preferred Featherdown Farms - the accommodation is more like a posh campsite, but it's much nicer than the shitty villas you get at Center Pacs. Plus, it's great for kids and there's not thousands of other people there.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 09:19:01
    I guess it comes down to what you're after. I like it I think because it kinda reminds me of home, my dad had a log cabin up in the woods north of Vancouver and it reminds me a bit of that, the utterly middle class safety but imagining life as Hugh Glass
  • JuanKerr 25 Jan 2016 09:25:58 37,710 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It just felt like a missed opportunity - the lodges in the forest are okay, but the 'village' or whatever they call it was shit. Crappy pub, Costa coffee, wanky restaurants, felt like a motorway service station.

I'd rather go camping in the woods and save myself a grand :)
  • Dougs 25 Jan 2016 09:30:43 89,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the flipside, I was a bit disappointed by Featherdown. Admittedly, I didn't do the whole experience, just met some friends who were staying in one - It was OK, but my kids need a bit more structure than what is on offer on the farms, especially my son. He loves the outdoors but has a very short attention-span!

And you're right about the village, but that's why we do pretty much everything self-catering. Except maybe a few sun-downers before kids' bedtime.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 09:32:14
    Oh yeah, those bits in the middle are always full of cunts. But I guess they're catering for what their punters want, one of my friends family go on holiday to Spain and scope out where KFC, Pizza Hut etc are before choosing accommodation. Fair enough, I guess, but they're missing out on some amazing STREET FOOD
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 09:33:48
    Booze is very expensive at Center Parcs. I understand they don't want pissed adults racing down the rapids in the swimming pool at 10PM, but that's their fault for not searching the back of my car
  • -Amelia 25 Jan 2016 09:46:25 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The price of centre parcs is what keeps it nice. Keeps the scum out.

I can't speak for the visitors to other sites but I've been to the longleat one four times in six years in January and it has always been a lovely visits with pretty much zero chav families.

I go because it is easier than a full foreign holiday in January. Just pack a few thongs in the car and drive for under two hours and stay in a nice cabin in the forest.

Plus the way it is set up the kids probably enjoy it even more than a holiday in the med.
  • JuanKerr 25 Jan 2016 09:48:00 37,710 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually liked the lack of structure at Featherdown, made it feel more like a proper camping holiday except with somewhere nice to kip (but I understand what you mean).

The one we stayed at in Somerset was in an absolutely gorgeous setting - certainly more attractive than a shitty old pine plantation ;)
  • JuanKerr 25 Jan 2016 09:50:25 37,710 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kichi wrote:
    The price of centre parcs is what keeps it nice. Keeps the scum out.
    Really? I saw plenty of knuckle draggers when I went.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 09:50:48
    Center Parcs is always rammed full of scum or what I had understood to be 'chavs'.

Perhaps I'm more middle class than Kichi. Don't see many hijabs there, though
  • JuanKerr 25 Jan 2016 09:56:10 37,710 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought Centre Parcs would be far more middle class, especially considering the price of the fucking place.
  • -Amelia 25 Jan 2016 09:56:18 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Which one? Longleat? I've only gone Mon-Fri though and did notice the people arriving on fridays to be slightly more chav.

Believe me I'm very anti scum so I'd say if I saw them.

I'd never visit any other named holiday site in England as they are full of scum. I once went to one with a newspaper holiday voucher with my boyfriend of the time and we didn't last the first day. I refused to stay in the shit hole and we drove home again.
  • askew 25 Jan 2016 10:00:04 19,566 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kichi wrote:
    I go because it is easier than a full foreign holiday in January. Just pack a few thongs in the car and drive for under two hours and stay in a nice cabin in the forest.
    Can be a bit chilly for that!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.