Center Parcs Page 3

Next Last
  • DaM 25 Jan 2016 10:01:23 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's very easy Centerparcs, and I like knocking about on my bike in woods. But it is a bit Butlins in the Woods.

We've had 2 Featherdown farm weeks and loved them. The kids seemed to occupy themselves fairly well (it's easy for them to make friends if there are kids the same age), and what's not to love about a wood burning stove for heat and coffee etc. We had a wood-fired hot tub last year - took all day and a tree to get going, but it was worth it :) .

They also had a walled garden full of vegetables that we were free to pick and use. The kids love digging up tatties ("watch you don't pull the whole plant up Dad!"), and baking them in a fire. Normally they are glued to iPads, but the adapt to forest life quickly. First FDF we went to was a dairy farm near Wales - they have 2 pet lambs, which, after the farmer's wife said they would be OK out of their pen, ran around with the kids all week, in and out the tents. I think they thought they were children, they were like puppies. At one point I noticed they were standing in line, queuing for the zip slide...
  • DaM 25 Jan 2016 10:02:33 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyone tried Center Parcs in France? My sister is going this summer, reckons it's a lot cheaper. And might be less service station-like.
  • -Amelia 25 Jan 2016 10:03:18 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @askew god dammit I hate this phone! Using my old one as the new one broke.

Yeah on my January visits it is more thick jumpers, wooly hats, gloves etc and definitely buy some wood for the open fire.
  • Dougs 25 Jan 2016 10:08:35 89,929 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Pro center parcs tip: De Kempervennen
    Fucking not wrong. Just did a search for May/June HT. It's over twice the price at Longleat compared to here. And they're not looking to rip you off (eg. you can choose where you want your villa for free, not 40 fucking quid!). Am def now considering it, depends on the Eurotunnel fare I guess.
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2016 10:12:24 13,847 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I was really disappointed with Center Parcs - not only was it ludicrously expensive, it just felt like a cheap resort with the usual shitty chain places slapped in the middle of a dull pine plantation.

I much preferred Featherdown Farms - the accommodation is more like a posh campsite, but it's much nicer than the shitty villas you get at Center Pacs. Plus, it's great for kids and there's not thousands of other people there.
    You should check out forestholidays.co.uk - I said it a few pages ago but once we found these we will never go back to CP. The accommodation in particular is outstanding - large lodges with loads of space between each one.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 10:19:12
    Center Parcs memories from childhood:
    -Pool/rapids were ace
    -BMX course was fun
    -dead dead Swan near our cabin
    -Bought a Boglin from one of the shops
    -shite kids disco
  • AceGrace 25 Jan 2016 10:20:40 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Can also recommend Sandy Balls (snigger) in the New Forest, lovely place. But you can't go wrong at any of them really, especially for the kids.

http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/
    Sandy balls is excellent but not for under 5's. There isn't much to do for them really.
  • AceGrace 25 Jan 2016 10:26:12 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:
    Can also recommend Sandy Balls (snigger) in the New Forest, lovely place. But you can't go wrong at any of them really, especially for the kids.

http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/
    This never cease to amaze me. How on earth can British people in Britain decide to name their park Sandy Balls?

Am I oversensitive because English is my second language and I'm more nervous about saying something that makes me sound like a fool?

Sandy balls... Never in a million years would I suggest that as a name for a holiday resort.
    It is part of the Sandy Balls estate which has been around for decades. Probably before the word balls became funny.
  • AceGrace 25 Jan 2016 10:31:22 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old.

What we do is have half a dozen 3 night weekend breaks.

One is usually at Butlins. Leave straight after the school run and come home Sunday night. It helps that I am only 20 minutes from Bognor. :-)

The rest are usually Havens. Same drill. Leave after school run Friday and come back Sunday night. Only ever travel maximum of 2 hours by car.

Still, I live on the south cost so there are plenty of Haven's around.

It also helps that my mother in law has just bought a really nice caravan at Rockley Park Haven in Poole and we have the owners cards!!! :-)
  • brokenkey 25 Jan 2016 10:34:39 10,239 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Pro center parcs tip: De Kempervennen
    Fucking not wrong. Just did a search for May/June HT. It's over twice the price at Longleat compared to here. And they're not looking to rip you off (eg. you can choose where you want your villa for free, not 40 fucking quid!). Am def now considering it, depends on the Eurotunnel fare I guess.
    Ferry/Eurotunnel work out to be around 160.

We're going in the Easter holidays, 7 nights, and it's costing us 700 including ferry. It's about 3.5 hours drive the other once in France.

Longleat, same accommodation/dates/length of stay: 2000.

Also, a week's ski pass (at the indoor ski dome) there is 80 per person, so we treat it as a cheap ski holiday too.
  • monkman76 25 Jan 2016 10:38:32 14,838 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me Center Parcs lives or dies on how much you like the 'subtropical swimming paradise', which is after all free of charge. Fucking loved it as a kid, and I can't see any reason my little lad won't love it either.

Swimming all day plus self-catering in the villa = who cares if the rest of the place feels like a service station. Throw in a bit of woodsy bike action and you're sorted, and all for free (once you're there).

Saying all that, I haven't been since the early 90s I reckon - I could be singing a different tune in a few weeks.
  • Dougs 25 Jan 2016 10:41:49 89,929 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:

Ferry/Eurotunnel work out to be around 160.

We're going in the Easter holidays, 7 nights, and it's costing us 700 including ferry. It's about 3.5 hours drive the other once in France.

Longleat, same accommodation/dates/length of stay: 2000.

Also, a week's ski pass (at the indoor ski dome) there is 80 per person, so we treat it as a cheap ski holiday too.
    Aye, just did the sums myself. Eurotunnel was 120. Tempted by the one the other side of Paris, as it's a bit closer (my kids aren't great travellers) and the in-laws are about a 7 hour drive from there, so could easily pop up and share the cost!
  • TheSaint 25 Jan 2016 10:56:23 18,667 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As someone without kids, I had no idea these were so expensive. I always kind of assumed they were a fun cheap option but 2k for a week at Easter would get you somewhere with actual sunshine.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 10:57:14
    1,300 to avoid the French seems a good deal.

I've never gone for longer than a weekend
  • brokenkey 25 Jan 2016 11:16:43 10,239 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Zomeguy wrote:
    @TheSaint Like where? Please discount any location where your hotel is guarded by armed forces...

Oh, you don't have any kids... Nevermind.
    Did you mean to come across so harsh? Saint was only making the point that the price of school holidays is shockingly high.
  • TheSaint 25 Jan 2016 11:28:19 18,667 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zomeguy wrote:
    @TheSaint Like where? Please discount any location where your hotel is guarded by armed forces...

Oh, you don't have any kids... Nevermind.
    I hear Syria is lovely at that time of year.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2016 11:40:21
    My -1 has been carping on about going on holiday, best friend is going to the Maldives (on honeymoon). I genuinely prefer Center Parcs, there's nothing to do in the Maldives other than watch out for the tide to suddenly go out.

Edited by PES_Fanboy at 11:41:24 25-01-2016
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2016 12:59:48 13,847 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zomeguy wrote:
    @brokenkey No sorry, no harshness intended. Was just wondering about where to find an affordable "sunny" destination. The prices with 3 kids are killing me...
    Don't know your budget but we drove our own car on the Ferry to Roscoff a couple of years back (6 hour ferry ride from Plymouth). Then a two hour drive down western side of France for some great campsites. There are many but we stayed at La Pointe St. Gilles Campsite. Kids had a great 10 days in a ready-erected tent.
  • TheSaint 25 Jan 2016 13:04:27 18,667 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah back in the day we often used to go on family holidays to France / Spain or Italy with Eurocamp.

Another option would be renting a villa direct from the owners via airbnb / holidaylettings or another site like that. The reviews and filters on those sites usually help you spot the best ones and it is always going to be far cheaper than via a travel agent.
  • Tonka 25 Jan 2016 13:14:14 29,679 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sandyballs... hehehe
  • JoeBlade 26 Jan 2016 00:09:34 4,442 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Sandyballs... hehehe
    'Gremmi doesn't have sand up his vagina. He just has... Sandy Balls!'
    Unlike wrinkly's privates, it never gets old ;D

(I'm goddamn 42, kill me :/)
  • Tonka 26 Jan 2016 12:15:33 29,679 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Sandyballs... hehehe
    'Gremmi doesn't have sand up his vagina. He just has... Sandy Balls!'
    Unlike wrinkly's privates, it never gets old ;D

(I'm goddamn 42, kill me :/)
    Treasure. Trove.

LOLS
  • Rusty_M 2 Feb 2016 17:23:09 7,007 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I'm in a Center Parcs with my wife, two of her sisters and their partners. It's lovely so far. Board games, swimming, nice accommodation and our own sauna. Fantastic.
  • Youthist 2 Feb 2016 17:34:41 13,847 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Swingers heaven
  • ibenam 2 Feb 2016 17:38:33 3,212 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    So I'm in a Center Parcs with my wife, two of her sisters and their partners. It's lovely so far. Board games, swimming, nice accommodation and our own sauna. Fantastic.
    When are you looking to pull out your "How to be a racist" book :D

May work well after a game of charades and a round of profiteroles.
  • brokenkey 2 Feb 2016 18:13:54 10,239 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Naked sauna at Centre Parcs, it's the rule.
  • Rusty_M 2 Feb 2016 22:33:48 7,007 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    When are you looking to pull out your "How to be a racist" book :D

May work well after a game of charades and a round of profiteroles.
    Well we were playing Arkham Horror and I seem to remember hearing about HP Lovecraft being a bit racist, so there's no bad time really.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.