Police to drop Madeleine McCann investigation Page 3

• LionheartDJH 1 Aug 2011 10:51:56 20,299 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    Predictable responses really.

/salutes the perfect dads of Eurogamer.

Well I'm not even a dad so there you go. I don't see what the big issue is here Dolly, you think basic parenting skills = being a perfect dad? Nobody's perfect, but I would presume that the vast majority of fathers here know that it's not the best idea to leave your kids unattended.
  • Dolly 1 Aug 2011 10:58:36 3,589 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No, I'm not a friend of the McCanns. I just find it odd that after all this time, people are still so intent on deriding the parents and criticising their lengthy campaign to find their missing/dead daughter, which should really be the only point of discussion at this far-gone stage. Certain high-horse riding people obviously seem to get quite the kick out of still doing it, to go to the continued effort of conciously sitting at their computers and focusing their time on pointing out the mistake they made AGAIN and AGAIN...
  • thedaveeyres 1 Aug 2011 11:02:02 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The irony of that post is quite staggering.
  • chopsen 1 Aug 2011 11:02:33 21,045 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    well lets face it, she's more than likely dead now, and the only thing that makes this any different from other kidnapping/child disappearance is how the parents have behaved and the very unique way the media have handled them.

If you don't want to be part of a discussion, nobody is forcing you to participate.
  • Dolly 1 Aug 2011 11:18:43 3,589 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does nobody else feel that despite the staggering error of judgement (or however you want to label it) the McCanns made, that they are still only committed to finding their daughter?

They could have stopped the fund/campaign years ago and just let it slip away from the general publics memory. To make an error of that magnitude and want to stay in the public eye in order to find their kid, must at least deserve some peoples recognition or respect.

If you were the kid, I'm pretty sure you'd be thankful to have your parents still looking for you, rather than give up through others not being able to focus on anything but the circumstances that caused the abduction.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 11:20:25
    Dolly wrote:
    They could have stopped the fund/campaign years ago

But then they couldn't have gone to see the Pope on a luxury jet!
  • Dolly 1 Aug 2011 11:21:33 3,589 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Obviously the answer is no then.

Fair do's, that's just my opinion.
  • thedaveeyres 1 Aug 2011 11:23:01 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I only see one poster trying to score points here. Just leave it.
  • Youthist 1 Aug 2011 11:28:51 14,262 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was (at least until this happened) quite "common practise" on Mark Warner resorts to leave children sleeping in the accomodation and to keep going back to check on them periodically. They were 'unlucky' enough to have come across a probably paedophile which now highlights the folly of what was pretty common practise.

However you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than having your child snatched from you in those circumstances.
  • Eighthours 1 Aug 2011 11:32:02 713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    However you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than having your child snatched from you in those cirumstances.
    Given the huge amounts of money swirling around afterwards, the McCanns kinda experienced both.
  • Youthist 1 Aug 2011 11:36:07 14,262 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes, of course, they have made an absolute fortune from this - I read it in a paper.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 16:46:20
    Dot_Cottons_Buttes wrote:
    Leaving kids asleep in a hotel room really isn't that terrible a thing to do. Stealing children is not normal or common and for this one instance of it happening there will be many thousands of similar situations where nothing bad happens.

If you leave your kids alone anywhere, you're still taking a number of risks. The chances may be slim, but if they do disappear, or get hurt, or anything, its your own fault. You just don't do it.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 17:37:35
    bad09 wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    My sister and her family were away in the Canaries I think, in the height of the Maddy frenzy. Each room in the hotel had a baby monitoring thing built in, and the idea was you put your kids to bed, and went out for a meal, taking the sensor/speaker thing with you. My sister would not have used this thing anyway, but during this time there was a heightened awareness of the follies of leaving your children in their room.

But every night they got comments and complaints from other guests, mainly Germans (sorry!) for bringing their kids to dinner, almost every other table had a baby monitor thing with them.

Youthist wrote:
    It was (at least until this happened) quite "common practise" on Mark Warner resorts to leave children sleeping in the accomodation and to keep going back to check on them periodically.

REALLY? I am utterly shocked and disgusted this type of neglect (and it is neglect no matter how you swing it) not only goes in these resorts but is actually common practice. Just awful and so terribly sad. Could you imagine trying to explain to social services in the UK how you popped down the pub but thought it was alright because you got a walkie talkie and could rush back at the sound of somthing wrong.

I have no illusion of being a perfect father (I've only just done my first year at it!) but christ on a bike you are a parent and it is YOUR FUCKING JOB to look after those little ones, what utter utter cretins. Sorry but some folk just don't deserve the children they're blessed with.

/ utterly gobsmacked

+1
  • morriss 1 Aug 2011 17:48:31 71,293 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Agree with above +1. The McCann's are to blame entirely. Strange there's been so much support for their ineptitude and neglect.
  • chopsen 1 Aug 2011 17:55:22 21,045 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Strange there's been so much support for their ineptitude and neglect.

White middle class professionals, mum's a bit of a milf, missing child is white, blonde and cute.
  • urban 1 Aug 2011 18:01:55 13,098 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They trademarked the company name 12 days after she went missing.

MADELEINE'S FUND: LEAVING NO STONE UNTURNED LIMITED
    Companies House

Not a charity either mind. A profit turning Company Why they haven't been banged up for neglect or exploitation I dunno.
  • twelveways 1 Aug 2011 18:03:57 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Agree with above +1. The McCann's are to blame entirely. Strange there's been so much support for their ineptitude and neglect.

umm surely the person who took the little girl has a share of the blame? Giving someone an opportunity to abduct a child does not make it alright to do so. I am almost positive that all the support they are receiving is in fact because there is a little girl, alive or dead, who has been taken from her family and is out there somewhere undiscovered. Not for the parents mistakes.
  • morriss 1 Aug 2011 18:12:31 71,293 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So if a man drink-drives and has a crash and his child dies as a result of the accident, should the driver get International sympathy for his mistake?
  • twelveways 1 Aug 2011 18:30:09 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    its not really equatable. If the man had been drink driving with his child in the car and got home safely and then passed out without locking the door and then he didnt hear the intruder who stole his child then that would be similar.

And yes, I do believe that anybody who does not know what happened to their child or even whether it is alive or dead, safe or in pain deserves some sympathy.

Do you think that old people who open the door to strangers deserve to be robbed and beaten? Maybe you think that girls who wear skirts deseve to be raped?
  • morriss 1 Aug 2011 18:33:08 71,293 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What if he had been drink-driving, had a car accident, but it was actually the other driver's fault? Would he still garner so much sympathy even it it wasn't his fault, but he was drunk whilst behind the wheel.

That's pretty much how I see the McCann debacle.

Anyway, I don't believe she was abducted in the first place, tbh. But that's another debate for another time.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 18:43:52
    Actually it would be more akin to texting while driving (and not paying full attention) and then being struck by fucking lightning. But carry on with your shit analogies.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 18:47:22
    morriss wrote:

Honestly, think morriss beats me to 'Troll of the Year'. How are the McCanns to blame entirely?

Whilst I think they were in the wrong to leave her alone, the one to blame is the person who took her.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 18:48:16
    'ZEUS SPOTTED IN AUSTRALIA? '
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 18:51:22
    LetsGo wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Honestly, think morriss beats me to 'Troll of the Year'. How are the McCanns to blame entirely?

Whilst I think they were in the wrong to leave her alone, the one to blame is the person who took her.
    In fairness I don't see how anyone can blame the kidnapper when the girl was just sitting there for the taking. That would be folly. Wouldn't anyone snatch a little girl they saw unattended?
  • sam_spade 1 Aug 2011 18:53:54 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Schrodingers kid.

Everything about the McCanns tale doesn't really add up and I'm profoundly suspicious of their actions - even whether they checked on their kids.

It's really a middle-class white girl sympathy - if this was some loutish mum and dad in Torremelinos there would be comments about licenses for kids, home alone, and chavvy scum. But they were a well to do family who regularly went on the piss leaving their three kids (which they went through the trouble of AIS) drugged up in the bedroom.

Having kids means making sacrifices about your personal life - they chose not to, so ended up paying the ultimate price. What if she'd just fell out of bed and cracked her skull on the tiled floor of her bedroom and suffered a bleed on the brain? Would you find their actions so excusable.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2011 19:03:25
    sam_spade wrote:
    It's really a middle-class white girl sympathy - if this was some loutish mum and dad in Torremelinos there would be comments about licenses for kids, home alone, and chavvy scum. But they were a well to do family who regularly went on the piss leaving their three kids (which they went through the trouble of AIS) drugged up in the bedroom.

Yeah, what was that other one? The Shannon something or other, a big bunch of, to be frank, chavs who hid their daughter for exploitation.

Didn't work because their child was ugly! True fact.
  • Lukus 1 Aug 2011 19:05:44 23,338 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You're forgetting, paedos generally only target the sexy kids.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.