Too F*ck*ng Hot! Page 182

• Darth_Flibble 21 Jul 2021 13:19:20 5,517 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BBC weather app is saying thunderstorms at 4pm, there was thunderstorm and heavy rain yesterday. The weather would be fine if I was not working. Have ceiling fan and one of those dyson fans on and still hot. Working from the empty office tomorrow and will welcome that AC
  • Not-a-reviewer 21 Jul 2021 13:49:20 7,642 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought a portable air con about 4 years ago as our house gets ridiculously hot. Home office is currently 18c.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 13:49:38 21-07-2021
  • dfunked09 21 Jul 2021 13:52:40 2,255 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Absolutely love this weather...

When not working from home.

Think I need to invest in some garden furniture and sit outside working rather than being in the office ffs.
    Yeah, we got a table with a couple of benches recently. There isn't a decently shaded spot in my garden until around 3pm, so I've been suffering through the day with my fans pointed at the cats, cos I'm a big softie.

Still it's so bloody nice just grabbing your laptop and stepping out with a nice cool drink and finishing off the day in relative comfort.
  • Razz 21 Jul 2021 13:54:25 1,193 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah in the garden with my feet in two buckets of cold water. Nice
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2021 14:17:35 70,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    FFS guys, high 20s isn't the same as 40+ deg C.
    Lightweights. and I'm a Scottish fucking ginger.
    Stupid comment is stupid. With the right humidity and in the wrong building, 28c can feel miles fucking worse than 40c.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2021 14:22:56 31,138 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Stupid comment is stupid. With the right humidity and in the wrong building, 28c can feel miles fucking worse than 40c.
    45% humidity like you're getting in the UK does not make 30 degrees worse than over 40.
  • Cappy 21 Jul 2021 14:42:07 14,359 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The problem with warm spells in the UK is always the high humidity. For the really slow ones lets just reiterate, high humidity sabotages the cooling mechanisms of the human body. Lots of water vapour in the air impedes your own sweat evaporating and leaves you without the cooling benefit feeling really grotty and hot.

That's why UK Summers can be nastier than higher temperatures elsewhere.
  • Rogueywon 21 Jul 2021 14:43:01 12,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:

Think I need to invest in some garden furniture and sit outside working rather than being in the office ffs.
    I'm not a hot weather fan, but with my portable A/C unit, I'd rather be working from home in it than from the office. Yes, the office is air conditioned, but once the temperatures hit the high 20s, London public transport becomes vile.

London in general is just not a nice hot-weather city. I've advised American friends in the past to do their tourist visits in Spring or Autumn, as Summer can be vile here.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Jul 2021 14:44:55 17,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear it does make you an obnoxious cunt though
  • imamazed 21 Jul 2021 14:56:08 6,697 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:

I'm not a hot weather fan, but with my portable A/C unit, I'd rather be working from home in it than from the office. Yes, the office is air conditioned, but once the temperatures hit the high 20s, London public transport becomes vile.

London in general is just not a nice hot-weather city. I've advised American friends in the past to do their tourist visits in Spring or Autumn, as Summer can be vile here.
    Good lord yes. I'm not in London anymore, but in summer I used to travel 20 minutes longer on my commute to get the air-conditioned and partially overground District Line as opposed to the actual-gates-of-hell Central Line. Having moved way way out I really miss having a functioning public transport system, but I do NOT miss summer on the tube. Hell, even the buses are torture.

Still - air conditioning on the central line by, I think, 2030, by which time London will presumably be a ball of fire under the Thames.

Edited by imamazed at 14:57:00 21-07-2021
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2021 14:57:26 31,138 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:

Yep, that's true, Paris the same, wonder how much of it is due to air pollution....
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 15:03:38 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Exactly. It's all relative isn't it. All I know is I'm baking my fucking arse off and it's (only) about 21 up here. Couldn't give a shit if it's hotter elsewhere. I'm hot. Don't need someone in the devil's arsehole to fax me and say "try living in 5000 degrees".

I'm fucking hot, and miserable.

And yes, I prefer winter. Dark nights and rain. Fuck this sunlight pish. I know we need the sun but it can fuck off into space.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Jul 2021 15:08:27 17,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You tell it wunty
  • Rogueywon 21 Jul 2021 15:08:58 12,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear At least partly a pollution thing, I think. Certainly, at the end of a hot commuting day in London, I can feel a layer of grime on my skin in a way that I can't outside of a big city. For what it's worth, New Yorkers often give the same advice about not visiting in the summer.

I've been in a few cities that don't feel so bad in the summer, but one thing I've noted is that they tend to be "newer" cities than London and Paris (and New York), with generally wider streets and more open places.
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 15:17:25 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also I can't have my windows open at night because of the fucking seagulls. Fuck those guys as well.
  • Vortex808 21 Jul 2021 15:20:55 15,506 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Also I can't have my windows open at night because of the fucking seagulls. Fuck those guys as well.
    Definitely on your side with this wunty. The squawking bastards.

I'm not even on the coast FFS, we're 20-odd miles inland. Stop raking the bins out here you winged twats.

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:22:09 21-07-2021
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 15:21:24 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    You tell it wunty
    I felt I should have a rant about something. I'm not even that hot or miserable, but I feel better. Thanks everyone. See you in this thread next year.
  • Blackmarsh63 21 Jul 2021 15:22:19 4,420 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seemingly back to normal by the weekend. i.e.. cool and damp.
  • Rum_Monkey 21 Jul 2021 15:25:35 3,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And I hope you cunts are happy when it's miserable.
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 15:26:04 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would that be bunch or...
  • Rum_Monkey 21 Jul 2021 15:26:45 3,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like gaggle.
  • Technoishmatt 21 Jul 2021 15:30:09 5,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon I dunno, a lot of US cities are hella hot in summer, while Spring and Autumn have a lot going for them. And actually living there might not be as bad as visiting, because you would flit between home and office or shop where there is humidity, but as a tourist you are quite likely to do a fair bit of outside walking / sight seeing.

I lived in DC and summers are HOT. Also lived a bit in NY and downtown Manhattan is a huge heatsink - was all over long Island beach trips. And then the South can be oppressively hot. And now look at the west coast... Florida an option, but that's going to sink / crash.

Basically, as climate change hots up, summer destinations might need some adjusting!
  • SolidSCB 21 Jul 2021 15:32:31 16,630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be all for it without the humidity, but it's horrible. I've felt constantly grimy for a week straight now. Have a shower and 30 minutes later the same sweaty, sticky film is covering my whole body again.

Diet coke with loads of ice has been hitting the spot though. I'm not normally a fizzy drinks person but I've been all over it the last few days.
  • Vortex808 21 Jul 2021 15:39:22 15,506 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:

Diet coke with loads of ice has been hitting the spot though. I'm not normally a fizzy drinks person but I've been all over it the last few days.
    The 5G vaccine nanobots are turning you into Donald Trump.

Avoid ketchup with well-done steak and you might be able to regain control.

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:39:34 21-07-2021
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2021 15:39:32 70,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've cycled in 40c fairly comfortably (and survived higher still) but there's precisely zero way I'd go out in the 30c we have here right now. I'd be in serious trouble by the top of the first major hill.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2021 15:42:03 31,138 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Definitely on your side with this wunty. The squawking bastards.

I'm not even on the coast FFS, we're 20-odd miles inland. Stop raking the bins out here you winged twats.
    I can agree with that, at my dad's place, also 20-odd miles from the coast, the bastards are always there making a hell of a racket.
  • Decks 21 Jul 2021 15:43:34 30,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Legitimately always get this imagine in my head when I look in here

• Your-Mother 21 Jul 2021 15:43:41 8,025 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember visiting New Orleans for the first time in February and packing long sleeves. That was an experience. Was only around 28 but humidity was 80-90%. But a Pimms cup in the courtyard of Napoleon House made it better.
  • Rum_Monkey 21 Jul 2021 15:57:36 3,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SolidSCB Lemon Sanpellegrino is incredible with ice on days like this.
  • SolidSCB 21 Jul 2021 15:57:53 16,630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually wish I had eaten all the pies at the moment to be honest. At least then I'd have some tangible solution to stop being so pathetic when the heat kicks in.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.