Following Elite: Dangerous Page 190

• TheDarkKnight 2 Mar 2021 08:03:05 834 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been following this thread for a bit and decided to give this a go, hopefully I have the patience to get through the early stages. I played a bit of EVE back in the day, is there any similarities?
  • triarii 2 Mar 2021 09:28:10 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Deano can add you guys to the private group but if not, add me and I will.

GT: Triarii00
  • oldskooldeano 2 Mar 2021 11:07:23 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @triarii I’ve added spindle9988 and Barchetta to my FL but it does look like only the group owner can invite them to the group.
  • oldskooldeano 2 Mar 2021 11:10:40 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @TheDarkKnight not really. Of course they are both in space but elite is a more hands on solo experience in the main, whereas eve as you know is more MMO like. Elite is more shared galaxy. Think freelancer or ermmm original elite!
  • triarii 2 Mar 2021 12:20:28 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, I'll try to get everyone added this evening.
  • spindle9988 2 Mar 2021 13:40:38 5,218 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’ve had a couple of hours this morning and have been using edbb for source missions (thanks to boo).

I keep jumping out of light speed right in front of a sun for some reason, which is dancing my ship quite a bit. Does anyone know what this keeps happening? Or am I just having bad luck?
  • oldskooldeano 2 Mar 2021 13:51:41 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @spindle9988 it always drops you out of a jump right in front of the star. Super cruise assist will stop you automatically but just being aware of it and throttling down or just steering towards your next jump immediately will avoid problems.
  • boo 2 Mar 2021 19:24:07 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyone got any tips on how to carry out salvage missions?

I've done a few, and there seems to be a whole bunch of randomness involved, which doesn't sound right.

First one I did, I arrived in the designated system, and as soon as I turned up, I got a message telling me where to look, and had the location highlighted in blue on the Nav panel. Found the stuff, piece of cake.

Another one made me check the Nav beacon and then, after about 5 mins of scratching my head, something finally appeared in blue on the Nav panel, but I've no idea what the trigger was.

Then last night I wasted an hour trying to find some Military Intelligence docs. All I got was 'Go to this system and scan it.'

Scan it with what? I tried the D-Scanner but that made no difference, and I still don't know the first thing about the FSS. Spent an hour chasing down any Unidentified Signal Sources I could find, but eventually gave up.

That all seems too random to me - I reckon there's a method, but I just don't know what it is. Can anyone clue me in?

Ta!
  • TheDarkKnight 2 Mar 2021 22:28:52 834 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn, time disappears while you play this game! I cruised to a system, I think I got too close to a star and my ship overheated. I don't know if I did the right thing but I turned off some modules and then noticed I just needed to point myself at the escape vector. This game does a great job of making you feel like you're living this.
  • spindle9988 3 Mar 2021 01:39:59 5,218 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @boo
    I might be wrong as I haven’t got the game running at the moment.
    I think there is a scanner that fires projectiles onto the planet that act as scanners.
    I bought these scanners as a sort of mistake but ended up scanning some random planets with them.
    As you know, I’m proper new so could be wrong.
  • triarii 3 Mar 2021 09:17:32 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Added Spindle & Barchetta to the private group last night. Let me know if you can't get in.

@boo
    For your first question, normally you drop out at the nav beacon, find the nav beacon in contacts and then your sensors scan it automatically when you get close enough...
  • oldskooldeano 3 Mar 2021 09:46:00 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @boo what tri says is right. Find the Nav Beacon in your navigation panel, target it, fly to it and drop out of supercruise. Then target the beacon in your contacts fly towards it and when in range the mission info will update. Using the FSS on all the signals in the system will also reveal the location but it might take a while to find it.

Using the FSS is a skill in itself. You probably will need to map the functionality to your controller, adaptive zoom and so on. I think this is because it was a later addition to elite and doesn’t have default controls assigned to it.The FSS will categorise all those ‘unidentifiied signals’ as well as give detailed information on all the planets and their mineral deposits and geological features which can be good exploration fun. After a while you recognise what sort of signal it might be by its location on the scanner. They are thing like floating salvage, combat, etc
    Sometimes an object is on a planets surface. There may be a vague search area which will update as you fly towards it.
  • boo 3 Mar 2021 10:14:28 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks all.

Yeah, I scanned the Nav beacon but that didn't help. Maybe just a bit of a glitch.
    I've done a few of the planetary scan missions, where the search area jumps about, but last time I did, the local defences blew me to bits so I've been a bit wary of doing that again.

I'm loving the mining thang. Well on my way to my first 100m CR, but I think I'm going to spend a bit of time figuring out the FSS. I've watched a few videos now and I think it's starting to make sense.

Seems like most of this game. You just have to immerse yourself in it, and gradually more and more of it starts to become clear.

Great fun though - best thing I've played in a long while.
  • barchetta 4 Mar 2021 10:10:34 3,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Thanks for the invite @Triarii

Had an interesting few hours on this last night. I was surprised to find I had played this ages ago as I had a ship in dock with a couple of upgrades - a lowly sidewinder with 50k. Not great but I just wanted to start to learn the UI again. Ran a few trading passes then thought I’d mess around with the FSS. Reminded me of an old mini game - was it ME2?

Found some stuff, thought it best to avoid the laser for traces and instead found a distress signal. Was an NPC who had no fuel. Located and pull up right alongside, then spent 10 mins trying to work out how to donate some fuel before reading on the web re: fuel limpets. Damn.

Since there was nothing to do about that, I thought I’d ‘improve my rating’... with a lowly beam and pulse laser combo it took too long and before I could chalk up the kill, I was unceremoniously dumped into space by a local security ship.

This is going to need some hours isn’t it!

Edited by barchetta at 10:11:54 04-03-2021
  • boo 5 Mar 2021 01:10:47 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Quick question.

I may need to pick up some Meta-Alloy if I want to go and see Felicity Farseer, but apparently need to go to the Maia system to buy it, and having plotted the route it's a mere 61 jumps from my current location.

I've got a fuel scoop, but is there any way of checking the plotted route to ensure that none of the jumps are beyond my ship's capability, or would the NavCom not plot a route that the ship couldn't do?

Just don't want to find myself a bazillion miles from home and then have to turn back because a jump is just beyond my reach.
  • triarii 5 Mar 2021 09:32:49 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @boo
    I think plotting route only gives you a route that you can complete.

I had the same issue a while back. I ended up finding a fleet carrier, in whatever system FF is in, called META ALLOYS SOLD HERE or something equally brilliant. Anyway, it did sell meta alloys at an insane mark (1mil CR each or thereabouts) & I did buy some there because I couldn't be bothered doing 120 jumps to Maia and back!

Edited by triarii at 10:32:44 05-03-2021
  • oldskooldeano 5 Mar 2021 10:16:08 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @boo when you plot a route in the galactic map there is an option to change from ‘economical routes’ (default) to ‘fastest routes’. If you do this you find the number of jumps is reduced but do watch yourself or you will be calling those fuel rats again!
  • Zyrr 5 Mar 2021 11:02:34 525 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jumped back into this last night for the first time in about 18 months or so. Decided (unwisely) to take the battle-Conda out bounty hunting, and picked a fight with an elite Ferdy that proceeded to melt my ship with thermals. I couldn't even remember what button I'd assigned to heat sinks.

End result: 15 million credit rebuy.

Ah well. Back to the Cutter tonight for some leisurely haulage runs for this week's community goal. I should be able to manage that! :)
  • boo 5 Mar 2021 14:37:53 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cheers guys. Might mooch over to Felicity's neck of the woods first then. It's still a bit of a trek, but even if I get ripped off for the Meta Alloy, the cartographic data should cover the cost and a bit besides.
  • boo 8 Mar 2021 00:25:01 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Crikey. Just had to go to Darnielle's Progress in Maia to get some Meta Alloy, so I can go and see the Engineer, Felicity Farseer.

64 jumps!

That did not improve Mrs Boo's view that 'All you do in this game is fly about.'
  • MacReadysChessWizard 8 Mar 2021 09:14:21 109 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @boo

Yeah - my missus refers to it as Eddie Stobart In Space.
  • oldskooldeano 8 Mar 2021 10:21:11 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @boo my daughter refers to it as: “that game where you mine.”
  • GloatingSwine 8 Mar 2021 10:47:27 3,912 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MacReadysChessWizard wrote:
    @boo

Yeah - my missus refers to it as Eddie Stobart In Space.
    There's a reason my Type 9 is called "Stobart's Revenge"
  • boo 12 Mar 2021 10:51:13 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Question. If I've got a blueprint from an Engineer, can I use that on any ship I own, or just the ship that I was in when I picked it up?
  • alt-cmd-esc 12 Mar 2021 12:12:40 660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @boo any ship :)
  • oldskooldeano 12 Mar 2021 12:20:55 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @boo yeah pin the blueprint (you can pin one per engineer) and then you can remotely engineer any ship you are in at a port. Once you level up an engineer to level 3 access you can also apply an experimental effect to the said module to further tweak it but you will need to return to the engineer to do that. Engineering can really boost your gameplay
  • KD 12 Mar 2021 12:23:52 3,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Story stuff is happening, seems a rarity.

• triarii 12 Mar 2021 12:43:57 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @KD

I was in Achenar last night evacuating people from Dawes Hub, it was pretty impressive, and great for farming REP. However, I seem to have encountered a bug where landing pad display numbers don't appear so I have to spend ages flying around inside the hub looking for the right pad. This led to several fines which means you can't pick up evacuees & you can't pay the fine in the station because Contacts is disabled...

And that's not all! I got wedged in the mail slot on the way in but couldn't exit the game for 20 seconds because I was in danger, so that was my Python destroyed, another fine, a 7 million CR rebuy and a trip back from a prison ship 7 jumps away : (
  • Gruff 12 Mar 2021 12:44:43 3,832 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This story will probably feed into the new content coming soon.

Thanks to this thread back into Elite, pottering about doing my thang, poorly :)
  • KD 12 Mar 2021 14:07:12 3,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I became exclusive cruise liner pilot to the criminals on Robino Mines, simple no hassle flying perfect for vr while using the Dolphin.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.