Next Last
  • boo 13 Apr 2021 21:47:05 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ah! Ok - cheers!
  • boo 25 Apr 2021 10:37:37 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not got anywhere with the exploring yet - I think I need to better understand the scanning aspect of the game before I disappear off on some bazillion lightyear jaunt. So the AspEx is just sitting there gathering dust in the hanger.

Actually. That raises a question. I've always assumed that when you go off exploring, that the aim is to reach uncharted areas of space. Which suggests no stations / outposts. You can get round the fuel issue with a fuel scoop, but what do you do when you log off? Just leave the ship drifting in space? Land on a planet? Even in solo mode, there's still the threat of an NPC coming across your ship, although I guess the galaxy's a big place.

Instead, have been spending my time in the Type-9. Triarii was right about the handling - it's like an elephant on mogadon! Might be a cop-out to use an advanced docking computer, but there's no way I'd want to try manhandling that through the entry/exit gate.

Avoiding interdictions is impossible, but I remain unlooted thus far, thanks to being able to dispatch a fighter with NPC Holly at the controls. She's bagged a couple of kills, one with the help of the Security services, which got us a bounty, and in every other case the bogie has bugged out.

She's earned over 2m credits, which seems like a lot, but I figure if I'd lost even a portion of my cargo from one of my runs, it would have been considerably worse than that, so I'll keep her on the payroll. She's 'Mostly Harmless', so she's only (only!) taking 4%.

I'm wondering about kitting it out as a mining ship. 600+ tonnes of platinum would make a nice haul, though it would take hours!
  • boo 25 Apr 2021 10:37:38 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Stupid double post!

Edited by boo at 16:07:45 25-04-2021
  • TechnoHippy 25 Apr 2021 14:55:38 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    When you log off the ship disappears from the universe, but returns when you log back in.

Exploration can be a good earner if you invest the time, but not in the same league as the other trades. However I loved the peace and joy of discovering new planets and trying to reach isolated systems.
  • boo 25 Apr 2021 17:40:17 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks for the tip. I had visions of logging out, then logging back in to find a smoking ruin where my ship used to be.

I shall devote a bit of time to figuring out how the FSS works and then go on a jaunt out into the black to see what I can find. I believe that Frontier reckon only 5% of the discoverable galaxy has been... discovered. Still leaves a bit to find!
  • MasterOfSpin 25 Apr 2021 19:03:19 70 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Are the new features and FPS elements going to be rolled out on the console versions?
  • MasterOfSpin 25 Apr 2021 19:03:22 70 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Post deleted
  • the-m-show12020 25 Apr 2021 19:26:04 7 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @MasterOfSpin FDev have recently said that Autumn Console release is still on schedule
  • IRWATWO 25 Apr 2021 22:38:41 1,162 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @boo

Much lower, far less than 1%.

You'll find undiscovered systems only a few dozen jumps out I'm sure. Big fuel scoop, dont need much shield, don't fly into any suns, beyond that it's just a case of picking a direction :)
  • IRWATWO 25 Apr 2021 22:40:00 1,162 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Man fights ship -

https://youtu.be/NfpeLhs_LPU
  • triarii 26 Apr 2021 09:12:54 462 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    Man fights ship -

https://youtu.be/NfpeLhs_LPU
    That was pretty cool, I could see small ships with cannons/missile packs being quite effective in that scenario. I wonder if FD are planning any AA weapons...
  • GloatingSwine 26 Apr 2021 12:43:59 3,912 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    @boo

Much lower, far less than 1%.

You'll find undiscovered systems only a few dozen jumps out I'm sure. Big fuel scoop, dont need much shield, don't fly into any suns, beyond that it's just a case of picking a direction :)
    As of February 2019, 0.036% of the galaxy was explored.

It really isn't hard to find unexplored systems, though corewards you'll need to travel further because of the colonia highway and tourists going to Sagittarius A*. (You should go there though).

Exploring is pretty zen, you'll spend a lot of time jumping and fiddling with the FSS scanner.
  • GloatingSwine 26 Apr 2021 22:20:11 3,912 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In other news, I have fully engineered another NPC stomping bounty hunter ship, an Alliance Chieftain.

My fleet is currently thus:

Krait Phantom. Dedicated long range explorer: https://s.orbis.zone/echg It will be getting one of the newfangled experimental FSDs when I can be bothered. Might get a Lightweight Plasma Slug Railgun, and Mining Laser in future so that it can go full self sufficiency.

Imperial Courier. Sppeeeeeed!: https://s.orbis.zone/echm Needs its shield boosters actually engineering up to G5, but otherwise finished. Can hit maximum speed with full armament and shields.

Imperial Clipper. This is my day to day bubble bus: https://s.orbis.zone/echr Has the experimental FSD so actually has about 3LY more jump range.

Imperial Cutter. Mining ship for High or Haz-Res overlaps: https://s.orbis.zone/echs

Federal Corvette. Ultimate pirate stomper: https://s.orbis.zone/echw Can just move into a Res or compromised Nav and live there forever. Actually needs its hull re-engineering to heavy duty and an extra thermal resist reinforcement, will be even beefier that way around.

Alliance Chieftain. Less ultimate but still fun pirate stomper. https://s.orbis.zone/echz Beefy but not much shield. Can be refitted without much work to AX duty.

Type-9. Powerplay delivery truck: https://s.orbis.zone/ech_ Built with the hope of surviving player interdicts (I can reliably beat any NPC even in this). I am no good at surviving players though and you can never beat them in interdict.

Orca. Alternative long range explorer/long range passenger liner: https://s.orbis.zone/eci1 Another candidate for the experimental FSD. One day long range passenger missions might not be terrible, but until then the Orca flies real nice in Supercruise so it's fun to explore in and it has the 4th best max jump range.

Edited by GloatingSwine at 22:21:20 26-04-2021
  • Zyrr 26 Apr 2021 22:32:04 525 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent just over 18 months exploring without returning to the bubble. In that time, I made the obligatory visit to Sagittarius A* and explored some of the furthermost systems both above and below the galactic plane. Exploring is by far my favourite thing to do in this game. However, I've never been so nervous playing as the time I eventually returned to civilisation and was extremely concerned I was going to get attacked before I had the opportunity to sell all my exploration data!

On another note, I've been playing the Odyssey Alpha on and off. There are some really interesting ideas in there, as well as some pretty disappointing missed opportunities. When I get more time I'll try to write a bit more.

Edited by Zyrr at 22:32:56 26-04-2021
  • GloatingSwine 26 Apr 2021 22:40:53 3,912 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zyrr wrote:
    I spent just over 18 months exploring without returning to the bubble. In that time, I made the obligatory visit to Sagittarius A* and explored some of the furthermost systems both above and below the galactic plane. Exploring is by far my favourite thing to do in this game. However, I've never been so nervous playing as the time I eventually returned to civilisation and was extremely concerned I was going to get attacked before I had the opportunity to sell all my exploration data!
    Just don't try and sell your exploration data in Deciat in Open, and jump elsewhere as soon as you see a hollow square.

NPCs won't attack if you don't have cargo, even if they interdict you (and you don't trivially beat the interdict).

I spent a chunk of time living out in Colonia where I would zoom off in a direction for a time and then go back and sell at Jacques.
  • boo 30 Apr 2021 15:56:13 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Any tips on beefing up shielding?

I've been trucking around in the Type-9 which is as good at avoiding interdictions as I am at quantum mechanics. My NPC piloted SLF has allowed me to survive most encounters (or at least last long enough for the authorities to arrive and take care of matters), but despite having two shield boosters and (iirc) A rated shields, most enemies take them apart like they're made of tissue paper.

Any engineering solutions that might help? I've only visited Felicity Farseer so far, but I'll try and track someone else down if they can beef up the battlements.
  • the-m-show12020 30 Apr 2021 16:48:02 7 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @boo I'd recommend getting all the engineers unlocked as your main priority.
    This guide helped me out a bit:
    https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/guides/engineering-unlock
  • boo 30 Apr 2021 18:11:21 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Exellent! Thanks for that - I'll have a read.
  • Anthony_UK 1 May 2021 02:34:36 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dipped my toe in over the years, but while not bouncing off it, I've just not had the time or dedication I feel the game needs.

Question though those enjoying the exploration, is there enough variety? do you come across anything genuinely suprising or unique? Or is it a case of travelling to similar systems, doing a quick scan before moving on?

Edited by Anthony_UK at 11:30:20 01-05-2021
  • boo 1 May 2021 08:39:30 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    /pays attention
    I have the same questions as @Anthony_UK
    Is it just flying for flying's sake? (And the cash, obvs)
  • Zyrr 1 May 2021 12:08:18 525 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As an amateur astronomy hobbyist, I find the attempt to provide a level of accuracy to a 1:1 reproduction of our galaxy pretty fascinating. At the minute, that mainly includes finding particularly active pulsars, black holes or (the utterly terrifying) double binary systems (where a pair of stars orbiting each other are *also* orbiting a similar pair - dropping into a system to be surprised with 4 stars surrounding you and your heat levels rapidly ascending is pretty scary and the reason why I also pack heat sinks on an exploration vessel). Other interesting anomalies include very high or low gravity planets, or planets with interesting geography (I once found a small, barren rock that had a huuuge flat-topped mountain that was visible from orbit. Of course I absolutely had to land on the top and Evil Knieveled it off the side with an SRV).

BUT, the new planetary geology engine in Odyssey is way more advanced and interesting than what we have in the game currently. Atmospheric worlds have basic flora, too. If you want the best experience for exploration, I'd wait until Odyssey is live, upgrade the exploration suit, and start roaming then. There's a whole new exploration rank for scanning flora and taking samples, too. I've sunk quite a few hours into the alpha just landing on interesting looking planets and wandering about on foot. It changes the feel of exploration considerably and makes you feel incredibly tiny.

Edited by Zyrr at 12:12:03 01-05-2021
  • GloatingSwine 1 May 2021 22:50:48 3,912 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's a couple of things to do in exploring.

You can just randomly wander and see what you find.

You can try and fill in your codex, finding all the different sort of space thingies. Exotic star types, interesting rocks, clouds of Space Stuff, and so on (in each of the segments of the galaxy as well).

Or you can try to get to the most inaccessible, inhospitable places possible. (There's even one you can get into but can't get out of unless a fleet carrier comes to rescue you, and was completely impossible to escape before they were introduced. It's known as the Anaconda's Graveyard).
  • boo 6 May 2021 14:55:38 13,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyone got the Guardian FSD?

I've just upgraded the shielding on my Type-9 to MilSpec and that's reduced the jump range considerably, and I read that the Guardian upgrade / electrickery can help salvage some of that range.

But it sounds like a bad 90's adventure game to get it. "Go here and give such and such this, but first you've got to get it from there, and you can only get that if you've got the widget of Mongdor, and you can't get that until you've given the wizard the key, etc etc."

Is it worth the hassle?
  • GloatingSwine 6 May 2021 19:47:22 3,912 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes. The Guardian FSD Booster is really good on any ship you want to go long range with. It gives you a flat increase to your jump range based on the size you fit.

The three guardian modules worth unlocking are the FSD Booster, Module Reinforcement, and Shield Reinforcement.

The rest are pretty much always worse than engineered normal stuff.

I've reengineered my long range ship. Using the new experimental FSD and added some mass back in with a 5D Enhanced Low Power Shield and 5D Dirty/Drag Thrusters. Still gone from 67.5 to 71 Light Years though.

Raws are looking a little depleted though. Going to head back out to Crystal Shards to fill up.

Edited by GloatingSwine at 19:58:09 06-05-2021
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.