Barcelona recommendations

First Previous
  • Deleted user 4 August 2008 22:13:14
    Aside from hairy Spanish women, what else is there to do in the capital aside from the usual?

Any bars, music venues, interesting generally unknown sites not worth missing that won't have my pocket picked or give me aids?
  • Angel_Treats 4 Aug 2008 22:16:40 11,070 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Zoo
    Aquarium
    Get the train to Salou and go on the rollercoasters in Port Aventura
    Shops
    Sagrada Familia (big Gaudi thing that I always thought was a cathedral but apparently isn't)
  • deem 4 Aug 2008 22:24:51 31,664 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bar Marsella is an absolute must, very studenty, very grungy, very dirty - they haven't dusted for probably 30 years, and it almost looks like its fake! They pretty much only serve Absinthe. AMazing place.

Caribbean Club, purely because it's a cool little ld school bar, thats virtually impossible to find.

You HAVE to have a Dry Martini in, um, Dry Martini, and a Gimlet in, um, Gimlet is also a must, as it's pretty much the stable drink of Barcelona.

La Vinya Del Senyor is worth a drop in, for a glass of wine and some bread, and Tirsa serve fantastic drinks if you're in that neck of the woods.

You absolutely must go to Bar Marsella though. It's one of the most Bizarre places I've been.
  • mothercruncher 4 Aug 2008 22:25:03 16,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, when I was there in about 2004 the women were FUCKING GORGEOUS.

The Fish market on the Ramblas is mental. Funky little cable cars that go up to the olympic hill are ace (if creaky). The Picaso museum is fantastic, as is the Miro museum and the Neu Camp was HUGE.

Lots of funky little bars at night where they seemed to measure shots by holding the bottle upside down and over your glass while having a conversation with their mate, checking the time and gazing out of the window before stopping it pour. Great fun.
  • Trowel 4 Aug 2008 22:31:28 22,626 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Weird, I've just spent the last hour looking for hotels and football tickets for my trip next month.

Anyone been to an Espanyol game at the Olympic stadium? It's the derby v Barca on my birthday... \o/
  • Deleted user 4 August 2008 22:40:05
    I've deffo noted the Absinthe place.

As a side note, I know the women are FUCKING GORGEOUS, because I'm going to visit two of my best female mates whilst I'm over there. \o/
  • Deleted user 4 August 2008 22:55:30
    Be careful on Le Rambles, whilst it is good most of the shop are the same, don't go down any back streets (they lead to some dodgy places with a lot of druggies and alcoholics hanging about, beware of all the paki shops, they will not stop hassling you till you buy something and if you don't buy they are really obnoxious.

It's just a case of being streetwise and not all people are, but you should enjoy it.

The Cathedral there is fucking awesome, although remains unfinished and this adds to its charm, i think it was Gaudi who designed, he was a fantastic underfunded eccentric genius

.......oh and go to the Nou Camp because its a great stadium and the Docks are brilliant for veiws if you get up high on the hills (take a camera)
  • captaineurogamer 4 Aug 2008 23:01:21 4,309 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • captaineurogamer 4 Aug 2008 23:01:55 4,309 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you like Football visiting Nou camp must be a delight.
  • Nasty 4 Aug 2008 23:05:58 4,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Avoid the toilets in the Catalunya underground train station at all costs. It is like entering a giant festering shit.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2008 23:09:59
    Kind of like the Worlds End, Camden then?
  • DaisyD 4 Aug 2008 23:10:56 11,816 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I second going to the Sagrada familia. I'd also suggest the Casa Mila - another amazing Gaudi site with storm trooper like statues (or orcs depending on how you see them) on the roof. We actually walked between the two too.
  • DaisyD 4 Aug 2008 23:14:03 11,816 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:

Sagrada Familia (big Gaudi thing that I always thought was a cathedral but apparently isn't)
    It is a church though, so same difference I guess.
  • Merlinho 4 Aug 2008 23:24:43 5,908 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Angel_Treats wrote:

It is a church though, so same difference I guess.

Except that Barcelona has a cathedral in the old quarter, so asking someone for directions there would put you in a totally different place.

Watch out for the naked man wandering around the city in the middle of the day, quite disturbing!

Parc Guell was very good, Nou Camp good but commercial, I preferred the Bernabeu. I went to Olympic Stadium but not during a game unfortunately, it strangely seemed to be infested by cats...
  • daithi90 4 Aug 2008 23:51:30 3,275 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dali Museum, Gaudi's church, the harbour and there's are a LOT of strip joints!

And erotica museum!
  • deem 4 Aug 2008 23:51:54 31,664 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    bobmar360 wrote:
    don't go down any back streets (they lead to some dodgy places with a lot of druggies and alcoholics hanging about, beware of all the paki shops, they will not stop hassling you till you buy something and if you don't buy they are really obnoxious.

Avoid the backstreets? Are you insane?

Oh, woah. Did you just say 'Paki' shop?

/checks date of thread
  • Deleted user 4 August 2008 23:59:02
    Eek. Careful, now.

Thanks guys. I'm not going until September but I'm learnin' Spanish and taking notes in anticipation of my 10 days of freedom.
  • daithi90 5 Aug 2008 00:05:03 3,275 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:
    bobmar360 wrote:
    don't go down any back streets (they lead to some dodgy places with a lot of druggies and alcoholics hanging about, beware of all the paki shops, they will not stop hassling you till you buy something and if you don't buy they are really obnoxious.

/checks date of thread

I noticed this too! Thought only kids were still at that level of ignorance!
  • Miata 5 Aug 2008 15:36:38 229 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can highly recommend La Flauta as it's one of the best places to eat in Barcelona for around 25 per person. They have an amazing array of very thin & crusty sandwiches, some great tapas and excellent 'Crema Catalan'.
    For a very good tapa-bar, you could try finding El Tropezon, but it's buried deep in the old city and quite hard to find. I think their address is Calle Regomir 26.
    For the international student crowd, you might want to check out the Ovella Negra, just off the Ramblas. It's the gathering place for most of the foreign students living in Barcelona.

Edit: spelling
  • afghan_jones 5 Aug 2008 15:39:57 3,040 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i recommend you go to a strip club called 'showgirls' on La Ramblas.
  • magicpanda 5 Aug 2008 15:45:12 14,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right at the back of the fish market on La Ramblas is a little vegetarian stall run by some Iraqis. Best food I had the entire time I was there and Im not even a vegetarian.

Nou Camp is a must even if you don't like footy that much, It's an impressive place.
  • yupyup 5 Aug 2008 15:56:48 3,701 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    deem wrote:
    bobmar360 wrote:

/checks date of thread

Not totally sure, but some Americans use the term 'paki stores' for off licences and the like. From packaging store or something?

Anyway, back on topic. I would reccomend the Attic restaurant on the Ramblas. Looks a bit iffy from the street but it's a fantastic spot, one of the best meals I ever had and it was cheap.
  • mothercruncher 5 Aug 2008 21:15:10 16,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Um, no- if they use that word it's because they're bigoted too.
  • GreatWhiteLee 6 Aug 2008 10:49:36 179 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    can anybody recommend any decent and reasonably priced hotels in Barcelona? am going for the first time with the girlfriend in febrauary, but so far not looked into any accomodation.
  • Trowel 13 Aug 2008 22:46:32 22,626 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This bike tour looks fun, decent price too.

I've been using the Guardian's I've Been There site for tips, mostly good sounding bars and the like.

This site gives a good idea of hotel locations and ballpark prices in the Gothic Quarter which is where we're looking to stay - probably cheaper to book through another site of course, but a good start.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2008 10:49:40
    Many thanks everyone. I'll be online for a bit then disappearing soon! I'll take all your recommendations to heart. Thanks y'all.
  • smoothpete 4 Sep 2008 10:54:08 35,899 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm off there next week too, we were already planning to go to Bar Marsella (I'm going to die there, I know it). Good tips duly noted
  • Deleted user 4 September 2008 10:59:38
    I'm gonna DEFINITELY go there. My mate went to check it out a couple of weeks ago and she's very excited about going!

I'll be the white dude with glasses slumped over the nearest chair with a very bored Spanish friend staring into the middle distance.
  • smoothpete 4 Sep 2008 11:02:07 35,899 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll be the handsome shaven headed bloke chatting up your Spanish friend ;)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.