Barcelona recommendations Page 2

• Merlinho 4 Sep 2008 11:04:32 5,908 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have a cracking time, one of my favourite cities in the world, hopefully there'll still be some summer there as well!
  • Stickman 4 Sep 2008 11:13:27 29,986 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Enjoy your time in the capital of Spain.

Barcelona.

You've got to go to the Nou Camp, El Xampanyet and Parc Guell.
  • Triggerhappytel 4 Sep 2008 11:18:57 2,696 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think anyone's mentioned Monserrat; a monastary in the mountains a 40-odd minute train ride out of the city. Really nice place, although I wouldn't recommend it if you suffer from bad vertigo, as the cable car ride up there is pretty dizzying. It's extremely easy to get there though; just a straight ride outside of the city, with regular trains there and back.

I can't think of anything else which people haven't mentioned. We went to a big port museum, although I don't remember the name. Sagrada Familia was nice, but it's a shame there is perpetual construction work taking place. You literally must go to the top if you visit there, though. It's something stupid like 800 steps high. The Gaudi Museum was excellent though; really unique and beautiful.

Anyway, have a great time. It's a lovely city.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2008 09:01:50
    I'm back, kids! Was a good journey, so thanks for the recommndations. I made it to Monserrat too - which is completely crazy and reminded me, geekily enough, of being in a Myst game when I reached the top. Really not recommended for those with vertigo though, as THT says.

Didn't quite make it everywhere (for some reason never did make it to Bar Marsella, despite walking past it several times with friends declaring we would). However ate like a king most of the time (thus spending shitloads), saw most of the sites - Montjuic, Guell, Sagrada Familia, Passeig De Gracia, Catalan's slightly scary national day replete with human towers - look up castellers, shitloads of grafiti, Dali's Meuseu Teatru in Firgueres, Girona... didn't make the aquarium though. Sigh.

Thanks again!
  • Deleted user 16 September 2008 09:28:03
    go up the hills by the docks - the view is great and the gardens are nice there too just chill
  • smoothpete 16 Sep 2008 09:33:54 35,903 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm back too. Did more or less the same as you SJH, we couldn't find Marsela for love nor money though. Did you climb to the highest bit at Monserrat? It was fucking spectacular
  • yupyup 16 Sep 2008 09:35:06 3,701 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did *anyone* go to the Attic on the Ramblas? It's a fantastic restaurant!
  • Deleted user 16 September 2008 09:55:05
    I didn't make it all the way to Saint Jeroni, just most of the way. Did perilously walk around Saint Joan though! Bar Marsella was towards Poble Sec near Parallel. It's really innocuous.

Gracia is the place to go for eating, I found. Closer to Las Ramblas or Barceloneta (save for one bar which was recommended to us) the shitter the food gets, although I'm sure Attic is great.
  • smoothpete 16 Sep 2008 10:42:53 35,903 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I didn't make it all the way to Saint Jeroni, just most of the way. Did perilously walk around Saint Joan though! Bar Marsella was towards Poble Sec near Parallel. It's really innocuous.
    If you went on saturday we probably passed each other on the path. Sant Jeroni was something else. Just amazing.

The funny thing to us was that everyone was taking it so seriously! All these people in hiking boots with backpacks and walking poles and litres of water and stuff, there was me and me mate dave with half a bottle of coke each doing the hike in flip flops and jeans :)
  • Deleted user 16 September 2008 11:09:21
    I went on Friday, so you trod in my footsteps part of the way! Yeah, I didn't take it all that seriously too. Just a couple of allstar trainers and a couple of waters with my jacket and bag slung around my neck. I even climbed up that staircase in Saint Joan. I'll have to make Jeroni next time.

You can see Monserrat from the airport! Crazy mountain.

Ooh, and Coldplay were awesome. I have reaffirmed faith that they're good and the last album isn't that bad now I listen to it post-gig. Also Albert Hammond Jr in support, classy!
  • IronGiant 5 Oct 2010 23:58:27 5,931 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can anyone advise on the best website for buying tickets in advance for the nou camp?
  • coda 6 Oct 2010 00:07:16 1,866 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When did SJH emoquit?
  • yupyup 6 Oct 2010 00:13:44 3,701 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not soon enough.
  • LionheartDJH 6 Oct 2010 00:50:06 20,294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Can anyone advise on the best website for buying tickets in advance for the nou camp?

Official site? They have an English version, and am pretty sure they'll send tickets abroad. I wouldn't trust any place other than buying directly from the club to be honest.
  • Dougs 6 Oct 2010 07:52:19 89,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:

As long as it's not a big game, you should be able to buy them on the day, at the box office. Depends who they're playing
  • PlushGraffiti 6 Oct 2010 08:10:18 124 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm lucky enough to watch most matches at Camp Nou \o/

Date/time of match is normally annouced the Monday before, depending on TV rights. Opening times of the ticket office are here. Don't buy from the chaps standing outside.

You can also buy them online at the offical Barcelona website, see link above. I think they get you to collect them from the ticket office, rather than posting. They will want to see your passport etc.

Prices are based on who Barcelona are playing, they are graded from C to A* (Real). As long as you get there reasonably early you shouldn't have a problem getting a ticket, except for that is El Classico.

Good luck!
  • THFourteen 6 Oct 2010 08:38:51 52,595 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've always wanted to live in barcelona. its in my dna
  • KayJay 6 Oct 2010 09:26:08 5,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beauitful city.
    I went a few years back and got tickets for a Barcelona game, If i remember correctly it was a mid week Champions League game.
    Unfortunatly they changed the date from a Tuesday to a wednesday so we couldnt go to the match. We did the Tour of the stadium though which was amazing.
    Instead, Real Madrid were in town to play Espanyol so we got tickets for that (company were good enough to exchange) (Oh and Becks was injured, Typical)...

Im pretty sure these were the guys we used...

Anyhow, whilst you are in town make sure you check out some of the Gaudi buildings/works...

Sagrada Família, Casa Milŕ & Casa Batlló...
    Great Place.

Great Story eh! ;)
  • LionheartDJH 6 Oct 2010 21:19:53 20,294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I've always wanted to live in barcelona. its in my dna

I bet :D
  • Vortex808 7 Oct 2010 10:51:20 13,275 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:

Boooo. Go and see espanyol instead, you glory hunter!

Edit: i should point out that i am being a bit hypocritical as i have done the nou camp tour too.

Barcelona's a cracking place to visit though.
  • LionheartDJH 7 Oct 2010 17:46:11 20,294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, do I want to see Leo Messi and David Villa or (the not-as-good-as our former) Luis Garcia and Ivan de la Pena...tough choice!

I have done the Nou Camp tour myself, not seen a game though. Impressive stadium as you would expect. Went to see the Olympic stadium aswell, that Espanyol were actually using at the time that we went there (2004). Shame I didn't get to see the Bernabeu when I went to Madrid, and contrary to the general view I actually prefer Madrid to Barcelona.
  • IronGiant 20 Jan 2011 23:34:11 5,931 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Any views on the best part of the city to stay in? Want somewhere within walking distance of some decent places for a drink etc on the evening..
  • localnotail 21 Jan 2011 09:56:39 23,072 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gothic sector is a nice place to stay. We stayed here, it was cool, cheap and friendly. Shared kitchen and bathroom but if you are not in much and eating out, do you really need frills?

Good advice already in this thread. Metro system is good, but if you are only there for a few days it's also worth getting a 2 day tourist bus pass as you can hop on and off unlimited - takes you up the Nou Camp too. Tickets often sell out on the day, we ended up paying over the odds to touts as we were slackers who didn't get round to buying them legit. If you have a day spare, head out to PortAventura on the train. Rollercoasters! \o/

There is a nice little Middle Earth bar called El Bosc de les Fades at the bottom of Las Ramblas. Good beers.
  • Alastair 21 Jan 2011 10:18:43 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    There is a nice little Middle Earth bar called El Bosc de les Fades at the bottom of Las Ramblas. Good beers.

Is it frequented by hobbits who sing songs and dance on the tables, then get spooked by a dark, shady figure in the corner. Later, the front door gets smashed in by a chap in a black cloak, riding a black stallion?
  • localnotail 21 Jan 2011 10:26:40 23,072 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, that's the Prancing Pony in Bree, silly. They don't serve Nazgűl in El Bosc de les Fades - I think they might be a bit racist.
  • Alastair 21 Jan 2011 10:30:08 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So, what makes it a 'Middle Earth bar' then? It's not a term I am familiar with.
  • localnotail 21 Jan 2011 11:35:45 23,072 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Imagination
  • Alastair 21 Jan 2011 11:37:42 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I see. Looks pretty cool.
  • localnotail 21 Jan 2011 11:54:18 23,072 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a friendly place too, had a very nice evening in there.
  • Alastair 21 Jan 2011 11:57:42 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    It's a friendly place too, had a very nice evening in there.
    Did you get felt up by a pretend gay?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.