Following Darksiders Page 3

• Deleted user 16 December 2009 12:37:08
    Dude has a smaller head than the Bayonetta lass, his head is tiny compared to his shoulders and the rest of his body as well.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2009 14:10:27
    That was a very nice preview of the game, looks very interesting. Still not sure if I can get over the artstyle, but the gameplay looks right up my alley.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2009 14:17:31
    Oh wow, just noticed this today. It looks rather excellent!

Just hope the PS3 gets adequate treatment.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Dec 2009 14:18:53 24,167 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    I miss soul reaver :(

I still have SR, bung it in the ps2 now and again. Excellent from start to completion.
    Re Darksiders, I have pre ordered.
  • Blerk Moderator 16 Dec 2009 14:27:46 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:

They've been showing the PS3 version quite regularly over the last few months and it certainly looks fine from those videos.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2009 14:39:11
    Blerk wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:

They've been showing the PS3 version quite regularly over the last few months and it certainly looks fine from those videos.

Good stuff!

The Bayonetta catastrophe has left me somewhat question every multi format title to appear on the PS3. (for good reason, dam you Sega!)

Ive just pre-orderd! Cant believe this gem escaped my radar and its out in a few weeks. \o/
  • Machetazo 16 Dec 2009 14:44:35 6,372 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    That's a preview rather than a trailer, ecosse. Looks pretty great, though. I'm hopeful for this one!
    It looks good but unbelievably Zeldaish in places, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Watching the videos from the official site, and reading some of the material provided there, in combat, it more leans to, yes, a God of War model (the character's not so light on his feet to compare to Dante) - until War opens a dungeon to explore, at which point, it plays therein some times more like Zelda. I think now, that the platforming, and puzzles will give this an extra push towards greatness.

Having seen the Hell books, etc, now that the official site is fully active to enable me to; and having, coincidentally played the 360 Bayo demo earlier, it looks like Darksiders provides the more attractive and rewarding gameplay proposal (though I am not intending to miss out on Platinum's Game either.)
    So, yeah, I'm looking forward to the start of the year to start playing this. :)

One question, though: Does The Harvester pre-order weapon unbalance the game?
  • Quint2020 16 Dec 2009 14:59:18 3,484 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    One question, though: Does The Harvester pre-order weapon unbalance the game?

I've got this pre-ordered with Game as well so I'm wondering this, still it's got to be a better pre-order bonus than that bloody War costume for your avatar.
  • twoism 16 Dec 2009 15:31:41 181 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm more wondering if its actually worth pre-ordering for, whether or not its just another weapon that looks cool or if there's any real added advantage for using it - and if so, for how long in the game will it be of benefit? Surely there will be better weapons to upgrade to later on because I can't imagine the best weapon in the game is DLC exclusive. If it turns out to be rubbish then I might go for the cheaper option on shopto and get a free t-shirt instead.
  • Machetazo 16 Dec 2009 16:02:49 6,372 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A bit of Googling later, and I find that, apparently Gamestation aren't offering the prequel Graphic Novel with the pre-order (meaning THQ itself was mistaken in publishing that, several days ago, and fwiw, I'm disappointed :( ) but on to this scythe:
    One place says worryingly, that it offers War the power unto a God; where others say that it's available for in-game purchase anyways, but will cost you a lot of in-game soul currency to obtain.

There may be two scythes! [link=http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71738">Gamestop's image gives you a great look at the Harvester...
  • THQInsider 16 Dec 2009 17:31:05 159 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any Joe Mad fans?

He'll be signing copies of the game at the Forbidden Planet Megastore the night before the game hits. This will be the first place in the UK to get the game! :)

Address and details here.
  • IronGiant 16 Dec 2009 17:39:16 5,860 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like the look of this but i fear that as i brand new IP it's not gonna sell enough, hope im proved wrong.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2009 00:53:22
    Review

http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.Content&contentid=1989
  • Deleted user 24 December 2009 19:12:53
    After having finished a one hour session i have to say that this looks extremely promising, kudos to vigil games :)

Pros : 1) Voice acting is (in my opinion) top-notch.

2) The artwork , well , you've already seen videos and screenshots , it's really something , bright, colorful with memorable characters - The main character War looks very imposing and "cool".

3) The combat system is really fluid , it's fast and very responsive , it's more God of war than NG/DMC for anyone that's interested.

4) The soundtrack is E-P-I-C

Cons (more like, things i didn't like)

1) The camera is all over the place , it's slow with no options whatsoever to turn up the sensitivity - there is one sensitivity option but it's only for the "aim view" mode.
    This leads to some clusterf@ck moments when there are multiple enemies on screen and you change the lock-on cursor from one enemy to another since it's the faster alternative than trying to change the view manually with the R.S.
    Also , there's no camera reset , you can always try to press LT but if enemies are near you this leads - again - to some awkward/disorienting camera "moments".
    All in all , things can get quite a bit disorienting in the heat of combat...
    Mr THQ insider , maybe you could pass this on to the dev.team ? =) (if that's even possible).

2) Framerate seems to be unlocked , it fluctuates between 30 and below , there are also moments when it reaches 60 (?).
    (The "unlocked" goes to the 30/60 fps fluctuation).

3) Tearing is most definitely visible especially when things get hectic , it's not annoying or bad as - say - Dead rising + VGA or Splinter cell D.A but it's definitely there...

I understand that what i described has mostly got to do with the tech-side of the game but i know that there are gents in here interested in this kind of thing , so...

Personally speaking , the only real problem i've found with the game is the camera , i'm already in love with the artwork , music and gameplay :)

Cheers and Merry Xmas to everybody.
  • Deleted user 24 December 2009 19:14:46
    YAY!

Klem actually likes something :)

/Merry Christmas btw
  • Deleted user 24 December 2009 19:19:58
    spartancog117 wrote:
    YAY!

Klem actually likes something :)

/Merry Christmas btw

WHY YOU ! xD

It's a real nice game mate , what can i say ?
    It seems to get everything right - besides some tech "problems" like i mentioned above.

Also , sorry lads for the bad English but i've already had a couple of Beer-trons , so... :)

EDIT : Does anyone know how many difficulty levels are in the game ? From the start menu there was easy , normal and Apocalyptic , is there an UBER-HELL HARD unlockable mode ?
    I'm asking this because it seems that on normal is going to be a breeze and since i intent on spending some "quality time" with it...(i'm looking at you Assassin's Creed 2 with your "auto-pilot" easy difficulty).
  • WinterSnowblind 24 Dec 2009 19:31:32 1,269 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good to hear some positive impressions of the game. I'm a little skeptical of that 10/10 review, especially if there are camera and frame rate problems, but it does sound really great.

Reminds me a lot of games like Soul Reaver, which is definitely a good thing. We're seeing too many hack and slash games these days with no substance behind them. A more adventure/puzzle based game is definitely very welcome, especially if it can combine that with decent combat.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2009 11:38:56
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Good to hear some positive impressions of the game. I'm a little skeptical of that 10/10 review, especially if there are camera and frame rate problems, but it does sound really great.

Reminds me a lot of games like Soul Reaver, which is definitely a good thing. We're seeing too many hack and slash games these days with no substance behind them. A more adventure/puzzle based game is definitely very welcome, especially if it can combine that with decent combat.

It definitely plays like soul reaver mate - which can only be a good thing :)

New impressions : I take back everything i said about tearing and framerate , the game tears like a b@tch , basically , i haven't witnessed a moment in which the tearing isn't apparent , real ghastly stuff lads...
    Add to that a below 30 fps counter that accounts for 80% of the time you're playing and...
    Also , i wouldn't be surprised if the game runs at a sub 720p resolution - it has a really jaggied look overall...

Don't know , after a 2 hour session with this last night i put Assassin's creed 2 and Bayonetta back in my 360 and i felt like i was playing on new hardware (Xbox720) with their silky smooth framerate and top-notch image quality.
    Sure , AC2 has pop-in issues and whatnot but playing it immediately after Darksiders you can really appreciate the work Ubisoft has put in it and excuse all of its problems.
    This is of course a testament of how "mediocre" tech-wise Darksiders looks and "feels" , sure, the art direction is top-notch but it's the only redeeming factor regarding the look of the game.
    It's a real shame because other than that the game is really nice , thing is , the framerate and tearing DO break the immersion - that's what it did for me at least...

Regarding the camera , well , you do get somewhat used to the Z-targeting for the battles, also , for the exploration bits you can just use the "aim view" camera which is way faster and its speed can be adjusted via the options menu.

One thing i can't understand though is the idea of Western developers about the difficulty settings of a game : I had to restart the motherf@cker because i could see myself finishing the game in 10 hours if i kept playing it on "normal" , basically , you have to put the joypad down literally for you to lose , put it on "Apocalyptic" though and it's all over in 4-5 hits (even less when you're doing boss battles) - do playtesters even do their job nowadays ?
    Sure , you can upgrade your health meter but at least in the beginning it can get pretty hard- combined with the fact of the "not-so-good" camera...
    Still , i prefer it this way than on normal , so... (at least it's going to last longer).

Regarding the combat, it is fun but everything boils down in repeating the same 1-2 combos since they're the most effective , repetitive stuff basically.
    This is perfectly acceptable though since the game isn't a hack 'n' slasher in the vein of DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta so...

Anyway, what matters is that the game is fun - there's no denying about that, it's just that the tech issues can get in the way of your enjoyment and are kind of immersion breaking...
    Just like Wintersnowblind mentioned , a 10/10 score seems way off only because of the aforementioned technical stuff.

Cheers
  • Lotos8ter 27 Dec 2009 21:53:40 2,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice one Klem - cheers for the feedback. I think the game's gone gold so its done but doesn't sound like any deal breakers there.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2009 00:22:58
    It looked interesting in the preview but the framerate and tearing could put me off.

Also I'm not a massive fan of the hack 'n slash genre to be honest, never bought a DMC and Bayonetta doesn't really interest me either. It does sound good with the dungeons and weapon based tactics though.

Soul Reaver was a very good game so comparisons to that perk my interest.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2009 11:07:07
    This needs a V-sync enable patch REALLY bad...

Every single frame appears to be torn , i mean , why on earth in most enclosed locations does the game run at (almost) 60fps when half of the rest of the game is sub-30 ? LOCK the mothaf@cka down , that way the fps fluctuation won't seem that bad , i'd take a (mostly) solid 30fps framerate with various dips here and there any time of day compared to the 30 to 20-something to 60 and 30 back again that has now...
    The tearing is even worse when the game reaches the 60fps mark...

You have to play this lads to understand how darn bad the tearing is , it's basically doing my head in , it's so apparent that even people that aren't "sensitive" to this kind of tech problems will notice it - it's THAT distracting i'm afraid...
    As an example , a not-so-geek friend bought this the other day too and replying to a msg i sent him on Live asking him whether he likes the game, he mentioned the game looking really "weird".
    "What's weird about it?" i asked, to which he replied about the display of the game looking "off" - like the screen was "flickering" all the time , like it was "broken" in "two halves".
    He also said that it was ruining the "atmosphere" of the game for him basically...

This may sound kind of a hyperbole but it feels like an amateurish job compared to the likes of Bayonetta and other recent/modern games - tech-wise always...

Really displeased with the game's presentation right now :(
  • twoism 28 Dec 2009 11:10:20 181 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone know if it fares any better on ps3? This frame rate and tearing worries me.
  • WinterSnowblind 28 Dec 2009 11:11:27 1,269 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    twoism wrote:
    I'm more wondering if its actually worth pre-ordering for, whether or not its just another weapon that looks cool or if there's any real added advantage for using it - and if so, for how long in the game will it be of benefit? Surely there will be better weapons to upgrade to later on because I can't imagine the best weapon in the game is DLC exclusive. If it turns out to be rubbish then I might go for the cheaper option on shopto and get a free t-shirt instead.

Personally, I like the Avatar armour. It's a fun little bonus that you don't need to worry about breaking the game. Also, I can see the weapon becoming DLC down the road, where as these costume pieces are more likely to remain exclusive.
  • Roarster 28 Dec 2009 11:13:55 152 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got this game on pre-order for the PS3 and reading this has got me a bit worried. If the framerate and tearing is this bad on the xbox then I fear the PS3 version might be unplayable. Hopefully there'll be some early reviews so that I can decide whether to stick with the pre-order or not.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2009 11:15:50
    twoism wrote:
    Anyone know if it fares any better on ps3? This frame rate and tearing worries me.

I would be really surprised friend if the PS3 version performed better - don't get me wrong , it's just that 99% of the multiplatform games perform better on the 360 , so... :(

Anyway , the only reason i'm complaining boys is because i really like the game, it's just that the tech problems really bring it down , always in my personal opinion of course...
    I'd give an arm and a leg to have this performing at a native 720p res with a solid 30fps (or better yet, 60fps) framerate...

Really curious about what DF will have to say about the game now :)
  • matrim83 28 Dec 2009 11:27:03 5,694 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I heard something about a PC version. Is that happening?

That would ideally take care of the tearing and frame-rate issues.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Dec 2009 09:14:06 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    9.0 from IGN Australia.
  • Gearskin 30 Dec 2009 10:10:06 3,233 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In the states they get a wicked Darksiders figure with pre-orders, looks way cool.

We get nothing.
  • pinebear 30 Dec 2009 14:30:42 8,564 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Time was that getting the game before anyone else would be bonus enough. Now they're offering novelty letter openers and custom card decks to get everyone up and hot about an electronic diversion.
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2009 14:33:54 50,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Demo on the way?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.