Following Darksiders Page 29

• Youthist 27 May 2011 16:19:53 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The first big temple got me hooked. All of the temples need proper thought.
  • Duffking 27 Jun 2011 20:44:25 15,950 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved this game, managed to get pretty much everything on my first playthrough. Worth doing on hard from the off IMO, Stonskin or whatever can make the game a bit easy.

Hope the sequel has a more responsive jump though.
  • agparrot 27 Jun 2011 21:03:59 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the advice of this very thread I played the game on Apocalyptic difficulty from the start, and actually that seemed nicely balanced - it wasn't easy, and it wasn't impossible, despite being the hardest difficulty setting.

Did mean that a couple of the boss fights got me killed while I was still trying to figure out what the heck was going on, but it's a game I still look back on fondly, and that gave me little pangs of excitement when they showed the minivideo for the sequel.

I want to be Death!
  • Machetazo 28 Jun 2011 01:03:51 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Game Informer has an article, possibly containing a video, of the DS2 game producer explaining and showing how a dungeon in the new game is made, the tools they use and that kind of thing.
  • matrim83 9 Jul 2011 19:58:44 5,694 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ugh that first boss (Tiamat) is an asshole. Everything so far has been a cakewalk and out of nowhere the game throws a brutal difficulty spike at you.
  • mikew1985 9 Jul 2011 20:14:10 14,570 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, its probably the biggest spike in the game by some distance. Keep at it, the game is top quality
  • H1ggyLTD 10 Jul 2011 10:39:19 11,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved this game.

Some of the lines are absolute class.

Looking forward to the sequel.
  • frugtkompot 25 Aug 2011 19:24:54 2,829 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm awfully, awfully late to the party ... but just about to start! I remember reading this thread back when the game came out, but can't actually remember much in terms of tips and tricks.

Are there any for a beginner? Tips, I mean, before I start.
  • Duffking 25 Aug 2011 20:36:07 15,950 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Play it on Apocalyptic if you want a good challenge :) The difficulty is spot on then aside from one encounter on the way to the first proper dungeon.

Spend your upgrades on Stoneskin, it's by far the most useful skill as it soaks up tons of damage, and lets you deal more too.

Obviously make sure you explore, there's artifacts which are worth money when you sell them hidden all over the shop.

The Legendary enchancements are rather tough to find but worth seeking out as well.
  • frugtkompot 26 Aug 2011 08:31:09 2,829 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks Duff. Are there a lot of different upgrades? I'm a little unsure how RPG'ish the game is.

Ill go with normal difficulty though. I dont mind games being on the easy side :)
  • nickthegun 26 Aug 2011 09:19:03 76,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There arent really upgrades as such, just a few special powers and weapons and you basically just choose to upgrade your favourite, so not hugely RPGey.

And, yeah, apocalyptic is about what you would expect a good normal difficulty to be. Its quite an easy game, all told.
  • OnlyMe 26 Aug 2011 09:51:30 3,135 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The bastard ogre on the broken bridge that start out hurling cars at me had me putting the game down for a long long time. I just couldn't take him down. But eventually I made it (in a cheap way I might add, by blowing the horn to interrupt his attacks), and so I continued on the quest. Finally got to see why people were calling it a Zelda-clone, before the first boss. Didn't take too many tries to take her down, but I kinda dislike the way the camera moves in first person using a controller. Acceleration doesn't work with analogue sticks very well, imo, I'd prefer a consistant movement.
  • Duffking 26 Aug 2011 10:20:19 15,950 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OnlyMe wrote:
    The bastard ogre on the broken bridge that start out hurling cars at me had me putting the game down for a long long time.

That's the one encounter I was talking about :)
  • Youthist 7 Sep 2011 09:47:24 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    This really is God of Zelda, isn't it?
    Good fun so far though, any tips on upgrades?

How far you got? No Chronicles for you yet then? Thought you would be all over it!

But yes it is GOZ. It's also superb.
  • nickthegun 7 Sep 2011 09:58:12 76,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Plough everything into the sword and the scyth, the shoulder tackle, the pop-up combo starter and the bladestorm thing is useful for when you are getting mobbed.
  • OnlyMe 7 Sep 2011 09:58:48 3,135 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just finished this a couple of days ago, actually, after postponing it for a long long time. I was utterly devestated by that damn ogre on the bridge that I left it rot for months before I picked it up again. But when I finally did, I almost breezed through the game without too much of a challenge (once you learn certain enemies attack patterns and weaknesses, it's not too difficult).

After I finished it, the sequel is on my radar, which it really wasn't until now. For some reason, I just can't look forward to sequels to games I haven't finished.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2011 15:10:10
    Awesome game. I completed it on apocalyptic on the first play-thru. Only really struggled one one pack of mobs during the last section of the game. All the boss fights are pretty simple once you know what they do.

Darksiders 2 is top of my wanted list. Seriously cannot wait.
  • Youthist 7 Sep 2011 15:50:00 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You gotta long way to go. It doesnt really start to get proper decent until about 40% of the way in!

Great game though. I think it was kinda getting 6/10 in the mags way back whenm, shirley some mistake.
  • nickthegun 7 Sep 2011 16:29:14 76,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I know you dont have me on ignore, i will just cry ;_;
  • Deleted user 7 September 2011 16:30:11
    I'm on that challenges bit too, how far in is that?
  • nickthegun 7 Sep 2011 16:31:38 76,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not very, you are basically still being given tutorials.
  • Youthist 7 Sep 2011 16:32:30 13,559 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dont recall exactly what I went for tbh, but I hardly touched the scythe, and I hardly ever used it IIRC. Just go with your gut I am sure you will be fine. Actually I do remember some direct sword attack from behind that was huge, I went big on that.

/memory is shite

Choking grounds is like right near the start IIRC. Not even at the Broken Stair yet, you not even got to first real dungeon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.