Haruki Murakami Page 3

Next Last
  • boo 29 Oct 2009 10:55:42 13,613 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ah yes!

Think I'll go and sit in a well for while...

Barking!!
  • Slurmseh 29 Oct 2009 23:54:18 2,594 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Read Wild Sheep Chase for college last year and enjoyed it. Haven't gotten round to reading his other stuff though.
  • sirtacos 2 Dec 2009 17:43:55 8,244 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • sirtacos 2 Dec 2009 17:43:57 8,244 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Goban 2 Dec 2009 17:45:25 10,071 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I read Norwegian Wood the other week and it blew me away, wonderful stuff, Midori = best character ever :-)

Just started The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and have ordered South of the Border, West of the Sun and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

Amazing author.
    One of my favourite authors. I'm slightly jealous, would love to be discovering all his books again.
  • sagat 2 Dec 2009 18:36:48 93 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    modo_komodo wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    He's great.

I've got to admit though that I found Hard-bolied Wonderland a bit tedious. My favourite is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.

I read that but I had no fucking idea what was going on.

I found myself feeling like that after a few of his novels, but enjoyed the journey so much that the destination didnt really matter.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 4 Dec 2009 19:15:15 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've only read After Dark-- great book. Incidentally its one of the few books where i was literally hooked because of the opening paragraph. It's the best paragraph in the book
  • Metalfish 4 Dec 2009 19:39:45 9,191 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That sounds ever so slightly disappointing.

Although in a pure literary merit sense, the first few pages of The Picture of Dorian Gray soar much higher than anything that follows.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Stringer_Bell 3 May 2011 14:27:29 194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am halfway through Kafka on the Shore and absolutely loving it. Nakata is unlike any character I have come across before. I do wish they published his books for the Kindle, however, as I much prefer using it to the quite frankly antiquated ink & paper :-P
  • Deleted user 10 May 2011 15:48:06
    Just finished Norwegian wood, this afternoon in the glorious sunshine. Its my first Murakami novel, and i was really engrossed in it. His characters are so well drawn, the core of the characters are so well defined it makes the novel ultimately so more moving/engaging. The novel wouldn;t work without it. Also Rieko i hated at first, but i was so drawn to her by the end. A total change of views on her by introduction and by the end.

What did people think of the ending? I just re-read the first couple of pages, and that last paragraph, and i take it that he just got lost in life after everything that happened, went to work, man in grey suit, he was lost in life, and lived inside a swamp, and when he is lost, he doesn't phone Midori. He kind of uses quite a bit in the novel, and i think he doesn;t quite realise how much he actually likes her. He thinks about her, and the story and realises that she gave him all the life that his life had, gave it that meaning he was desperatly seeking, but losing Kiziuki, Naoko, and to some extent Reiko it took him sometime to recover. ... or something like that Open endings in books huh, hate them but love them
  • boo 17 Oct 2011 16:24:47 13,613 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Article on the BBC site about Murakami's forthcoming novel, 1Q84.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2011 21:39:08
    Stringer_Bell wrote:
    Am halfway through Kafka on the Shore and absolutely loving it. Nakata is unlike any character I have come across before. I do wish they published his books for the Kindle, however, as I much prefer using it to the quite frankly antiquated ink & paper :-P

What did you think of the second half? i loved the first, but the second half just stepped to far in pointers, iconography, and just general wtf, peicing the parts together.

Its really complex ending, that is so open to intepretation that asking 100 different readers would result in 100 completly different understanding of the novel.

I just figured it pratically a time travel love story combined with a story of growing up, or the soul can or will exist in different forms to wait to be healed, or put to rest. But the devices used, are a bit overwhelming. But hte first half is glorious, and a lot of fun.

Perferred Norwegian wood alot more, this isn't a bad book, theres a lot of fun to be had, but its too open.

Nakata is an amazing character, but don't fully understand his role in all of this. Considering he as such an important role regarding the stone, i don't understand why he has to open and shut it, and its relationship to the main story, is he just like a guardian for kafka to complete his story?

Still looking forward to reading 1Q84 though.
  • sirtacos 4 Nov 2011 15:48:55 8,244 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Stringer Bell

His books are on Kindle. Most if not all of them.

So far, A Wild Sheep Chase and Kafka on the Shore are my favourites. Couldn't put either of them down. Still making my way through Norwegian Wood - it's a slow-burner for me.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:50:51 04-11-2011
  • Deleted user 13 November 2011 21:48:29
    Just started 1Q84 today. It's....getting off to a fantastically odd start :D
  • JoelStinty 21 Jan 2015 12:05:34 8,982 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murikami is being a agony aunt for a month. English translation here.
    https://mrmurakamisplace.wordpress.com

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:05:51 21-01-2015
  • JoelStinty 28 Jul 2015 09:50:42 8,982 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    His first two novels - Wind and Pinball are being released next week if anyone ever wanted to read them. Hardback/kindle editions.

Amazon link
  • wobbly_Bob 28 Jul 2015 13:26:29 5,162 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JoelStinty good call. Murakami is fantastic. I do most of my reading on a kindle so ideal. I might pick up one of those. I have only read Wind Up Bird Chronicle but that single book catapulted him to the top of favourite authors.
  • StixxUK 28 Jul 2015 15:46:50 8,370 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    1Q84 is a bit long and doesn't stand up against his other books that I've read. Really liked Hard Boiled Wonderland though.

What do people generally rate as his best? Definitely want to read Norwegian Wood and I have Kafka on the shore sitting on my Kindle.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Jul 2015 16:24:31 29,029 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    1Q84 is a bit long and doesn't stand up against his other books that I've read. Really liked Hard Boiled Wonderland though.

What do people generally rate as his best? Definitely want to read Norwegian Wood and I have Kafka on the shore sitting on my Kindle.
    I'm reading 1Q84 just a now, my faves are Kafka on the shore, Norwegian Wood and the Wind up Bird Chronicles
  • wobbly_Bob 28 Jul 2015 16:30:42 5,162 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

That's a shame I had my eye on that one but it's massive size did put me off.
  • StixxUK 28 Jul 2015 17:08:58 8,370 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's not bad by any means I just think the story could have been told in half the number of pages!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.