Can anyone identify this horror novella?

• techierob 22 Sep 2008 13:25:25 336 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been trying to find out the name of a horror novella that I read when I was about 10-12. It might have just been a short story but I'm fairly sure it was somewhere around 30-50 pages long.

All I remember about the story is that it had a woman with a pet lemur in it and that something caught fire, some monster with globes at the ends of its arms escaped and the lemur was found dead at the end. Sorry if that's vague, but I don't remember anything else.

I either read it in a fontana horror collection, a pan books horror collection or a hitchcock collection. I'm fairly sure that I read The Ash Tree in the same collection, but I could be wrong.

I'd guess that the story was written some time between 1900-1950, it was probably set in an old house or a village, it had a male protagonist/narrator and I'm fairly sure there was a primate theme to it. Other than that, I can't remember.

Any ideas?
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Sep 2008 13:26:50 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It sounds a lot like H.P. Lovecraft.
  • Spanky 22 Sep 2008 13:29:55 15,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dreams in the Witch House has a big rat with a human face called Brown Jenkin, not a lemur though.
  • techierob 22 Sep 2008 13:49:04 336 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice trys, cheers. The story did have a bit of a lovecrafty/stokery feel to it, although this was before I remember reading any lovecraft so I could be a bit off.
    Anyway, it's not any lovecraft story I've read since. I'm certain it was a lemur because I had to look up what a lemur was when I first read it.

The main reason I'm trying to track it down is because the story didn't make any sense to me at a time so I'm going to have to read it again to work out wtf was going on.

Oh, and the collection I read it in might have had The Fly in it as well
  • techierob 6 Oct 2008 10:04:09 336 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right. I've tracked down some of the old horror compilations that I used to read and got the story lists. The following stories are all ones I must have read but none appear to be the one I'm after:

The Ash-tree - Montague Rhodes James
    It's a Good Life - Jerome Bixby
    Whole Town's Sleeping - Ray Bradbury
    Lady's Man - Ruth Chatterton
    Evening Primrose - John Collier
    The Cocoon - John B. L. Goodwin
    Vintage Season - C. L. Moore
    The Whistling Room - William Hope Hodgson
    Our Feathered Friends - Philip MacDonald
    The Fly - George Langelaan
    Second Night Out - Frank Belknap Long
    Side Bet - Will F Jenkins
    Told For the Truth - Cyril Hume
    Pieces of Silver - Brett Halliday

For what it's worth, a few of those might be freely available on project gutenberg.
  • davidspiegler 18 Jun 2016 20:16:48 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @techierob its the Cyril Hume story. I don't understand it either. Google it for a review. 'cyril Hume nerd truth'. The reviewer is wrong. I think the woman had sex with the lemur.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 20:20:54
    Lemur-Faced Horror Adventures.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 20:54:24
    Enemy Mine
  • Spanky 18 Jun 2016 21:30:29 15,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A reply 8 years in the making :D
  • cov 18 Jun 2016 22:06:45 2,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    i'm trying to remember a horror novel I read as a kid... set in an American small town, focussed on children, something to do with milk being infected and driving the children homicidal. Thought it was Robert mccammon but its not... any ideas?
  • Vortex808 18 Jun 2016 23:25:41 13,856 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cov wrote:
    i'm trying to remember a horror novel I read as a kid... set in an American small town, focussed on children, something to do with milk being infected and driving the children homicidal. Thought it was Robert mccammon but its not... any ideas?
    John Gummer- The Milkening?
  • cov 19 Jun 2016 00:11:06 2,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    kinda creepy funny combo suggestion but no :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.