• Graxlar_v3 17 Jul 2018 14:15:27 4,756 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    10 weeks 3 days....
  • nudistpete 17 Jul 2018 14:38:35 421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I genuinely don't give a fuck what someone did in the 90's. Employer name Job title and a couple of bullet points max. I only care about the last decade.
    I agree with this. I review CV's and it's fucking draining, it's pretty unlikely that anyone will read the whole four pages cover to cover unless you're a professional writer.
  • CompetitiveDad 17 Jul 2018 14:47:47 8,115 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    4 Pages is a hella long CV.

I genuinely don't give a fuck what someone did in the 90's. Employer name Job title and a couple of bullet points max. I only care about the last decade.

If a CFO/CEO with 40 years of experience can get their CV down to 2 pages you can.
    Yeah I was advised to keep my CV to 2 pages max.
  • vanDevious 17 Jul 2018 14:49:40 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's better for your standard idiot job (lower management, general office etc)1 page or 2?

My work has been dead for most of this year and it feels like a matter of time before something (bad) happens.
  • Carlo 17 Jul 2018 14:51:45 20,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

If a CFO/CEO with 40 years of experience can get their CV down to 2 pages you can.
    I'd would have really liked to have someone redo my CV completely as I've maintained it for about 15 years by myself since the last time I had help with it.

It's a big fat bloated mess I think... I would be happy to pay someone if they have industry experience for my specific role.

However I've just landed a new job... Start next month, so I'll probably forget all about this important task until I want to move jobs again.
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2018 14:57:11 18,915 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, it's actually 3 and not to 4. Only just 3 as well, so I could get it down to 2.

Thanks for the tips.
  • nudistpete 17 Jul 2018 15:06:16 421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    vanDevious wrote:
    What's better for your standard idiot job (lower management, general office etc)1 page or 2?

My work has been dead for most of this year and it feels like a matter of time before something (bad) happens.
    It depends on what you have to say. If you can genuinely sell yourself in a page, then do it.

On a CV I'd expect:
    - Your contact details
    - A short summary about yourself (optional - and only write one if you have something to actually say, if you're going to write one I paste into google and see you're robbed it from someone, that's a red flag)
    - Bullet point list of your skills
    - List of your last x jobs with a short description of what you did and what you think you did well (a couple of sentences)
    - Short list of any other jobs you've ever had if you're part time or whatever
    - If you have a full clean driving license, first aid skills etc., add those

Try and make it relevant (e.g. if the job ad talks about excel, shoehorn in your wizardry with spreadsheets and how your latest one saved the company 12,000,000,000), don't waffle, brag about your achievements.

I'd be surprised if most people could fit that on a side of A4.
  • nudistpete 17 Jul 2018 15:13:24 421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh, and I forgot to say, a covering letter tailored to the job (e.g. not just copied & pasted from the last x applications) makes a huge difference as well. End it telling the person reading it why you want to work at the company - read their website and tell them you believe in their mission statement of "kill all humans" or say how passionate you are about working in their field and that you'd like to make a difference.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jul 2018 15:17:25 4,756 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I believe in your 'kill all humans' policy on maintaining a stable working environment. Having been born in the technological era and witnessing Twitter, i truly believe that the only way humanity can survive is to kill all the humans.
  • vanDevious 17 Jul 2018 15:23:33 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nudistpete thanks for this, I was under the impression that single page cv's (when used with detailed unique covering letters) were a thing but suppose I was wrong.
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2018 15:26:57 18,915 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Oh, and I forgot to say, a covering letter tailored to the job (e.g. not just copied & pasted from the last x applications) makes a huge difference as well. End it telling the person reading it why you want to work at the company - read their website and tell them you believe in their mission statement of "kill all humans" or say how passionate you are about working in their field and that you'd like to make a difference.
    That's not possible as far as IT agencies are concerned. They won't tell you who it is until you've got the interview. It also gives you something to talk about in the interview rather than have it on paper.

Depends on what you're looking for and who you're dealing with.
  • nudistpete 17 Jul 2018 15:29:16 421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @vanDevious they might just be a thing, my experience is limited. To be honest unless I saw one and it was well done, I can't really judge.

Sadly most of my recruitment activities are for our foreign operation now so most the cv's I encounter are completely soul destroying. 900 page monster cv's detailing the applicants activities since they were in the womb, but often not telling me what they actually accomplished in their previous places of employment.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jul 2018 15:29:44 4,756 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    In the accounting world you get recruiters calling you. Hasn't come to anything yet (unfortunately) but yeah cover letters are not used.
  • OnlyJoeKing 17 Jul 2018 15:37:07 785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really not a fan of the arbitrary 2 page limit for CVs. It means you need to bunch text together, use smaller fonts than otherwise, etc.

Surely the main point is for it to be easily readable. Is a 3 page CV, with larger text, clearly and neatly laid out, really not better than having everything all crammed onto two sides?
  • nudistpete 17 Jul 2018 15:43:24 421 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    93 pages is completely fine a CV is fine so long as it's relevant and keeps the reviewer enthused. That's the difficult bit, keeping the reviewer awake.

The problem is that most CV's over 2 pages, in my limited experience, don't do this.

I don't have any stats for the last UK recruitment I did to hand, but for a single role we had loads of CV's. We're all really busy so each CV has a couple of minutes to hook the reviewer, if that. No-one is going to read the whole thing cover to cover and determine if the applicant is right for the position, the decision to progress the candidate to the next stage has probably been made half way down the first page with the remainder sealing the deal.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jul 2018 15:44:16 4,756 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @OnlyJoeKing The 2 page limit is there because the person recruiting for the role is going to have many many CV's to peruse and there is a limit to how much they can take in.

Having the two page limit is suppose to get the candidate to really think about what is important when writing their CV and removing all the waffle (as opposed to getting them to reduce the font size or bunch everything up).

If you have 3 pages of relevant experience then by all means use three pages.
  • nickthegun 17 Jul 2018 15:48:50 76,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I pretty much just read the relevant skills bullet points and the last few jobs.

And the sometimes the bio if it looks funny.
  • OnlyJoeKing 17 Jul 2018 15:56:57 785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My thoughts exactly. A cv of 3 pages which are basically walls of text is not going to be read. 2 page walls of text ain't getting read either, tbf!
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Jul 2018 16:38:29 22,046 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I pretty much just read the relevant skills bullet points and the last few jobs.

And the sometimes the bio if it looks funny.
    This is my approach too and why I suggest to people that it can be useful to bung something of yourself into it rather than just being the same as every other CV.

Oh and I cannot abide poorly laid out CVs. Basic document production shows time and craft in presentation. It doesn't have to be colourful, just the occasional use of a line for different sections or something to make it pop a little more.

Spelling and grammar check too. Saying one has attention to detail while having a spelling and grammar mistake doesn't inspire confidence.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jul 2018 16:39:56 4,756 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I would prob drop anyone who says attention to detail as a strength too (have been guilty of this in the past)
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Jul 2018 16:56:32 4,280 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Surely all the victims deserve a mention?!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Jul 2018 17:07:14 17,464 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope its worded like his film reviews.

Beastmaster is a guy who is good at IT. He's also a guy who needs a job. You could say that Beastmaster is a guy who is good at IT who needs a job. And you would be right because he is. Or rather I am. Welcome to Beastmasters CV.
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2018 17:10:34 18,915 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I hope its worded like his film reviews.

Beastmaster is a guy who is good at IT. He's also a guy who needs a job. You could say that Beastmaster is a guy who is good at IT who needs a job. And you would be right because he is. Or rather I am. Welcome to Beastmasters CV.
    :-)

That's all I need. Down from 3 pages to one paragraph!
  • RyanDS 17 Jul 2018 17:14:36 12,402 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CVs can be any length, with the caveat that only the first page matters to get read, then other pages are appendixes that flesh out the first page.

Two pages is best usually but more are needed to flesh out sometimes for certain roles.

Eg I know care workers and nannies who have 8 page cvs as they need to demonstrate every job ever to avoid gaps (usually just lists of who they worked for and then page after page of references. Really important for people who want to work with kids.) My CV is now 3 pages as I am contracting in technical areas, so first page is "I do X, Y and Z" and pages 2 & 3 are elaborating. Eg if I say "I do SQL" on the first page that is enough to get the CV read, then second page list projects of the type of SQL I do with relevant projects.
  • Deleted user 17 July 2018 17:19:49
    Post deleted
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2018 17:27:30 18,915 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Now it's time to dance that dance. Not the Batdance. It's waiting for the agent to ring and trying to get in touch with him.
  • Zerobob 17 Jul 2018 17:28:05 2,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My CV is a single page split into two columns. Left column my work history, right column my computing experience (bullet points), brief education summary and some additional info.

The CV is also headed by a very brief paragraph about myself and my contact details. It's worked very well for me in the past.
  • askew 17 Jul 2018 17:30:24 18,213 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a technique I read about when summarising your achievements. You have CAR and STAR. STAR is a little more detailed handy for more senior roles.

Context Action Result - brief and to the point:

"I deal with angry customers" becomes

Context: Working as a receptionist I signpost customers. One day a customer came into the reception very agressive and demanding for X to be sorted out.

Action: Using my customer service training, I managed to calm down the customer and look into his complaint.

Result: I managed to resolve the complaint, and the customer left happy.
    Situation Task Action Result:

Situation: Working as a receptionist I signpost customers and assist with their queries. One day a customer came into the reception very aggressive and demanding for X to be sorted out.

Task: As the first point of contact, it is my responsibility to assist with enquiries as efficiently as possible, avoiding escalation where possible.

Action: Using my customer service training, I calmed down the customer and listened to his complaint. After verifying his details,

I looked up his details on the system and noticed an anomaly which was affecting this customer. After liaising with another colleague, I managed to rectify this problem for the customer.

Result: The customer was very happy the problem was resolved, and left happy.
  • thelzdking 24 Sep 2018 08:37:58 8,826 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got an interview for a heritage advisor role on Friday - yikes. It's the first interview I've had for a job that matters in a decade. Need to revise.
  • dazcox5181 24 Sep 2018 08:47:02 645 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First day at my new job today after being made redundant, was lucky as not really missed a beat, my final pay and redundancy is paid tomorrow from the last place, so happily quids in before Christmas woohoo!

Also first day cycling in central London... that was an experience

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.