Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 103

Next Last
  • Frogofdoom 3 Dec 2019 09:19:29 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We have it but have never used it even when redundancy kicked in as a new job was found quickly. Feels like I would be better saving the monthly cash we spend on it.
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2019 09:58:30 91,280 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think I worked out that its cost me 2.5k since I've had it. But that's only 3.months mortgage repayments, so if the worst happened, I'd get a lot more mileage out of it than the savings put aside.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2019 12:34:17 4,874 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I've been pretty much ostracised this morning by my colleagues for not agreeing with the course of action they want to do (which is go over the MD's head and request a meeting with the French company that owns us). I just can't see it solving anything - the point I made was that there's very little chance of our owners deciding to make the MD and all our directors redundant instead of staff already chosen and that it was probably decided by our owners.

It's my birthday too :cry:
  • Nexus_6 3 Dec 2019 12:57:36 4,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Burn them all
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Dec 2019 13:23:43 8,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    So I've been pretty much ostracised this morning by my colleagues for not agreeing with the course of action they want to do (which is go over the MD's head and request a meeting with the French company that owns us). I just can't see it solving anything - the point I made was that there's very little chance of our owners deciding to make the MD and all our directors redundant instead of staff already chosen and that it was probably decided by our owners.

Well, sit there smugly knowing that you were right and their idea is a silly one.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2019 13:45:20
    @Rhaegyr Happy birthday.

Don't worry too much about it all. Have confidence in your own ability, if they don't see it, someone else will.

Fuck em
  • spurslol 3 Dec 2019 13:48:36 220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • spurslol 3 Dec 2019 13:48:46 220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fuck it
  • IRWATWO 3 Dec 2019 13:55:28 270 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @Rhaegyr Happy Birthday too dude.

There have certainly been worse times to have employment issues, little consolation as that is. Chin up, and all that platitudinous bollocks :)
  • Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2019 14:11:36 4,874 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the comments and the birthday well wishes everyone, always appreciated :)

It's just a huge fucking shame - these guys aren't just workplace proximity associates, they're actually good friends who I hang around with now and again outside work. The manager in particular has gone to bat for me a few times and managed to get me some serious extra money over the course of the last five years. I feel a fair bit of guilt for going for one of the few positions available as others don't have that choice because they don't have the skillset required (or they're still absolutely furious). Here's to hoping when the anger dies down we can all still be amicable at least.

Ah well - at least I'm going to Burger King for my birthday :D
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Dec 2019 14:28:59 1,794 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @HookJaw I used to have it when I first got a mortgage, back in 2000, then when I was made redundant in 2009 and I tapped into it. I had to sign on as unemployed and all that that involves in order to trigger it and it gave me a 12 months of mortgage payments. After a year I think I had more than gained what I'd paid in and the dole office were starting to force me into various dumbass courses and whatnot so I went and got a job. Though it worked out OK for me I've never thought about getting it again, I guess I was more nervous/cautious about things back then getting my first mortgage etc.
  • Blakester 3 Dec 2019 18:17:46 4,842 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    Does anyone here have wage insurance to protect their income in the event of non-fault job loss? If so, have they ever had to use it?
    A word of caution from painful recent experience.

I was made redundant early summer, expected to get work fairly quickly but by September I was still searching. At this point I decided to activate my insurance to make my severance go a little further. Firstly I had no idea you had to sign on for universal credits and show an active log to even begin the claim. This takes weeks.

Then having filled out the painfully long insurance forms, you have to wait a few weeks for a decision on the claim.

Once you get the go-ahead - and this is the real kicker - there's a 30 day wait period before they pay out. This is to see if you can land a job in the interim which would save them from paying you.

All told it's at least 8 weeks before you see a single penny.

Now that may well be the conditions of my insurance and YMMV, but I'm struggling to see the value, especially if you're going to need the funds quickly. Fuck knows how anyone seeking universal credits can even survive week to week - but that's a conversation for another time.
  • beastmaster 3 Dec 2019 18:30:33 19,577 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Couple of things.

Happy Birthday! Try to forget about these things for a while if you possibly can.

I've not been following but how to do know if wasn't the French companies decision to start making you redundant?

Xmas time is when those mutherfuckers always like to get rid of people.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Dec 2019 21:32:01 7,787 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You think the new holding company somehow decided who gets to go?

I'll give my experiences of working in mergers and acquisitions (pretty much my job nowadays):

- company is looking for acquisition to get customer books, tech, product or other accelerators to get into / further into target market
    - smaller companies giggle coquettishly and flash their frilly panties
    - potential acquirer chooses which color panties they like, and start due diligence
    - simultaneously, owners of smaller company sign all kinds of crazy deals and cut costs to make balance sheet as shiny as their panties
    - acquisition goes through, owners get taken care of and are asked about some irregularities with contracts / order books / p&l
    - owners throw the idea of 'streamlining' to correct the now more realistic projections

And that brings us up to date
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2019 21:34:45 91,280 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You sell out PES
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Dec 2019 21:36:13 7,787 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FUCK EVERYONE I NEED TWO LAMBOS
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.