Demon's Souls Page 557

• quadfather 30 Nov 2017 15:10:56 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is that supposed to be an aging pc spec? Shit, that's slightly (cpu) higher than mine and I thought mine was above average!
  • azurelas_2 30 Nov 2017 15:40:42 1,774 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unfortunately it is. I tried playing Deus Ex and Hitman at acceptable settings and it just wouldn't run properly.

That said, RPCS3 doesn't seem to like my PC at all. There's a really annoying light glitch in Demon's Souls that I can't get rid of. I can't wait for the PS4 remaster or I'll just get an ageing PS3 just to play it.
  • DodgyPast 30 Nov 2017 15:41:17 9,269 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    Hi all,

I've recently discovered how to run PS3 games on PC, and one of the titles that's supposedly easier to run is Demon's Souls. Unfortunately my aging machine can't run it smoothly enough, even at 720p (i7 4770k, 16GB Ram, GTX 970).

Has anyone with a decent PC tried to run it yet?
    I've got a Ryzen 1700X and a 970 GTX.

I'll try it again in a couple of days with the latest version and report back.
  • JonFE 1 Dec 2017 09:12:18 1,790 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Who wants to be the rookie / guinea pig?
    Last night I booted DeS for the first time in ages to check where my char stands and discovered (not to my surprise) that I barely remember anything (could not even find my spells inventory). So, thanks to my goldfish memory, I'll be more than happy to be your guinea pig, if no other takers volunteer :)
  • retro74 1 Dec 2017 13:32:24 2,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JonFE cool, what SL are you and have you done any levels yet?

We just need to get some volunteers to see you through as friendly summons and a couple of evil invader types and we are good to go
  • JonFE 1 Dec 2017 13:59:31 1,790 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @retro74 My char is 81 and at the start of NG+. I was under the impression that the party would all roll new characters, but I wouldn't mind this being a NG+ playthrough instead.

Edited by JonFE at 14:06:41 01-12-2017
  • retro74 1 Dec 2017 14:56:19 2,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JonFE Yeah probably best to all start afresh then, I assumed you had a character just starting out that would be ok to use

Not sure I remember correctly but I think you'd need to do 1-1 first and then summoning would be ok from then on
  • Fonzie 2 Dec 2017 21:29:15 3,149 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, I think you have to beat Phalanx before you can summon.

I think it would be best to start from scratch. Then everyone can try and stay the same level.
  • Lotos8ter 22 Dec 2017 08:47:13 2,554 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting a really bad itch to play this again after watching Epic's 100% play through on Youtube. He was farming for about 4 hours for pure bladestone and got nowt and on his next video he got one after about seven attempts. He then went back about 5 mins later and got another almost straight away. Watching all these World tendency events that I missed out on...damn

Need a PS3
  • quadfather 22 Dec 2017 09:15:52 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When do the servers go off again?

Shit, need to run through this again. I've got 3 hours left of work and then 2 weeks off...
  • Lotos8ter 22 Dec 2017 09:17:18 2,554 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Think its end of Feb 2018. Damn shame really
  • quadfather 22 Dec 2017 09:23:06 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Someone should host it, ala everquest / project1999
  • the_dudefather 11 Jan 2018 20:56:07 10,725 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Opened up my old save to see if I can finish this before the servers shut off

About level 26, royal, in the valley of defilement, surrounded by dead bugs

Last boss I beat was the armour spider, I got to adjudicator before but failed to kill it, no clue what's going on

Wondering where to go next, back to adjudicator or somewhere else...

Edited by the_dudefather at 20:56:30 11-01-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Jan 2018 20:59:26 3,050 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So with a Dark Souls remake on the way, what's holding up a new version of this?

My fear is it's the Sony exclusivity thing. The Dark Souls remake is being fired at every major gaming platform. A Demon's Souls one could presumably only be targetted at PS4 (and maybe PC, where Sony have previously shown some flexibility on console-exclusives). Perhaps for a title you'd expect to have mid-tier sales (as Soulslikes tend to), single platform exclusivity isn't commercially viable now?

Whatever it is, I wish they'd hurry up and sort it out.
  • GloatingSwine 11 Jan 2018 21:20:55 3,713 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be that the Dark Souls remake is mostly Namco Bandai squeezing some more pips from the orange and Sony aren't as desperate.

Anyway, reckon I'm going to reroll before the servers go away.
  • FrostPan 11 Jan 2018 21:34:45 1,453 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I started playing this late last year and haven't been back since. Need to finish it before the servers go away!
  • the_dudefather 12 Jan 2018 10:28:26 10,725 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beat Fools Idol last night, which must be one of the easier Souls bosses (the traps she set were very confusing at first though, didn't see them get set)

Going through the Prison of Hope was pretty atmospheric, especially since there are long stretches without any enemies, quite eerie

Think I'll go to Valley of defilement next, get the first stage of each area done at least before pushing on (maybe another go at Adjudicator)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 10:38:06 3,050 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tried to do one of those "before the servers go away" re-runs of this, but struggled with just how janky the tech is.

My first (and so far only) full playthrough of Demon's was in the immediate aftermath of my first playthrough and NG+ run of the first Dark Souls, when I was desperate for more of the same. I liked it, but didn't love it. Perhaps because of the order in which I played the games, it felt very much like a rough first draft to me, with Dark Souls being the finished product.

Would very, very much like a remake of this based on the same tech as the Dark Souls remaster, so I could play the two side by side without the fairly glaring technical differences and maybe get a more objective perspective on how they stack up next to each other in gameplay terms.
  • the_dudefather 12 Jan 2018 10:59:58 10,725 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would be nice to finish it as I managed to beat the Dark Souls trilogy and Bloodborne and jumping back in and going through a new area was fun

Having started this game before Dark Souls (I imported the US version of Demons after hearing so much buzz about the Japanese version) and going back after going through the couple of games they made after is quite a change, nice to see how they improved on some ideas while dumping others

Feel like I slightly understand how to play these games a bit more now too :D
  • OnlyJoeKing 12 Jan 2018 11:07:34 520 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bloody loved Demon's Souls. It was incredible to be so pleasantly surprised by a game, I'd read glowing reviews (like the excellent write up here on Eurogamer), but still had no real idea what it would be like. I completely fell for it, and was absolutely obsessed for a long time.

To be honest I'm not sure I'll ever have that feeling again, to be so completely taken by a new, unexpected game. So on reflection, even though it's a bit more rough round the edges than Dark Souls, I'd probably have this as my favourite game of all time.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:17:21 3,050 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing I think for most people who play the Souls games and don't bounce off them, the first one they play is always special to them. It was Dark 1 for me, Demon's for others. I know people who only found the series with Dark 2 and absolutely swear by that one (and in fairness, its Scholar of the First Sin version is awesome). Likewise those who started with Bloodborne will probably never be truly happen with a shield in their hand.

The only one of the From Software titles I couldn't see the case to rank top would be Dark 3, which I think is just objectively a little bit weaker than the other games (worse balance, less imaginative bosses and locations, mediocre DLC).
  • OnlyJoeKing 12 Jan 2018 11:26:27 520 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon yeah there's probably something in that! The element of surprise, as there's nothing else quite like it really, is probably a big factor.

Though I do think Dark Souls is the best of that particular trilogy. Such a memorable game.

I'd probably agree that DS3 is the weaker of the three, but I still really enjoyed it.

I agree too it would be interesting to see a remaster of Demon's Souls, to give it a proper like for like comparison. It will always have that 'first game' factor for me though.
  • Lotos8ter 12 Jan 2018 13:39:54 2,554 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon exactly same for me, Dark Souls 1 every time. I appreciate DeS and really, really like it and it has some amazing locations Latria, Boletaria but its not Lordran and Firelink and master key into Blightown special.
  • GarlVinland 12 Jan 2018 17:33:22 2,906 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played DeS first on Asian import, it's certainly the most bracing. The very first blue eyed knight in the tutorial was a kick up the backside, let alone the first red eye. It also has the strongest atmosphere, all overcast skies and an overwhelming sense of loneliness.

But DS1 had Solaire, so it will always be the best. \o/

Edited by GarlVinland at 17:33:34 12-01-2018
  • fiery_jackass 12 Jan 2018 17:52:24 1,048 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not for me. Demon's was my first and I loved it. Fell head over heels for dark souls though. It's my #1

Not sure what I'll get from the remaster, excited for it nevertheless
  • quadfather 12 Jan 2018 18:16:00 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Correct! All this fucking 'dark souls for me' bollocks. demons' atmosphere alone kicks the shit out of all of them.

Jesus Christ, you should all be hung.
  • the_dudefather 12 Jan 2018 21:28:18 10,725 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Adjudicator: down!
    Pile of leeches that throws balls of leeches: down!

Think the run to adjudicator put me off the last time, that bit with the gold skeletons and the flying stingrays was a bit tiring to get through every attempt (and finding the dark cramped area you fight the boss in a bit confusing)

Onto the second section of stonefang tunnel!
  • quadfather 12 Jan 2018 22:15:20 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @the_dudefather

There's a shortcut, but it's too late now.

Good luck in stonefang! It's not that bad really
  • quadfather 12 Jan 2018 22:16:20 30,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucks sake. I can feel another reoroll coming
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2018 22:46:12 14,787 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You have to remember when Demonís was released to know why it is special- there was nothing that felt like it to play at the time, both the brave level of skill they demanded for even the most minor progress and that twisted and opaque lore.
    While the Dark games might have bettered the mechanics of it I never lost myself in the worlds in quite the same way.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.