Star Trek Page 172

• Jyzzy-Z 12 Feb 2018 22:07:06 2,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Weird episode to end a weird series of a weird show. It's all over the place. If you didn't like that last 2 minutes though you must be pretty dead inside.

My series 1 review is thus: decent pilot, pretty awful first half of series, then it starts to get better but is still all over the place. Complete dogs dinner in a lot ways, but strangely watchable.

Has definite room for improvement and should be much better in season 2 hopefully.
  • Ford 12 Feb 2018 22:17:50 414 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    If you didn't like that last 2 minutes though you must be pretty dead inside.
    and/or you're not 12 years old
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Feb 2018 22:23:16 2,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's fucking Star Trek mate, not Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
  • Gaol 12 Feb 2018 22:30:40 3,336 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    So basically an episode of fan service and was entirely shite. The last five minutes are the cringiest five minutes of TV Iíve seen in years. Just utter utter shite. For shame if you enjoyed that just for the last ten seconds.

Iíd been quite enjoying the series but that last episode utterly shit the bed for me. Fuck. I was actually quite excited about it heading home from work too.
    Really, this.

Series was going really well until Lorca turned into Dr Evil. Still enjoyed it for the most part but the last episode has left a bad taste; a pity after so many good episodes leading up to the MU.
  • Lukus 12 Feb 2018 22:34:03 21,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That episode was very Mass Effect 2, if you know what I mean.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Feb 2018 22:47:32 6,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I dug it

I know it's not great but givenhow Trek usually wraps everything up it'd be hard to say this was any more a convenient short cut than any other story
  • RGeefe 12 Feb 2018 23:38:46 126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not gonna lie - hated it. Almost fell asleep half way through and the ending made me want to throw things. Just fan service guff.

I've been introducing the lady to the gloriousness that was DS9's Dominion War. It's just polar opposites to this show. Fleshed-out and likeable characters, meaningful development and believable actions.

In an era where fantastic TV is abundant, I was hoping that this would at least be able to hold its own from a storytelling perspective but this just smacks of mid 00s Lost or Heroes. Aimless shambles.
  • Inarticulate-Troll 12 Feb 2018 23:41:20 15 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Star Trek was shit until they made the films look like Star Wars with lens flare.

Deal with it.

If you disagree, feel free to fuck off to an alternative timeline where your opinion is still "canonical" if that makes you feel better.
  • Dirtbox 12 Feb 2018 23:56:54 90,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Not gonna lie - hated it. Almost fell asleep half way through and the ending made me want to throw things. Just fan service guff.

I've been introducing the lady to the gloriousness that was DS9's Dominion War. It's just polar opposites to this show. Fleshed-out and likeable characters, meaningful development and believable actions.

In an era where fantastic TV is abundant, I was hoping that this would at least be able to hold its own from a storytelling perspective but this just smacks of mid 00s Lost or Heroes. Aimless shambles.
    And yet as first seasons of trek go, it's probably at the top of the pile.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Feb 2018 03:18:45 2,539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didnt really get the episode. I like that they tried to make it about principles, but they probably needed a Picard or Janeway to sell it... hell, even a Sisko would have done it.

Still, great first series. With some rewatchability to notice the mirror Lorc hints!!! Hope they can settle into some ponderous episodes next time.
  • General_Martok 13 Feb 2018 08:19:27 407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That last bit had me!
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 08:26:07 32,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the finale was a bit uneven, and definitely not it's strongest episode by far. But I enjoyed it. Glad they more or less wrapped everything up to allow them to start something new next season with less behind the scenes mishaps.

Also, that final scene was awesome. I nearly cheered. And of course it was fan service to some degree, but it's Star Trek ffs.
  • JoelStinty 13 Feb 2018 08:49:24 6,314 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I thought the finale was a bit uneven, and definitely not it's strongest episode by far. But I enjoyed it. Glad they more or less wrapped everything up to allow them to start something new next season with less behind the scenes mishaps.

Also, that final scene was awesome. I nearly cheered. And of course it was fan service to some degree, but it's Star Trek ffs.
    Pretty much this. Episode was a bit uneven, but i thought by the time its ran its length it nicely capped everything off, and resolved it with typical Star Trek principles. The genoicde of Khronos i thought was a good endgame to end on and focused all what Star Trek was about. The only thing that really let the episode down aside from a bit of awkward pacing at the start was the resolution to the spoiler part. It just kind of happened in a flash without much foresight.

Enjoyed the series as a whole, it was fun, and as for it being star trek for a new age, it mostly hit all the right notes. It looked spectacular, all the verbal mumbo jumbo you could want, made the mirror universe actually something worth watching, and overall i enjoyed it a lot.

I am actually looking forward to whom the new captain will be, and what sort of person he/she will be.
  • RichDC 13 Feb 2018 09:00:03 7,701 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Meh. Finally scene felt like it was purely there to distract from how poor the rest of the episode had been. It was just a dull end to what has generally been a pretty good season. Looking forward to the next one though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Feb 2018 09:02:48 6,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Kronos stuff I really liked
    The speeches derailed things a bit
    Final scene was just a nice little send off
    Hopefully it doesn't feature too much next season
  • Bleh 13 Feb 2018 09:49:42 303 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The last episode summed up the show pretty good for me, mostly bad writing. Felt more like we slap the Star Trek name on it but piss on most of the lore. They might have been better of if it played way after Voyager but than they couldn't use the sentiment of the old show.
  • Razz 13 Feb 2018 10:09:11 63,439 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice pics of the last scene, one is my wallpaper already

https://imgur.com/gallery/jPV56

Wallpaper: https://i.imgur.com/ZOL2mys.jpg

Edited by Razz at 10:09:56 13-02-2018
  • wobbly_Bob 13 Feb 2018 10:18:14 4,450 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoyed the last episode and felt really star trecky. Can't help myself from really loving that end but. The while ending with Micheal and that last bit felt like the people working on the show declaring thier love and understanding of trek.

Season as a whole had been good with a few wobbles. Next season I would like to see more of the rest body the crew.
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Feb 2018 11:59:14 2,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This reflects my view almost entirely:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-wraps-up-a-wildly-uneven-first-sea-1822923909

And thatís it for season one of Star Trek: Discovery. Was it good? No, but it wasnít that bad either. But there was so, so much potential that ended up wasted.

The big problem is that the whole thing was clearly written and shot in one, frenetic session. No one stopped to work the kinks out.
    Wasn't brilliant or terrible, there are lots of issues, the writing is sloppy, but can be and should be better going forward.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 12:02:54 32,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the behind the scenes shake ups have done the show no favours. I'm really looking forward to them settling down and taking their time with season 2.

Apparently shooting starts in April and they've been working on it since last year. The theme is 'science versus faith'.
  • Dirtbox 13 Feb 2018 13:35:29 90,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hopefully the crew of the enterprise will be wearing the shitty polyester and nylon outfits from the original series with big nylon wigs and brylcreamed side partings.

I'm amazed none of them were electrocuted on set. They were like fucking lightening rods.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Feb 2018 13:48:12 7,514 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do wonder how or even if they're going to deal with the old nasty uniform thing. Personally I would have been fine with 'it was the 60s, get over it', but then they did show them again in DS9.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 13:49:06 32,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    This reflects my view almost entirely:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-wraps-up-a-wildly-uneven-first-sea-1822923909

And thatís it for season one of Star Trek: Discovery. Was it good? No, but it wasnít that bad either. But there was so, so much potential that ended up wasted.

The big problem is that the whole thing was clearly written and shot in one, frenetic session. No one stopped to work the kinks out.
    Wasn't brilliant or terrible, there are lots of issues, the writing is sloppy, but can be and should be better going forward.
    I have to say though, that io9's reviews of Discovery have been awful. Trendacosta rants about stuff with almost zero sense, it just screams that "this isn't the Trek I wanted, so I'm pissed off with it".

The review above has a rant about the Orions being portrayed as slavers/pirates despite that's exactly how they've always been portrayed.

She then goes on to moan about Discovery being a typical Trek show because it didn't do something radical to wrap up the episode.

She literally will get annoyed about Discovery changing something, then get annoyed if they stick to something typically Trek. The best example was her ranting each week about how Lorca wasn't proper Starfleet, then when he was revealed to be from the MU, ranting about how the showrunners didn't have the balls to stick to their guns and have him be a different kind of Starfleet officer. You can't win with her.

That and the constant "this just happened and it's ADORABLE" articles has really turned me off io9. I just saw an article going on about how Marvel dropped the ball with Black Panther by not having a gay character in it. Nevermind that it's the first superhero film with a pretty much all-black cast set in Africa. It's just clickbait bullshit with them now.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 13:50:14 32,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    I do wonder how or even if they're going to deal with the old nasty uniform thing. Personally I would have been fine with 'it was the 60s, get over it', but then they did show them again in DS9.
    I'm guessing they'll change the uniforms halfway through Discovery's run to the coloured ones. Like they did with DS9 when the First Contact movie uniforms came in.
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Feb 2018 13:51:50 2,908 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fair enough, I'm not familiar with the site or author. I just agreed with the broader points like the one I quoted. A lot of it seems reasonable to me and chimes with my reception of the show.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 13:56:31 32,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be fair to them, I do happen to agree with some of what she wrote this week. It's definitely an uneven episode and I was hoping for something with a little more punch, especially since the latter half of the show leading up to it was so good.

But yeah, she annoys the hell out of me so I find it hard to read her reviews without getting uppity. She also keeps saying that the reset button has been pushed, but I don't see how it has. The war is over, I guess, but we're in a pretty different place than we were at the start with various people dead, moved away, etc.
  • Dirtbox 13 Feb 2018 13:59:26 90,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    io9 has been laughably shit regarding discovery right from the very start, it's almost as if CBS had sued Gizmondo in the past or something and they're pumping out straight up hatchet jobs for the sake of it. Oh, wait.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:00:42 13-02-2018
  • Lukus 13 Feb 2018 14:17:36 21,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can someone clear something up for me (and this is possibly a stupid question) - the Klingon sleeper agent. What's the deal? Was it that they surgically manipulated a Klingon to look like a human and then transplanted the human memories into him? (This was my initial understanding of it.) Or, did they take a human, torture him physically and mentally and then implant the Klingon consciousness into him?

Like I say, I thought I got it, but then a couple of episodes later seemed to confuse it somewhat.
  • brokenkey 13 Feb 2018 14:30:40 9,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wondered the same thing - why did they shorten his bones?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Feb 2018 14:43:37 7,514 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Voq was surgically altered to appear human. Ash Tyler did exist at one point and was captured by the Klingons. His memories were transplanted into the now human looking Voq. Presumably they threw the real Tyler in the bin or feasted on his remains or some such.

brokenkey wrote:
    I wondered the same thing - why did they shorten his bones?
    I don't know about bones but I remember them saying shaved his fingers down, because the new Klingons have pointy fingers.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 14:45:35 13-02-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.