Star Trek Page 173

• CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 14:44:50 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was Voq that they surgically altered to look like Tyler. So that's why they shortened his bones etc, because he had to look human. Then they transferred the personality etc of Tyler (who they'd presumably captured) into Voq.

I'm guessing the original Tyler is dead after being tortured and having his personality removed. But maybe we'll see OG Tyler in season 2?! (Hey, everyone's got to have a doppleganger around these days!)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Feb 2018 14:46:38 7,515 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just got new paged.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 14:50:55 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Soz pal :(
  • brokenkey 13 Feb 2018 14:51:35 9,624 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Voq was surgically altered to appear human. Ash Tyler did exist at one point and was captured by the Klingons. His memories were transplanted into the now human looking Voq. Presumably they threw the real Tyler in the bin or feasted on his remains or some such.

brokenkey wrote:
    I wondered the same thing - why did they shorten his bones?
    I don't know about bones but I remember them saying shaved his fingers down, because the new Klingons have pointy fingers.
    If they've got mind transplanting sorted out, then it would have been less work, and less obvious to an investigating doctor if they'd transferred Voq's mind into Ash's body. They wouldn't have needed to so any surgery then.

You know, like how Spock transfered his life force in Search for Spock*.

*yes, I know it was Wrath of Khan, but the effects weren't obvious until SfS.

Edited by brokenkey at 14:52:57 13-02-2018
  • merk 13 Feb 2018 15:07:28 196 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Inarticulate-Troll wrote:
    Star Trek was shit until they made the films look like Star Wars with lens flare.

Deal with it.

If you disagree, feel free to fuck off to an alternative timeline where your opinion is still "canonical" if that makes you feel better.
    I suggest a rename to 'Ineffectual-Troll'

lol
  • Lukus 13 Feb 2018 15:15:14 21,224 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

It's Ok, I appreciated it ;)
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 15:23:35 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Voq was surgically altered to appear human. Ash Tyler did exist at one point and was captured by the Klingons. His memories were transplanted into the now human looking Voq. Presumably they threw the real Tyler in the bin or feasted on his remains or some such.

brokenkey wrote:
    I wondered the same thing - why did they shorten his bones?
    I don't know about bones but I remember them saying shaved his fingers down, because the new Klingons have pointy fingers.
    If they've got mind transplanting sorted out, then it would have been less work, and less obvious to an investigating doctor if they'd transferred Voq's mind into Ash's body. They wouldn't have needed to so any surgery then.

You know, like how Spock transfered his life force in Search for Spock*.

*yes, I know it was Wrath of Khan, but the effects weren't obvious until SfS.
    Maybe they'd butchered his body whilst capturing him or something. I dunno, it probably would make more sense to have done it the other way around.

Or maybe they can't transfer klingon personalities, only humans, because humans are WEAKER.
  • Razz 13 Feb 2018 15:32:24 63,439 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Klingons have two dicks, maybe they have two brains.
  • AcidSnake 13 Feb 2018 15:33:16 7,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keep the MU in mind as well, so potentially 4 doppelgangers for Tyler...
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 15:49:19 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, I'd love to see that in season 2 :D

TYLER WALKS ON SCREEN

Burnham: Which Tyler is this?

Tyler: Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh *drools*

Saru: It's the Tyler who had his mind removed to give to Voq!
  • brokenkey 13 Feb 2018 16:26:17 9,624 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    how come Michael didn't notice this?
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 16:28:07 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Because Voq had been surgically altered to look human.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Feb 2018 16:28:07 7,515 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    One presumes they took one of them off.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 16:28:26 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FUCK YOU BIGORKWAAAGH
  • brokenkey 13 Feb 2018 16:34:03 9,624 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Because Voq had been surgically altered to look human.
    ok - but when they had that body scan showing all the scar tissue, was there some around where his second dick should be? Can someone go back and check.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2018 16:42:29 32,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hang on I'll just pause it and zoom in on his dick

Hang on I'm looking

Hang on

There it is

Yeah there's some scar tissue around his dick
  • HoriZon 14 Feb 2018 01:11:54 14,141 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Show is missing Jason Isaacs already even if he did come back it will just be for one offs etc not a full time basis as a member of the crew.
  • Dirtbox 14 Feb 2018 01:42:30 90,306 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Unless that's who they're picking up from Vulcan.
  • Bambot 14 Feb 2018 09:14:12 1,155 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd really enjoyed almost all of this series, even the frankly utterly ridiculous, totally implausible (and really not very hard to understand at all, given that they literally spelled it out when it was revealed) transformation of a Klingon into a human.

But this episode was utter guff:
    - crammed a delicate mission into about twenty minutes
    - spent time making Georgio seem like she was going to double-cross them then nothing really happened
    - folded up an epic war that had threatened to take down the entire of Starfleet with one stupid speech that somehow satisfied every single rebellious Klingon family (okay I know it was more likely the threat of Kronos being blown up that did it, but the way they presented that, like it was appealing to their sense of self-preservation, was implausible)
    - bored the shit out of us with That Speech at Starfleet that just went on and on and who cares?
    - barrelled straight into a 'To Be Continued' that was felt obviously bolted-on to cover up what a rush job the previous 45 minutes had been

It lost my attention about ten minutes in tbh. So boring.
  • brokenkey 14 Feb 2018 09:17:36 9,624 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't get how giving the voice print control and detonator to the lady klingon got everyone back in line. Once she's unable to talk, the planet cant' blow up. Once the detonator is broken, the planet can't blow up. She's hardly got a strong negotiating hand.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Feb 2018 09:20:16 7,515 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe the drone/bomb talks to the pad, and if it can't it detonates. Maybe it requires a weekly authentication from L'Rell or it blows up.
  • Bambot 14 Feb 2018 09:22:52 1,155 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    I didn't get how giving the voice print control and detonator to the lady klingon got everyone back in line. Once she's unable to talk, the planet cant' blow up. Once the detonator is broken, the planet can't blow up. She's hardly got a strong negotiating hand.
    Ohhh, yeah. Didn't occur to me, I just figured there'd be a way to blow it up regardless of any attempts to stop her, hence they didn't waste time on showing anyone trying to stop her.

But yeah, the way they cut from her going "Imma blow you up unless you get it together and become one unit of Klingons (oh and also once you've done that stop fighting Starfleet, even though if you all join forces you'll actually become even more unstoppable than you already are, because the writers just want to get this over with)" straight to all the Klingon ships buggering off was laughably easy.

I'm sure I read that quite close to airtime CBS added a couple more episodes into the run, which seemed odd to me because surely the whole story had been written by then, how do you add stuff on? Did I misread? Or did they just move a couple of episodes from the second 'half' to the first 'half'?

Edit: was the latter - http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a839911/star-trek-discovery-airing-more-episodes-2017-cbs/

Edited by Bambot at 09:24:49 14-02-2018
  • PatrickEwing 14 Feb 2018 09:47:36 2,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I guess I must have enjoyed this for it to have held my interest, not often do I watch a whole series through.

I'm not a massive trek fan having only really watched TNG in the past and am aware of some brief history of the Kirk series but I don't know who Pike is, was he captain before Kirk on Enterprise, what's the brief summary of what happened to him?

/ could Google it I suppose.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Feb 2018 09:54:25 7,515 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PatrickEwing He was captain of the Enterprise before Kirk. He left and was horrifically injured and wheelchair bound before or during Kirk's command. Basically the whole crew of the Enterprise is different except Spock at this point afaik.
  • brokenkey 14 Feb 2018 10:06:16 9,624 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Maybe the drone/bomb talks to the pad, and if it can't it detonates. Maybe it requires a weekly authentication from L'Rell or it blows up.
    So if she dies unexpectedly (car accident, falling piano etc), the planet dies. That's not a fail-safe is it. I'd have expected the future to have better regard to health and safety principles.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Feb 2018 10:06:32 12,518 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @PatrickEwing

The first pilot of Star Trek, "The Cage", had a different crew (although Spock was there already), however it was rejected by the producer for being too intellectual and wasn't broadcast. But they made a second pilot (with the Kirk crew) which was accepted and serialised. Captain Pike made it into canon however and featured in a TOS episode.

20 years later that pilot was broadcast for the first time and is today part of TOS collections. It's also the first TOS episode on Netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cage_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)
  • PatrickEwing 14 Feb 2018 10:11:04 2,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cheers chaps. I see original is on netflix, think I'll definitely go for that now, no real idea why I've held off before.
  • DanB24 14 Feb 2018 10:13:06 5,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And Spock is a lieutenant who shouts alot.
  • ChocNut 14 Feb 2018 12:54:22 2,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wasn’t Pike also in the JJ Abrams Star Trek? I think they had him suffer and plonked in a wheelchair in that one too.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2018 13:04:57 31,947 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He was in Star Trek, able to walk most of the time but in a wheelchair at the end. He got better in Into Darkness so was striding about again, then he fell quite ill in a way wheelchairs can't really help.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.