Star Trek Page 174

• millerlfc 14 Feb 2018 14:42:31 563 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Maybe the drone/bomb talks to the pad, and if it can't it detonates. Maybe it requires a weekly authentication from L'Rell or it blows up.
    So if she dies unexpectedly (car accident, falling piano etc), the planet dies. That's not a fail-safe is it. I'd have expected the future to have better regard to health and safety principles.
    And if she eventually gets old and dies of natural causes (presumably deactivating the bomb before she dies) there's going to suddenly be a huge uprising as all the groups are finally free to do what they want again, or more likely fight it out for domination.

And what's to stop other Klingons dropping bombs in there and declaring everyone should listen to them, or they'll blow up the planet?

And how ethical is it exactly to install an all-powerful, un-elected individual to enforce their own beliefs on an entire species, especially when the entire basis of their position is based on the threat of mass genocide?

And what happens if just a few Klingons refuse to bow down to her, does she go ahead and blow up the planet? If she doesn't then everyone else will think she's bluffing.

The more you think about it, the more ridiculous it becomes.
  • breakablepants 14 Feb 2018 16:26:32 834 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:

I really didn't need to think about it much at all to find it ridiculous.

Shite ending to a series that started off really well :-(
  • Razz 16 Feb 2018 11:16:34 63,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The discovery books are cannon. I just finished it and there is a little Easter egg at the end.

Prime Lorca is still alive

Edited by Razz at 11:16:44 16-02-2018
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Feb 2018 11:43:36 32,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Maybe the drone/bomb talks to the pad, and if it can't it detonates. Maybe it requires a weekly authentication from L'Rell or it blows up.
    So if she dies unexpectedly (car accident, falling piano etc), the planet dies. That's not a fail-safe is it. I'd have expected the future to have better regard to health and safety principles.
    And if she eventually gets old and dies of natural causes (presumably deactivating the bomb before she dies) there's going to suddenly be a huge uprising as all the groups are finally free to do what they want again, or more likely fight it out for domination.

And what's to stop other Klingons dropping bombs in there and declaring everyone should listen to them, or they'll blow up the planet?

And how ethical is it exactly to install an all-powerful, un-elected individual to enforce their own beliefs on an entire species, especially when the entire basis of their position is based on the threat of mass genocide?

And what happens if just a few Klingons refuse to bow down to her, does she go ahead and blow up the planet? If she doesn't then everyone else will think she's bluffing.

I guess the hope is that she brings them all together and then she doesn't need the bomb anymore. I don't think it's meant to be a long term solution.
  • bad09 16 Feb 2018 12:04:51 8,260 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the hell happened to the anthology stuff where they were going to do different eras and shows? I've just read they are doing season 2 of the depressing drivel of Discovery :(

Oh well got The Orville season 2 to look forward to, finally finished watching season 1 the other day and while a comedy parody I can really see why people claim it is a better Trek than Trek at the moment :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2018 12:14:13 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    millerlfc wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:

I guess the hope is that she brings them all together and then she doesn't need the bomb anymore. I don't think it's meant to be a long term solution.
    It's classic TNG to come up with a short term peaceful solution then fly off before anyone starts asking difficult questions
  • nickthegun 16 Feb 2018 12:17:45 73,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They probably didn't labour the point as, because it's a prequel, everyone watching knows full well it didn't ever blow up and everything kind of works out in the end.

I'm glad they stuck Clint Howard in there and got Tilly high because for a 'caper' episode there was absolutely no tension.
  • DanB24 16 Feb 2018 16:46:16 5,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was suitably impressed by all the gratuitous Tilly cleavage. :lol:
  • YenRug 16 Feb 2018 22:56:05 4,540 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I'm glad they stuck Clint Howard in there and got Tilly high because for a 'caper' episode there was absolutely no tension.
    Hey, it's Star Trek, it's why he was trying to cut the manacle off rather than her hand.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Feb 2018 16:53:16 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Picking up my DS9 watch that got stalled early in season 7

Is The Siege of AR-558 the most intense battle/representation of war in a Trek TV show?

Raymond Cruz and the others stationed out there are all chewing the scenery with intensity compared to the usual cosiness of the 90s series. Quark manages some real pathos in his fear and horror - and expressed almost solely through his eyes - as the Jem Hadar storm the camp.

If it wasn't for the relative safety of the bubble episode format you'd really expect this to be an episode that cost Sisko lives.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 16:53:27 19-02-2018
  • DanB24 19 Feb 2018 17:56:28 5,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It almost certainly is yes.
    It does highlight the age old phaser power problem though. In that they are rarely if ever used properly to vaporise the bad guys with one shot.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Feb 2018 22:20:03 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Watching the follow up with Nog's PTSD now. I'd forgotten there were so many Vic Fontaine episodes.

Phasers seem capable of all sorts of great tricks until actual combat happens. Not that there's a lot of dangerous combat for a sector-wide war.
  • null 22 Feb 2018 22:21:55 1,095 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    is it wrong that I prefer watching The Orville
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Feb 2018 22:24:35 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To Discovery or Trek in general?
  • null 22 Feb 2018 22:25:44 1,095 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    certainly discovery, voyager, enterprise
  • GrandpaUlrira 22 Feb 2018 22:35:28 3,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not really. I don't even like Seth MacFarlane shows, and I'm enjoying it. It scratches the itch for a TNG-type show. I wish they could do away with the pop culture references, but the rest of it is solid stuff, and nails a lot of Trek stuff that Discovery gets wrong, with some good sci-fi concepts and self-contained shows. It is a comfort show.

I started to enjoy Discovery as well, but it feels too try hard at times. "This ain't your daddy's Trek." The galaxy can feel a little small, and characters often seem to exist to service to plot rather than act as consistent people. They also passed up some interesting character possibilities with Lorca to paint him as a more typical villain, which was a shame.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Feb 2018 22:36:17 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DS9 and TNG both have plenty of fun in them compared to those three being relentlessly serious season after season
  • DrStrangelove 22 Feb 2018 22:49:09 12,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't watched Orville, but it's better than Discovery
  • DrStrangelove 22 Feb 2018 22:52:10 12,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Phasers seem capable of all sorts of great tricks until actual combat happens. Not that there's a lot of dangerous combat for a sector-wide war.
    It doesn't really matter because the Cardassians have no idea those weapons can shoot, they'll just use them as clubs
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Feb 2018 00:09:51 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jem Hadar are awfully soft for clone soldiers bred to kill and conquer
  • SuperSoupy 23 Feb 2018 09:38:03 56 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No Orville for me, thanks.

Seth Mcfarlane should be heard, not seen.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Feb 2018 09:40:41 6,456 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd be a lot more into Orville if it wasn't for his Macfarlane-isms in the writing and his acting.

Although I admit they might not be quite the roadblock if I was so aware it is him.

It's still 100% the best show or movie he's been behind.
  • robthehermit 23 Feb 2018 10:04:59 6,518 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Orville is Mrs Hermits favourite Star Trek.
  • YenRug 23 Feb 2018 13:41:22 4,540 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SuperSoupy Actually, it's surprising how little he features in it after the first few episodes, most of them focus on the various members of the crew with Seth only appearing to pass comment on the situation they've found themselves in.
  • LittleSparra 23 Feb 2018 14:00:31 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Clem Fandango in Star Trek, well I never.
  • Razz 23 Feb 2018 20:04:02 63,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm beginning to wonder if the Enterprise 1701-J had a spore drive. Didn't the saucer section rotate?
  • Jyzzy-Z 23 Feb 2018 20:07:24 2,908 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Give the writers of Enterprise some credit. Even they're not stupid enough to come up with that.
  • RichieTenenbaum 23 Feb 2018 22:00:30 2,742 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really think the writers watched the wrong mid 00s s I fi show. Instead of trying to make BSG Star Trek, they should have tried to make Firefly Star Trek
  • AcidSnake 23 Feb 2018 22:12:55 7,930 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RichieTenenbaum:
    Being part of a federation wasn't exactly what Firefly was about :)

Cue Stamets singing to himself "There's no place, I can't be, since I found Discovery"
  • Psychotext 24 Feb 2018 11:17:49 62,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SuperSoupy wrote:
    No Orville for me, thanks.

Seth Mcfarlane should be heard, not seen.
    I agree with that. That said, I watched it last night and it's harmless fun.

Not really sure they should try and take on "societal issues" though. They're a bit out of their depth there.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.