Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Hopefully we’ll get some tin whistle.
    Favorite Trek episode.
  • Load_2.0 5 Aug 2018 13:21:58 28,010 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll be severely disappointed if it doesn't feature some Picard flute jam sessions.
  • Technoishmatt 5 Aug 2018 13:33:56 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Problem w Q is that he will have aged - surely Q doesnt? Would have to CGI a young Q.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Aug 2018 13:51:08 2,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    He aged badly after losing his daughter and then the plane crash he created at work
  • thelzdking 5 Aug 2018 13:57:28 8,560 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Problem w Q is that he will have aged - surely Q doesnt? Would have to CGI a young Q.
    Nah, Q could just spin some silly bullshit to Picard saying that he's manifesting himself in aged form because he knows it'll rile him up or something.
  • Dirtbox 5 Aug 2018 14:16:34 90,864 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He'd probably have a sense of continuum for humans, and grow old with the ones he comes into frequent contact with. He sort of wants to fit in, hence the uniform and so on.
  • DrStrangelove 6 Aug 2018 00:12:48 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They replaced Klingons with orcs and you're wondering how they're going to make sense of Q's aging?
  • Jyzzy-Z 6 Aug 2018 05:55:41 3,489 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Klingons really weren't that bad. What could they do? Have the Cornish pasty heads and be a laughing stock or leave them out completely like JJ did. He was so embarrassed by them he put a mask on them all.
  • DrStrangelove 6 Aug 2018 06:05:31 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No matter if it was a good or bad choice, how would explaining Q's age be a problem compared to that?
  • RGeefe 6 Aug 2018 08:11:15 173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually think a good way to do it is to have Q introduced as a different character. Just have John De Lancie be introduced to Picard as "Professor of stellar cartography" or something, allowing Picard to lose his shit in front of everyone, with Q just staring blankly, forcing Picard to accept defeat.

Then when the coast is clear he just does his old "mon capitan, how lovely it is to see you and I thought this new look would remind you of how your old pal Riker let himself go"
  • DarmokJalad 6 Aug 2018 09:06:30 63,616 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago

https://youtu.be/gEdyde0QGZQ

Edited by Razz at 10:31:56 06-08-2018
  • frightlever 7 Aug 2018 11:10:31 1,413 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    The Klingons really weren't that bad. What could they do? Have the Cornish pasty heads and be a laughing stock or leave them out completely like JJ did. He was so embarrassed by them he put a mask on them all.
    I dunno. I guess I've grown up with every incarnation of the Klingons and never had a problem with the TNG onwards version that was in TNG and DS9 and more or less unchanged in Enterprise.

The TOS Klingons were hand-waved away in TNG.

But, critically, the multiple Discovery spin-offs that are being discussed won't be able to have a Klingon spin-off, because they've made the Klingons too weird to identify with.

There was always rumbles about a more adult-focused Klingon show around the time Enterprise was on air, but I can't see that happening now. Maybe in the Picard timeline.

A Michelle Yeoh (who is the evil dimension version remember) show would be a decent alternative.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Aug 2018 14:12:16 32,360 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Costume guy was talking about designing Klingons at the Trek con in Vegas over the weekend. Heavily hinted that different houses would look different, and that the Klingon's we've seen may have shaved their heads bald on the basis of Kahless's story of creating a batleth by dipping his hair into the lava pool or whatever.

Clearly Fuller's instructions were "change the Klingons" but people really didn't like them and they're looking for ways to walk back a little. I reckon we'll see non-bald Klingon's in season 2.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2018 14:34:39 75,304 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They are the daleks of star trek, the benchmark of how strong something is because it can kick their heads in.

And after years and years of getting clowned by everyone, they either need reinventing or another race filling in for them, which is impossible as they are so popular.

So you're stuck in the impossible position of the fan favourite, toughest race in the show being absolute pussies.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Aug 2018 14:49:27 32,360 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I'd be happy for them to take a back seat in season 2. I know we're going to see more of them, but keep them as a political threat and not the big bad of the season.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Aug 2018 15:06:30 2,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Fuck that, time for hybrid Borgons
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Aug 2018 19:45:28 7,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My head canon reason for the changing Klingon appearance is to ignore it and just assume that the improvements in special effects and make up techniques are to blame
  • DrStrangelove 8 Aug 2018 18:01:06 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite moment of season 4

• Dirtbox 8 Aug 2018 18:42:05 90,864 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    My head canon reason for the changing Klingon appearance is to ignore it and just assume that the improvements in special effects and make up techniques are to blame
    It's not like they haven't changed twice already and frankly ditching the horribly dated 80s hair metal roadies look is welcome.
  • DrStrangelove 8 Aug 2018 19:33:02 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having TNG Klingons in 2017 would have been anachronistic, yet I still don't understand the reasoning behind the decision to replace something with something even worse.
  • gammonbanter 8 Aug 2018 19:37:37 1,708 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And Enterprise did such a good job of explaining the difference in appearance between TOS and TNG, only for Discovery to throw a spanner in the works!! Or have they?.......They could write of the Klingon strange look in STD season 1 as part of the transition back to how they originally looked?!
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Aug 2018 19:52:49 2,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I heard the theme tune is coming back but is being refreshed by Russell Watson using a kazoo
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Aug 2018 19:55:03 2,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Fuck me, of course that's already a thing as everything is already on the internet

https://youtu.be/_uEy52rZAh8
  • DrStrangelove 8 Aug 2018 20:23:28 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    And Enterprise did such a good job of explaining the difference in appearance between TOS and TNG
    What?? That was a tragic, direful answer to a question nobody had really asked. It was the worst sin of ENT, even worse than its shameful last episode.

edit: yeah, guess you were being ironic.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:25:26 08-08-2018
  • gammonbanter 8 Aug 2018 23:44:13 1,708 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    And Enterprise did such a good job of explaining the difference in appearance between TOS and TNG
    What?? That was a tragic, direful answer to a question nobody had really asked. It was the worst sin of ENT, even worse than its shameful last episode.

edit: yeah, guess you were being ironic.
    It's like that scene in Father Ted where he tries to fix one dent with a little tap and then creates another 2 dents!

I've know that there is a (book cannon) reason why the bridge of TOS looks like a cheap 60s TV set and I've managed to avoid it so far!
  • DrStrangelove 8 Aug 2018 23:58:00 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They should explain why most planets were covered in green and purple styrofoam in the late 2260s, or just fuck off with all that shit.

Seriously, I never understood those Trekkies who attempt to make it all, the entire timeline with all series and episodes, somehow consistent and logical, when most episodes struggle to make any sense within themselves.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:07:45 09-08-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 00:12:09 7,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the best in show explanation was Worf winking at the audience and saying "we don't like to talk about it"

It's not a question that needs an answer same as no one really needs an answer why Discovery has some more advanced tech than the shows set decades further into the future
  • DrStrangelove 9 Aug 2018 17:45:21 13,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fully agree with all of that.
  • DarmokJalad 9 Aug 2018 23:32:41 63,616 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This is amazing, scene from Discovery with TOS music remixed into it, epsecially love the credits!!

https://streamable.com/svm3h
  • Stuz359 9 Aug 2018 23:52:43 121 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I noticed something in discovery the other day while I was rewatching it. Lorna at one point was mentioning great physicists/inventors and he mentioned elon musk in there. In the star trek timeline, the third world war was in the 1990's.

I don't really care but it is kind of jarring, not going to write an angry fan letter, but try to be consistent in the same universe.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.