Star Trek Page 188

• Dirtbox 13 Dec 2018 13:16:42 90,932 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The books are all shit.

They're set between episodes so every single one jumps the shark in terms of heroics and stretching plausibility and then smashes the reset button to do it all over again in the next book in the ~3 days remaining between the last book and the next episode.

They're pretty much pointless.
    This couldn't be more wrong now. They relaunched all the books, they're set post-Nemesis/DS9/Voyager etc. They tell large stories that span each series, and often they crossover with each other.

No reset button to stop continuity errors anymore. Doesn't stop most of them from being pretty average, but like I said above, the Destiny trilogy deals with a massive Borg war and is really great. And the Voyager relaunch stuff is fantastic.
    So avoid the 250+ books that came out prior to a few years ago? lol
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Dec 2018 15:37:15 32,539 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ha, yeah pretty much!
  • jrmat 14 Dec 2018 20:11:07 30 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Have to say I'm enjoying Rogue, section 31 book. Set just before first contact in terms of chronology. Am about 10-20% of the way through it. I'm taking my time with it to try and wallow in it and make the most of it.

Have listened to a few reviews and a lot of the books are seen as being poor. I listened to one deep space 9 book which was a reset button at the end and everything goes magically back to the beginning which was rather disappointing, and the overall plot was rather weak, but I still enjoyed inhabiting the ds9 world again for a while.
  • Dirtbox 14 Dec 2018 23:15:37 90,932 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aside from Robinson's book based around the episode Cardassians, the only book I really enjoyed was The Hologram's Handbook by Voyager's doctor (written in character by Picardo). It's going for a princely sum these days, but I managed to snag one for a few bucks from a local bookstore.
  • thelzdking 14 Dec 2018 23:32:11 8,828 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the Garak one is top. A Stitch in Time?
  • jrmat 21 Dec 2018 17:16:00 30 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Am rewatching series 2 of TNG. Otherwise I've barely watched an episode since they were originally on TV, I don't tend to rewatch stuff. Had forgotten how good it is, even season 2. Saw Measure of a man today, terrific stuff.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Dec 2018 17:19:10 32,539 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah that's a great episode. I rewatched it all a while back, and found that I enjoyed season 2 a lot more than I remembered. Season 3 was a bit worse actually. Although it does have BOBW, which is utterly fantastic.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Dec 2018 17:57:08 13,425 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Season 2 still had a lot of junk, but it had some brilliant stuff as well. I rated it lower than S3 (iirc a long drought until it gets great towards the end), but slightly higher than S5 which was just middling almost all the time.

edit: drought. Not draught.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:58:10 21-12-2018
  • jrmat 21 Dec 2018 19:26:11 30 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    There's a week old discovery 2nd season trailer up on YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/OQk2hGNv4Ow

The production values look incredible, I just hope the rest lives up to it. Season 1 had its moments but I didn't warm to it. Good to see Michelle yeoh back, I thought she was decent in the first one, although Mr Isaacs stole alot of the scenes and acted fantastically.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Dec 2018 21:55:25 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeeeah boi
  • DarmokJalad 29 Dec 2018 18:05:34 63,617 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
  • jrmat 29 Dec 2018 19:49:54 30 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    DarmokJalad wrote:
    :-)
  • JoelStinty 29 Dec 2018 20:55:00 7,131 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was reading about the real life inspiration for Jean Luc Picardís character today. Inspired by a family (Piccards) who once had held the record for the lowest and highest heights a human has reached. Auguste Piccard also invented the first ballon to reach the stratosphere. That was all decades ago, but a few years back Betrand Picard was the first person to fly around the world non stop in a solar powered plane.
  • Razz 30 Dec 2018 20:58:13 555 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When Ash Tyler, Captain Lorca and Harry Mudd were locked in a Klingon dungeon, did you ever imagine that Harry Mudd was the most trustworthy of the three?
  • JoelStinty 31 Dec 2018 20:37:48 7,131 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think he might turn that on its head in the new season.

I just got to the episode in TNG where Fanke Jansen prepares for X men has a slut sex mutant. Riker straight in there.
  • Razz 6 Jan 2019 08:42:48 555 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    New Short was really good, but I'm ready for a full series now. I'm done with these little teasers.
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 09:28:16 3,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Watched 2 of these shorts so far. I think they're better than anything in Series 1.
  • elhozzo 7 Jan 2019 10:19:57 441 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    are they on netflix?
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 10:46:53 3,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @elhozzo sadly not in the UK. Don't think they're available at all in the UK legally.

I had to go on dailymotion and watch some horrible 480p version. Didn't mind that much as they're only 15 minutes long.

Best bet is probably to torrent them.

GGs Netflix and CBS.
  • bad09 7 Jan 2019 10:59:52 8,640 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really Neflix's fault. Apparently after the terrible viewing figures for season 1 Netflix just didn't want the shorts and neither did anyone else.

Only reason Netflix is screening season 2 of Discovery is a massively knocked down price on what they paid for season 1. Don't expect a 3rd season of Discovery....
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 11:09:05 3,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Judging by the trailer for S2, I wouldn't be that arsed if S3 never happened.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Jan 2019 11:34:28 32,539 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eh, I thought the viewing figures for Discovery were great? In US at least. Where did you read that Netflix figures were poor?

I find it hard to believe CBS would be going ahead with Picard show, animated show and the rest if Discovery was on the verge of cancellation!
  • bad09 7 Jan 2019 11:56:04 8,640 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

http://www.nscreenmedia.com/cbs-all-access-star-trek-discovery-growth-slows/

Although no exact figure are given for all access it is likely the worst viewing figures of all the Treks, even Enterprise.

Discovery wasn't the big pull CBS wanted for all access, season 2 got reworked and people were fired, Neflix paid a lot less for season 2 and said no to the shorts. It's really not looking great Discovery.

Picard is a bid to get Trek back on track (there's a reason they are doing a series around the iconic Captain :) ) and it will probably replace Discovery as their main Trek series on all access once it hits.
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 12:00:31 3,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My two pence worth:

I think they wanted Discovery to be a massive hit (which seems unrealistic considering how fragmented TV audiences are nowadays). There's a new audience thanks to the reboot films, nerdy sci-fi and fantasy stuff is at an absolute premium now with Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Marvel movies etc. So they took out all the nerdy Star Trek stuff and replaced it with all the things young people seem to pay money for nowadays, which is fair enough.

There were about 2 'Star Trek' episodes in the whole of it, the rest of it was derived from the aforementioned films and shows. Shooty bang bang, shagging, murder, swearing, action, violence but with a 2 minute speech at the end of the series about how the federation is great and lovely because one of the writers must have seen the Star Trek logo on their way to the writers room that day and remembered it needs something aspiration in it.

I mainly thought it was a bit crap because it was lacking in characters, but was happy if people were watching it and enjoying it as it might lead to something like the Picard one, which initially sounds promising (though I'm sure Kurtzman will fuck it up). So it's a bit worrying if Netflix isn't arsed and the ratings are poor.

This is all just opinion. I've not been following production of the show or ratings and I watched most of season one while reading other stuff on my phone as I found it pretty dull.

Generally, I can't help but feel that young people would really like Star Trek as its purest, especially in these very divided times. It would be great for people to realise it's not all shite.

But CBS is giving them more misery and fighting instead. It's a missed opportunity that I hope the Picard show will address.

The season 2 trailer looked absolutely terrible. Dragging up TOS characters and the Enterprise for an entire season shows exactly how weak this show is because it can't stand on it's own two feet.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 12:07:45 07-01-2019
  • JoelStinty 7 Jan 2019 12:09:42 7,131 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The reason why CBS figures were 'poor' (if they are) because people watched it on a platform that more people had. Neflix. I don't think its a knock on Discovery. Its figures on Netflix I would imagine are quite high.

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:21:44 07-01-2019
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Jan 2019 12:20:56 32,539 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @bad09 It may well have less viewers than Enterprise, but there's no point in trying to make a comparison because it isn't fair. Enterprise launched on typical channel with massive potential etc. Discovery launched on a platform with an already tiny viewership, and asked people to pay an additional monthly fee to watch it.

Of course the viewing figures are going to be smaller. The potential audience is smaller. CBS All Access just isn't anywhere near as big as UPN or whatever was. It's not about viewing figures, it's about getting people to sign up to AA.

That article was written in Jan 2018, when Discovery was halfway through its run. When it launched, Discovery gave CBS AA their highest ever sign up numbers. Season 2 wasn't reworked because of viewing figures, the showrunners were fired because they were bullying staff members and routinely going over budget.

I honestly can't find any information that says Netflix paid a lot less for season 2? From what I can read, Netflix will have paid for a number of seasons at once. I don't think they do it one at a time.

As for Picard, I'll be amazed if it's not a one season only "event" type show. Can't see Stewart doing it every week for another seven years or whatever.
  • Rivuzu 7 Jan 2019 12:22:19 17,659 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked Discovery.

I genuinely dislike older Star Trek.

Make of that what you will.

/part of the problem
  • JoelStinty 7 Jan 2019 12:22:47 7,131 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    @bad09 It may well have less viewers than Enterprise, but there's no point in trying to make a comparison because it isn't fair. Enterprise launched on typical channel with massive potential etc. Discovery launched on a platform with an already tiny viewership, and asked people to pay an additional monthly fee to watch it.

Of course the viewing figures are going to be smaller. The potential audience is smaller. CBS All Access just isn't anywhere near as big as UPN or whatever was. It's not about viewing figures, it's about getting people to sign up to AA.

That article was written in Jan 2018, when Discovery was halfway through its run. When it launched, Discovery gave CBS AA their highest ever sign up numbers. Season 2 wasn't reworked because of viewing figures, the showrunners were fired because they were bullying staff members and routinely going over budget.

I honestly can't find any information that says Netflix paid a lot less for season 2? From what I can read, Netflix will have paid for a number of seasons at once. I don't think they do it one at a time.

As for Picard, I'll be amazed if it's not a one season only "event" type show. Can't see Stewart doing it every week for another seven years or whatever.
    Yeah I can't find any information on it either. I watched a little bit of that video and it seems that its a bit of 2+2=5. There is no data but..... Sorry Bad! Just a little wary of youtube videos especially on how ridiculous many videos are when it comes to geek culture, especially on shows or films that a small vocal minority hate and will see anything in anything to reinforce their views.

I mean, I can't even have a discussion about The last Jedi with out the same bits being repeated and repeated as though everyone watched the same Youtube video on why they hate it.

If the viewership was that bad, given the brand identity I think there be more of a fuss about it. This is the first I've heard of it.

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:23:58 07-01-2019
  • nickthegun 7 Jan 2019 12:24:36 76,218 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suppose it depends which lens you watch it through. The RLM guys clearly can't help but contrast everything with TNG which is fine but it sucks every possible bit of joy out of it.

I just watch it as a scifi and since genre shows are lacking at the moment, I'm glad it's getting made. It's a crap Star Trek show, but it's decent enough science fiction.
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 12:28:47 3,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I liked Discovery.

I genuinely dislike older Star Trek.

Make of that what you will.

/part of the problem
    Part of the solution really. The show/series needs new viewers. Older Trek is definitely not for everyone.

I do think there's a definite middle ground here somewhere and it would make for much better shows and films.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.