Following Star Trek Page 191

• Deleted user 18 January 2019 22:29:37
    Edgy
  • Deleted user 18 January 2019 22:30:41
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    What's the verdict on episode 1 then?

Loads of fan service and explosions?

Even a hint of sci-fi in it apart from the sets and CGI?
    Fan service, Star Wars-style space flyer thingy stuff, not a lot of sci-fi, a few nice character moments but otherwise nothing of interest happening. I think it didn't have really awful scenes like most of season 1 though, which is a start.
    Aye expected.

Not bothering with it. I'll wait to see how they ruin Picard.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 00:02:22 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lots of action and explosions for the modern fan and hints at a deeper sci-fi mystery for the nerds.

I have a feeling that we might see Spock turn out to be some kind of space Jesus in the series finale

I dug it.

And a nice cameo from Tig Notaro too.
  • ChiefGB 19 Jan 2019 01:20:09 11,715 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought it was fun enough, but is pike like the dumbest captain ever, heís like err can someone else come up with a plan and then heís great idea letís do that. And of course they potentially sacrifice the whole ship, crew and people they were trying to rescue trying to beam them up with no shields in the middle of a meteor storm or whatever.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 11:23:59 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair sending the most senior crew members on a potential no return mission while taking a ridiculous risk and endangering the ship and entire crew is pretty much a textbook away mission for any Starfleet vessel.

I like that we're getting some more of the bridge crew talking.

There is an air of the Zapp Branningans about Pike's approach to leadership but I'm sure he'll turn out to be a real Right Stuff kind of guy.

I hope we've left the mirror universe stuff behind for this season.

Also, interesting that Enterprise missed the entire war because they were out on another 5 year mission. I suppose it gives us an explanation why it wasn't at the centre of winning the war in the first season like you'd expect of the best and most legendary ship in the fleet. Unlike during the Dominion War where it they had to retcon a diplomatic mission which was never once mentioned in DS9 during live front line operations.
  • bone-on 19 Jan 2019 11:59:04 439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the new trek. I gave the first series a solid 7/10.

This new episode suffered with the same problem as most of season 1 in that they tried to cram too much into an hour and just rushed through the whole thing to advance the plot. But they have certainly upped teh FX budget it looks stunning at times.

Saru is still a great character and Captain Pike shows promise. Quite liking the fact pike is a bit of a thicko brick amongst all the super smarts.

Michael's Vulcan upbringing is still being hammered over our heads with painful flash backs and as a character lead I'm still on the fence with her.

This brings me to the series biggest problem character in that Tilly is still as annoying as fuck and her comedy Kitsch is just jarringly out of place. She needs to take a full phaser blast to the face pronto. Every scene she pollutes is just pure cringe.

My fave character from season 1 was Captain Lorca but so far the addition of Pike means hopefully I wont miss him too much.

A solid start setting us up for the next 12 episodes.

Edited by bone-on at 12:00:44 19-01-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 13:40:17 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope Tilly starts a penpal romance with a mystery starfleet officer and in an epilogue to the season finale it turns out that the penpal's name is Barclay
  • DrStrangelove 19 Jan 2019 14:42:32 14,727 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That'd be a time-travel penpal romance though, but then I'm sure they'd somehow retcon some dumbass "explanation" into it again
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Jan 2019 15:03:41 6,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    -snot jokes, what is this, The Orville ?
    -colour co-ordinated metallic spandex. Ok. What next, pod racers ? Oh.
    -red shirt trope undermined by smartarse comeuppance trope. Sigh.
    -marooned engineer would've been more fun if she wasn't so damn flat in delivery.
    -AN ACTUAL REFERENCE IN PLAIN BLACK TEXT ON WHITE PAPER WINK WINK.

Jesus. Looks stunning, somehow even worse in terms of writing. I get it's perhaps a 'fresh start' angle they've gone for after the mixed reception of S1, but there's the lingering stench of Kelvin Trek all over this - feels more like a dumbed down movie than a TV show with y'know, characters and development.

And yes, Tilly is still as annoying as ever.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 15:22:03 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    That'd be a time-travel penpal romance though, but then I'm sure they'd somehow retcon some dumbass "explanation" into it again
    Space Gran
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 15:22:34 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    #TeamTilly
  • the11thdoctor 19 Jan 2019 16:55:54 14 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Easily. Some outstanding episodes accross both of those seasons.
  • JoelStinty 19 Jan 2019 20:05:54 8,312 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked it, albeit it is super exhausting to watch. Went along at warp 9. Hopefully they can slow it down a bit and some more sci-fi will start to come through.

Also #teamlilly.

And it had a good yoga joke.
  • Globalmeltdown 19 Jan 2019 21:31:14 759 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also like Tilly but not a fan of Lilly 😀
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jan 2019 21:48:20 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lilly is the name tumblr users give to their slash fic about Lore travelling back in time to board Discovery
  • JoelStinty 19 Jan 2019 22:00:02 8,312 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    I also like Tilly but not a fan of Lilly 😀
    Curse Autocorrect!
  • jrmat 20 Jan 2019 09:53:41 124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't remember who is was with but in an interview with one of the producers of the 90s treks they mentioned they went out of the way to make it as believable as possible, as soon as you break it the whole show becomes unbelievable and a farce. This is my feeling with Discovery, I just find it far fetched, basically all the things wrong with it people have already pointed out. It's enjoyable to watch but I don't find the characters real of engaging, I don't care about any of them. I quite like Michael, but the character is barely strong enough to carry the show without a stronger supporting cast. Other than Saru they're all a bit crap.
  • challenge_hanukkah 20 Jan 2019 10:00:44 11,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you think Michael could freeze a blaster bolt though?
  • DrStrangelove 20 Jan 2019 11:32:20 14,727 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would she carve a smiley into the smoke of an exploding warp core?
  • Dirtbox 20 Jan 2019 18:03:06 91,210 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tilly is basically Neelix with no one to troll.
  • RGeefe 20 Jan 2019 19:36:36 463 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched the shorts, ahead of the new ep. In my eyes they are far superior to the series and I find that rather sad. Even the Tilly one made me appreciate her more.

It's almost as if the writers were told "don't rely on CGI and it must contain some element of character development"....
  • DrStrangelove 20 Jan 2019 19:43:52 14,727 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched DS9's "Statistical Probabilities". Yeah, DS9 didn't only do some of the best, it also did the worst episodes in the history of Star Trek.
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2019 20:42:20 32,585 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched new episode of Discovery. Really enjoyed it tbh! Thought it was a good step up from last season. Felt more Trek to me - bridge discussions, crew working together, science stuff etc. Pike is great and I loved the asteroid bit even though it's very Kelvin-y.

Didn't think it was too fast paced myself. Liked the Burnham/Sarek stuff too, which I wasn't sure about last season.

Very much looking forward to where it goes next.

Also watched the Short Treks. Runaway was a bit meh but rest were good I thought.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Jan 2019 21:02:16 11,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Part of me wishes they'd had the confidence to do Michael without Spock. She's a strong character and the Sarek connection could have been established without trying to tie her more closely to the established canon.
  • RGeefe 20 Jan 2019 23:38:34 463 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    just watched the first ep. definitely a big step up in terms of quality. the new McCoy engineer woman was brill and will likely become a more important character going forward.

Pike was good and the nod to the cage was not needed but got a chuckle out of me. I get why they're doing it and I think it works. the asteroid bit was silly and far too action-oriented for me but I get why it's needed in 2019.

still hate Michael and think she's the worst character of the show. she just grates me. how she is the lead I'll never know. not looking forward to seeing Spock either.

cautiously optimistic.

though if these red clouds turn out to be a bastard race we've never seen before I will throw up on my TV. we're too close to TOS at this point to be dropping shit in there.
  • Dizzy 21 Jan 2019 08:25:40 3,711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nod to the cage
    What? I missed that.
  • captbirdseye 21 Jan 2019 08:29:09 9,145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tilly is basically space Foggy.
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Jan 2019 08:44:47 6,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    nod to the cage
    What? I missed that.
    AN ACTUAL REFERENCE IN PLAIN BLACK TEXT ON WHITE PAPER WINK WINK.
    The completely random piece of paper (first appearance of this rare substance ?) Pike found, 51min. Guess housekeeping hadn't been in.

Finding that meant I had to hear "this is the power of math people ! C'mon !" again. Urrrgh.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Jan 2019 11:00:00 32,585 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's from a fortune cookie. Remember Lorca kept a bowl of them on his desk, something to do with his family having made them back when money was still used. The Cage reference is the obvious bit, but I wonder if the "not every loss is eternal" is meant to mean that the murdered doctor will return, or possibly even Prime Lorca.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Jan 2019 11:01:36 8,991 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm alright with Tilly but she's no Captain Killy.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 11:01:44 21-01-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.