Following Star Trek Page 193

• simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jan 2019 13:09:31 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder what the reaction would be if Tilly gets pregnant by a space ghost
  • captbirdseye 25 Jan 2019 14:31:32 9,057 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lightness is fine but when you've space Foggy shitting up every scene it gets irrating.
  • Technoishmatt 25 Jan 2019 15:17:52 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New episode was great!

A science hack, and general order 1 issues!

What I didn't quite understand though was the point that Discovery couldn't itself create a gravimetric field big enough to fix the radioactive debris, but somehow was able to levitate and compensate for the hunk of rock that was heavy enough to create the field they needed...

Edited by Technoishmatt at 15:18:27 25-01-2019
  • RGeefe 25 Jan 2019 22:25:13 256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Much, much better.

Very much getting to what Trek should be. Tilly still annoys me but I'm seeing some character growth with her. If they can just dial her back a bit then I'll be fine. She's slightly more annoying that baby Wesley but nowhere near as bad as Neelix.

Pike is great. I also enjoy seeing the actual crew do things and I hope we get to see more of the helmswoman and the black girl.
  • JoelStinty 25 Jan 2019 22:49:36 7,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fans of TNG I think will love that episode. Only thing that irked me a little bit was how quickly they’ve gone back to using the spore drive. Though it does seems they got something planned with stammets again with it narratively

I think I’m going to faint
    Do you need help with that?
    No I think I will be ok!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jan 2019 23:56:20 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brilliant

TNG updated with a modern sensibility.

Best / Trekiest episode of Discovery so far?
  • AcidSnake 26 Jan 2019 00:24:12 8,087 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So the captain just goes along for every single away mission now?

Also the technobabble is getting a tad much.

Mycelial network, borderline but OK.
    The tardigrade interacting with it pushes it a bit further.
    Rewriting your DNA with the tardigrade parser genes pushes even more.
    But needing dark matter to replace Stamets because...Well who knows but Tilly? It's a step too far as of yet.

Still enjoyable though.

Predictions for S2:
    - One of the red signals pops up over Kronos and the crew need to stop whoever is threatening L'rell. (Difficult as they saw the signals too and they didn't appear close by to them)
    - Michael has a bad relationship with Spock because they were romantically involved at one point
    - The "angel" is Lorca (because I want Lorca back)
    - The whole season is just a simulation for Tilly's command training program to see which rules she'd break and which ones she'd follow. She'll make captain in the finale and get her own ship. Obviously that ship will be the Kobayashi Maru. And she finally mentions her half-brother Jim Kirk. Also she'll turn out to be Picard's grandmother...
  • Technoishmatt 26 Jan 2019 01:38:08 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They should pay you to write the next season.
  • Dirtbox 26 Jan 2019 06:25:29 91,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My prediction is that a fat, grey Frakes will appear at the end of season 7 and say "End program".
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2019 07:37:59 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    That's literally every episode and movie there's ever been
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2019 08:22:17 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suppose the one thing Discovery doesn't have that the others do is a shagger
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2019 08:23:29 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder if the angels could be a reimagined more alien version of Q
  • JoelStinty 26 Jan 2019 09:09:04 7,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    That's literally every episode and movie there's ever been
    Isn't that just a post Kirk thing. They only brought it in with TNG as they tried to make it as realistic as possible. Most TOS episodes have Kirk going away,

Actually watched Time's Arrow last week when Picard breaks the rule!
  • Nazo 26 Jan 2019 11:17:08 953 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved this episode, things look promising so far from the first 2.
    I hope these mysteries they are setting up are going to be resolved in a satisfactory way though and they aren't setting us up for a BSG style disappointment.
  • nickthegun 26 Jan 2019 11:21:51 77,098 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm glad they are dialing back 'burnham is the chosen one' a bit, too. Robot eye and the woman on the away team have had more lines in the last two episodes that they got the whole of last season.
  • jrmat 26 Jan 2019 16:29:33 53 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Good episode, Drake's directing is good, he really understanda trek and like the last series it showed.

Still not a huge fan but this episode combined the morality play, a bit of science, character development, more and better please.
  • DrStrangelove 26 Jan 2019 17:37:52 13,807 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jrmat Maybe I'm unaware of some "Drake" meme, but if not, Jonathan Frakes directed this episode again.

I admit this was another episode without major blunders, so S2 is a step up from S1 so far. Still I'm not a fan because:

A) characters and dialogue are just too stilted and artificial. Star Trek has never been an example of natural dialogue, but in Discovery it's worse than ever before. It just feels like every scene is made for a movie trailer, overwritten and overacted, even old Trek's little bits of actual human interaction in-between are gone. After 15 episodes or whatever, Discovery's characters still feel like empty shells to me.

B) I still don't like that non-episodic nature of it. Overarching storylines are great if there's an engaging overarching theme/story/whatever if it keeps me occupied. It sucks if it doesn't. And just like season 1, I don't see any overarching theme of any interest. It could happen at some point in episode 4 or 7 or whatever, but that leaves me wondering after each episode why I wasted my time with it.

Again, so far S2 is an improvement over S1, and at least it's about as good as early ENT right now. But that's not good enough.
  • jrmat 26 Jan 2019 17:46:34 53 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DrStrangelove yep, Frakes. Blasted phone autocorrect.

Agree with your points, it's still poor but atleast it's showing some promise.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2019 17:59:27 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's way better than Enterprise
  • DrStrangelove 26 Jan 2019 18:15:04 13,807 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nope
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jan 2019 20:17:10 3,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Enterprise s1 to s3 was shit
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Jan 2019 20:18:27 611 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mental
  • nickthegun 26 Jan 2019 20:27:05 77,098 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The temporal cold war is legit the worst story ever. Even it's name is boring.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:27:19 26-01-2019
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Jan 2019 23:56:41 32,585 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah really enjoyed that episode. Definitely feel like it's finding its groove. Lots of classic Trek in there and I'm liking the overarching plot. Special effects continue to impress and Pike is ace.

I'm personally enjoying these it a lot more than most of Enterprise myself. I really didn't get on with that show. Most of it had either already been done better on Trek before or was just plain dull.

I'm much preferring this updated take on it compared to the Kelvin stuff too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jan 2019 07:26:49 9,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scrolling through Netflix I'm pretty sure I'm seeing spoilers in the thumbnail and expanded card view for Discovery.

Predictable ones perhaps but it does seem like both are probably shown as big reveals in the show itself
  • gammonbanter 1 Feb 2019 20:18:10 1,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I suppose the one thing Discovery doesn't have that the others do is a shagger
    Excellent point, are we agreed

TPS = Kirk
    TNG = Riker
    DS9 = Bashier?
    VOY = Paris
    ENT = Um, Trip?!
    DIS = Georgiou?

Edited by gammonbanter at 20:18:25 01-02-2019
  • BigOrkWaaagh 1 Feb 2019 20:23:45 8,507 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The proper Klingons are back! \o/
  • Nazo 1 Feb 2019 22:15:16 953 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This one felt more like S1 Discovery to me, not as good as the first 2 episodes.
    Also had possibly the least believable thing in the history of Trek Tilly winning a half-marathon

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.