Following Star Trek Page 194

• simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Feb 2019 06:55:22 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Enjoyed the Federation stuff more than the Klingon - as it's all getting a bit Game of Thrones on Kronos - although it was nice to learn that shaved heads were just a fad.

Tilly's story is obviously going to continue but I did think we got the spore revelation out of the way quite quickly. Also, those other cadets must have been proper shit at running for her to stand still for five minutes and still beat them.
  • Technoishmatt 2 Feb 2019 12:08:11 3,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    there was just no reason to have Tilly win! Unless the spore that gave her a physical and psychological performance.

Enjoyed it tho! Georgiou is basically better than Boba Fett.
  • Dirtbox 2 Feb 2019 15:25:20 91,038 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's exactly what it did, which is why it was pissed off when Tilly gave Micheal credit.
  • Bambot 2 Feb 2019 16:55:36 1,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm really enjoying it, almost as much as I enjoy watching people who take Trek way too seriously dismantling every scene piece by petty piece. :D
  • gammonbanter 3 Feb 2019 11:05:33 1,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to 'Lower Decks', that Ric and Morty guy is a massive Trekkie..."Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: 'I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,'

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/02/02/star-trek-lower-decks-animated-series-alex-kurtzman/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Feb 2019 12:38:22 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I remain extremely sceptical about Lower Decks.

I love Star Trek and enjoy most of Rick and Morty but I can't see the comic sensibility of one fitting the setting of the other at all
  • gammonbanter 3 Feb 2019 13:01:17 1,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I remain extremely sceptical about Lower Decks.

I love Star Trek and enjoy most of Rick and Morty but I can't see the comic sensibility of one fitting the setting of the other at all
    Hopefully he's enough of a fan that he knows where to draw the line!

On that point, where are the future ST writers / fans going to come from?! I've also thought that Star Trek may loose relevance after 2050 when we should have made first contact, although I think we're on track for ww3 so you never know! 😉
  • RGeefe 3 Feb 2019 13:01:28 256 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    latest ep really jarred me a lot but I can see it was a set up for other stuff. random thoughts.

bollocks would Tilly win a half marathon. also why are they doing it on a ship? she doesn't have to WIN it. she just needs to do it. plus where was the build up?

he's not Ash. he's Clem Fandango. just bin him off.

why didn't Saru or anyone attempt to communicate with the spore thing? that's what Trek is about. but nope - KILL IT. would have been a really good place for Pike to get involved and do the morality thing.

on the whole it really, really was a slog of an episode. after the brilliant first two, this one brought the whole thing to a screeching halt.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Feb 2019 16:29:35 13,807 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    why didn't Saru or anyone attempt to communicate with the spore thing? that's what Trek is about. but nope - KILL IT. would have been a really good place for Pike to get involved and do the morality thing.
    That annoyed me too, but to be fair that sometimes happened in old Treks too. Sometimes they instantly go to full confrontation with some intruding life form, provoking a dangerous fight to the death, without even bothering to ask it what it wants. I know ENT did it, but I'm pretty sure it happened on TNG too, just can't recall which episode that was. I just recall that it annoyed me.

But of course, the difference is that TNG had already had a lot of episodes of talking before attacking, which made it kind of an odd exception. DSC hasn't established anything of the sort yet, actually in the very beginning it made a point of attacking first if in doubt, so it's less surprising here I guess.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Feb 2019 16:32:02 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Discovery exists in a time of massive space wars though. Sisko was much less understanding than Picard when things kicked off with the Dominion and Janeway could be harsh when needed too.
  • Razz 3 Feb 2019 23:00:29 596 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just liked hearing a Caribbean accent in Star Trek, first time I believe. A very passable Bajan accent if you didn't recognize it, I assume her parents are from Barbados as she looks to have the heritage.
  • Technoishmatt 3 Feb 2019 23:09:39 3,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pretty sure they did long runs thru the ship in other series. I have no problem with that, although the strobe effect corridor lighting was a bit nuts. tilly winning was the unnecessary part.
  • gammonbanter 3 Feb 2019 23:12:30 1,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should we be reading into "he's an imposter" or "he's the captain"
  • Razz 3 Feb 2019 23:18:54 596 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nah from its perspective, this is mirror universe Staments that almost destroyed the network
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2019 07:03:15 77,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah, he's the captain that navigates through the network, I reckon, which makes it think he's in charge.

It's paving the way for him to 'retire' into the network to be with his spore husband and protect the network from meanies.

Edited by nickthegun at 07:05:09 04-02-2019
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 11:50:20
    Is this mushroom network nonsense still a thing then?

It's really up there with midichlorians.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2019 12:12:19 77,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It seems to have been sidelined a bit into a magic place where space ghosts live.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Feb 2019 12:16:12 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder if the asteroid can replace a human stuff will come back
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 12:30:33
    I wonder what daft, mad, unbelievable shit they're going to write for this Picard show.

The Federation has discovered that you can create infinite energy from a the DNA of the Earl Grey tea family of plant, and all the aliens are trying to broker favorable trade deals with earth as it won't grow anywhere else. The Federation calls up the only man who still drinks it to broker the peace.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Feb 2019 12:33:49 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elderly Picard back on his family's oddly medieval vineyard drinking tea and boring the great-nieces and nephews with tales of being trapped in caves and the Holodeck malfunctioning
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 12:36:47
    Following the 'action man' they turned him into in the films, Picard is now an MMA fighter, the Undisputed UFP Champion, knocking out a forehead of the week alien in each episode, completely turning his back on ideas of peace, exploration and understanding. Picard: Bloodsport.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 12:37:13 04-02-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Feb 2019 12:40:58 9,617 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He can fight The Rock if he comes back to avenge his loss to Seven in Voyager
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Feb 2019 12:44:58 10,244 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope they have him come out as transspecies.

I want him to start identifying as a Bolian.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 12:55:26
    He now works for his local B&Q and it's a docusoap following his downfall from Captain of the flagship to having to dress up as a lightbulb on a sunday near the road to get more footfall in the store.

"THERE ARE MORE LIGHTS than at rival shops! Check our range of bulbs and get ready to MAKE IT GLOW!"
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Feb 2019 13:38:28 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I'm completely honest, I don't really get all the hatred for the spore drive stuff. Not sure how a space fungus that envelopes the universe is more unbelievable than incorporeal aliens that live inside wormholes, space radiation that lets people live forever or any of the other random scifi shit that Trek has done before. It's just another crazy space life form.

Crystals that let us move faster than light: tick
    Fungus that exists throughout the universe: fuck off

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 13:39:18 04-02-2019
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Feb 2019 13:46:54 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway I enjoyed that last episode. I thought the Klingon stuff jarred a little with the Discovery story, mainly because they weren't really connected. But it was good to see the development of the Empire etc. I also liked the ending and am interested to see where they take that plotline next.

With regards to the Tilly stuff, yeah I'm guessing that the spore helped her win, and that there will be an attempt to communicate with it next episode. I also really like the Amanda stuff, although I hope they tell us what happened between Michael and Spock soon and stop teasing it out.

Pike had a pretty small bit in this episode but he really is fantastic. This season is such an improvement in tone IMO, a large chunk of which is due to him.
  • Bambot 4 Feb 2019 14:01:30 1,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    latest ep really jarred me a lot but I can see it was a set up for other stuff. random thoughts.

bollocks would Tilly win a half marathon. also why are they doing it on a ship? she doesn't have to WIN it. she just needs to do it. plus where was the build up?

he's not Ash. he's Clem Fandango. just bin him off.

on the whole it really, really was a slog of an episode. after the brilliant first two, this one brought the whole thing to a screeching halt.
    Wasn't the whole point of Tilly winning that she shouldn't have been capable of winning? My take was she won the marathon because the spore inside pushed her harder than she'd be capable of normally. That's why it was so pissed off when Tilly didn't give it the credit and instead credited Michael's training (or something).

I don't believe they killed the spore, did they? Maybe I missed something at that point but didn't they quarantine it?

I'm surprised people find this show so hard to enjoy. I'm having an absolute blast, really enjoying it. Ah well.
  • Bambot 4 Feb 2019 14:02:36 1,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    If I'm completely honest, I don't really get all the hatred for the spore drive stuff. Not sure how a space fungus that envelopes the universe is more unbelievable than incorporeal aliens that live inside wormholes, space radiation that lets people live forever or any of the other random scifi shit that Trek has done before. It's just another crazy space life form.

Crystals that let us move faster than light: tick
    Fungus that exists throughout the universe: fuck off
    Totally agree. Loving the show. Even enjoyed the first series a great deal. Ah well!
  • Bambot 4 Feb 2019 14:05:29 1,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Is this mushroom network nonsense still a thing then?

It's really up there with midichlorians.
    What exactly is the issue, bearing in mind ALL the other utterly impossible nonsensical spacey wacey scifi impossible tech they've employed in every other series. Like, a holodeck that once you're in it you can walk for miles and you never seem to reach the walls of the holodeck itself? Warp speed, what's that about exactly? Laser guns, they're totally made up. Almost all aliens, especially Starfleet crew, are basically a humanoid shape with rubber-mask heads, huh. The universal translator that doesn't require any processing time, and appears to alter the movements that each speaker's lips make to look like they're speaking English no matter what their native language is, and works for multiple different language-speakers in the same conversation without any sort of implant required?

What's the threshold for plausibility?

Edited by Bambot at 14:07:44 04-02-2019
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 14:28:20
    @Bambot All of those things you've mentioned are or were plausible with the science at hand at the time.

Warp speed is bobbins, but it was once an idea, and I think is still discussed in some form. Believable.

Holodecks are basically VR. I never really cared about the walls to be honest. I'm sure it could be explained away easily enough. The floor moves a bit. There. Believable

Aliens - explained in canon why they're all mostly humanoid and obviously a production constraint (you'll no doubt remember I didn't give two shits about the Klingon redesign, it's just costume). It's also backed up by real science. I've read a few things about convergent evolution that support it. Believable.

Laser guns are made up eh? You might want to have a read about that.

Universal translator. Something we have a primitive version of on our phones. Instant translation will be possible this century I expect. If not within a few decades or so. Believable. Your comment about lip syncing I believe was addressed in that short film with Tilly. I liked that.

The main difference for me is, with all those things, I find it very easy to suspend disbelief.

It's also a lot easier with them as they're mostly not the foundation which the show is based on, rather ideas that are explored in the occasional episode here and there. Which I can again deal with.

You could have made a strong argument by mentioning the wormhole aliens in DS9. But again, I went for it because they're aliens. Star Trek has lots of different types of aliens.

The magic mushroom drive is bordering on science fantasy nonsense and was an integral part to the whole first season. I read that they plucked this mushroom bollocks from a since discredited science paper.

IMO, even for Star Trek with its litany of bad ideas, it's absolute plop and it was a really bad decision to anchor the whole show around some Star Wars type magic idea with no basis in science.

What's the threshold for plausibility?

Right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 15:59:26 04-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.