Star Trek Page 195

• drhickman1983 4 Feb 2019 18:22:52 5,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still liking Discovery more than Voyager. New episodes seem a bit more "classic" Trek, at least in comparison.

I'm one of the few who didn't really mind the first season though.
  • jrmat 4 Feb 2019 21:00:22 35 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Jyzzy-Z Yeah, with TNG and the other 90s treks you got the impression they really tried to make it as believable as possible and were aware they were always verging on the ridiculous. Whereas with Discovery they seem to have thrown that away completely, the whole tardigrade and spore drive was and still is silly.
  • Razz 4 Feb 2019 23:35:04 561 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well that's not hard, Voyager was terrible.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Feb 2019 00:28:31 9,146 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just watching Voyager Persistence of Vision now.

Such a troll.
  • drhickman1983 5 Feb 2019 00:43:30 5,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Voyager was pretty terrible though. Maybe terrible is the wrong word. Dull might be better.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Feb 2019 05:42:50 13,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Voyager's biggest problem was that it ran out of ideas after one episode
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Feb 2019 06:49:07 9,146 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I like Voyager although if anything I'd say it's problem is that it has the dullest core cast of the 90s Treks.

Considering a bunch of them were terrorist rebels, another a imprisoned renegade and others aliens who've never met or worked with the Federation before everyone seems to be very by-the-book and sticks to protocol far more than the crews of the Enterprise or DS9.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Feb 2019 07:45:16 696 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I just finished Discovery S1, and I get some of the complaints, but honestly to me it’s not that bad. Actually put me off watching it until now due to people complaining(which is stupid obviously).
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2019 07:47:02 76,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, voyagers problem was that the cast were all boring, they couldn't really be replaced and they were given the most turgid, milquetoast scripts.

Janeway was an ok captain but they didn't make enough of her struggle at having to be a hardass because because she needed to be. Having her escape into poetry land wasn't really enough.

But in the end, they just became space jovos, travelling the galaxy, spreading the beige word of the federation.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Feb 2019 08:27:04 32,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agree, Voyager really missed a chance to show how difficult it could be to maintain Federation ideals so far from home. Not enough crew tensions, hard decisions, etc. Some great stuff in there for sure, but the something like the crew of the Equinox was probably the more interesting path to have explored.

Imagine if halfway through the show you'd come to hate the captain and she was arrested and left on a planet etc. BSG did a much better job at that sort of conflict I thought, before it shat itself in the last stretch. I guess after DS9 the producers just wanted another TNG.
  • gammonbanter 6 Feb 2019 03:16:08 1,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved it in the when the spore drive powered up for the first time in the second season! BLACK ALERT!!

Any chance Lorca is in the mycelial network?Mirror universe Georgiou is a "good guy" now (and she used to eat people!!) Lorca doesn't seem that bad by comparison, he could be redeemed!
  • Saul_Iscariot 6 Feb 2019 04:21:58 3,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz I am sure that the Year from hell was supposed to be an entire series but they ditched it as they thought that people wouldn’t enjoy a bleak Star Trek series. It would have predated BSG by nearly a decade. I think if they had told that story then Voyager could have had a chance at being a real classic.
  • gammonbanter 6 Feb 2019 17:20:27 1,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz I am sure that the Year from hell was supposed to be an entire series but they ditched it as they thought that people wouldn’t enjoy a bleak Star Trek series. It would have predated BSG by nearly a decade. I think if they had told that story then Voyager could have had a chance at being a real classic.
    One Ronald D Moore did not let that idea go to waste!
  • JoelStinty 8 Feb 2019 12:00:37 7,257 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This weeks episode is pretty great. A lot of stuff happening.

I don't recall a main character evolving in a Trek before either which is cool.

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:00:50 08-02-2019
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Feb 2019 13:58:06 32,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't think you need to spoiler the wanking scene do you?
  • DrStrangelove 8 Feb 2019 17:03:58 13,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • SnackPlissken 8 Feb 2019 17:39:26 696 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I’ve gone back to TNG after Discovery S1. Really takes me back to watching it at night on BBC2. Ah memories.
  • DrStrangelove 8 Feb 2019 18:12:12 13,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Everytime I see people from the Enterprise (including Pike and his entourage in ep. 1) in those retro TOS jackets I think they look pretty nice... and everytime it hurts my eyes to see how shite Discovery's uniforms look next to them
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Feb 2019 00:46:04 9,146 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was such a shame that Pike changed from command yellow to Discovery jumpsuit
  • nickthegun 9 Feb 2019 08:46:21 76,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would have made him look ridiculous every time he's on screen.

I was thinking about the trailer and how seemingly disingenuous it is in retrospect. It made disco look like another season of pew pew pew but it's actually gone the other way and is starting to be nice and Star Trekky. Maybe they should have done another trailer for the 'wah, they just shoot things' crowd.

And they can probably wrap the Tilly thing up now. It was fun enough but move the plot on now, please.
  • RGeefe 9 Feb 2019 09:40:19 206 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Much better episode. Tig Notaro is just such a fantastic addition and I really hope she becomes part of the regular cast - I assume she will replace Stammets at some point. She manages to channel the surliness of McCoy but with much better wit.

Saru's speech was brilliant and genuinely had me feeling like he was actually going to die. Good work on the writers for actually creating a sense of genuine peril for him, as well as Tilly - who I found much less annoying this episode.

However, and this has always irked me about Trek, cultural references are always bloody 20th century things. Mentions of Prince and Bowie in the same ep. Just always sticks out.

Probably my favourite episode of the series, so far, which is just head and shoulders above the first. Whatever happened behind the scenes has been a real improvement.
  • nickthegun 9 Feb 2019 10:07:19 76,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, at one point I said to the mrs 'hes been talking for too long. He's definitely going to buy it'. Good fake out.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Feb 2019 23:04:31 9,146 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That was such a good episode. Real classic high concept Trek plot told with big cinematic production values.

Plus the sub-plot with Tilly had the stakes elevated all the way up.

And Saru, oh man.

Love that Tig Notaro is back too. I hope she's going to stick around.
  • drhickman1983 10 Feb 2019 16:00:12 5,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last episode was great, felt closer to old-school Trek. The whole communicator sequence was pretty good.

Tig is a good addition, hope she sticks around, and Saru's arc and the dilemna he faces has a lot of potential.

Michael is still quite boring, though, and whilst I like Tilly and Stammets the whole mushroom plot is a bit meh.

The pop culture references bug me though. I could live with one character being into music from our period, but it should be met with blank stares from other characters. Two people knowing Space Oddity felt wrong.

I do like the seemingly increased use of similes when describing sciency stuff, though. And it's good to see the bridge crew getting a few lines now.

If they kept the current crew, focused less on Michael and expanded the presence of the others, and had a more episodic format (but maybe keep the Saru storyline as an ongoing arc) I'd be really quite happy.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 16:06:09 10-02-2019
  • RGeefe 10 Feb 2019 16:41:34 206 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:

The pop culture references bug me though. I could live with one character being into music from our period, but it should be met with blank stares from other characters. Two people knowing Space Oddity felt wrong.
    These annoy the shit out of me. First Tig's reference to Prince and then that little sing-song. Why couldn't it have been a nursery rhyme or something? Or just a made up song?

There's no way that in 200 years people will know Prince and Bowie. Hell, even teenagers in 2019 don't know Prince and Bowie.
  • drhickman1983 10 Feb 2019 16:55:25 5,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could accept one character bring into that shit as a quirk. Like Sisko being into baseball, or Picard's noir detective streak.

If Tig had mentioned Prince and was met with blank stares, or if Stammets had no idea what Space Oddity was I'd feel a bit easier about it.

Would have been even better to use some made up song.

Or go really uncool and have Tilly's favourite song be something by the Vengaboys.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 16:56:01 10-02-2019
  • RichDC 10 Feb 2019 18:36:19 8,100 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it's pretty well established that between now and First Contact there is no culture. We must surely be about to face a great calamity which results in all the arts being cancelled.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 16 Feb 2019 09:30:56 8,352 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't like that one, really. I was never really sold on mushroom warp but now the mushroom kingdom can bring the dead back to life?Ehhh...

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 09:32:04 16-02-2019
  • nickthegun 16 Feb 2019 09:35:03 76,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it was a load of hand wavey bullshit to walk back killing a character who never should have been killed. Worst episode so far by some margin. And 'hes your liaison now, dave' coming out of nowhere, too.

Michelle Yeoh continues to be amazing, though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2019 09:36:42 9,146 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Between the mushroom kingdom, Section 31, the mirror universe and the resurrection this one was a bit of tangle plot wise.

I enjoyed it but I think it was probably trying to do too much for a single episode

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.