Following Star Trek Page 209

• arty 12 Apr 2019 20:00:20 513 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Burnham sure is good at crying on demand.

Anyway, that Enterprise! :o

Edited by arty at 20:00:35 12-04-2019
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Apr 2019 21:32:45 22,405 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There has been quite a lot of impending doom broken up by long speeches and emotional flim flam in this series.

Overall I have quite enjoyed it, the mid point before they started to try and explain things was really quite good. They have doubled down on mad nonsense which I have enjoyed greatly.

My one complaint is a total lack of diagnostic levels. They could have got to at least level five.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 21:36:35 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm still holding out for a problem that can be fixed with some kind of particle stream directed from the deflector dish
  • arty 12 Apr 2019 21:48:09 513 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I think you'll find there was a distinct lack of spacial anomalies as well as diagnostic levels.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 21:57:39 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    arty wrote:.

Anyway, that Enterprise! :o
    Very much so
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Apr 2019 21:59:16 8,511 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nemesis She was in one of the shorts in between seasons.
  • AcidSnake 12 Apr 2019 23:11:53 8,088 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had the same thought occur as Darmok, surely spore jumping a few quadrants away would give them at least the time necessary to finish their speeches/start charging the crystal?

And if Discovery is now merged with the Sphere data and it raises shields if you shoot at it how about arming some torpedoes inside? It's got a bunch of them in stock, just throw a match between them or something?

Also, how did Enterprise just outrun the Section 31 ships (going from a 5 minute lead to a 10 minute lead) when Section 31 ships are faster than regular ships anyway?

Also, final idea, why not jump Discovery half way to the Mycelial network, like a few episodes ago, and let it be dragged in and slowly recycled? That would even give Stamets and the others time to evacuate...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 23:37:48 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never mind Enterprise outrunning the assimilated fleet - what about Sarek doing it?!
  • AcidSnake 13 Apr 2019 00:01:41 8,088 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Never mind Enterprise outrunning the assimilated fleet - what about Sarek doing it?!
    Thought about that too, but he could've come from the opposite direction and been closer to begin with...
  • DarmokJalad 13 Apr 2019 09:19:15 63,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @AcidSnake sokath! His eyes uncovered
  • RGeefe 13 Apr 2019 10:09:58 260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Honestly I struggle to name half of the cast outside of the core ones. Who's the black girl at the helm? Or the ginger weird eye one? Or the black guy? Or any of the other bridge crew.

I'll give series 3 a go but it's going to be a struggle for me. I can even name more characters in Enterprise and I only watched a handful of that. They absolutely need to go to single episode stories next time round with 2/3 parters for the good stuff.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Apr 2019 10:13:33 13,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owosekun and Detmer. But they're probably the only ones outside the main cast I can name too.
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Apr 2019 12:03:12 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also you don't know much about these bridge crew members, at most they just have names but tend to be forgettable. The writers spend all the time on Burnham and she is the worst character of them all. The automatic doors have more personality than her.
  • Nemesis 13 Apr 2019 12:27:55 19,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    @Nemesis She was in one of the shorts in between seasons.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh gotcha.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2019 12:43:52 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is there only one of the shorts left to be addressed in this series?
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Apr 2019 12:44:43 22,405 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @arty it is clearly not proper trek. Where the fuck is the holodeck Earth episode japery? Rubbish.
  • DarmokJalad 13 Apr 2019 16:42:26 63,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The writers spend all the time on Burnham and she is the worst character of them all. The automatic doors have more personality than her.
    oh just piss off
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Apr 2019 18:55:25 8,511 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shaka, when the walls fell
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Apr 2019 19:04:33 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DarmokJalad wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The writers spend all the time on Burnham and she is the worst character of them all. The automatic doors have more personality than her.
    oh just piss off
    some one is touchy today

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 19:05:25 13-04-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2019 19:52:31 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know I nitpick but I have enjoyed both series so far.

I wonder if the third will see another epic sector wide crisis or if they'll do some more regular Star Treking
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2019 08:09:00 77,113 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's been progressively more to nitpick and I felt it kind of shat the bed a bit this week.

Those space corridors felt like a 'saucer separation' moment, the time crystal is still too much like magic, a throwaway mention that not-Borg somehow cut all subspace communication, two consecutive 'We love Burnham' scenes and, if they are making a suit, why the hell would it be keyed to her mum's DNA?

There are more but this was the episode where I stopped being able to overlook it.

My hope is that they seem to be recalibrating the series to, hopefully, make it Future Voyager, at least for a while. It's now completely obvious that prequel series/movies are far too problematic, so they need to move past that. Pikes probably been the best part of the series and they couldn't keep him. They even wasted Mystique as Number One because Discovery has more middle managers than my office.

I *really* hope they follow through with sending everyone into the future as I don't think it will survive another series of just poncing about the edges of that timeline.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2019 09:29:01 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Agree that it gets more "wait, what?" as it's gone on. It's been true of both seasons that the long arc and Burnham-centrism have been where it's fallen down. There is a lot of good stuff and the supporting cast is strong when it's allowed room to join in.

Im not sure where they go from here, the presence of the Enterprise with Pike being as old as he is would suggested we're getting very close to it butting into the existing TOS timeframe.

I suppose the five year mission would take care of the Enterprise but I'm not sure what Discovery does next. Does the future short mean that Discovery is stranded as part of the next episode? Are we going to end up with a Red Dwarf 6 set up with the crew trapped in the future without Discovery trying to find it so they can mushroom/time themselves back home?
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2019 09:54:09 77,113 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The time crystal magically fuses with the spore drive using the organic cage thing the queen was using and the show becomes Star Trek: Quantum Leap and they are the other red lights.

S3 follows their wacky hijinks solving mysteries through space and time.
  • Nazo 14 Apr 2019 09:55:10 954 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the pacing works against the show, in classic Trek there would be a lot more time to digest events and develop the plot, with DSC it feels like they are frightened of not keeping everything moving along at breakneck speed.
    Events like the thing with Tilly and 'May' would have been better served as their own dedicated episodes. As is there are so many different things going on and once it's difficult to know what's an important part of the arc and what's just story of the week(s).

Rebooting it in the future might not be a bad idea but they need to find the heart of the show soon or it's in danger of becoming another Enterprise with no character of its own. As much as people say that other Star Trek shows got off to bad starts, they all had a theme that remained constant.
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2019 10:02:24 77,113 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think 14 episodes would be enough to tell a story if it was more focussed. The Expanse manages it in less.

It's a shame but the better episodes this year have been the more 'traditional' star trek ones, like the battery one.

Oh, and speaking of Tilly, her character is on a bit of a tipping point. At some point, someone would tell her to shut the hell up.
  • gammonbanter 14 Apr 2019 20:07:23 1,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DarmokJalad wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    oh just piss off
    She's a good character, I only dislike it when the writers use her to shoe in fan service drivel about how amazing Starfleet / Federation is
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2019 20:25:12 77,113 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She's turning into a bit of a Lana Lang. She was fine when she was a pariah but now we can't go five minutes without someone saying how amazing she is.

Last night we got:

- her adoptive parents turning up to tell her how amazing she is
    - her ship mates turning up to tell her how amazing she is
    - ash telling her how amazing she is
    - pike saying 'it was an honour serving with you all. You're all amazing. Especially you, you're the most amazing, Burnham'

All within the space of like 20 minutes.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Apr 2019 20:56:01 13,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In series 1 they had her face frozen without expression almost all the time. In series 2 they made her cry almost all the time. I don't think they really have a concept for this character.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2019 21:05:05 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The time crystal magically fuses with the spore drive using the organic cage thing the queen was using and the show becomes Star Trek: Quantum Leap and they are the other red lights.

S3 follows their wacky hijinks solving mysteries through space and time.
    Star Trek: Sliders is genuinely one of the most likely paths I think series three could take
  • jrmat 14 Apr 2019 21:13:43 55 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    In series 1 they had her face frozen without expression almost all the time. In series 2 they made her cry almost all the time. I don't think they really have a concept for this character.
    Quite. I did not think it's SMGs fault as it is with the writers. Lorca and Pike have been the only decent characters. The others are either in the background or clichés.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.