Star Trek Page 231

• jrmat 3 Feb 2020 20:31:11 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For fiction to work you have to be able to suspend your disbelief. Anything that takes you out of that state ruins the whole point of it. If someone is playing a romulan but doesn't sound like one then it will do a disservice to the show. That said in this case it's the least of the shows problems.
  • Technoishmatt 3 Feb 2020 20:34:28 3,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sucks for you! We had zero problems with it. Tbh I didnt notice it.

Watched one of those youtoob vids about all the references to episodes gone past and it was pretty cool! Loads of not in your face ST universe references.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Feb 2020 20:47:12 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love the idea that someone playing an alien, on a show about space communism with space travel at impossible speeds and teleportation, wrecks the filigree of plausibility by having a Derbyshire accent instead of the correct South Yorkshire drawl
  • johnnyrocketfingers 3 Feb 2020 21:26:14 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    How does a "Romulan" sound like, there is no specific or declared canon "accent" for all Romulans. It's petty is what it is. I'd invite you to rewatch all previous shows with Romulans in them, you'll find a variety of voices to represent them, in part to having a variety of actors!

I'm really enjoying the show, sure there is a bit of a nostalgia click that finds things so different but that's fine. In-universe the story is set at the turn of a century. A lot of events have happened since the 2360s in which we primarily experienced the stories of TNG. War has ravaged the Alpha-Beta quadrants, the principles and ideals of the Federation have been challenged like never before. And in good keeping of the very point of Trek being a thing and what it's storytelling is for, it's a good starting commentary on the issues of our current day.

Still gonna find it weird when Seven appears and talks all normal.

Edited by johnnyrocketfingers at 21:31:38 03-02-2020
  • jrmat 3 Feb 2020 22:23:17 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember Brannon and Braga being interviewed and they mentioned the show was always on the verge of the ridiculous, which is why they felt they had to get everything right so that the show worked for those that "got" it.
  • DarmokJalad 3 Feb 2020 22:50:27 63,737 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You know, all this talk about Aliens having accents reminded me that I always found it weird that Worf didn't have a Russian accent.
  • Technoishmatt 3 Feb 2020 23:12:46 3,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    I remember Brannon and Braga being interviewed and they mentioned the show was always on the verge of the ridiculous, which is why they felt they had to get everything right so that the show worked for those that "got" it.
    Tuvix says hello, also the Enterprise intro music.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 4 Feb 2020 00:19:24 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    DarmokJalad wrote:
    You know, all this talk about Aliens having accents reminded me that I always found it weird that Worf didn't have a Russian accent.
    I like to think that since he was a super "weeb" for Klingon culture and idealised it he also practised/trained himself to be appropriately Klingonese
  • jrmat 4 Feb 2020 12:11:01 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    I actually quite liked the original music, the remix was awful. I was the only one I think...
  • Technoishmatt 4 Feb 2020 14:24:12 3,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    I actually quite liked the original music, the remix was awful. I was the only one I think...
    Eurgh. It was just bearable after the remix.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 6 Feb 2020 00:59:01 2,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watching episode 2. Theyíve got character actors back in!

Still living it, hating the aspect ratio though, doesnít work for seeing the stars.

Patrick Stewart is sooooo good though

Edit: lol Picard getting id

Edited by CrispyXUKTurbo at 01:00:22 06-02-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Feb 2020 07:50:43 12,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    You canít possibly have thought that was a good theme
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Feb 2020 07:50:43 12,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    You canít possibly have thought that was a good theme
  • jrmat 6 Feb 2020 12:43:03 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hated it to start off with and then found myself liking it. Wore me down in the end.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Feb 2020 13:21:37 12,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Musical Stockholm Syndrome
  • HoriZon 7 Feb 2020 00:25:00 14,256 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ep3 was a good one i liked it good to see old Hugh back took me a while to realise who it was though.
  • AcidSnake 7 Feb 2020 00:39:29 8,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, another good one. And seeing those last ten seconds of the episode shows why it has already shown discovery how to do things as if that team were in charge of Picard they would have crammed the first three episodes into a single one just so they could end with the same ten seconds...
  • dsmx 7 Feb 2020 01:41:59 8,510 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's now 3 dam fine and watchable episodes that I'm enjoying and that last 10 seconds....hit me right in the feels.
  • RGeefe 7 Feb 2020 17:37:36 502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I realised that in 1 scene I learned more about the pilot character than I did in 2 series of most of Discovery crew.

Still no idea what half of them are called.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 7 Feb 2020 18:16:45 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Well well well, it's Hugh!
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Feb 2020 19:21:12 2,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not seen 3 yet, sounds like they've made a decent character out of hugh then? I hated that episode
  • dsmx 7 Feb 2020 20:23:47 8,510 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @CrispyXUKTurbo Well, too soon to say about that since the episode isn't...think I'll stop there people moan at the slightest things about spoilers.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Feb 2020 20:37:26 2,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it the tng Borg or the ds9 grow baby? Either way they were both shit episodes.

Do we know when weíll see the first ruler chair manoeuvre? Thatís when shit gets real
  • spurslol 7 Feb 2020 20:39:54 374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Itís taken 3 episodes to cover what they normally managed before the opening credits in classic tng.

Thereís only 10 episodes isnít there?
  • dsmx 7 Feb 2020 21:21:15 8,510 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it might be 11, the first 3 episodes where supposed to be only 2 from what I've been reading.
  • JoelStinty 7 Feb 2020 21:51:50 8,492 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed that episode. Raphi is great.

I canít remember what happened to Hugh. Thought he got left on a planet to be re-assimilated. Think there is a second episode with him in but canít remember it.

This is shaping up really nicely.
  • RGeefe 7 Feb 2020 22:34:13 502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I really enjoyed that episode. Raphi is great.

I canít remember what happened to Hugh. Thought he got left on a planet to be re-assimilated. Think there is a second episode with him in but canít remember it.

This is shaping up really nicely.
    'Descent' was the second one. Spoilers for old TNG but still - Hugh tried to start a little collective of other disconnected Borg but Lore came and fucked it up by taking charge. He activated an emotion chip in Data, sent him mental and got him to join him. Good guys won. Hugh got to lead the group and Lore got disassembled.

Really clever character to bring back. Looking forward to finding Maddox and hopefully seeing what new Soong android he has created - because he definitely has.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Feb 2020 22:58:25 2,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    spurslol wrote:
    Itís taken 3 episodes to cover what they normally managed before the opening credits in classic tng.

Thereís only 10 episodes isnít there?
    Even with all this meetings.

That said Iíve found this to work so for, I still hate serialisation though. Not saying there isnít a place for it, but this is what made trek great
  • Deleted user 8 February 2020 03:17:44
    Really enjoying this too and it's the main thing I'm looking forwards to each week TV wise at the moment.

Edit for auto correct and something about needing the 4am thread.

Edited by MightyPirate at 03:18:34 08-02-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.