Star Trek Page 232

  • JoelStinty 8 Feb 2020 07:37:31 8,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I really enjoyed that episode. Raphi is great.

    I can’t remember what happened to Hugh. Thought he got left on a planet to be re-assimilated. Think there is a second episode with him in but can’t remember it.

    This is shaping up really nicely.
    'Descent' was the second one. Spoilers for old TNG but still - Hugh tried to start a little collective of other disconnected Borg but Lore came and fucked it up by taking charge. He activated an emotion chip in Data, sent him mental and got him to join him. Good guys won. Hugh got to lead the group and Lore got disassembled.

    Really clever character to bring back. Looking forward to finding Maddox and hopefully seeing what new Soong android he has created - because he definitely has.
    Thanks for that. Half remember it now. Been so song since i seen the later seasons.
  • RyanDS 8 Feb 2020 11:20:55 13,006 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn that was good. They really are nailing the balance between nostalgia and current tv here.

    The last 10 seconds of the episode I teared up a little. So so predictable and yet so well done.
  • Akumer 8 Feb 2020 17:13:27 208 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Really liking it so far. It already has better characters than DSC.

    Shame they didn't drop the whole series in one go because I would love to watch some more.
  • RyanDS 8 Feb 2020 17:36:26 13,006 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akumer wrote:
    Really liking it so far. It already has better characters than DSC.

    Shame they didn't drop the whole series in one go because I would love to watch some more.
    I don't know. I quite like the whole chatting about an episode, speculating and gossiping about where it may go. I miss that from old tv.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Feb 2020 17:37:42 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah same.
  • dsmx 8 Feb 2020 20:12:39 8,510 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The fact that you're desperate to watch more shows they are doing something right with Picard and justifies Patrick Stewart coming back the role.

    I do like the discussion, it also gives time for people to let that weeks episode sink in. Watching something all in one go is nice but..what then. You'd have to wait at least a year for the next season. At least this way you lose a couple of months from that wait time.
  • RGeefe 8 Feb 2020 20:57:27 502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think, unfortunately, we're seeing big old-style studios try to keep doing this in the streaming era.

    I am a massive fan of just putting a whole series out but, as analysts have predicted, we're just heading towards the sky/cable method again but with the internet.

    This is a CBS streaming service show and, just like Mandalorian for Disney, it makes more business sense for them to drip feed everything so they keep subscribers for longer.

    Netflix and Amazon's own productions have been good in putting entire series and collections out in one go but they can only do so much.
  • Load_2.0 8 Feb 2020 21:55:12 30,630 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm not feeling Raphi or Rios just yet. Rios especially felt more like a Firefly character than Trek but I'm really engaged and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

    Edited by Load_2.0 at 15:34:05 09-02-2020
  • Technoishmatt 8 Feb 2020 22:05:55 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Raffi / Picard interaction was for me the worst / most unbelievable. It just didnt feel like it made any sense. Like, why didnt he keep in touch at all? Seems really out of character. Yes, he went and hung out at his chateau but it didnt seem like he turned into a complete hermit, just away from Starfleet. Maybe we will see more back story, but so far it was not convincing.

    Rios is at the quirky end of characters which ST has had many of!
  • dsmx 8 Feb 2020 23:28:47 8,510 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Considering how this series has played out so far, chances we will see why Picard didn't keep in touch.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 9 Feb 2020 10:49:31 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Probably moping around in his own misery feeling sorry for himself and not seeing the forest for the trees. He's so upset about the wider ideals/core that Starfleet lost he's not paid attention to his friends.

    Raffi isn't referencing his Chateau for its apparently opulence. Raffi got kicked out of Starfleet; which is something s he clearly wasn't prepared for. Picard was near the end of his career he had somewhere to go and have some semblance of purpose. Raffi was Starfleet through and through at the beginnings of her career and simply because she was a Romulan specialist working with Picard she got caught in his "do what I say or I'll retire" drama.

    We've had a few episodes where pure-Starfleet people lose that purpose when they have no Starfleet to fall back on. It's a good parallel of ex-army people that struggle in the life-after.
  • Nexus_6 11 Feb 2020 10:42:51 4,471 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Raffi was a bit of a dick, both in the flashback and the present time.
  • Nazo 11 Feb 2020 12:19:11 1,183 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not keeping in contact doesn’t seem to out of character to me. Not sure why Raffi got fired just because Picard quit though, nor why she’d be so pissed off as to threaten to shoot him.
  • Nexus_6 11 Feb 2020 14:17:17 4,471 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because she is a dick.
  • Akumer 11 Feb 2020 14:36:05 208 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Not keeping in contact doesn’t seem to out of character to me. Not sure why Raffi got fired just because Picard quit though, nor why she’d be so pissed off as to threaten to shoot him.
    The Federation are right wing now. I fully expect Commodore Ronald Pump to be introduced in Season 2 and Picard is space bernie.
  • Trowel 11 Feb 2020 18:59:52 22,893 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Not keeping in contact doesn’t seem to out of character to me. Not sure why Raffi got fired just because Picard quit though, nor why she’d be so pissed off as to threaten to shoot him.
    Probably fired for calling him JL all the fucking time.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 11 Feb 2020 20:03:20 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Not keeping in contact doesn’t seem to out of character to me. Not sure why Raffi got fired just because Picard quit though, nor why she’d be so pissed off as to threaten to shoot him.
    Probably because she also kept trying to argue the case and was less diplomatic than Jean-Luc. I doubt it's the only flashback we're going to get.

    Edited by johnnyrocketfingers at 20:04:11 11-02-2020
  • Akumer 12 Feb 2020 14:25:21 208 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    More rumours that Alex Kurtzman is getting sacked.

    Apparently the production on Discovery and Picard is incredibly chaotic (no shit), and CBS want to give someone else a go who isn't involved with Bad Robot and JJ Abrams.

    Discovery is likely to be cancelled, that Section 31 show is not likely to see the light and Picard S2 might not get picked up by Amazon, leaving CBS short of cash.

    Apparently, like Star Wars, the merchandising has been awful for the new shows and films. Not surprising when the ships all look awful.

    I really hope they change something. 10 years of JJ trek is plenty.

    Get someone in who actually cares about the franchise and doesn't see it as a titty to milk. I'm sure Ron Moore, Fuller or someone else who has worked on it before and gone on to big things would welcome a return. No Seth McFarlane though please.
  • anephric 12 Feb 2020 17:46:22 3,637 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Orville has been better than Discovery and Picard added together and then multiplied.

    Discovery was bad enough, but Picard really is dire. I don't see what anyone is getting out of it.

    Akiva Goldman's career is a mystery to me, and proof you can fake it til you make it in Hollywood.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Feb 2020 18:08:40 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You are wrong , etc.

    Where can stream orville?
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2020 18:12:43 80,114 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Now tv, is you’re going legit
  • Technoishmatt 12 Feb 2020 18:46:21 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I am not a criminal.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 12 Feb 2020 19:17:55 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    The Orville is awful and typical of Seth's brand.

    Shocked they're trying to judge the Trek franchise in a SW merch way. Man, Abrams really did a number one us by making execs double down this apparently being some cool sci fi thing. It's not cool.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Feb 2020 19:37:33 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    johnnyrocketfingers wrote:
    The Orville is awful and typical of Seth's brand.
    Its nothing like family guy or his films (at the start he had to trick fox to think it was like his brand but it quickly become something different. Season 2 was better than all of discovery (low bar I know) and Picard so far
  • johnnyrocketfingers 12 Feb 2020 20:51:43 233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Nah it wasn't. It's needy fanfic running on gags.
  • spurslol 12 Feb 2020 22:32:18 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Even the Orville is doing serialisation better than disco/Picard though.
  • General_Martok 13 Feb 2020 10:22:35 1,033 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow there really is no pleasing some "fans" .

    "Discovery is shit I want a show set after TNG"
    "Picard is shit, it has swearing and sltge federation isn't perfect anymore".

    Maybe you should just stick to the orville.
  • RyanDS 13 Feb 2020 10:28:45 13,006 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spurslol wrote:
    Even the Orville is doing serialisation better than disco/Picard though.
    Not quite sure how that is possible when Picard hasn't even hinted at a stand alone episode yet and every episode is a direct continuation of the prior.
  • Akumer 13 Feb 2020 12:15:32 208 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Wow there really is no pleasing some "fans" .

    "Discovery is shit I want a show set after TNG"
    "Picard is shit, it has swearing and sltge federation isn't perfect anymore".

    Maybe you should just stick to the orville.
    I think they're both fair criticisms, apart from Picard being shit. I think it's been fairly good so far.

    Discovery is shit, and I think the depiction of the federation as the Republican party is not really in keeping with Rodenberry's vision. However you look at it, it's a fair point surely?

    Nowt wrong with healthy discussion and criticism. Surely what this thread is for.

    I wish they would release Picard on a Thursday in the UK.
  • Akumer 13 Feb 2020 12:17:06 208 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    spurslol wrote:
    Even the Orville is doing serialisation better than disco/Picard though.
    Not quite sure how that is possible when Picard hasn't even hinted at a stand alone episode yet and every episode is a direct continuation of the prior.
    This week looks fairly self contained, judging by the preview.

    Would make sense, as the first 3 episodes were basically like an extended pilot. Probably time for a bit of filler.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.