Star Trek Page 240

• Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 10:51:32 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It all feels like a plot from Star Trek Online. That's not a compliment.
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Mar 2020 11:18:30 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it might actually be worse than Discovery. I'm not sure about that yet though.
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Mar 2020 11:21:54 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On a similar subject, I've always hated Voyager but I just happened upon a random episode on telly the other day and it actually gave me the warm Star trek feels after the piles of slop that are Discovery and Picard that I've endured recently.
    It wasn't even a very good episode. It had fucking Neelix in it.
  • jrmat 26 Mar 2020 11:26:40 198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    On a similar subject, I've always hated Voyager but I just happened upon a random episode on telly the other day and it actually gave me the warm Star trek feels after the piles of slop that are Discovery and Picard that I've endured recently.
    It wasn't even a very good episode. It had fucking Neelix in it.
    Ha, had a similar experience last week. Ended up watching a couple of Voyager episodes, arguably average ones, but it felt like Star Trek, loved that feeling. Don't get it with the new stuff.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 26 Mar 2020 12:00:44 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    It all feels like a plot from Star Trek Online. That's not a compliment.
    It honestly feels like a compliment, at least now. May I ask, when is the last time you played? The ones at launch weren't all that great, though they have mostly been tweaked so there is probably a handful of good ones. But since then there have been some really decent stories. No major gameplay changes to be fair so some missions can still be a bit of a slog, but honestly there are some great stories in there.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:01:02 26-03-2020
  • Load_2.0 26 Mar 2020 12:25:40 31,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heres a mad idea.

If you find a television show so awful, so unbearable, so utterly unsatisfying, that you dont tune in week after week?
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Mar 2020 12:43:33 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I can only speak for myself but I love Star Trek and was really looking forward to a new show before Discovery came out. And then it did come out and it was terrible.
    Then, They announced Picard and I really wanted it to be good and then I watched it. And it wasn't good.
    So, in answer to your question I just really, really wanted a good Star Trek show and so keep giving it the benefit of the doubt.
    Stupid, really, I know, as these "creators" have proved time and time again that they either hate Star Trek or don't actually know what it is or both.
    But you're right, to keep watching it and complaining is pretty pointless.
  • Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 12:50:04 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm literally only going to watch Disco S3 to see how bad it is
  • General_Martok 26 Mar 2020 12:55:00 1,232 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You are literally validating the shows you don't like by watching them.
  • Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 12:56:35 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    That's fine. I liked Picard enough to watch that again. And I'm a big enough fan of the series to watch pretty much anything, regardless of quality.

Enterprise is terrible too. I watched all of that.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 12:58:13 26-03-2020
  • Rivuzu 26 Mar 2020 13:53:43 18,381 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been enjoying isolation by binging through TNG on Netflix. I'm a heathen, as my first Star Trek discovery I watched fully was Discovery and both that and Picard have been abject trash TV.

I'm really enjoying TNG though!
  • Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 13:55:23 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I too have been rewatching some TNG during quarantine. It's still mostly excellent.

I watched The Inner Light last night. I didn't realise that the Picard show theme tune is taken from that episode (when his "son" is playing the flute in the background).
  • WrongShui 26 Mar 2020 14:47:45 6,804 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought overall it was naff, but then the first series of TNG was atrocious, so I'll stick with it.
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Mar 2020 14:49:33 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wel, technically these morons have already had two practice seasons with Discovery..
  • Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 15:19:30 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I watched the episode of TNG the other night where Geordie meets the real Leah Brahms, and is acting like a serial killer because he fell in love with the fuckdoll hologram version of her in a previous series. Really funny/odd/rapey.

It's surprising how many episodes of TNG are actually linked like this when you rewatch it. Most of the Data/Lore/Soong episodes have a common thread and follow on from each other. There's a good Picard/Worf Kilngon subplot that goes over multiple series. They set up the borg in one season, only to wait about 2 years to fully reveal them. Yesterday's Enterprise has implications for several other episodes. There was a reset button every week, but it wasn't in totality.

These new shows could do with some of this level of patience, forethought and planning. There should be a sign on the wall of the writers room which reads "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN A BIT YEAH CHUMS?".
  • Steve-Perry 26 Mar 2020 15:36:20 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    For anyone wondering how the production on these new shows works, or why people are overly critical of the writers, here is a quote from Patrick Stewart regarding the big (unnecessary) twist in the last episode. Don't read this until you've seen the last one:

"I remember the writers worked on that up to the evening before we shot it," Stewart recalled. "And I suggested one or two little tweaks to the script. And [the writers] got it so right."

Now, this is taken from an interview with Stewart from The Hollywood Reporter, and he makes it sound like the writers are working extra hard to keep secrets from the cast, that is was a virtuous action. But it isn't. They're just making it up as they go along. And it shows.

This is a common theme in Kurtzman trek. Sacked producers, showrunners, constant reshoots, constant rewrites, everything is last minute, rushed, tacked on. The guy needs removing for someone half competent.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 15:37:23 26-03-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Mar 2020 17:02:59 4,241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They had practice with discovery, so it should be good out of the gate but its the writers that are not sci-fi fans. They seem to get things to add in to make references to but don't understand the core concept of the series. Its the abrams/kurtzmnan writing method of: STARSHIP GOES BOOOOOOOOOOOMM!!! as RLM says
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 Mar 2020 17:07:00 12,733 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I think it might actually be worse than Discovery. I'm not sure about that yet though.
    They're both horrifically shit in their own unique ways.
  • Gruff 26 Mar 2020 19:46:35 3,592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well I stuck with it in the hope it would improve, it didn't, utter shite.

What a waste.
  • Poorandugly 26 Mar 2020 23:39:48 629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well that was horrible. Last episode was definitely the worst.

Atleast I can look forward to RLM making jokes about it.
  • AcidSnake 27 Mar 2020 00:06:17 8,310 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Downward spiral really...

Had high hopes even after the first few episodes...

That said I don't hate it like some, and it's still ahead of Discovery...
    What they really need to do is make this crew join up with Discovery in a freak accident which kills off Burnham and possibly Elnor...
    And then just have stand alone episodes again...

Also, did I miss something or did Narek not have a conclusion at all? He was taken away by guards and that was it? He hadn't even killed the synth in the end...

I do like they didn't have all the ships just shooting at each other...

Another thing I missed is how evil sister ended up on the cube? Wasn't she on one of the Romulan ships in the fleet?

Edited by AcidSnake at 00:06:44 27-03-2020
  • Steve-Perry 27 Mar 2020 07:54:51 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Oh yeah that Elnor guy. What the fuck is he all about? Swore to protect Picard, hangs around with seven, is a personality vacuum, has zero plot. They just wanted a bad ass ninja because bad ass ninjas.
  • captbirdseye 27 Mar 2020 07:58:10 9,629 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A really bad Legolas.
  • Stuz359 27 Mar 2020 08:11:09 255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Always wanted a mass effect tv series.
  • brokenkey 27 Mar 2020 09:05:22 10,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What was the point of bringing Data back, jut to kill him, and basically nullify his sacrifice at the end of Nemesis. Way to ruin someone's legacy.
  • brokenkey 27 Mar 2020 09:08:09 10,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:

These new shows could do with some of this level of patience, forethought and planning. There should be a sign on the wall of the writers room which reads "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN A BIT YEAH CHUMS?".
    Yeah, but the modern series don't have stand-alone plots for each episode, presumably because the writers can't come up with enough ideas, or its cheaper just to string one idea into a whole series, padded out with people going from one place to another and then coming back again.
  • Steve-Perry 27 Mar 2020 09:12:52 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @brokenkey Even though the format is different, they could still plan it better.

Discovery S1 is a good example. From the pilot onwards it was clear it was being written on the fly.

Shows in Picard, though thankfully, not as much. It is worrying that they were writing Picard's final plot points the night before filming though.
  • Nazo 27 Mar 2020 10:51:05 1,327 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What a cop-out ending, nearly as bad as Discovery S1's bomb in the planet 'resolution'.

Still I'm relieved they didn't put Picard in a younger body
  • jrmat 27 Mar 2020 11:08:20 198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh gosh, completely terrible. They're trying to shoehorn in emotion rather than letting it grow. It's like the plot to a poor sci novel. The writer's just don't have a clue. Even the worst TNG episodes are better than this.
  • Darren 27 Mar 2020 11:08:56 9,597 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OK, so the series has ended and it was okay, sometimes good but mostly just above average. Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were by far the best thing about it but the plot wasn't that great and the secondary characters were not that interesting or well developed IMO.

As for the ending... So Picard dies and is resurrected in an android body with little emotional pay-off. I mean I actually felt more saddened by Data's death than his, mostly because I could not understand why if Picard, a human, could be saved then why couldn't an artificial intelligence? It made no sense whatsoever for Data to die except for perhaps Brent Spiner not wanting to continue the role. In the context of the series though, Data's consciousness could have been downloaded to a different body completely, allowing for a different actor to play the role, much like Doctor Who.

To be honest, at one point, I was half-expecting Q to turn up near the end.

7/10 from me. Entertaining in parts but not that great overall.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.