Star Trek Page 247

Next Last
  • DrStrangelove 21 May 2020 16:36:51 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that scene. I... what? Give some buildup. Some background. Anything. ...nope. It screams like we wanted to have this but we couldn't be arsed to give any back story.
  • Steve-Perry 21 May 2020 16:37:52 1,297 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I mean, I could be really cynical and suggest they shoved it in there when they realised the finale was a train wreck. Kind of helps them deflect attention. "You just don't like it because you're a bigot".

See also Ghostbusters 2016.
  • DrStrangelove 21 May 2020 16:39:09 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess it's kind of telling about the entire approach. We have this idea, and it should be in there. We have no idea how they get there, so just skip that.
  • DrStrangelove 21 May 2020 16:41:14 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The more I think about ST Picard, the less I enjoy it. Sigh. Just watch Orville. It's no classic Trek but it's much closer than any of this crap.
  • DrStrangelove 21 May 2020 16:46:01 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That said, some 8-9 episodes in, Orville has never been nearly as cretinous as any classic Trek would have gotten in at least one episode at this point.
  • Steve-Perry 21 May 2020 17:15:05 1,297 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Being a star trek fan I'm an eternal optimist. DSC S3 is going to be the show of the year!
  • Zerobob 21 May 2020 17:22:10 2,427 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched the Plinkett review last night and I'm so glad I didn't persevere with Picard after the first couple of episodes. Not that I needed Red Letter Media to tell me it's a complete mess, because it was evident from the get go that it simply doesn't have any of Star Trek's values at heart... like, none at all. It's unrecognisable.

I finished re-watching Voyager a few weeks back, and I'm currently re-watching Next Gen for a third time, which only further highlighted to me how completely lacking Picard is as a series, especially when compared to Next Gen. I probably didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but Next Gen has some fantastic writing.
  • jrmat 21 May 2020 18:49:51 198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I still kind of hope they can do a decent 3rd season.
    Lol, nice one.

I have a feeling the pressure has to be coming from CBS management to make it the way it is. Kurtzman isn't THAT bad, he just has to be given some crazy parameters to work around.

Also Stewart in the writer's room. Does he have any writing experience at all. Of course it turned him into a super hero character who is basically Stewart himself but is able to single handedly solve the universe's problems and then come back from the dead.

I got up at 430 this morning cos of the heat. I ended up watching a bunch of Picard reviews all of which ripped the show to pieces. At least this way I got some entertainment out watching it.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 May 2020 18:56:20 4,240 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got this feeling the entire s3 of STD will be how burnham is the greatest person ever for rebuilding the federation in the future, which is just the story for that Andromeda show (which was a old idea by roddenberry for ST that never got used iirc now it just needs some space flowers..
  • jrmat 21 May 2020 19:12:35 198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Discovery and Picard have reminded me of the Simpsons episode where homer finds out he has a brother who owns a car manufacturers. He lets homer build a car and he ended up sticking in a bunch of stuff he thinks is cool but ultimately creates a complete mess that ruins his brother's company. Kind of feels like this is what's happened to Star Trek. They chuck in all the cool stuff from star trek: the Borg, secret societies, martial arts, section 31, 7 of 9, etc etc and end up creating a horrible mess.
  • gammonbanter 21 May 2020 19:33:18 1,905 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I didn't mind Raffi initially, the flashbacks with her and Picard, her being a tortured souls is no problem for me. They just dumped that whole plot and the next relevant thing that happens to her is at the end when she's suddenly with Seven with no build up. What?!
    I heard on the transporter room 3 podcast that the two actresses ad-libed the hand touching scene! Didn't mean they had to leave it in though!?!
  • jrmat 29 May 2020 17:08:12 198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have just discovered audio fan fiction from giant gnome called star trek outcast. It's actually quite good. Up to episode 8, out of 80. I've never given the fan films a chance as I just don't find the quality good enough to be able to get close to suspending my disbelief, mainly due to the acting, direction and set production. Not their fault, having to work with what they've got, but those issues don't really exist with audio
  • Bambot 1 Jun 2020 14:22:03 1,617 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I didn't mind Raffi initially, the flashbacks with her and Picard, her being a tortured souls is no problem for me. They just dumped that whole plot and the next relevant thing that happens to her is at the end when she's suddenly with Seven with no build up. What?!
    I heard on the transporter room 3 podcast that the two actresses ad-libed the hand touching scene! Didn't mean they had to leave it in though!?!
    What upset you about it?
  • gammonbanter 1 Jun 2020 16:54:48 1,905 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    What upset you about it?
    Nothing upset me about it. It struck me as odd and disingenuous, nothing had been leading up to that point. I think lots of people were confused by it, not just I! If they want to build a love story around them in season 2, I think that would be lovely! Although, I think it will take a lot to bring me back to Picard at this point!
  • jrmat 1 Jun 2020 17:00:10 198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The entire series tried to shoehorn in loads of emotion with no build up which made the grenades of emotion they dropped in a complete waste and arguably was upsetting that a show that was once great at doing that is now tries and fails. Perhaps more sad than upsetting.
  • gammonbanter 1 Jun 2020 18:37:17 1,905 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • IRWATWO 23 Jun 2020 14:23:18 702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/unbelievable-star-trek-movie-spoof-snoop-dogg-michael-madsen-cast-tv-series-a9580501.html

Lots and lots of lots of old faces in this. Which doesn't mean it won't be shit, but anyway.

Don't think Michael Madsen was ever it ST, but his sister was.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.