Following Star Trek Page 256

• Steve-Perry 21 Sep 2020 11:24:26 2,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Oh man. SGU was so bad. Those fucking soppy montages with modern soft rock/folk ballads in the background. Absolutely shit and I loved me some Stargate.
  • nickthegun 21 Sep 2020 11:35:20 83,331 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Same. It just completely overdid the angst it made it so jarring.

'We discovered an advanced spaceship flying through uncharted space and are constantly making scientific discoveries and going on adventures but my girlfriend doesnt love me wah wah wah'
  • Steve-Perry 21 Sep 2020 11:37:33 2,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The forced conflict was just awful. Characters were just shouting at each other for whole episodes for no reason. I love Robert Carlyle but I thought his character was completely shit in SGU. Just spend the whole series moaning about nobody understanding him. Wanted to punch him!
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Sep 2020 12:10:35 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't forget the camera close ups and shaky cam on characters faces for dramatic effect. The quick lurches from scene to scene. God, it was horrible. Trying to copy something that was mostly great without understanding why it worked.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Sep 2020 12:37:57 2,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Didn't it also have loads of murders for no reason?

And they body swap back to earth or something nullifying the concept of them being cast adrift? At least Voyager saved that nonsense for later seasons.
  • DFawkes 21 Sep 2020 12:40:42 32,649 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They mind-swapped, not body swapped, but to make it visually easier to us viewers they made them look like the peoples minds rather than the bodies. It came up a little as an ethical issue regarding cheating - is it cheating if it's the persons brain in another body? Like most of the intriguing concepts in the show it largely got ignored as even being an issue.
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Sep 2020 12:44:22 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know if I even finished it. Did they get back to Earth?
  • RGeefe 21 Sep 2020 12:49:35 1,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved SG1 - up until they split the original cast up and it became a Farscape dumping ground. It did a really good Stuck in a Time Loop episode and had fun with sci fi
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Sep 2020 13:35:50 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I couldn't stand Mitchell or and whatever her name was.
    The ori storyline was pants as well. The goauld were great villains.
  • RyanDS 21 Sep 2020 15:28:41 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Have just completed season 2 of DS9. I remembered the last 2 episodes, just. However it's meant I've managed to watch over 45 episodes which I'm sure I hadn't seen. Fantastic, to have that warm fuzzy trek feeling whilst knowing where the characters were going. Will probably never experience that again.

I'm really impressed at how well it stands up now and how strong DS9 started. Looking back first time around I'd only watched a couple of episodes which were the poorer ones by chance, so missed load of good ones. I'd say the average rating of the episodes was better than TNG and Voy, certainly for the first 2 series, however I wouldn't say it had any super stand out episodes, such as measure of a man etc that TNG had. So I can understand it never quite getting the acclaim it arguably deserved.

Will have a go at series 3 but I have a feeling ill be rewarching them rather than going in green.
    Wasn't duet season 2? I would put that up with measure of a man etc as a true classic.
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Sep 2020 15:43:20 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS
    Duet was fantastic. I thought Whispers was a fun concept executed well and the first of loads of great O'Brien centric episodes that came later.
  • jrmat 21 Sep 2020 16:33:55 225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Duet was season 1, yes that is one of the best. I'd seen that one last year and was the only one I skipped it this time so had forgotten.

Liked Whispers too, Colm was a great actor and Miles was a great character.
  • MrWorf 29 Sep 2020 23:02:51 63,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
  • Nexus_6 9 Oct 2020 11:59:51 5,348 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have been watching The Next Generation through on Netflix for a bit now. More or less cherry picking the best episodes and those that develop relationships or lore etc. and those that stick in my mind.
    My god the first series was a pile of gash wasn't it? Fascinating though to watch how the writing evolved, the characters evolved, the actors getting in to their characters, the sets and the direction etc.
    It really found it's groove.
    It strikes me how many bloopers there are too that a casual observer like me was able to pick up - references to decks and sectors changing, people being in different places between cuts. All good stuff.

How badly did Riker the old dog get cock blocked in the Crystaline Entity episode?

Watching THe Chain of Command double header tonight with a couple beers. Anxious to see how many lights there are this time.
  • MrWorf 9 Oct 2020 16:44:09 63,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just watched season finale of Lower Decks. It was amazing, don't miss it!
  • b-rk 9 Oct 2020 16:55:07 1,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just started on ep 24 series 3 of Enterprise. It's been a good ride, series 3 is top-tier. This will be about the fifth time I've gone through Enterprise, a shame it ends on such a shitty final episode.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Oct 2020 19:50:40 15,266 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nexus_6

Yeah TNG S1 is a rough ride. Sometimes I found it pretty good (like the crystals episode), but most of the time it was just rubbish, sometimes downright offensive. I find it interesting how Patrick Steward--renowned for his acting skills and forever tied to the character Jean-Luc Picard--seemed to struggle badly with his new role in the early episodes. It feels like he's lost and doesn't know at all what to do with his role, kinda like "where am I and what am I doing here?"

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:52:10 09-10-2020
  • Nexus_6 9 Oct 2020 20:04:10 5,348 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DrStrangelove totally. It’s the mark of the man that he made it his own pretty much by season 3.

What was the weird talking all about in S1? They would start sentences like ‘conjecture: the blah blah blah’ like they were trying to create a futuristic way of talking. Just shit
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2020 23:52:03 14,876 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    Just started on ep 24 series 3 of Enterprise. It's been a good ride, series 3 is top-tier. This will be about the fifth time I've gone through Enterprise, a shame it ends on such a shitty final episode.
    On my big run through (TNG onwards + TOS and TNG movies) I only lasted halfway through season one of Enterprise. It just takes itself so seriously.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2020 23:54:19 14,876 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Nexus_6

Yeah TNG S1 is a rough ride. Sometimes I found it pretty good (like the crystals episode), but most of the time it was just rubbish, sometimes downright offensive. I find it interesting how Patrick Steward--renowned for his acting skills and forever tied to the character Jean-Luc Picard--seemed to struggle badly with his new role in the early episodes. It feels like he's lost and doesn't know at all what to do with his role, kinda like "where am I and what am I doing here?"
    I think its partly down to him not being a sci-fi actor and that Picard was originally quite a different role, he was the boss but Riker the hero. Once they balanced that dynamic things settled down.
  • gammonbanter 10 Oct 2020 16:28:42 2,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Nexus_6

I think its partly down to him not being a sci-fi actor and that Picard was originally quite a different role, he was the boss but Riker the hero. Once they balanced that dynamic things settled down.
    What do think of the idea that Riker essentially had nothing going on after best of both worlds? He got a fun clone and then got a Dad bod! I obviously still love the character before anyone gets upset!
  • Nexus_6 10 Oct 2020 16:33:53 5,348 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He had a good turn in Chain Of Command but yeah, pretty marginal stuff you’re right.
  • RGeefe 10 Oct 2020 16:42:57 1,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Best of Both Worlds was a really good opportunity for them to pull the trigger on doing something with him, for sure. Even if they'd have given him half a dozen episodes as Captain while Picard gradually reintegrated back into duty.

But, yes, he effectively becomes useless from series 4 onwards. They should have at least addressed his trajectory.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Oct 2020 23:38:18 15,266 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's one of the parts that show how ill-conceived TNG actually was at launch. It was a lot of idealist high concept stuff with little care for actual characters or making sense in general. Many characters (Troi, Beverly, Geordi) never went anywhere, Tasha even less obviously, Wesley turned out to be just an annoyance. Troi even turned out to be a nightmare for writers because they had to find ways to let aliens deceive the crew without Troi instantly calling the bluff. Most of the time they just let her tell the blatantly obvious, resulting in the Counselor Obvious meme.

The idea of Picard was of course the rational captain, but quite transparently Riker was added as a not-Kirk for those who don't like that. He had a few moments, but most of the time he just was kinda there and in the end completely overshadowed by Picard.

And this whole idea of a flagship that is sent into battle and on highly dangerous missions while at the same time there are children and a school on it and the crew spends a lot of time staging Shakespeare and playing string quartets... the cognitive dissonance is strong.

It was more like a stroke of luck that some of the characters (most notably Picard and Data, to a lesser extent Worf) turned out great in the end and that smart writers did really good stuff with them. Q is another good example, first appearing as a copy&paste from TOS's "supreme being playing games with mortals" meme, but soon evolving to someone truly special and the perfect antagonist for Picard. They tried putting him against Riker in one of the early episodes but soon noticed that his real chemistry is with Picard.

Putting off the rose-tinted glasses, in most episodes TNG was really mediocre, and for every fantastic episode there was an abysmal one. The good ones though, hell they were good.

All the more do I appreciate how well DS9 was set up from the start, being much less high concept. Almost all of DS9's initial characters worked well through its 7 years, and there was less cognitive dissonance because it just made more sense most of the time. TNG was special sometimes, but on average DS9 just blew it away.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 23:49:42 10-10-2020
  • jrmat 11 Oct 2020 08:34:12 225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Riker, Data and Picard were the Kirk, Spock and Bones trio. Once it moved past that which took a while it was great. Plenty of dud episodes but I thought all the characters were the most likeable of all the series.
  • gammonbanter 11 Oct 2020 09:37:11 2,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched "The Hunted" last night (after hearing it referenced in LD), great episode!!!
  • gammonbanter 11 Oct 2020 09:42:50 2,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Riker, Data and Picard were the Kirk, Spock and Bones trio. Once it moved past that which took a while it was great. Plenty of dud episodes but I thought all the characters were the most likeable of all the series.
    I remember, with the ol' rose tinted visor placed firmly on, really enjoying when Geordi and Data solved an engineering problem together.

TNG's great episodes overwhelmingly make up for the duff ones, and we can enjoy the bad ones now on new levels.
  • RGeefe 11 Oct 2020 11:19:05 1,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's for those reasons TNG has never been my favourite but it has my favourite episodes.

Every DS9 character has a purpose and different elements to them, even if they're a little thin and they try to make them develop. I fucking hate Jake but he gets growth.

It's a miracle TNG survived the first two series
  • BillMurray 11 Oct 2020 19:34:49 9,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After a slow start, i've absolutely loved Lower Decks. Best Star Trek thing in years.
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Oct 2020 19:45:34 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a low bar.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.