Following Star Trek Page 258

• WrongShui 17 Oct 2020 20:42:07 6,828 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anson Mount IV is my second man crush, I'm totally down for the Pike show.
  • Steve-Perry 17 Oct 2020 20:44:53 2,040 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yeah it should be a bit back to basics hopefully. No season long mystery arcs which end up being a wet fart.
  • spurslol 17 Oct 2020 22:14:18 493 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Book, an animal courier

Shepherd, if you will.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 08:48:49 14,876 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    For me it's not Star Trek, its moronic science fantasy schlock, which can be entertaining.
    I was thinking to myself that it isnít Trek but Iíd probably not watch it if didnít have the name attached.

Its fine though and I know Iíll end up watching it all.

Considering weíre a thousand years in the future very little appears to have changed that much.

Also maybe I missed it but the fall of the Federation seems to be both a recent and ancient event in this timeline, Iím not quite sure how it fits together. Good job space jesus has arrived to rebuild it single handed.
  • drhickman1983 18 Oct 2020 09:56:28 7,120 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried to watch the new Discovery, but just bounced of it instantly. The bit with the guy waking up and his Parrot was fine, then it got to the zippity-action chase scene that Michael literally crashes into, and I realized I really can't be bothered at this point.

So yeah, I should probably at least try and watch past the opening title, but I feel no compulsion to do so.
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Oct 2020 09:59:40 13,166 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I said I wasn't going to watch the new season given how shit the previous two and Picard were.

I got about 5 minutes in and gave up. Stay strong guys, you can do it too.
  • DFawkes 18 Oct 2020 11:41:23 32,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The re-cap at the start really was a worst-of compilation. Everything abysmal about it all compressed into a tiny reel of horribleness.

The first episode itself wasn't the worst thing, and it's already got me cautious optimistic. If Burnham is just a catalyst for starting to get the Federation up and running again and is largely just along for the ride, with the partnership with Book remaining fairly balanced, I could almost be on board with this.
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2020 11:57:22 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God that was shit or at least the first half was then I got up to grab a cup of tea and when I sat back down changed the channel. First star trek in my life I haven't completed the episode. Maybe I just hate the premise of the dead federation.
  • gammonbanter 18 Oct 2020 12:20:14 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I said I wasn't going to watch the new season given how shit the previous two and Picard were.

I got about 5 minutes in and gave up. Stay strong guys, you can do it too.
    I'm doing well so far, the comments on here are helping! I'll definitely watch a summary on YouTube when it's all over, I can live with that.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 12:32:13 14,876 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Would I be mad to say the best thing about Discovery were those short episodes they released between seasons?
  • gammonbanter 18 Oct 2020 12:47:12 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Would I be mad to say the best thing about Discovery were those short episodes they released between seasons?
    No it would not! Why aren't they on Netflix??
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 13:11:41 14,876 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Arenít they mixed in with the trailers at the bottom of the list?
  • gammonbanter 18 Oct 2020 13:13:35 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Arenít they mixed in with the trailers at the bottom of the list?
    Only the first bunch, there are plenty missing from there
  • Bichii 18 Oct 2020 13:41:46 3,596 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure about all the dislike. I love discovery but then I'm not a huge old school trek fan. I enjoyed the modern trilogy, which again I believe trek fans didn't like either.
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Oct 2020 13:45:09 13,166 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't really give much of a damn about it being pure Trek or whatever, but shit is shit and it's shit.
  • Steve-Perry 18 Oct 2020 13:48:48 2,040 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Not sure about all the dislike. I love discovery but then I'm not a huge old school trek fan. I enjoyed the modern trilogy, which again I believe trek fans didn't like either.
    The films are fine.

Discovery is a badly written show. Nothing makes any sense. I don't see how anyone who has watched it can not understand that.
  • Bichii 18 Oct 2020 14:06:09 3,596 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh yeah it definitely doesn't make sense if you think about it. I'm just not thinking too much about all the plot holes.
  • Steve-Perry 18 Oct 2020 14:11:51 2,040 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Well that's my main issue with it. And why I dislike it. I spent half the time trying to work out what was going on rather than enjoying it.
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2020 14:19:34 10,892 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The theme tune fuckin SLAPS tho
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2020 14:21:24 10,892 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wait, I'm thinking of Enterprise
  • gammonbanter 18 Oct 2020 14:56:42 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Wait, I'm thinking of Enterprise
    That theme tune was more Star Trek than the whole of discovery (church episode aside)!
  • RGeefe 18 Oct 2020 15:01:46 1,371 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As others have said - being "Trek" or "not Trek" isn't my issue. I mean, I like different Bonds for different reasons.

I can usually forgive a few plot holes here and there, so long as the main thrust of a story is fine but Discovery is, largely, poorly written with little coherence and too much spinning its wheels. Picard was the same.

A shit script is a shit script.

I'll wait til all the episodes are up and then decide. Though I am genuinely amazed people are calling this amazing when the brand has no real cache and shows like The Mandalorian and Stranger Things operate within the same broad genre and are much better written.

FWIW - I went in to both Discovery and Picard giving them every chance to be good and fucking hated them, while I barely gave Mandalorian the time of day and ended up loving it.
  • gammonbanter 20 Oct 2020 11:01:12 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is a fun rant / essay about the continuity problems associated with Enterprise.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/enterprise_continuity.htm
  • RyanDS 20 Oct 2020 11:10:39 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    New redlettermedia is up with their next 10 favourite tng episodes.
  • Technoishmatt 20 Oct 2020 13:04:29 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didnt hate DSC3:1. I quite like the conceit around suddenly warp travel no longer being (generally) viable. It was explored quite a few times in TNG era episodes.

And 120 years with no more large scale movement of resources and people, I can see how the federation could fall apart at the fringes, it relying on the sharing of knowledge etc.

I think there are major tech holes, eg why not just use relays? But let's see. Not like star trek didnt always just make stuff up / forget about previous science to suit the plot.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 13:04:47 20-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Oct 2020 13:20:16 14,876 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think being so far divorced from the existing continuity should help it too. No more having to accommodate being stuck between Enterprise and TOS
  • Duffking 20 Oct 2020 16:10:32 16,656 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One of the weirder things with modern Trek after watching some TNG is how in that everyone really talks and acts like a super-educated professional and it just does not come across in Disco at all.

Even the newer movies had some semblance of it.
  • gammonbanter 20 Oct 2020 18:00:09 2,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    One of the weirder things with modern Trek after watching some TNG is how in that everyone really talks and acts like a super-educated professional and it just does not come across in Disco at all.

Even the newer movies had some semblance of it.
    Starfleet academy looks insanely rigorous , so you'd hope it would only be the best of the best who make it all the way. When you consider that it has a pool of trillions of people to choose from you'd hope that it would be.

Command officers always come off as a bit thick compared to their science and engineering colleagues.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.