Following Star Trek Page 261

• simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Oct 2020 13:43:14 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíd like to see the doctor and mushroom man have a relationship that goes beyond telling each other that theyíll never leave the other when one of them is dying. I feel like we havenít actually seen them interact as real people yet.

Whatever happened to a good shuttlepod stranding?
  • Not-a-reviewer 29 Oct 2020 14:04:12 6,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Episode 1 of S3 was miles better than Episode 2, largely because it was semi standalone and the rest of the crew wasnít in it. The new guy seemed alright too.
  • drhickman1983 29 Oct 2020 14:09:39 7,228 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Episode 1 of S3 was miles better than Episode 2, largely because it was semi standalone and the rest of the crew wasnít in it. The new guy seemed alright too.
    I preferred ep2 because Michael wasn't in it :p

And I don't think ep1 was any more standalone than ep2. Book seems like a decent character, but that episode did nothing to change my opinion of Burnham.

I *want* to see more of the crew.
  • Nazo 29 Oct 2020 18:47:48 1,518 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the rest of the crew are awful. Was the 'oh my spine, oh my coma' routine an attempt at comedy? It was painful to watch. The only one of the main speaking parts I don't dislike is Saru, although his flappy arms are freaky.
    The rest of them only seem to exist because it would be weird if there was no-one else on the bridge. Android girl a case in point, nothing at all for 2 series then big info dump on her the episode she dies to try and give it some meaning. Looks like implant girl might be going the same way, obviously something is wrong with her but meh, who is she again?
  • Dirtbox 29 Oct 2020 18:53:01 91,595 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The stabs at comedy are all painful. Sneeze scene in the lift being a strong contender for worst comedy scene of all time.
  • RichDC 29 Oct 2020 19:07:52 8,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Looks like implant girl might be going the same way, obviously something is wrong with her but meh, who is she again?
    Three seasons in and I doubt anyone could tell you her name without looking out up. That probably includes other members of the bridge.

Edited by RichDC at 19:08:02 29-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Oct 2020 19:24:25 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I honestly canít remember the bridge crew even having names
  • RGeefe 29 Oct 2020 22:24:49 1,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know she's got a German name. About it.

There's the gay ones - Stammets and...black doctor?
    Saru, obviously.
    Tig - who I am not sure if that's her human name or character.
    Shut up Tilly.

There might be others. I don't care. Saru is all I need.
  • DFawkes 29 Oct 2020 22:46:36 32,690 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Detmer is android eye lady. I remember because every time they say it I think "isn't that a Titanfall map?", which it isn't. That's Demeter, not Detmer.

There is also a chance it's the other way around, but it's definitely not the same.
  • fontgeeksogood 29 Oct 2020 22:47:38 11,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The stabs at comedy are all painful. Sneeze scene in the lift being a strong contender for worst comedy scene of all time.
    There's so much comedy potential in Trek.

Picard: where's number one?
    Data: he's having a number two
    Riker (on the communicator): I can hear you, you know. I picked up some space clap from a space ho and I'm draining some space pus if you must know
  • drhickman1983 29 Oct 2020 22:56:15 7,228 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The crew aren't great but they aren't Burnham.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Oct 2020 23:15:42 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The crew are underdeveloped from lack of screen time. They havenít had a chance to be bad characters yet.
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Oct 2020 08:13:11 3,964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That was fucking brilliant. 2 series and two episodes in, but that felt like Star Trek, finally. Now to watch the Mandalorian.
  • oldschoolsoviet 30 Oct 2020 15:44:27 6,873 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, that was dull.

Yep, struggling for anything else. Oh, they've introduced a new annoying 'tween' character. Great. Just what was needed.
  • Nazo 31 Oct 2020 13:50:52 1,518 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worst one the series so far, the resolution was laughable. "Talking? No, we've never considered it before, why? Wow, would you look at that..."

I guess we've got a whole series of Burnham finding herself to look forward to, aided by her new tween chum, who is not only a genius, but apparently has psychic powers that make even the most cynical crew member blab highly sensitive information for no reason whatsoever.

There's going to be so much to whine and bitch about, I can't wait...
  • RyanDS 31 Oct 2020 14:09:28 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The crew are underdeveloped from lack of screen time. They havenít had a chance to be bad characters yet.
    Umbrella academy and so many other shows manage to introduce all characters in 2 or 3 episodes. Discovery hasn't managed in over 2 seasons. Saru, Tilly and Burnham are the only ones I can name without thinking
  • General_Martok 31 Oct 2020 14:24:44 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It wasn't terrible but Burnham did almost cry again.

Also she looks more attractive now... Small win.
  • RGeefe 31 Oct 2020 14:25:10 1,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The other thing I noticed lacking is the way characters don't refer to either other by name, so you don't get to learn who they are.

If you watch at least 3-4 episodes of TNG era Trek, you've got a captain going "Commander X" or "Lt Y" so you learn who someone is. I suppose that was key in episodic TV, designed for dipping in and out.

I hadn't really noticed this happening. If you're introducing characters in a show, they each need to be given 5-10 minutes to associate them with a trait or type and their name.

EG - we get to meet Saru, his weird arms and his uniqueness in the federation. Lovely.

But what of the rest of the crew? Or even just the ones on the bridge. They're glorified extras. Made worse by the fact that episodes are 50+ minutes, so they can surely squeeze in at least 3-5 minutes per episode getting to know someone.

And to think Denise Crosby left TNG after one series cause they weren't doing enough with her character...
  • stephenb 1 Nov 2020 19:21:01 3,533 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok we get it, Michael and Book have had japes off screen in the year they were together. Except a hard shag by all acounts. The writing in this show is liquid dog shit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2020 20:47:03 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Umbrella academy and so many other shows manage to introduce all characters in 2 or 3 episodes. Discovery hasn't managed in over 2 seasons. Saru, Tilly and Burnham are the only ones I can name without thinking
    Iím trying to think of any episodes that have had concurrent plots running through them.

Thereís no Geordi and Data try to save a dying planet meanwhile Worf is hosting all the ships children for Alexanderís birthday
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2020 23:38:35 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked this weekís episode. The central premise and revelation were very Trek and the addition of Wesley Dax should add another layer of Trekyness to things.

This series does seem to be addressing a lot of the issues the first two had even if the presentation is still quite histrionic and Burnham centric but Iím leaning on the positives.
  • Technoishmatt 2 Nov 2020 12:00:17 4,751 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, it wasn't as polished as a TNG era episode, but the unmasking of the human was fairly classic.

(Another point of annoyance tho - surely there were loads of human bases around the earth solar system - what happened to them? Also, why the fuck couldn't they communicate with Earth. We have probes right now that can send back Comms from beyond the solar system, in previous series they make subspace communicators from twigs, and they can clearly send comms from their ships.

Also, a thousand years and a single modern torpedo couldn't take out the ship? Friggin plot armour.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2020 12:03:54 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I get that The Burn set the galaxy back but even then they had a 700 year head start on Discovery
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2020 12:04:58 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I notice that (like all Discoveryís best) it was a Johnathan Frakes episode
  • gooner77 2 Nov 2020 12:23:57 1,506 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I notice that (like all Discoveryís best) it was a Johnathan Frakes episode
    I think he's directing 2 this season
  • General_Martok 2 Nov 2020 12:35:16 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Yeah, it wasn't as polished as a TNG era episode, but the unmasking of the human was fairly classic.

(Another point of annoyance tho - surely there were loads of human bases around the earth solar system - what happened to them? Also, why the fuck couldn't they communicate with Earth. We have probes right now that can send back Comms from beyond the solar system, in previous series they make subspace communicators from twigs, and they can clearly send comms from their ships.

Also, a thousand years and a single modern torpedo couldn't take out the ship? Friggin plot armour.
    Didn't it take down the shields in 1 hit...
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Nov 2020 11:28:27 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    New ep of RLM top 10 TNG episodes on youtube, really enjoyable. Glad they talked about Yesterday's Enterprise

Never thought about clean up duty in the holodeck after Riker has been in there... ewww
  • Nazo 3 Nov 2020 11:39:13 1,518 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It always bugged me that people were still wet after leaving the holodeck, that holographic water should disappear.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Nov 2020 12:10:29 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Presumably since they can eat the food and drink the drink in the Holosuite its tied into the replicator system so the water they swim in is replicated water held in a holographic structure (pool, river etc)
  • RobAnybody 3 Nov 2020 13:16:05 2,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Presumably since they can eat the food and drink the drink in the Holosuite its tied into the replicator system so the water they swim in is replicated water held in a holographic structure (pool, river etc)
    It's inconsistent though, look at the TNG episode Ship in a Bottle:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ship_in_a_Bottle_(episode)

(see Act 3)

they try and beam a chair off the holodeck and it doesn't work. Presumably if they also carried the chair off the holodeck it would vanish as well, so why doesn't water on clothing vanish? How about food that they've eaten? Are the latter two basically replicated? Food could be but I doubt if water is.

Trek is full of these kinds of inconsistencies particularly where the science is concerned. Sometimes it can be overlooked, other times not.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.