Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Burnham died on the way back to her home planet
  • General_Martok 7 Jan 2021 14:30:45 1,669 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    arty wrote:
    I know it's crap but I'll take any sci-fi at this point
    Last weeks assault on the federation by Princess Fiona was wasn't that bad, was it?
    At this point, the fact that it's a space based sci fi series is the only reason I'm watching it.
  • RyanDS 7 Jan 2021 14:43:00 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what happened in the final then? Wiki hasn’t got a summary.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jan 2021 14:49:40 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spoiler tags please, I’d like to be astonished tomorrow
  • DFawkes 7 Jan 2021 14:56:39 32,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is just a guess. I don't know anything as I gave up on the show a few episodes ago. I'll still spoiler tag it because, as much as this is a post I'm doing for my own amusement, I suspect there are parts that won't be far off accurate.

Burnham cried, committed to an irresponsible, irrational and harmful course of action that doesn't actually work, but things magically resolve themselves somehow and everyone applauds her then cries some more. Instead of being severely reprimanded for her misguided actions, she gets promoted to Captain and gets put in charge of Discovery because the writers are so openly hostile towards any criticism of literally the worst Starfleet officer ever shown on screen, there's no way they don't put her in the chair out of pure spite.

Edited by DFawkes at 17:31:55 07-01-2021
  • MrWorf 7 Jan 2021 16:46:43 63,994 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wonder why they filmed it like a final episode. Were they unsure of renewal? Season 4 has already started filming. Ah well. Pretty fun overall, Superman 3 bit when the computer eats burnham was cool but that fucking turbolift shaft shit needs to fuck off. Also, I wasn't ready for new uniforms, I wanted to see it, but they look so off on the crew.
  • AcidSnake 8 Jan 2021 00:24:30 8,408 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The show has gone so much beyond redeemable I just find it enjoyable to analyse it afterwards for the stupid stupid shit they pour in...

Like someone mentioned before, I'm stuck watching it because I like sci-fi, nothing more...At least we've had Mando and The Expanse is going very strong indeed...

So big bad ship starts bombarding the exterior shield as Discovery has to face all docked ships and they just survive, no issue.

So yeah, either turbolifts shrink into a microcosmos when travelling or the inside of Discovery is at least ten times larger than the ship is on the outside. It's ridiculous how much the scale is off, there's no section in the entire ship that could even remotely house those shots, never mind the lift moving around...

And then they end up in a never seen before room and I genuinely wondered if they were back at Federation HQ or something...
    Naturally the baddie had anticipated Burnham's move and brought just the one grunt along to help? Why not two? Or seven?...

The Sphere data droids served no actual purpose in the end as well, why did they have to shoehorn them in?

So then they're stuck inside the even bigger ship and after doing pretty well considering the hand she'd been dealt Tilly decides Burnham should lead, because of course that has to happen.
    Burnham immediately suggests jettisoning the warp core, because hey, they must all be evil on the other ship, right? It doesn't even serve a purpose, they weren't a threat.
    So Burnham says to evil-ish scientist dude, what about Book? And without context the guy just says, sure, he can pilot Discovery, no biggie. I mean, Stamets learned everything he had to on his first jump too, so, you know, go for it.

The people inside the holodeck can't get out through the broken piece of it because the radiation is too intense, and then a few minutes later do it anyway...

And now, without a warp core Discovery jumps back just in time to beam them out, and the only reason they didn't do that before was because they needed their shield at 100% before attempting it. Owesekun even casually mentions shields holding at 50% when they're inside the enemy ship.
    So with just backup power the dude who has never jumped the ship before jumps and they beam people out without the necessary shields to keep them from being fried and they jump away again...

And to top all that off they just hand Discovery over to the most emotionally unstable starfleet member in the end...And she's genuinely taken aback that Stamets doesn't hug her when they meet again?
    And as an extra gift, new uniforms for all! They even got Book a different one, because at this point who the hell cares?

They never addressed how the baddie knew where to look for Discovery two episodes ago either. I'd have put money on a traitor...

In the end the whole season, yet again, didn't feel planned out and the best bits of it was when Burnham was as far removed from it as possible...
    There was a decent story to be had about the Federation having disappeared and they could have slow burned their way to finding them again, maybe end the season on them finding HQ or something. Instead we get "What's the Federation?" to "Sure, everyone knows where they are, but they don't mean anything" to "We need to ally with you for all that you stand for, you're just that important" to "Back in business!"

Phew...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2021 08:21:38 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just starting now

This episode is a 15? Shit must be about to go down
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2021 09:39:26 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AcidSnake I agree with basically all of this but ... I still enjoyed it.

I’d argue that these last two of three episodes are more comparable to the Kelvin U movies and in that respect if you just got swept along by the action they broadly hold up.

The plot armour and conveniences and nonsense like the infinite turbolift chamber were very cinematic.

To be honest lots of it made no sense based upon the in-universe rules they’d already established.

The ending did feel very final so I’m assuming season 4 will be the soft reboot that I expected this one to be.

Burnham really doesn’t seem like she has the mentality for command.
  • muddyyfunster 8 Jan 2021 11:59:55 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find Discovery more uneven than any show in recent memory. Disclaimer: I'm not a Trek fan and am only vaguel aware of the overarching story and conventions so have no real interest in how 'Trekky' it is or isn't.

Just taken as a generic sci-fi, it flips between clever and stupid, dramatic and irritating, dark and camp so much that it's jarring. I've mostly enjoyed series 3 for what it is, and it's probably the best so far, but it's a long way from the level of my favourite stuff like the Expanse and Altered Carbon.

The Terran bits are bloody awful. It's so over the top, preposterous and camp it's practically panto. I'm not really sure what they were going for but I found it cringe worthy.

Probably my main gripe is that there is never any real tension as it's long been obvious that all the main characters can never die and space Batman will always save the day.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2021 12:06:16 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thinking about it I think the biggest shift that 3 has over the other 2 is that by fleshing out the rest of the crew a bit more there’s actually some emotional investment even if the stakes are never that high.

I also think in this series there have been a few instances that feel preposterous which are quite close to what the 90s series would’ve done but our expectations have moved on. Final episode when they’re dying of no air then the air comes on and they’re find. I think every other Star Trek has done a variation of that and we all just went with it because ‘of course, its TV’ but with cinematic production values and BIG DRAMATIC ACTION being piledriven into the viewer that sort of thing feels really convenient and out of place.
  • Razz 8 Jan 2021 12:07:20 883 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Seems like the first three seasons were a kind of prequel to the actual show, looks like next season will be classic star trek, travelling around the galaxy, "Stardate 31456.2, we have received a distress call from Alderak 4..."-esque stuff. Rather than big bad of the season, just routine closed ended single shows.

Theory, I wonder if Doug Jones is returning next season as a new Alien. I'd quite like that. A kind of Jeferry Coombs situation.
  • muddyyfunster 8 Jan 2021 12:18:12 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AcidSnake Good list.

I'd add to that the way laser cannons seem to work. If I understand correctly they use a percentage based system and it's considered bad form to use 100% straight away. When you are Captain in a life and death situation, you are supposed to shout something like 'quick! We HAVE to stop them' and then ruthlessly tickle the enemy with 30% cannons for a bit whilst sweating profusely. After the grace period has elapsed, and provided you are still really really cross/desperate you may increase the power a bit.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 12:19:13 08-01-2021
  • drhickman1983 8 Jan 2021 12:23:52 7,337 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not been watching, so Burnham is captain going into season 4?

Honestly I can't say I feel like I've missed out on anything.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2021 13:20:07 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I’m kind of interested in the dynamic of the show for S4.

Burnham’s principle character trait has been kicking against authority and now the only people left on board are hopelessly in love with her and Stammets who is beneath her and surplus to requirements thanks to Booker’s evolution
  • AcidSnake 8 Jan 2021 13:57:16 8,408 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe:
    Your running out of air example isn't a like for like situation though. If something like that would happen in TNG and it was suddenly established that Troi has always had the ability to keep her breath for 10 minutes she'd be sent ahead ASAP, she would not have turned around to say "I love you all!".
    Same as when they're saved. In TNG they would've let out a sigh of relief and that would've been it. Possibly because they went through it every other week or because in Disco it's weird how they choose to mourn some characters so elaborately but not others...
    "We're here to mourn the passing of evil dictator lady, she was always a dick to everyone else and had no positive aspects whatsoever. Also, she's not actually dead, she just went back home". Yet when a non bridge crewmember gets killed it's just taken in stride.

The films were a bit different though...

They've been through so much live threatening stuff that at this point these goodbyes are unnecessary. We know how you feel, get the job done!

Also interesting they have only one emergency breathing kit per deck...
  • Razz 8 Jan 2021 14:34:52 883 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And no med kits
  • Scimarad 8 Jan 2021 14:52:06 9,926 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How the fuck does the Discovery have the door warehouse from Monster's Inc inside it???
  • Razz 8 Jan 2021 14:52:52 883 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lmao
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2021 14:53:56 16,065 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    How the fuck does the Discovery have the door warehouse from Monster's Inc inside it???
    I think this might explain something about Burnham. She’s The Doctor.
  • Scimarad 8 Jan 2021 15:07:16 9,926 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Seriously, it might as well be the sodding Tardis for how little it makes any kind of physical sense.

I suppose it doesn't matter anyway as the whole bloody thing is just one long vomit inducing connected sequence of them telling each other how absolutely great they all are as the magical power of friendship solves everything.

I've come to the conclusion that I do not care for it.
  • AcidSnake 8 Jan 2021 15:31:41 8,408 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that I do not care for it.
    How cold, what are you? A Vulcan? Like Burnham?
  • Scimarad 8 Jan 2021 15:40:50 9,926 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The irony of this is that I generally like stuff where people actually get on with each other rather the usual 'everyone hates everyone because drama' that we usually tend to get but Discovery is just...ugh. It just makes me want to throw up.
  • oldskooldeano 8 Jan 2021 16:46:37 3,285 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I just finished this last episode of S3. All I can say is:

I love the watching the Expanse. It’s great!
  • MrWorf 8 Jan 2021 17:05:06 63,994 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'm kind of glad it's all over and the real show can begin. I remember the same kind of comments when DS9/VOT came out. poeple fucking HATED them. Voyager less so. But haaaated all the same. Now DS9 is considered one of the best Treks ever made. Even FUCKING Enterprise managed to redeem itself. Disco, that even isn't as bad as season 1 of TNG can manage to do the same. S4 might be the one.
  • oldskooldeano 8 Jan 2021 17:28:34 3,285 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Let’s hope so mate. I’ve never hated on a ST before, okay maybe Enterprise a little bit. I even liked Picard, but this season of Discovery just bored and disappointed me.
  • gammonbanter 8 Jan 2021 19:05:42 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Not been watching, so Burnham is captain going into season 4?

Honestly I can't say I feel like I've missed out on anything.
    Neither can I, but I wouldn't mind watching a decent S3 summary on YouTube now that it's over!
  • RGeefe 8 Jan 2021 19:21:45 1,623 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not touched series 3 but your summaries make absolutely no sense and I can only assume that is a fair reflection of the show.

RLM pointed out that it has, at one stage, 21 credited producers. The non-Trek fan was absolutely mortified by the inconsistency and quality of the writing in such a big budget show.
  • General_Martok 8 Jan 2021 22:37:06 1,669 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That was shit with some pretty action scenes. What's it going to take for CBS to cancel this shit?

I liked season 2 mainly cause of Pike.

Season 3 descended into a Burnham loving set up.
  • General_Martok 8 Jan 2021 22:39:05 1,669 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also what's with the "We love you" bullshit?!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.